Helpful ReplyHelp me plan a composite redecking project

Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30983
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
2021/07/17 15:59:29 (permalink)
So, the 17 yr old pressure treated deck is showing its age.

Needs more than power washing & stain - due to Several wrapped planks with splits.

Almost 14 ft long (out from house) by 31 ft 1 inch (wide) & framed 16 inches on center ... boring and basic - was already installed when I bought the house.  There is no overhang on the 3 sides that do not touch the house.

I think with the southern exposure - sun all afternoon to evening - that composite is the way to go.

The "picture framing" of the ends of the deck boards would be desired on the perimeter .... currently just exposed cut ends of the planks on the sides of the deck are ugly. 

Probably use hidden fasteners.

Leaning towards cable railing ... for best view off the deck.

I can do basic carpentry & use a power saw without injury  ...... might still use a pro for this job to save time .... may "strip the old deck" myself to save some $$.

So, whether your a - Pro contractor - or a - homeowner ..... what "pearls of wisdom" & experience can you share ?

Brands to look at ?

Brands to avoid ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

flip_x
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/17 17:16:16 (permalink)
Join woodworking projects and plans on Facebook.. They are awesome help!
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/17 17:38:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2021/07/18 13:13:17
I don't know if you have Menards in your area. They have a building planner app. that works pretty good. It can show you what you need, and cost. I'm in same boat on the deck. About half of my deck boards have to go. Have fun dude!! 

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/decking-deck-materials/c-5727.htm

https://designit.menards.com/Deck/#/landing

Nozler
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2043
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/17 18:52:49 (permalink)
The old decking screws can be a real pain. If your replacing the decking wood just split it and take a small grinder to the screws of they don't break off. 

heatware

Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8295
  • Ribbons : 45
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 03:54:18 (permalink)
I replaced our deck with Fiberon composite with hidden fasteners (these are well worth it) and metal banisters.  It has been almost 12 years and the deck has held up perfectly and when washed, looks like new.

The only thing I would emphasis, since your current deck is 17 years old, is to carefully inspect your support posts, joists, ledger board, and hangers, and if you have any doubt about any of them, replace everything.  It is not worth spending the money on new decking if the support structure is questionable.

I replaced and enlarged a deck years ago at a cabin we used to have.  It was on the side of a rocky hill and, after months of working on it every weekend, I swore I would never do it again. 

For the house, we contracted to have it done.
post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/07/18 07:45:23

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 13:10:23 (permalink)
Nozler
The old decking screws can be a real pain. If your replacing the decking wood just split it and take a small grinder to the screws of they don't break off. 

Vice-grips, 4 inch angle grinder, chainsaw .... whatever it takes ... I'm ready. 

Even with the "square" drive deck screws I already figured several - 20%? - will be a PITA

@ notfordman

Thanks .... Interesting site ... though not in my area ...

@ Flint

100% agree ... "do it right" the first time

The number of hours in the heat a humidity are not how I want to spend my time ... that is why I was thinking about using a pro .... I also have no way to transport 16 foot or longer deck planks.  Do they come in longer than 16 ft sizes ?

Thank you for sharing the brand you have used

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 13:25:39 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Nozler

Vice-grips, 4 inch angle grinder, chainsaw .... whatever it takes ... I'm ready. 

Even with the "square" drive deck screws I already figured several - 20%? - will be a PITA

@ notfordman

Thanks .... Interesting site ... though not in my area ...

@ Flint

100% agree ... "do it right" the first time

The number of hours in the heat a humidity are not how I want to spend my time ... that is why I was thinking about using a pro .... I also have no way to transport 16 foot or longer deck planks.  Do they come in longer than 16 ft sizes ?

Thank you for sharing the brand you have used

The transport is my issue as well. The boards I need are the 20 ft. , since my deck is 18'x18'. 20' is the max I see when looking. I was going to have them delivered, along with other items. I considered renting a U-Haul as well for transport. If you haven't noticed, lumber is one of the things that have risen considerably in the last few months. 

Oh, I would also caution against using nails for the deck. Screw them babies down. It looks like what they used on ours [nails], and a majority are sticking out. 
STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 14:11:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2021/07/18 14:49:26
Nozler

I took some good advice (about 35 years ago) from an old timer on this one and it has saved me tons of time over the years. Run the center bit of a 1" + hole saw right along side of the pia screw (so the screw is inside the saw) and mark your depth on the blade as to not go into the joist. Then you can pop the decking up and attack those stubborn bastards later with nothing in the way. One stroke with a chisel on the wood and a pair of vise grips on the screw afterwards.

post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2021/07/18 17:00:02

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 14:17:44 (permalink)
notfordman

The transport is my issue as well. The boards I need are the 20 ft. , since my deck is 18'x18'. 20' is the max I see when looking. I was going to have them delivered, along with other items. I considered renting a U-Haul as well for transport. If you haven't noticed, lumber is one of the things that have risen considerably in the last few months. 

Oh, I would also caution against using nails for the deck. Screw them babies down. It looks like what they used on ours [nails], and a majority are sticking out. 

I'm starting to lean toward a Double deck board perimeter "picture frame" on 3 sides & one or two in the center of the deck, breaking up the deck rectangle into a left & right design. This will allow full 16 ft pcs to be cut to size - however also require more framing (blocking) to prep for the board(s) going the same direction as the joists

However my deck is 31 ft wide, not sure if it makes sense to have a center board at 18 ft

Picture frame 3 sides - might help you use shorter boards ?

Your link with their tool ... was very easy to "build a virtual deck" ...

Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/18 15:42:38 (permalink)
"The number of hours in the heat and humidity are not how I want to spend my time ... that is why I was thinking about using a pro .... I also have no way to transport 16 foot or longer deck planks.  Do they come in longer than 16 ft sizes ?"

With the cabin, building the structure wasn't that bad.  It was digging the holes in shale with a pick and shovel for the sonotubes to pour concrete for the footers and making sure they were deep enough to pass inspection.

Fiberon site: https://www.fiberondecking.com/.  I think they go up to 20'. 

post edited by Flint 1760 - 2021/07/18 15:44:29

revollucian
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/20 09:30:46 (permalink)
Whats the pros and cons of using composite vs just treated wood? Is the composite going to last a lot more than the wood?

Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/21 04:56:28 (permalink)
revollucian
Whats the pros and cons of using composite vs just treated wood? Is the composite going to last a lot more than the wood?

Yes, composite will last decades longer than pressure treated wood.

Here is one of many links that will help you answer the pros and cons:  https://www.decks.com/how-to/articles/comparing-composite-vs-wood-decking.

szurvl
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/21 15:49:27 (permalink)
Composite is definitely the way to go, holds the color and cleans up easily with a pressure wash.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I have two contractor friends who talked me out of the hidden fasteners, said using the matching color screws is the way to go.  Just remember, you need two screws every 16" on every board when calculating # required.

Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/22 07:31:17 (permalink)
not cheap.  but I put in cumaru a few weeks ago.  advantage lumber from Florida has deck tiles.  24x24.   You can put them on the existing joists if they are 24 on center.  an option.   Not my picture but an idea of what they look like.  50 year life

post edited by Delirious - 2021/07/22 07:34:29

Attached Image(s)

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/22 18:30:13 (permalink)
Delirious
not cheap.  but I put in cumaru a few weeks ago.  advantage lumber from Florida has deck tiles.  24x24.   You can put them on the existing joists if they are 24 on center.  an option.   Not my picture but an idea of what they look like.  50 year life

Existing ~14x31 deck is already framed 16 on Center ...

I do not know much about exotic hardwood ... other than $$$$ & you Must wear a mask when cutting or sanding

apparently some of those natural woods a very bad for your lungs

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/22 18:38:18 (permalink)
szurvl
Composite is definitely the way to go, holds the color and cleans up easily with a pressure wash.

Don't shoot the messenger, but I have two contractor friends who talked me out of the hidden fasteners, said using the matching color screws is the way to go.  Just remember, you need two screws every 16" on every board when calculating # required.

Interesting - but - Why, is what I'm left wondering.  Can you ask them what is the advantage /disadvantages that makes the have that opinion.

Do they like the surface screws with the little plugs ?

If using exposed surface screws, they need to be installed in a straight line with a consistent spacing from each edge of each board - if you want it to look nice. 

I am surprised by the number of decks that I have seen that this was not done correctly ... decks obviously built for speed & not craftsmanship.   My current deck is one of those Makes one wonder what they were drinking at lunch.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/26 22:37:57 (permalink)
anyone else have some input to share ?

Flint 1760
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/27 03:43:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2021/07/27 09:39:18
The only thing I can add is that hidden fasteners have not been a problem on our house deck for 12 years and it was the contractor who recommended them.  We live in an area that goes from hot and humid to cold with snow.  Again, deck hidden fasteners have never been a problem including on the outside stairs to the deck.

Hidden fastener preference might be equivalent to "Do prefer sweetened or unsweetened ice tea?" 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/27 09:40:22 (permalink)
Flint 1760
The only thing I can add is that hidden fasteners have not been a problem on our house deck for 12 years and it was the contractor who recommended them.  We live in an area that goes from hot and humid to cold with snow.  Again, deck hidden fasteners have never been a problem including on the outside stairs to the deck.

Hidden fastener preference might be equivalent to "Do prefer sweetened or unsweetened ice tea?" 

Thanks, that is very helpful ... 12 yrs & no issues

No idea why the other member's "contractor friend" ... did not like them ... I asked they never replied

Still waiting on my refinance (lower rate) to close & cooler weather .. before I'll start shopping for a contractor or buying supplies for a DYI project

STR1D3R_2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1430
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/27 17:03:18 (permalink)
If it is a re-decking on the same joists then yes, absolutely use the hidden fasteners.
#1 You are much less likely to drive a screw into a broken screw that was left behind. It is a bit of a sinking feeling after you already put a hole in a new board.
#2 The gaps between are needed for drainage of rain and melting ice and snow. The spacers are much like the ones used for laying tile to help keep your lines uniform.
The only folks I know that said they did not like hidden fasteners answered no to these 2 Q's,
Did you run a string every third course?
and
Did you break your tape measure out every 2-3 courses.

Hidden fasteners are rubbery plastic. Lay them in the sun and they don't always slip in the groove the same way. you may have to persuade a few areas (most) with a rubber mallet or hammer and block of soft pine, I prefer a heavy rubber mallet.

Just keep measuring from the house out as you go, and to the deck edging with each course. You will find you need to cheat the gaps a bit as not all framing is perfectly squared. Do that so you don't end up with a 3" to nothing finishing edge because, well, that would look like 5#!+

Happy decking Cool
Tackle it and post shots as you go along with any Q's
Like, do I have all the tools or anything else
post edited by STR1D3R_2 - 2021/07/27 17:11:58

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4642
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/27 19:32:02 (permalink)
Minimize your waste.
Splitting your layout 31’/2= 16‘ boards 2 per row. 31/3= 10’ boards 1.5 per row. May be a price difference worth figuring. Most composite comes 16 or 20 foot. Any pro lumber yard will deliver for a reasonable price when you consider the alternative.
I picture framed my deck. I’ll try to dig up some pics from 17 years ago.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help me plan a composite redecking project 2021/07/30 19:46:29 (permalink)
thanks for the advise

that would be great yodap if you happen to find a picture or two.

Or course the design is never all that simple ..... the two sliding doors are not centered on the deck or even spaced evenly .... and a triple window on one end of deck - spaced differently than the farthest slider, from the corners of the house .... sigh ... I prefer symmetry.

Anyone use cable railing ?  pickets just block too much of the view into the yard

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile