Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :(

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/11 11:07:51 (permalink)
AHowes
Ok.. well from that pic it's safe to say he should remove the led panel from the backside and the black sticky tape used to hold it on. (Use heat to warm up the tape to safely remove without pulling stuff off with it).

Guessing that could be holding water. Or atleast stayed damp after since he could not get to it.

I'd remove it totally for now.. clean good under it.

Maybe try to put it back later after replacing the double sided tape.

Oh, good point! I actually thought that too and meant to say something, but got distracted by the controller datasheet lol, totally forgot to write that. Thanks for catching that too!

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
yaymz
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 736
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/11 11:37:29 (permalink)
Just throwing out another idea or option.. 

If it were me, I would disassemble the gpu as much as possible, wipe down with a lint free towel, throw it in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica gel packets (what you find in beef jerky, or new clothing)..  You can find these pretty easily online/amazon.

This is the method people use for drying out an iphone that has been dropped in water.  People used to use rice, but it is not as effective as the silica gel packs.  Not saying it will work, but maybe worth a shot.  Best of luck.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/how-to-dry-out-wet-phone-tablet/
^ Article describing what I am talking about

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
mobo: Asus z690 Apex
ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
case: Lian-li o11d xl
monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
oranjoose
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 17:31:34 (permalink)
Well folks, here's the update...

It's working!! So far... I disassembled the card and wiped it very thoroughly with 99.9% isopropyl. I'm thanking my lucky stars, though I know I'm not out of the woods yet. Obviously I'm keeping an eye on things like temp, abnormal fan speeds, etc, but probably won't feel like it's really safe until months down the road when I've pushed it.

Also, I did claim that water had gotten everywhere, which it did, but I do wonder if I was saved by a few things. Namely the backplate not having too many holes where water could penetrate and get on the actual PCB - I think what happened was (as a another user stated), surface tension was both my enemy and my friend: first the fact that it didn't break on the initial spill which allowed it to pool UNDER my desk before dripping onto my computer, but then I think where it landed on the back plate caused it to slide off the sides and mostly down the radiator fins into the LED panel (btw, I took that off and wiped/fanned it off as well, so I appreciate the suggestion there as I wouldn't have thought of that). I think the fact that my case's roof vents aren't directly over the motherboard also saved my other components. Even there were some drips in that area, it seems the bulk of the water dripped all way through to the fans on the bottom -- all of which are running smoothly atm.

All that to say, everything appears to working well without any immediately noticeable damage. I want to thank every single person here for your suggestions - you also saved me a great deal of pain and heartache!
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 17:42:14 (permalink)
oranjoose

It's working!! So far... I disassembled the card and wiped it very thoroughly with 99.9% isopropyl. I'm thanking my lucky stars, though I know I'm not out of the woods yet. Obviously I'm keeping an eye on things like temp, abnormal fan speeds, etc, but probably won't feel like it's really safe until months down the road when I've pushed it.

Also, I did claim that water had gotten everywhere, which it did, but I do wonder if I was saved by a few things. Namely the backplate not having too many holes where water could penetrate and get on the actual PCB - I think what happened was (as a another user stated), surface tension was both my enemy and my friend: first the fact that it didn't break on the initial spill which allowed it to pool UNDER my desk before dripping onto my computer, but then I think where it landed on the back plate caused it to slide off the sides and mostly down the radiator fins into the LED panel (btw, I took that off and wiped/fanned it off as well, so I appreciate the suggestion there as I wouldn't have thought of that). I think the fact that my case's roof vents aren't directly over the motherboard also saved my other components. Even there were some drips in that area, it seems the bulk of the water dripped all way through to the fans on the bottom -- all of which are running smoothly atm.

All that to say, everything appears to working well without any immediately noticeable damage. I want to thank every single person here for your suggestions - you also saved me a great deal of pain and heartache!

HELL YES!!! Wow.. ya lucked out big time!

Glad all is well and I'm sure no drink is gona be around that desk anytime soon haha

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
oranjoose
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 17:48:46 (permalink)
AHowes
oranjoose

HELL YES!!! Wow.. ya lucked out big time!

Glad all is well and I'm sure no drink is gona be around that desk anytime soon haha

No more drinks are allowed in this ROOM! But seriously, I never have drinks on or above my tower, just a super freak accident that I'll take care to never let happen again. 
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11094
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 17:56:24 (permalink)
BooYah 👍🏻

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 19:20:08 (permalink)
oranjoose

After a water spill you did the right thing...tear apart and dry it out...good news!

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/16 21:58:36 (permalink)
One thing I was thinking is it might be worth getting some silica packs like you find in packets of food and such to put inside the case. Those are pretty good at pulling any moisture into them and I would use it for like a week after that I would assume that it's got all the liquid it would ever get. Just make sure to get one large enough that a fan wouldn't blow it around. Even a 2g packet could absorb the whole water bottle of water so something like a 10g or 50g would remove any moisture in that case.

post edited by Hoggle - 2022/05/16 22:07:32

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/17 06:02:40 (permalink)
oranjoose

NOICE! Happy for you. that is a scary event for sure, but I was hopeful you'd be alright. Also, I like Hoggle's idea about the silica packet.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
irakandjii
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 05:58:20 (permalink)
firerain
Spray some wd40 like all over the pcb, then wipe it down. Then dry it out real good. Should be good if it did not fry at the spill.

This is absurd and dangerous!  WD 40 is flammable, it leaves a film that will attract dirt to short later, it penetrates the into really fine spaces with unknown effect. 
it serve NO PURPOSE in ELECTRONICS!
firerain
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 06:43:14 (permalink)
irakandjii
firerain
Spray some wd40 like all over the pcb, then wipe it down. Then dry it out real good. Should be good if it did not fry at the spill.

This is absurd and dangerous!  WD 40 is flammable, it leaves a film that will attract dirt to short later, it penetrates the into really fine spaces with unknown effect. 

What kills most electronics is corrosion or a short. You can actually wash your parts in tap water and they will work no problem. The main thing you need to do is dry it out and prevent corrosion/rust. Something like wd40 does that. 

About the flamable part. If your pc has flames you are doing something wrong. Alcohol is flammable as well.

Here is an example: youtube.com/watch?v=A0_qPz8TT9c

Pc0 Legion pre built / 3090Fe / 10900k
Pc1 8700k /2x EVGA 3080 TI / EVGA Z375 micro
Pc2 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2678 v3 / 3080 / EVGA 3060, EVGA 1660 ti
Pc3 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2620 v3 / EVGA 3080, 1650
Pc4 HP pre built AMD R5 3500 / 2060 ko
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 06:50:16 (permalink)
firerain
irakandjii
firerain

What kills most electronics is corrosion or a short. You can actually wash your parts in tap water and they will work no problem. The main thing you need to do is dry it out and prevent corrosion/rust. Something like wd40 does that. 

About the flamable part. If your pc has flames you are doing something wrong. Alcohol is flammable as well.

Here is an example: youtube.com/watch?v=A0_qPz8TT9c

Wait...

Your PC DOESN'T have flames?

firerain
iCX Member
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 07:02:11 (permalink)
You too can do this with one simple trick.
The trick is to stay away from gigabyte power supplies.

irakandjii
  • Total Posts : 65
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 07:09:28 (permalink)
Ya and people sniff WD40 too, put it in toilets, use it as oil .. go go WD40 ... miracle fluid
BTW I looked at the video .... you have got to be kidding me ... He did in once for PR .. He was testing / using sonic cleaner which was the theme of the video .. a spray that is not WD40 .. 
If you want to use WD40 go ahead, just don't tell others to use s rust remover / penetrating oil on electronics..  There are products designed for that. 
lol .. Good lord ya gotta love the internet

firerain
iCX Member
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 07:23:05 (permalink)
irakandjii
Ya and people sniff WD40 too, put it in toilets, use it as oil .. go go WD40 ... miracle fluid
BTW I looked at the video .... you have got to be kidding me ... He did in once for PR .. He was testing / using sonic cleaner which was the theme of the video .. a spray that is not WD40 .. 
If you want to use WD40 go ahead, just don't tell others to use s rust remover / penetrating oil on electronics..  There are products designed for that. 
lol .. Good lord ya gotta love the internet

No, not pr he has done that for years now. He actually bring back a lot of tech back to life.
Yes he uses a different spray but wd40 will do the trick as well. The most important part is that you need to dry out the part 100%. Spray like wd40 will help you get water out of tight places.

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 08:18:28 (permalink)
Wd40 is just an oil based solvent. Pc will never hit a flashpoint high enough to ignite wd40 residue. Not my first choice but extremely unlikely to harm anything. It will all evaporate fairly quickly.

Just use 90% rubbing alcohol and a clean rag or a paper towel.
post edited by redteamgo - 2022/05/18 08:20:11

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 12:57:40 (permalink)
water + gpu is fine
water + gpu + power is NOT FINE

sounds like you did all the right stuff. i'd add some compressed air/hair dryer/a short bake in the oven can all be useful if you find yourself in this situation again. but the best way is to ask for help, good on you for recognizing you were in over your head and asking for help.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 13:06:51 (permalink)
redteamgo
Wd40 is just an oil based solvent. Pc will never hit a flashpoint high enough to ignite wd40 residue. Not my first choice but extremely unlikely to harm anything. It will all evaporate fairly quickly.

Well, the aromatics will... leaving a oily residue that is super fantastic at collecting dust.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/18 13:34:52 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
redteamgo

Well, the aromatics will... leaving a oily residue that is super fantastic at collecting dust.
so I didn’t recommend wd40 , just said the residue won’t spontaneously ignite from ambient case temps 😎

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
firerain
iCX Member
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/19 05:17:09 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
redteamgo

I still don't know how you would get residue after drying everything 100% and wiping it down. I have a feeling a lot of people are just clueless. 

EvgaUser2711201
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/20 23:00:14 (permalink)
make sure to NOT get any iso on acrylic parts. It will cause it to crack and fail at some point 

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/20 23:28:50 (permalink)
firerain
HeavyHemi
redteamgo

I still don't know how you would get residue after drying everything 100% and wiping it down. I have a feeling a lot of people are just clueless. 

WD40 will leave a residue unless you remove it with IPA. The post I replied to was simply using WD40 and letting it 'dry'. Yes, I have that same feeling regarding how well some folks comprehend posts.

redteamgo
HeavyHemi
redteamgo

so I didn’t recommend wd40 , just said the residue won’t spontaneously ignite from ambient case temps 😎

I know, I mean some folks just take things too seriously. The main thing is the OP learned a cheap lesson.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

McRap
  • Total Posts : 2
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Help! I spilled water on my 3080 Ti GPU :( 2022/05/20 23:54:09 (permalink)
Don't turn it on for a few daysand pray
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile