EVGA

Helpful ReplyHelp - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU?

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/01 14:13:37 (permalink)

pmb116
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/02 17:57:06 (permalink)
Sushihunter
Update: April 30, 2017

My local computer store held a Tech Event at the local mall this weekend. I went on Saturday to check things out.
I got to talk with various company reps from Gigabyte, MSI, Cooler Master, Corsair, and EVGA.

Picked up a ton of swag!

I bought a $50 Gift Card from NCIX that I will put toward my MB and RAM.

I got to try some VR Virtual Reality for the first time. Played Fruit Ninja. Really impressed with the quality of the environment. Lots of fun!

Why can't they have an event like that near me!
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/02 21:54:21 (permalink)
Yes, it was lots of fun!

One young kid won a dual pack of PSU's - a 750 Watt and a 900 Watt unit packaged in one box.

I managed to pick up an EVGA T-shirt, but the biggest they had was XL - I need a XXXL or a really long XXL or I can't tuck them in.
I also got a nice NVidia Carry bag and another one from Cooler Master.

They gave away all sorts of T-shirts and computer hardware. One of the big prizes at the close of Saturday was a high-end video card. 1080, I think.
Also lots of the usual small stuff like key chains, lanyards, buttons, pens, notebooks, tote-bags etc.

I was hoping to get more info on the products I'm looking to buy in the near future, but there was so much noise it was hard to hear and understand the people I was talking to.
As a result, it became more of a treasure hunt for swag and advertising material.

One thing they need to fix for next year is the sign-in desk - they only had one and it had a permanent line-up most of the day. You had to go in and use the NCIX phone App to scan a Q-Code, then scan several more to try and win prizes and enter the main draw prize contest that picked tickets every hour. I missed out on all but the last draw because I wasn't going to stand for over an hour in the line-up.

One thing they might want to consider for next year is a quiet place where you can talk with the company reps over a cup of coffee or something. At the very least they should hang some sound-deadening. It was really hard to hear the speakers on the stage over the din of all the people and all the computer games running.

Sushihunter
Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P Motherboard - BIOS F8
Intel G4560 Pentium Kaby Lake CPU - 3.5GHz
G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR DDR4 RAM - 16GB's
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD - 500GB
EVGA Nvidia GT 620 - 2 GBs RAM Video Card * To be installed soon
EVGA SuperNova750 Watt G2 PSU * New 2016 * To be installed soon
LG Bluray/DVD Burner BH14NS40 + LG DVD Burner GSA-H62L
MediaSonic NAS Box - USB 3.0 Various HD's - 250GB to 2TB
Dell 2407WFPHC Monitor + Samsung SyncMaster 750s Monitor
MS Windows 10-64 Home - Full Retail - USB

---------------------------
2018 New Years Resolution: I swear I'll put the side on my computer this year and call it "finished". No, really... this year!

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 17:28:01 (permalink)
Update: May 4, 2017

Well, crap!

Found my computer in an endless loop of BSoD'ing and rebooting.
I was able to boot into Safe Mode.
I ran the latest version of Malwarebytes and removed three minor looking threats.
On booting, I'm getting a message that indicates a c9 error.

I snapped a photo of the blue screen - I'll try to upload it later.
It indicates avgMonFlt.sys  -  I think that is an "L" though it looks more like a "7" on the screen...
-----------------------------------------
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode: c9
  BCP1: 00000224
  BCP2: A4329150
  BCP3: A128C4C0
  BCP4: C000000D
  OS Version: 6_1_7601
  Service Pack: 1_0
  Product: 256_1
---------------------------------------------

Just ran WhoCrashed:

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 5.53

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue (or black) screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program might help you find the root cause of the problem and a solution.
Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue (or black) screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue or black screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.
This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.
To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support
Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.
Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network. Please note that this version of WhoCrashed is not licensed for use by professional support engineers. Click here for more information on the professional edition. Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

Computer name: JIM-PC Windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 Windows dir: C:\Windows Hardware: P5K Premium, , ASUSTeK Computer INC. CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6 4 logical processors, active mask: 15 RAM: 3757170688 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. On Fri 05/05/2017 12:01:48 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050417-31715-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDFC9C) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x224, 0xFFFFFFFFA4329150, 0xFFFFFFFFA128C4C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D) Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Fri 05/05/2017 12:01:48 AM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1E) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x224, 0xFFFFFFFFA4329150, 0xFFFFFFFFA128C4C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D) Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe . Google query: ntkrpamp.exe DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION
On Thu 04/05/2017 11:58:10 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050417-35911-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDFC9C) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x224, 0xFFFFFFFFA3D02150, 0xFFFFFFFFB3CD0068, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D) Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Thu 04/05/2017 10:59:48 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050417-32105-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDFC9C) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x224, 0xFFFFFFFFA4104150, 0xFFFFFFFF9A8F4F68, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D) Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Thu 04/05/2017 10:55:31 PM GMT your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050417-36176-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDFC9C) Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x224, 0xFFFFFFFFA490F150, 0xFFFFFFFF8C05EF68, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D) Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

42 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 5 are included in this report. 4 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:
lmoufilt.sys (Logitech Mouse Filter Driver., Logitech, Inc.) dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation) nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.66 , NVIDIA Corporation) ntkrpamp.exe
If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.
Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

----------------------------------------------------

Sushihunter

2018 New Years Resolution: I swear I'll put the side on my computer this year and call it "finished". No, really... this year!

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 17:55:14 (permalink)
c9 = driver verifier bsod. 

Aswmonflt.sys = avast antivirus

Disable driver verifier in safe mode & uninstall avast antivirus. Should be good then.

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 18:34:05 (permalink)
Sajin

Disable driver verifier in safe mode & uninstall avast antivirus. Should be good then.

Thanks Sajin!

1- Using AVG Anti-virus, not Avast.
2- Not Aswmonflt.sys, but avgMonFlt.sys - even Google pointed me toward the Aswmonflt.sys file.

Should I remove AVG?

*** Also, can't connect to phone/camera, so I can't upload photos until I can boot in normal mode...

post edited by Sushihunter - 2017/05/04 18:45:37

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 18:52:35 (permalink)
Sushihunter
Sajin

Thanks Sajin!

1- Using AVG Anti-virus, not Avast.
2- Not Aswmonflt.sys, but avgMonFlt.sys - even Google pointed me toward the Aswmonflt.sys file.

Should I remove AVG?

*** Also, can't connect to phone/camera, so I can't upload photos until I can boot in normal mode...

Yeah, remove avg.
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 19:13:48 (permalink)

OK, that seemed to have worked!

Using CCleaner, I was able to uninstall AVG Protection, but not AVG itself.
So AVG is still there, and providing protection, but I'm not able to use it to scan for viruses.

Disabled verifier.exe - probably the main culprit.

Thanks Sajin for talking me through this!

Google was not leading me to the info I needed to fix this.

It will be interesting to see if I continue to get crashes or freezes during use.

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/04 19:26:45 (permalink)
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/06 04:07:04 (permalink)

Update: May 6, 2017

Well, this is an interesting development...

Since I got rid of the verifier.exe file and purged some of the AVG anti-virus program, my computer has been running at top speed. Drudge.com opens quickly. I am no longer waiting five to ten seconds for menus and files to open. And also, I didn't have any crashes or freezes for about 12 hours... until I decided to update my video drivers...

About half way though, and right after I had uninstalled the old NVIDIA drivers, the computer locked up and forced a reboot. After a bit of futzing around, and a couple of failures, I was able to load the new drivers.

Computer is still running nice and fast, but I am back to getting video driver crashes. I can't help but wonder if this is common with NVIDIA video cards & drivers, or just my computer. Since I've owned this card, (well over a year now), I've done clean installs of all the new drivers. Not once has this stopped my computer from experiencing a dozen or more video driver crashes per day.

So the question is: Does this have something to do with my GT 620 video card, or the NVIDIA drivers? Or is it hardware related on my motherboard, somewhere in the video circuits of the board?

As I've detailed in this thread, ages ago, I've done fresh system installs that have not corrected my many crash issues.

I have swapped out and/or replaced everything except the MB in this computer. PSU, CPU, RAM, Video Card, Hard drives, system software, but nothing has helped. By process of elimination, it has to be something in the motherboard... right?

I'm guessing that it will be 2 to 3 months before I have my new Z270 MB and DDR4 RAM to get up and running. In the mean time I will just have to put up with this damn thing and hope it does not have a total meltdown.

post edited by Sushihunter - 2017/05/06 22:16:02

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/05/08 14:43:40 (permalink)
Sushihunter
Since I got rid of the verifier.exe file and purged some of the AVG anti-virus program, my computer has been running at top speed.

I choose to run without any antivirus software myself because of this very reason. Antivirus software slows down your system. 

Sushihunter
Computer is still running nice and fast, but I am back to getting video driver crashes. I can't help but wonder if this is common with NVIDIA video cards & drivers, or just my computer.

It probably has something to do with your motherboard since that is the only thing you haven't replaced yet.
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/06/21 11:52:35 (permalink)

Update: June 21, 2017

Not a whole lot to report today - just wanted to touch base.

I have enough saved to pick up 16 GBs or DDR4 RAM or 3000 or maybe 3200 speed - kind of depends on final price.
I'd like to keep it under $200 Can$, but might have to go over a bit. Wish I could have bought this 6 months ago...

Still trying to figure out which Motherboard to get...

Would like to get a Z270 board, but cost will run from about $260 (plus 12% Tax) to $OMFG!

Now there is an interesting wrinkle here - Ryzen.

The AX370 boards are priced pretty much the same as the Z270 boards, give or take a couple of dollars.

I've avoided looking at the Ryzen boards because the early release boards had "issues" - The last thing I need is to trade old issues for new issues.
However, more recent reports are showing that the Ryzen issues are getting sorted out. As to be expected with a new product.

So now, what to do?

Thinking of getting the DDR4 RAM this month as the prices seem to be going up, and it would work in either an Intel or AMD board. Then save up for a cheap Intel Kaby Lake compatible board to get up and running with something stable.

Once that is done, continue saving for a Ryzen Motherboard and CPU - then turn the Intel board and Pentium G4560 CPU into a media server for my TV.

Z270 Motherboards

I've been looking at some MSI boards - They look quite nice, but most of the ones I can afford do not have a U.2 slot until you get into the more expensive units.
As such, I keep coming back to the Gigabyte Aorus boards like the Gaming 5 and the Gaming 7 ($260 and $310).

Thoughts, anyone?

Sushihunter

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/06/22 03:06:04 (permalink)
Update: June 22, 2017

Interesting day...

Had to go to Motor Vehicles yesterday to get a new Photo ID Card. As they are in the same mall as NCIX Computers, I figured I should stop in there and see if they could help point me in a direction for getting a new Motherboard and RAM.

I printed out two pages from my Computer Shopping Excel Spreadsheet, and took that with me: Motherboards, and DDR4 RAM.

I asked him a bunch of questions, including "What is your preference, MSI or Gigabyte?"
"I don't have a preference."

"OK. Do you have this Motherboard in stock?"
"No."

"This one?"
"No."

"How about this one?"
"Not in stock."

I was beginning to think I was in the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch...

O: I'll have a look, sir..    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno. 
C: It's not much of a computer shop, is it? 
O: Finest in the district sir! 
C: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please. 
O: Well, it's so clean, sir! 
C: It's certainly uncontaminated by computers.

Repeated the questioning for RAM with pretty much the same results.

But, I did end up picking up a stack of 20 Blu-ray blank disks, so now I can do some much needed archiving...

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/06/22 12:24:13 (permalink)
Sushihunter

Update: June 21, 2017

Not a whole lot to report today - just wanted to touch base.

I have enough saved to pick up 16 GBs or DDR4 RAM or 3000 or maybe 3200 speed - kind of depends on final price.
I'd like to keep it under $200 Can$, but might have to go over a bit. Wish I could have bought this 6 months ago...

Still trying to figure out which Motherboard to get...

Would like to get a Z270 board, but cost will run from about $260 (plus 12% Tax) to $OMFG!

Now there is an interesting wrinkle here - Ryzen.

The AX370 boards are priced pretty much the same as the Z270 boards, give or take a couple of dollars.

I've avoided looking at the Ryzen boards because the early release boards had "issues" - The last thing I need is to trade old issues for new issues.
However, more recent reports are showing that the Ryzen issues are getting sorted out. As to be expected with a new product.

So now, what to do?

Thinking of getting the DDR4 RAM this month as the prices seem to be going up, and it would work in either an Intel or AMD board. Then save up for a cheap Intel Kaby Lake compatible board to get up and running with something stable.

Once that is done, continue saving for a Ryzen Motherboard and CPU - then turn the Intel board and Pentium G4560 CPU into a media server for my TV.

Z270 Motherboards

I've been looking at some MSI boards - They look quite nice, but most of the ones I can afford do not have a U.2 slot until you get into the more expensive units.
As such, I keep coming back to the Gigabyte Aorus boards like the Gaming 5 and the Gaming 7 ($260 and $310).

Thoughts, anyone?

Thanks for the update. Do you really need 3200MHz ram? You could save some crash by going with 2400MHz.
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/06/22 16:03:04 (permalink)
Sajin:  "Thanks for the update. Do you really need 3200MHz ram? You could save some crash by going with 2400MHz."

To be honest - not sure...

Yes, 2400 MHz is cheaper, but not by much. 3000 runs about $10 - $20 more per kit for 16GBs (2 X 8GBs).

Just checking now, I see some 2400 G.Skill for $189.99 while the same in 3000 is also $189.99 - Only problem is that they are both on back order. Even looking at 32GBs of the same RAM is on back order.

Wow - seeing some Corsair 3200 that has jumped from $185 to $275.60 - again, out of stock and back ordered.

The salesman I talked to at NCIX yesterday told me that Apple and Samsung have between them bought and control about 80% of the RAM manufacturing market and use them for their Smart Phones.
Kind of explains the situation.

Further checking shows that Newegg has some G.Skill Model F4-3000C15D-16GVRB in stock for $169.99 + taxes + $5.99 shipping - but they have it in stock!
Only problem is I have $65 in NCIX Gift Cards... and a $120 approximately in BitCoin...

Sushihunter

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/06/24 09:04:32 (permalink)
Seems like the more research I do, the more confused I get...

My video went out yesterday, and unlike before, it never came back after a minute or so. I had to do a reset and reboot the computer. This happened a few times.
I noticed I had a fair bit of dust build-up in the CPU fan as well as generally all through the computer case.
I dragged out the air compressor and blew it all out. That seemed to fix it... I hope.

This prompted me to start looking at some cheaper Motherboards.

Here are two Gigabyte H270 boards and two Gigabyte Z270 boards that I am considering:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KfRFf7/gigabyte-ga-h270-hd3-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-h270-hd3

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/QpWrxr/gigabyte-ga-h270-hd3p-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-h270-hd3p

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/bB7CmG/gigabyte-ga-z270-hd3-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270-hd3

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6kRFf7/gigabyte-ga-z270-hd3p-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270-hd3p

* Still trying to find the difference between the HD3 and the HD3P boards.

I'm thinking of going with one of the cheaper H270 boards. For the simple reason that if I go to the more expensive Z270 boards, then I'm so close in price to an Aorus Z270 Gaming 5, I might as well spend a bit more and go for that.

Then pick up some G.Skill DDR4 3000 or 3200 RAM to complete a working computer.

Sushihunter

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/07/03 20:00:09 (permalink)
Update: July 3, 2017

Motherboard Choice

Well, I finally made a choice on my motherboard - http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65417

After talking with a salesman at my local Memory Express via phone today. I placed a 1 week hold on a Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3 Motherboard.
I went with Memory Express because they are local, and they have price match + 10% of the difference policy.
So, without any hesitation, he matched the NewEgg price of $149.99

Reasons

I was going to get the Gigabyte GA-H270-HD3, as I had no intention of over-clocking this board. Then I noticed the Memory specs:

GA-H270-HD3: DDR4-2133 / 2400
GA-Z270-HD3: DDR4-2133 / 2400 / 2666 / 2800 / 3000 / 3200 / 3300 / 3333 / 3400 / 3466 / 3600 / 3666 / 3733 / 3800 / 3866

As I'm looking at some G.SKILL DDR4-3200 RAM, I figured an extra $20 would be worth it. Though I didn't think an extra $20 to add the USB-C port as I don't have anything to plug into it, and I'm not planning to buy anything in the near future. I will have another look at that when I upgrade some time next year to either a high-end LGA1151 board, or a Ryzen board.

As many of you already know, when I started this search for a new computer, I was planning on getting a high-end board - probably the Gigabyte Aorus Z270-Gaming-5. However, during this search the Ryzen CPU was released. At first, they had their issues as most new product releases do, so I opted out of going that route. However, it has taken me longer to save up for this than I anticipated. The Ryzen platform seems to be killing any bug issues they have been having, so I think it is well worth a second look.
Only problem is that I have already bought the Pentium G4560 CPU.

This has sort of changed my thinking a bit. Rather than go high-end, I started looking at "budget" boards. The plan changing to "Get up and running ASAP" then upgrade at my leisure to maybe a Ryzen platform next year. I could either sell the Intel system to fund the Ryzen upgrade, or turn it into a Media server for my TV system.

Now, if I could just get BitCoin to go up to where I bought it before I cash it out to pay for this motherboard...

Thanks, everyone!

Happy 4th of July!

post edited by Sushihunter - 2017/07/03 20:12:28

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/07/03 20:03:15 (permalink)

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/08/26 18:30:20 (permalink)
Update:  August 26, 2017

Not a whole lot happening on the computer front at the moment...

A few months ago, I put some money int Bitcoin to save up for my computer upgrade. When I last posted, I was planning to pick up a Motherboard at Memory Express... didn't happen.

Long story, short - Bitcoin went in the toilet and I was down about $50. Since that time, Bitcoin has rebounded  :-)  My tiny "investment" of $214.33 is now worth about $309.00 depending on the moment.

Sooooo... my plans changed a bit. I figure that I will continue to hold my Bitcoin, and maybe add a bit to it, until such time I have enough to purchase both the MB and the DDR4 RAM.

This also gives me time to continue doing research on my hardware choices.

I'm seeing cheaper prices at online dealers other than NCIX and NewEgg. Trying to decide if I should buy from one of them, or stick with the big guys. One advantage of NCIX is that they have a store close to me that I can walk into if there are any issues. I can also pick up product that I order from them at the store and save all shipping costs.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

post edited by Sushihunter - 2017/08/27 18:38:19

Sushihunter

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/21 20:46:08 (permalink)
Update: September 21, 2017

Good news!

Just pulled the trigger on my new Motherboard.

Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P - http://ca.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3P-rev-10#kf

It seems that in the time I've been saving up money and doing research, Gigabyte decided to discontinue this MB. The places I had planned to buy it at ran out of stock, but I managed to find stock at a reasonable price at Amazon.ca - as per my luck, they upped the price by $2 just hours before I was able to make the purchase. So price jumped from $168 to $170.27 Can$

As a bonus, I still have my Bitcoin money, and my NCIX Gift Cards.  Only problem is that NCIX does not have the DDR4 RAM that I want.  I am seeing some issues with NCIX that concern me - they are "restructuring" the company, and as a result have closed all of their Ontario retail stores. Locally, where they started business, they seem to be low on stock or back-ordered on just about everything. I was really hoping to use the Gift Cards to buy either the MB or the RAM. Now, I just want to use them on something so I don't get stuck with them should the company go down the tubes.

I opted for the Amazon free shipping, and should have the MB by the end of the month.   

Now, the question comes down to which RAM to get. Here's what I'm looking at:

G.Skill - Prices from NewEgg.ca
F4-3200C15D-16GVR  - $210
F4-3200C14D-16GVR  - $240
F4-3200C16D-16GVR  - $198
F4-3200C16D-16GVRB - $198

Question: Are the faster timings worth an extra $40 over the slower/cheaper model of 3200 speed RAM?

Hope to have some photos of the new build to post here soon.

* Maybe I'll finally be able to put the covers on my case after 18 years... 

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/21 20:52:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sushihunter 2017/09/21 21:06:17
Congrats on the new board. Definitely get the ram with the faster timings. Lower timings indicate the IC's are higher quality. 
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/21 21:10:11 (permalink)
Thanks Sajin!

You and the other guys here have been a great help in being a sounding board for me - I greatly appreciate your help and guidance.  

G.Skill:  https://www.gskill.com/en/compare

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/21 21:26:16 (permalink)
No problem. Happy to help. 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/22 07:21:57 (permalink)
Sajin great effort to help an EVGA member

8 pages and almost 15 month later .... some kind of record -----> BR awarded for ALL the Help you gave

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/22 10:50:09 (permalink)
Cool GTX

8 pages and almost 15 month later .... some kind of record -----> BR awarded for ALL the Help you gave

Thanks.
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/22 18:05:07 (permalink)
Cool GTX

I'm pretty sure that having some ready cash would have sped things up considerably 

Big thanks to everyone who who chimed in to help!

Tracking shows that my MB is in Kent, WA right now, and I should have it on Thursday Sept. 28th.

Sushihunter

Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/25 01:28:13 (permalink)
Update: September 25, 2017 - 12:58 AM

Well, some more good news - My MB has made it from Amazon in Seattle, WA to Richmond, and should be delivered sometime later today. So I don't have to wait until Thursday.
Unless Canada Post is too lazy to knock on my door and takes it back to the office for pick up. 

So now I have a few more things to think about...

Which version of Windows 10 should I get? I know that I need to finally go 64 bit, but should I stick with the Home version or go Pro?
I also see that there is also an Enterprise version.

Another question: Should I build this into the extra Cooler Master case I have, or should I tear out my Asus P5K MB and build into my Full-Tower case? This would mean that I would be out of commission until I get the new 'puter up and running. Which could be interesting if I'm forced to flash the BIOS to get it working with my Kaby Lake CPU...  I'd really like to avoid having to take it into a shop to get that done - also, I'd have to locate a Skylake CPU to do the flashing with...

The more I think about it, the smarter it seems to build into the Cooler Master case, prove it works, then transfer the MB, CPU, RAM and HD into the Full-Tower case.

One of my neighbors was moved out last week. He has Alzheimers and has gotten to the point where he needs more care. His family came in to clear out his apartment. They only took a few personal items and gave away most everything else. I got a nice tall-boy dresser that I really needed. Real wood, and not made in Sweden! I also got his old computer. Built in 2010 by Memory Express. I haven't had time to plug it in yet, but I opened the case and had a quick peek inside - nice 500GB HD, Intel MB, and I assume some type of LGA775 CPU. It's not a tower case, it is a very compact desktop case, so hard to see what is printed on the MB. I'll have to take another look to see if I can add another HD or two. If I can, I'm thinking Media Server for the TV. Worst case scenario: 500GBs of movie storage...

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/25 02:51:41 (permalink)
I run windows 10 home myself.
Sushihunter
Superclocked Member
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/25 11:07:47 (permalink)
Update: September 25, 2017 - 10:30 AM

Look what's arrived in the mail today   

post edited by Sushihunter - 2017/09/25 11:10:19

Sushihunter

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help - Diagnosing Frequent Crashes BSoD - Video Card or PSU? 2017/09/25 11:12:41 (permalink)

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile