Help & Advice from the Forum Gods

Author
Topless_Stang
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 257
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/10/20 11:02:19 (permalink)
I finally got 'A' GPU in.  I wanted a HC 3080, but I could only get my hands on a Hybrid.  I have purchased an EK block & back plate.  I purchased this month from Spartan Cooling here in the US and it is a V2 Block.  I had no idea what the difference was until i came here and started searching...oh the horror stories I read .  I have been building PCs for almost 30 years, but this will be my FIRST water build.  I have always gotten hybrids & rocked an AIO in the past, but I am looking forward to getting my feet wet doing my first custom loop.  Now that I have read some posts and gleaned some tips I know it will be best to do a few things like:
1. Heat up the card prior to removing to help the putty & pads be easier to remove - either heat gun or in a PC
2. Gingerly remove screws (always do)

I also read that replacing the pads is not something everyone agrees on.  I know EK includes some, but some folks end up getting other brands with better heat dissipation.  What do you guys recommend for a first timer?  I need info on pad size/thickness if recommending any 3rd party stuff.  Also, taking apart the hybrid...I can't find instructions anywhere, is it much different than the standard FTW3?  Also, I see that there is thermal putty used on these, if I am not lucky enough to have it stay on the factory cooler how do I get it off - same as thermal grease (alcohol)?  Was planning to install the block on my MB & GPU today, but holding off until I get a few more answers.  Thanks in advance!
post edited by Topless_Stang - 2021/10/27 11:16:36

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Help & Advice from the Forum Gods 2021/10/20 11:12:05 (permalink)
    Moving Overclocking Lab

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware & Software] » Overclocking Lab

I'm Just a Forums member who has built a "few" custom loops & made a few benchmark notable scores - Using EK stock pads

Test the Card for a few days with the stock cooler & run some basic benchmarks to see how well it clocks as a starting point

Nibbler
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3055531
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3060338 ---> Nibbler --> Time Spy Hall of Fame #37   (now slipped to #40)

Consider the Optional extended warranty - if your likely to keep it more than 3 years  EVGA Extended Warranty

EK addresses the possibility of contact with the circuit .. with the Rev 2 water block

A proper fitting Quality screwdriver is a must .... the rounding-out of screw heads is a tool issue

Read the directions, read some reviews & Take lots of pictures along the way ..... if you ever need an RMA ... you must return to stock condition

Plastic  bags or some sort of plastic container to store All OEM parts & screws removed

Take your time, work in a clean & well light area

Just don't expect the nickle plating to hold up if you run distilled water & biocide ... plan to buy some quality coolant ... like EK's

I've had a bad experience with PrimoChill Liquid Utopia & have switched to EK premixed fluid

You can Do it

Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

The EK pads are fine - I use them all the time.

Better pads ... only if your trying for a benchmark record .... usually less that 2C difference

--->>>  A colder room or more radiator & better fans would help much more than expensive thermal pads

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Topless_Stang
    iCX Member
    Re: Help & Advice from the Forum Gods 2021/10/20 17:59:54 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Moving Overclocking Lab

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware & Software] » Overclocking Lab

I'm Just a Forums member who has built a "few" custom loops & made a few benchmark notable scores - Using EK stock pads

Test the Card for a few days with the stock cooler & run some basic benchmarks to see how well it clocks as a starting point

Nibbler
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3055531
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3060338 ---> Nibbler --> Time Spy Hall of Fame #37   (now slipped to #40)

Consider the Optional extended warranty - if your likely to keep it more than 3 years  EVGA Extended Warranty

EK addresses the possibility of contact with the circuit .. with the Rev 2 water block

A proper fitting Quality screwdriver is a must .... the rounding-out of screw heads is a tool issue

Read the directions, read some reviews & Take lots of pictures along the way ..... if you ever need an RMA ... you must return to stock condition

Plastic  bags or some sort of plastic container to store All OEM parts & screws removed

Take your time, work in a clean & well light area

Just don't expect the nickle plating to hold up if you run distilled water & biocide ... plan to buy some quality coolant ... like EK's

I've had a bad experience with PrimoChill Liquid Utopia & have switched to EK premixed fluid

You can Do it

Ready to try water cooling. Where to start? Library of links-basics to expert

The EK pads are fine - I use them all the time.

Better pads ... only if your trying for a benchmark record .... usually less that 2C difference

--->>>  A colder room or more radiator & better fans would help much more than expensive thermal pads

Thanks for all of the advice.  Last round I got a 2080 TI FTW 3 and swapped in the hybrid kit and it wasn't too bad.  I was thinking this would be a similar experience until i read all of the horror stories lol, but like you said EK seems to have fixed it.  I had it in for a few days playing around with it on my VR rig & then took it out to put my 2080 ti back in.  I planned to wait and just experience it with my new build, but now that you mention it I'll probably put it back in since my VR rig will be what I use to 'heat' up the card to make removal of the stock cooler easier.  I love EVGA and their awesome warranty.  I haven't had to use it yet on my 2080ti but I got the 10yr on that and already got the 10yr on this 3080 as well.  I will stick with the stock pads for the GPU & my monoblock as well.   It's all going into a 011 XL Dynamic so I'll have plenty of room to work.  I thought ZI was done buying stuff, but now I'm waiting for an Aquacomputer High Flow Next.  Part of me wants to build NOW, but then I know I won't feel like draining and re-doing the loop when the filter finally comes in.

I had originally picked up some of the EK fluid but kept hearing it's better to use regular water and additives so i picked up a bunch of distilled water and some PrimoChill stuff.  I gopt their prep kit, additives & some UV dye.  Now I need to rethink that too   Now I'm off to peruse the watercooling links you attached.  Thanks for all of the advice!!! 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Help & Advice from the Forum Gods 2021/10/30 19:29:28 (permalink)
    Topless_Stang
    I had originally picked up some of the EK fluid but kept hearing it's better to use regular water and additives so i picked up a bunch of distilled water and some PrimoChill stuff.  I gopt their prep kit, additives & some UV dye.

I think that it is a bad idea to mix your own.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Topless_Stang
    iCX Member
    Re: Help & Advice from the Forum Gods 2021/11/02 08:28:26 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Topless_Stang
    I had originally picked up some of the EK fluid but kept hearing it's better to use regular water and additives so i picked up a bunch of distilled water and some PrimoChill stuff.  I gopt their prep kit, additives & some UV dye.

I think that it is a bad idea to mix your own.

Why? What info do you have & what do you use?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile