EVGA

Having to underclock 1080 ti sc2 to play a couple of games??

Author
letterkilled
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 632
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/09/20 17:25:17 (permalink)
Recently I have been getting some GPU crashes on some games I've been playing for a while. It's the first time this has been happening and I'm trying to figure out if it's the GPU at fault here or maybe the PSU?
The games that have been seeing the crashes are Shadow of War and SCUM. Even though i know SCUM is still a beta game, I couldn't play the game longer than 10 minutes. After doing waaaay too much research on a fix, the only conclusion I could come up with was to underclock the GPU. After testing, I was able to play stable at -50 on the GPU clock and MEM clock. I know -50 isnt much, but I'm wondering why now? And what could be the culprit? Is this a GPU thing or could the PSU be not be pushing out enough power? I've got the EVGA 850 P2. Everything is fairly new (when the 8700k came out) and everything is up to date.

Just wanted to see what the EVGA family might think, or if maybe I'm just over thinking.

ASUS P8Z68 GEN3| i7-2600k @4.5GHz| Corsair 16Gigs DDR3| EVGA GTX 580 3GB| Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W| Corsair Force 3 120gig SSD

4 Replies Related Threads

01tdipower
    • Total Posts : 31
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Having to underclock 1080 ti sc2 to play a couple of games?? 2018/09/20 17:27:30 (permalink)
    Graphics driver crashing? Probably need to RMA the card. Shouldn't have to downclock to play anything. Sounds like the card can't handle the factory OC. Also see the sticky, Sajin has a nice troubleshooting guide.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Having to underclock 1080 ti sc2 to play a couple of games?? 2018/09/20 18:19:51 (permalink)
    letterkilled
    Recently I have been getting some GPU crashes on some games I've been playing for a while. It's the first time this has been happening and I'm trying to figure out if it's the GPU at fault here or maybe the PSU?
    The games that have been seeing the crashes are Shadow of War and SCUM. Even though i know SCUM is still a beta game, I couldn't play the game longer than 10 minutes. After doing waaaay too much research on a fix, the only conclusion I could come up with was to underclock the GPU. After testing, I was able to play stable at -50 on the GPU clock and MEM clock. I know -50 isnt much, but I'm wondering why now? And what could be the culprit? Is this a GPU thing or could the PSU be not be pushing out enough power? I've got the EVGA 850 P2. Everything is fairly new (when the 8700k came out) and everything is up to date.

Just wanted to see what the EVGA family might think, or if maybe I'm just over thinking.

Have you tried running in debug mode? That changes things slightly because it just lowers the core clock and not the memory clock. But, if it changes how it acts, it does make it more likely to be the GPU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

letterkilled
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 632
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Having to underclock 1080 ti sc2 to play a couple of games?? 2018/09/20 19:01:26 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    letterkilled

Have you tried running in debug mode? That changes things slightly because it just lowers the core clock and not the memory clock. But, if it changes how it acts, it does make it more likely to be the GPU.

I feel that even If I have to do that, then must be something wrong with the card. THOUGH!! I just installed MSI Afterburner and went into the settings and ticked the "force constant voltage" and played it like that without underclocking it and it seemed to do the trick. played for a little over an hour and no crashes. I'm not sure if its the game or the card if I have to do that.

ASUS P8Z68 GEN3| i7-2600k @4.5GHz| Corsair 16Gigs DDR3| EVGA GTX 580 3GB| Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W| Corsair Force 3 120gig SSD

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Having to underclock 1080 ti sc2 to play a couple of games?? 2018/09/20 19:24:15 (permalink)
    letterkilled
    HeavyHemi
    letterkilled

I feel that even If I have to do that, then must be something wrong with the card. THOUGH!! I just installed MSI Afterburner and went into the settings and ticked the "force constant voltage" and played it like that without underclocking it and it seemed to do the trick. played for a little over an hour and no crashes. I'm not sure if its the game or the card if I have to do that.

You're not understanding what I am saying.  This is just for troubleshooting. You are correct you should not have to make any adjustment to the GPU to play any game. We're trying to eliminate things as possible alternatives to the GPU being defective. Seriously, ~90% of the time it's the GPU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile