Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
AlexP11223
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 10:36:00 (permalink)
ferpixio
Would the LHR change be retroactive to previously released/sold cards?  Also, what will happen with the RTX 2000 series (would the LHR limits apply once the new driver is installed)?

Why would they do that? Miners can just keep using the old drivers.
darklord2021
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 10:49:37 (permalink)
It would be nice for the gamer, but if it is still profitable for miner even after the limiter, we can't expect the actual gamer will be able to get one even after release.
hoffmannbeck
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 10:52:10 (permalink)
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
my fear is about legacy cards. If they limit mining for cards that was sold and we expect to work like that and they just go there and limit mining in a new driver/bios update.

Nvidia never advertised their GPUs to mine anything. So frankly whether or not they limit the legacy cards with a future update means nothing as far as what the cards were advertised to do which is game and do video rendering work. So if they do find a way to limit the cards in the field currently, that would be an epic and satisfying slap in the face to people buying up cards by the truck loads.

But unfortunately software locking will probably be worked around. Any miner would likely just need to hold onto an older driver to work around it.

As well they dont advertised that need to be used for a specific thing. Is a hardware, I can use however I want since there is no restrictions related to warranty. I can mining, I can use for IA, I can use for VR, I can use for gaming or for video editing. There is many possibilities that is not related to these two that you mention and the company never restricted to these, they are only examples about how to use. There is why they created cuda drivers, to have more use of gpu for general purpose. I particulary use for database processing. If is not the primary use I can be restricted too? I agree to limit a new line to avoid scalpers but I dont agree to limit existent ones. And I have fear that these limitations can impact other softwares that uses cuda fetures for processing. Is like to buy a knife and after you pay and are using for months says that: now you can only cut vegetables with it, meat are not allowed do be cut using this knife.
Just to clarify I have no one card mining. I just dont think is fair whoever invested money would simply have the functionality removed due to a lack of semicondutor in the industry.
post edited by hoffmannbeck - 2021/05/14 10:56:22
Ilikeguitars
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 11:14:27 (permalink)
i dont see these cards being any easier to get. scalping is a huge issue  because people would rather spend than wait it out. 
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 345
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 11:32:41 (permalink)
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
my fear is about legacy cards. If they limit mining for cards that was sold and we expect to work like that and they just go there and limit mining in a new driver/bios update.

Nvidia never advertised their GPUs to mine anything. So frankly whether or not they limit the legacy cards with a future update means nothing as far as what the cards were advertised to do which is game and do video rendering work. So if they do find a way to limit the cards in the field currently, that would be an epic and satisfying slap in the face to people buying up cards by the truck loads.

But unfortunately software locking will probably be worked around. Any miner would likely just need to hold onto an older driver to work around it.

As well they dont advertised that need to be used for a specific thing. Is a hardware, I can use however I want since there is no restrictions related to warranty. I can mining, I can use for IA, I can use for VR, I can use for gaming or for video editing. There is many possibilities that is not related to these two that you mention and the company never restricted to these, they are only examples about how to use. There is why they created cuda drivers, to have more use of gpu for general purpose. I particulary use for database processing. If is not the primary use I can be restricted too? I agree to limit a new line to avoid scalpers but I dont agree to limit existent ones. And I have fear that these limitations can impact other softwares that uses cuda fetures for processing. Is like to buy a knife and after you pay and are using for months says that: now you can only cut vegetables with it, meat are not allowed do be cut using this knife.
Just to clarify I have no one card mining. I just dont think is fair whoever invested money would simply have the functionality removed due to a lack of semicondutor in the industry.

They can and have limited their gaming GPUs in certain areas so that professionals end up getting pushed to their workstation cards rather than the cheaper Geforce GPUs. Nvidia is well within their rights to release new drivers that limit mining and its up to you whether or not you update the drivers. They obviously can't just take your card and put new firmware on it so the choice will be yours.

CPU: I7 7820x @ 4.7ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Pro x299
Mem: Corsair Vengeance LP 3000mhz
PSU: EVGA 850 Supernova G3
GPU: FE Nvidia RTX 3090
Case: Corsair 5000d Airflow
CPU Cooler: EKWB AIO 360 Elite
Stickboy46
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 11:38:14 (permalink)
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck

They can and have limited their gaming GPUs in certain areas so that professionals end up getting pushed to their workstation cards rather than the cheaper Geforce GPUs. Nvidia is well within their rights to release new drivers that limit mining and its up to you whether or not you update the drivers. They obviously can't just take your card and put new firmware on it so the choice will be yours.

Very legal gray area here.  See Apple and limiting performance to save batteries.  Could NVIDIA do it and be ok ? possibly.  Could they also be held liable for damages?  Yes they could.  Probably a battle that NVIDIA likely wont want to enter.  It's much easier to release a new model number (even if it's with the SAME hardware) and advertise that as a card for gaming with gimped mining performance.  That is the much more likely scenario.  

i7-10700kf @ 5.1
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
MSI Z490 ACE
8gbx4 G.Skill TridentZ DDR 4000CL15
EVGA 3090 Kingpin
Corsair AX1200i
Lian Li O11 XL Dynamic
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 12:01:28 (permalink)
Stickboy46
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck

Very legal gray area here.  See Apple and limiting performance to save batteries.  Could NVIDIA do it and be ok ? possibly.  Could they also be held liable for damages?  Yes they could.  Probably a battle that NVIDIA likely wont want to enter.  It's much easier to release a new model number (even if it's with the SAME hardware) and advertise that as a card for gaming with gimped mining performance.  That is the much more likely scenario.  

Lol you are dreaming if you think there is any legal gray area when it comes to nvidia limiting mining performance in a GeForce gaming GPU. If they do it and it doesn't effect their overall gaming/rendering performance then you're not losing anything as a GeForce GPU customer. If you bought their HX mining GPU and a driver update crippled their mining performance then you can claim some sort of legal gray area.

If they do release a new GeForce driver that limits performance to miners then as a miner it is up to you whether or not you want to run the new drivers. If you decide to update then you get to live with the cripple and nvidia has nothing to answer for.

Stickboy46
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 14:32:33 (permalink)
TheDoctorCMG
Stickboy46
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck

Lol you are dreaming if you think there is any legal gray area when it comes to nvidia limiting mining performance in a GeForce gaming GPU. If they do it and it doesn't effect their overall gaming/rendering performance then you're not losing anything as a GeForce GPU customer. If you bought their HX mining GPU and a driver update crippled their mining performance then you can claim some sort of legal gray area.

If they do release a new GeForce driver that limits performance to miners then as a miner it is up to you whether or not you want to run the new drivers. If you decide to update then you get to live with the cripple and nvidia has nothing to answer for.

You are dreaming if you think there ISN'T a legal gray area.  Sorry not going to debate you on that.  Doesn't matter either because NVIDIA isn't going to do it because their lawyers are telling them not to. 

i7-10700kf @ 5.1
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix
MSI Z490 ACE
8gbx4 G.Skill TridentZ DDR 4000CL15
EVGA 3090 Kingpin
Corsair AX1200i
Lian Li O11 XL Dynamic
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/05/14 15:00:01 (permalink)
Stickboy46
TheDoctorCMG
Stickboy46
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck

You are dreaming if you think there ISN'T a legal gray area.  Sorry not going to debate you on that.  Doesn't matter either because NVIDIA isn't going to do it because their lawyers are telling them not to. 

You won't debate because there is nothing to be debated. If they release a driver that limits mining efficiency and you install it, that's on you buddy, not nvidia's problem. But it would be pretty hilarious to see a bunch of salty miners actually try to take them to court if it happens. 

Redrum187
  • Total Posts : 13
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/10 13:05:37 (permalink)
Who are they to be able to tell us what we want to do with our card F them
03fan
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/10 13:08:31 (permalink)
I don't like the limiter..... the mining profitability is the only reason I could justify spending over $800 on a GPU.  I still think the 60/70/80 cards should be $300/400/500 respectively.
Macusercom
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/10 13:25:06 (permalink)
03fan
I don't like the limiter..... the mining profitability is the only reason I could justify spending over $800 on a GPU.  I still think the 60/70/80 cards should be $300/400/500 respectively.

Isn't there a way around that already? I thought the hash limits have been successfully removed already? 
TheDoctorCMG
iCX Member
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/10 13:28:49 (permalink)
Macusercom
03fan

Isn't there a way around that already? I thought the hash limits have been successfully removed already? 

That was only the RTX 3060 when nvidia "leaked" a driver that disabled it. The new hardware/firmware/software level limiter is still working as intended. 

evgadaddio
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/10 13:43:20 (permalink)
hoffmannbeck
TheDoctorCMG
hoffmannbeck

As well they dont advertised that need to be used for a specific thing. Is a hardware, I can use however I want since there is no restrictions related to warranty.

There is a restriction on warrantee

• Any damages to the components, hardware and/or assembly of the Products including but not limited to damages caused as a result of neglect, abuse, accidents, misuse, or unusual physical, electrical or electromechanical stress (including due to uninterrupted use of the Products, or use of the Products for blockchain processing, cryptocurrency mining, or similar purposes).

ArgentiusDarkon
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/14 07:02:37 (permalink)
I think limiting hash rate is a form of discrimination and should be taking to court to combat the illegality of it, i know if we told anyone else that they could buy an item and use it the way they wish but others cannot, there would be some major ramifications..
Lavitias
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/14 09:30:32 (permalink)
Its only limited for Ethereum which is going away soon anyway. So really its pointless.
nN117
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/15 16:52:16 (permalink)
If its posible to lower HR for 50%, why they didn't turned it of at all, or make it 80%? Souns catchy for me.
SignorMagnifico
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Hashrate limiter across the entire 30 series 2021/06/15 17:00:23 (permalink)
I would like to think Nvidia has a good heart and wants to make sure their GPUs go to gamers, but, truth be told, they are a corporation. Nvidia's primary motive is going to be profit, and they stand to profit the most from hash rate limiters. This way, their new RTX cards will satisfy more gamer demand, and the crypto miners will be forced to buy the CMP cards, which are basically recycled 20 series chips that didn't sell. At the end of the day, Nvidia sells more cards this way, so it's most likely a business decision.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile