EVGA

Helpful ReplyHOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3month?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
xmanrigger
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/16 22:56:34 (permalink)
kevinc313
No sure what OP's deal is.  Kinda sus.

Anyway.  I think it's a good idea to run a GPU for a few weeks to prove it out before installing a waterblock or hybrid kit.

It is not uncommon to burn in electronics and tune them in a professional context, but this is more for testing for failures or abnormal behavior.

Ha ha. I stuff the brand new card in. If it posts, Windows loads, and can complete a benchmark or two, out it comes and on goes the waterblock. A few weeks testing? I hardly think so. Prove what out? The card is either going to work or it is not going to work. If you need to test, you will know within an hour or two if the card is any good. If all that concerned about it, hell, get NASA to build it for you. Wait.... maybe dont do that. They have a history with thermal pads and it aint good.
post edited by xmanrigger - 2022/05/16 22:57:41

ASUS Z490-A Strix / Intel i9-10850K / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal DDR4-4000/ WD M.2 1TB - Kingston M.2 2TB / EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Asus 28" @ 3840X2160
Cooling: CPU - EK Velocity Strike / GPU - EK Quantum Vector w/ Backplate /  2X Alphacool Nexxxos UT60 360 rads / Tygon 1/2" X 3/4" tubing / BitsPower fiittings
http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=32550
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2363
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 05:47:14 (permalink)
Wish this thread was dead. Lol
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 06:06:30 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07
HeavyHemi
jaredbyoung
HeavyHemi
About the only advice I have somewhat tangential to the topic is... after a heavy gaming session, I let the system rest at idle for 5 minutes or so prior to shutting down. Thermal fatigue is a thing.

If you leave the system on at idle there is active cooling working to cool the parts down quickly.

If you turn the system off the parts will passively radiate heat.

That's not even getting into different components and their densities.

But at the end of the day all of this is overthinking the issue. I have no intention of using this GPU 20 years from now. Regardless of how I use it (within reasonable design specifications and intended use cases) it will last longer than I need it to unless there is an actual defect which usually causes failure quickly (weeks, months, not years).

I'm not even sure why you're responding. I clearly mean to let the system cool down a few minutes right after a hard gaming session.  Why would I be talking about a system at idle?
One of the things I did in a prior lifetime was extensive studies on CTE mismatch. So yeah, we can get into different components all day.

I think they are saying that turning it off right away could be better for it rather than 'letting it cool down at idle for a while'. I think what they are saying is that you could reduce thermal stress by letting it cool slower and more uniformly rather than shock cooling it unevenly with air cooling while idle.
Interesting thing to consider.

What? 
"I think they are saying that turning it off right away could be better for it rather than 'letting it cool down at idle for a while"
followed by
"I think what they are saying is that you could reduce thermal stress by letting it cool slower and more uniformly rather than shock cooling it unevenly with air cooling while idle."

I said it is better to let the system idle for a bit after an extended gaming session to cool down versus shutting the system down immediately,... in plain English. I cannot figure out how such a simple thing can be so confusing. This is what happens when folks just like to argue instead of having a point.

You are suggesting that cooling the components down quickly is important or that by shutting the system off completely while hot is going to cause thermal fatigue. It's complete nonsense to think that letting the fans cool down your system before shutting it off is doing anything useful. Taking a hot component and cooling it down quickly is no better for that component than taking that hot component and letting it cool down more slowly and more evenly.

As has been said. I get what you're saying. I know what you mean. I just think that you're wrong. But the difference is so meaningless that it will have no tangible effect in the real world.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HURT YOUR COMPUTER BY SHUTTING IT OFF WHEN IT IS HOT!
rottentreats
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 08:52:47 (permalink)
I always put my computer in a pre-heated oven when I am done gaming to ensure it stays above operational temperature, then when I am gaming it's not as hot as it usually is so it performs better.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and I obviously always keep the oven door cracked open a bit, I'm not stupid.

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID

Spoiler
this should be on the trunk of a car
close

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 09:05:10 (permalink)
jaredbyoung
HeavyHemi
ty_ger07
HeavyHemi
jaredbyoung
HeavyHemi
About the only advice I have somewhat tangential to the topic is... after a heavy gaming session, I let the system rest at idle for 5 minutes or so prior to shutting down. Thermal fatigue is a thing.

If you leave the system on at idle there is active cooling working to cool the parts down quickly.

If you turn the system off the parts will passively radiate heat.

That's not even getting into different components and their densities.

But at the end of the day all of this is overthinking the issue. I have no intention of using this GPU 20 years from now. Regardless of how I use it (within reasonable design specifications and intended use cases) it will last longer than I need it to unless there is an actual defect which usually causes failure quickly (weeks, months, not years).

I'm not even sure why you're responding. I clearly mean to let the system cool down a few minutes right after a hard gaming session.  Why would I be talking about a system at idle?
One of the things I did in a prior lifetime was extensive studies on CTE mismatch. So yeah, we can get into different components all day.

I think they are saying that turning it off right away could be better for it rather than 'letting it cool down at idle for a while'. I think what they are saying is that you could reduce thermal stress by letting it cool slower and more uniformly rather than shock cooling it unevenly with air cooling while idle.
Interesting thing to consider.

What? 
"I think they are saying that turning it off right away could be better for it rather than 'letting it cool down at idle for a while"
followed by
"I think what they are saying is that you could reduce thermal stress by letting it cool slower and more uniformly rather than shock cooling it unevenly with air cooling while idle."

I said it is better to let the system idle for a bit after an extended gaming session to cool down versus shutting the system down immediately,... in plain English. I cannot figure out how such a simple thing can be so confusing. This is what happens when folks just like to argue instead of having a point.

You are suggesting that cooling the components down quickly is important or that by shutting the system off completely while hot is going to cause thermal fatigue. It's complete nonsense to think that letting the fans cool down your system before shutting it off is doing anything useful. Taking a hot component and cooling it down quickly is no better for that component than taking that hot component and letting it cool down more slowly and more evenly.

As has been said. I get what you're saying. I know what you mean. I just think that you're wrong. But the difference is so meaningless that it will have no tangible effect in the real world.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HURT YOUR COMPUTER BY SHUTTING IT OFF WHEN IT IS HOT!

It is amazing how poor comprehension is. The simple sentenced I posted was 'About the only advice I have somewhat tangential to the topic is... after a heavy gaming session, I let the system rest at idle for 5 minutes or so prior to shutting down. Thermal fatigue is a thing.

There is nothing there about quickly or anything else. In fact I said the opposite. REST AT IDLE is not COOL DOWN QUICKLY. You folks just make things up to create an argument. Simple common sense advice that after a  gaming session, when your system is thermally soaked, it is not a bad idea to  let the system cool down to ambient temp for a few minutes prior to shutting down.  I'm not wrong, I used to do these studies professionally.
If I wasn't still under an NDA from Apple, I could tell you precisely why they had a high failure rate on the OG iMac. Now go ahead a make another argument based on what I didn't post. Holy cow.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

CraptacularOne
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14533
  • Ribbons : 222
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 09:23:10 (permalink)

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
rottentreats
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 09:28:19 (permalink)
PRO TIP! Use command prompt to shutdown your computer after a specified amount of time! For those who are cool down compelled.

Example to shutdown computer after 10 minutes:
shutdown /f /s /t 600

/f forces running applications to close.
/s specifies shutdown. Could also use /r for restart.
/t specifies the amount of time (in seconds)

If you change your mind and want to abort you can use:
shutdown /a

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID

Spoiler
this should be on the trunk of a car
close

musicsong22
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 10:28:13 (permalink)
HEATING UP to max temp is main performance gaming concerns on the Graphic Card, and
PX1 installment might be first choice,
since the new RTX models designed performs adjustable cooling with the Precision X1.

Graphic Card support bracket would help make full contact on the PCIe Pin connectors thus minimizing the pin damages;
on all 164pins with transfer rate 4Gb/sec to receive and to transfer the data.

- the FANS SPINING should not be blocked or hindered by any bracket parts(manual check req.)
 - the Graphic Card OVERALL BALANCED and SUPPORTED is important as to find a right spot for the bracket placement.
 - if second bracket is not feasible.
post edited by musicsong22 - 2022/05/18 11:52:47
ObscureEmpyre
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 972
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 10:33:30 (permalink)
kraade
Wish this thread was dead. Lol

Pretty sure this thread is the equivalent of someone posting a picture of a rock on social media just to prove that people will argue about anything.

firerain
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 10:58:10 (permalink)
rottentreats
PRO TIP! Use command prompt to shutdown your computer after a specified amount of time! For those who are cool down compelled.

Example to shutdown computer after 10 minutes:
shutdown /f /s /t 600

/f forces running applications to close.
/s specifies shutdown. Could also use /r for restart.
/t specifies the amount of time (in seconds)

If you change your mind and want to abort you can use:
shutdown /a

Beyond pro tip: Never shut down computer. Have about 6 computers that are on 24/7.

Pc0 Legion pre built / 3090Fe / 10900k
Pc1 8700k /2x EVGA 3080 TI / EVGA Z375 micro
Pc2 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2678 v3 / 3080 / EVGA 3060, EVGA 1660 ti
Pc3 EVGA x99 micro / E5 2620 v3 / EVGA 3080, 1650
Pc4 HP pre built AMD R5 3500 / 2060 ko
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11082
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 11:02:29 (permalink)
Well if you want it to last 30+ years, never turn it on.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: HOW TO MAKE THE GPU better performing by following warm up steps for first initial 3mo 2022/05/17 11:39:09 (permalink)
bill1024
Well if you want it to last 30+ years, never turn it on.

Haha.. good one.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile