EVGA

HOLY CRAP my computer caught FIRE!!! (now with pics)

Author
Nahte27
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1812
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2010/08/14 00:06:11 (permalink)
So, I just finished playing some Napoleon: Total War and decided to check email/Facebook before I went to bed. As I was checking those, my PC suddenly shut down for seemingly no reason... I hit the power button, but it only stayed on for a few seconds. I hit the power button again (probably a stupid thing to do) and the next thing I know my pc is glowing like a signal flare and smoke is rising up from the top exhaust fans! I quickly hit the power switch on the back of my PSU, which killed the glow, but my room was full of smoke and my PC is dead...

I disconnected all the plugs and removed the Sound Card and GPUs (which seem to be ok). There's an obvious charred area above the Mosfets (right above the "140W CPU READY" labeled heatsink in the picture below.

I'll try to get pics tomorrow afternoon or so, when I get back from my trip.

I can't tell if it's the Mainboard's fault or if it's the CPU power connection. I don't have time to disassemble and fully analyze it now. I have an early road trip tomorrow morning, so this will have to wait until afterwords...

The good news is, the mainboard and PSU are still under warranty. I think the PSU is ok, but I'm not willing to risk anything yet. Th other good news is that this didn't happen while I was gone! I fold quite a bit, and this could have easily happened while I was away, or even during the night!

So, my question is, where do I go from here? I know a mainboard RMA is in order, but how do I know my other parts weren't fried in the process? I could use all the advice I can get at the moment. I won't be able to do anything until tomorrow night, but I hope I can get this fixed soon...

For now, I'm going to bed. It's been a stressful day, but it went out with a bang (I can't tell if that's funny or not. It's too late...)
post edited by Nahte27 - 2010/08/17 09:41:47

27 Replies Related Threads

cai_shawn
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3270
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/14 00:14:55 (permalink)
    I know this may sound like a needle in a haystack, but do you have surge protection or a UPC connected to your computer?

Kind of sound like your computer was shorting.

[style="line-height: 1.8;"]| HeatWare[style="line-height: 1.8;"] |
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/14 01:24:29 (permalink)
    Sounds like a mainboard problem as a first estimate. If you know how to handle a voltmeter you could jumper some pins and check the PSU. If you don't feel confident you could ask a PC technician to check it for you but there will probably be a fee for labor.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

emersj
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1120
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/14 05:10:20 (permalink)
    There is a $10 voltage tester you can buy that plugs into the 20+4 pin connection, 8 pin CPU rail, 6,8 pin PCIe connections and also sata and molex. It can test all the rails to verify that they are providing proper voltage. I don't have a link handy at the moment but if you look around online you can probably find it and its worth the cheap investment to check all the different voltage rails without having to use a multimeter.

Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.2Ghz 
    Corsair H70  
    CM HAF 932 10-120mm Red LED fans
    EVGA E760 Classified
    Mushkin Redline 12Gb 1600mhz 6-8-6-18
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    EVGA GTX470
    EVGA GTX275 1792MB
    2-60GB Mushkin Callisto Deluxe in RAID0 (550/510 read/write)
    3 - 1TB WD Black
    2 - 500GB WD Black

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/14 08:16:49 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/14 09:02:09 (permalink)
    cai_shawn

I know this may sound like a needle in a haystack, but do you have surge protection or a UPC connected to your computer?

Kind of sound like your computer was shorting.

Yes, everything is plugged in to a good surge protector.

And thanks for the advice everyone. That tester seems like what I need. I think the PSU is ok, but it's probably worth the $15 knowing that my PSU is good and won't fry the replacement board.

I'll take the board out tonight and examine it more closely. But I could tell this morning that it's definitely charred around the mosfet and CPU power connector area.
    Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 14:04:49 (permalink)
    I took some pictures, just in case MSI requests them. I thought I'd post them here for those interested.

Here's the destroyed chip. It's probably some sort of voltage regulator.

A couple of capacitors were knocked to the side. It's almost like the chip exploded!

Here's thee other side of the mosfet heatsink.

Closeup

Not the best picture, but even though the fire only lasted about 4 seconds before I shut it off, it was enough to burn though the other side of the mainboard...

It actually managed to char the back of my motherboard tray. That must have been one hot fire!

So, anyway, now that I've taken it apart, I'm fairly certain it's the mainboard's fault. but I still have a couple of other questions.

1. The fire singed the CPU power connector on my PSU. I bought a PSU tester, and it's on it's way, but even if it works, how do I know the singed connector won't cause problems later? Is there a way to replace the plastic connector, or should I look into sending it back to Corsair?

2. Also, do you think this could have damaged the CPU? I won't know for certain until I try it, but that's what's worrying me most of all. There isn't any physical damage to the CPU that I could see, but I wonder if it could still be fried somehow. I'm not so sure AMD will replace a CPU that was damaged by a faulty motherboard...
    Section_25
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 333
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 15:16:46 (permalink)
    Whoa ... that looks ugly !!

I would assume that your CPU survived this ordeal, but I would contact Corsair and explain what happened. They might let you go ahead an RMA just to be on the safe side. Corsair is good for that sort of thing.

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.6 GHz (Stock)
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x58
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws (6GB) DDR3
    GPU: GTX 770  
    SSD: Kingston 120gb 
    PSU: Corsair TX750W  
    Heatsink: Corsair H50 (Push/Pull) 
    Display: Acer 24" Widescreen 1920x1080     
    O/S: Windows 8.1 Pro 64x  

ZachA
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5067
    • Ribbons : 31
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 15:27:16 (permalink)

Bad day right there

Advice - By EVGA or ASUS next time

Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 15:38:06 (permalink)
    Section_25

Whoa ... that looks ugly !!

I would assume that your CPU survived this ordeal, but I would contact Corsair and explain what happened. They might let you go ahead an RMA just to be on the safe side. Corsair is good for that sort of thing.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask... Posting on their forums now.

ZachA

Bad day right there

Advice - By EVGA or ASUS next time

Yeah, tell me about it...

Actually, I had an ASUS and hated it. Maybe I just had a weaker model, but it seemed to be fighting with me all the time. I got fed up and replaced it with the MSI, which has been great, that is, until it exploded...

And I would love an EVGA, except I have an Phenom II X6. For my next build I'm definitely doing EVGA!
    Ultimatum01
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 15:51:21 (permalink)
    I want to buy a Big Bang xpower x58 board , but now im scared it will live up to its name....  ,  What are your guys general views on MSI? Sorry to thread jack nahte.

Savings for new build. [||||||||||]  [100% Saved]
    Parts Purchased: Tj07 Btx Black internals, U2311h , G15 , 1tb Caviar black

Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 16:05:05 (permalink)
    Ultimatum01

I want to buy a Big Bang xpower x58 board , but now im scared it will live up to its name....  ,  What are your guys general views on MSI? Sorry to thread jack nahte.

Honestly, this is the first I've ever heard of anything happening like this. The board I had has always had good reviews, and it's really a rather popular board because it's the only AM3 board in the world that supports 3 way SLI (unless another has come out recently). MSI takes pride in DrMos, which is a sort of advanced mosfet (Link) so I was a bit surprised to see what I think was a mosfet catch fire. However, as I recall the newer EVGA boards use DrMos as well (Link), so I don't think it's a bad product, I just think I had a bad board.

I'm waiting to see how they handle the news, and what kind of response I'll get. I think that will tell a lot about MSI. Personally I've had good experience with MSI support in the past (even though they're not open on weekends) so i'm really hoping I'll have a good one again with this incident. I plan on keeping this thread updated with MSI's (and Corsair's) responses.

As far as the XPower, I've really admired that board, and I've heard it has won a lot of awards. But if this thread has shaken you a bit (for understandable reasons) then you could always go for the 4 way Classified, which is pretty much EVGA's equivalent.
    post edited by Nahte27 - 2010/08/15 16:07:06
    Ultimatum01
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 16:27:46 (permalink)
    Nahte27

Ultimatum01

Honestly, this is the first I've ever heard of anything happening like this. The board I had has always had good reviews, and it's really a rather popular board because it's the only AM3 board in the world that supports 3 way SLI (unless another has come out recently). MSI takes pride in DrMos, which is a sort of advanced mosfet (Link) so I was a bit surprised to see what I think was a mosfet catch fire. However, as I recall the newer EVGA boards use DrMos as well (Link), so I don't think it's a bad product, I just think I had a bad board.

I'm waiting to see how they handle the news, and what kind of response I'll get. I think that will tell a lot about MSI. Personally I've had good experience with MSI support in the past (even though they're not open on weekends) so i'm really hoping I'll have a good one again with this incident. I plan on keeping this thread updated with MSI's (and Corsair's) responses.

As far as the XPower, I've really admired that board, and I've heard it has won a lot of awards. But if this thread has shaken you a bit (for understandable reasons) then you could always go for the 4 way Classified, which is pretty much EVGA's equivalent.

Hey thanks for the response. I guess these things can happen to any motherboard manufacturer really. I used to have a AM2 MSI board and i never had any problems.  Im just interested in what peoples views are on MSI, before i shell out £250 on a new board next month. Im a big fan of EVGA and i have used there products in the past ( also without trouble). But the 4-way classy is almost £100 more than the xpower. And the 3way version is £30 more and doesnt have half as many features as the xpower.  It comes down to price really. Otherwise i would happily settle for the 4-way classified, but unfortunately i have allocated £260 max for my mobo. The xpower is £250 here and comes with Metro 2033 free.  ( 4-way classified is a whopping £328!! Equivalent to $511US)

Savings for new build. [||||||||||]  [100% Saved]
    Parts Purchased: Tj07 Btx Black internals, U2311h , G15 , 1tb Caviar black

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/15 23:22:27 (permalink)
    Yikes! Sorry that happened. Sucks!    :(

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Nascarsucks
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 201
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/16 18:18:16 (permalink)
    Your story just made my stomach turn, I just bought the same MB from newegg. I guess I'm glad I bought the warranty with it (I usually don't). I guess I'll have a phone close when I first boot it up as I may have to call the fire dept.

ASUS Crosshair V /Phenom II X6 4.0Ghz/CORSAIR Vengeance 16 Gb  DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory / EVGA GTX 480 X3 SLI w Aquacomputer waterblocks /NZXT Switch 810 /Swiftech h220 in custom loop/Corsair AX 1200 / 2-3TB Seagate HDs /OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (boot drive)/Samsung SyncMaster 23"/ Windows 7 64 bit 

dieman566
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 710
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 01:03:18 (permalink)
    That would of scared the **** outta me,  Next time buy evga mate :)

Don't forget to protect your investment click on the picture below to register your new product and give me credit!

General_Jameson
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 667
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 01:17:00 (permalink)
    Ultimatum01

I just got my second MSI board my first I have had since December and is the little brother to the OP's I have the NF750-G55 and my new one is the 870-G45 set up for 24/7 folding been going for almost a week non-stop and don't plan on stopping. Personally I was impressed with MSI the boards seem to be of good quality I think this was just a fluke.

If EVGA had a AMD/AM3 board I would of gone with that but I dont think we will be seeing that. MSI warranty is nothing like EVGA.  
    realmad37
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2612
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 01:23:14 (permalink)
    DAMM MAN! That's one fried board you got there, it must have been almost 500c to burn like that and leave marks, I also wouldn't be surprised if a capacitor exploded in an outward fashion sucks for you man, hope my classy never does that to me, also good luck to you hope this you never experience this again!

Sraet
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 01:23:30 (permalink)
    MSI was always good for the Stepping Stone hardware they made... You could almost always support current and next generation hardware soyou could reuse alot of what you had and then piece in the new parts with out much down time.

2 bad boards in a row and what I would have to rate as not stellar customer service made me go elsewhere, combine that with required laptops for school and I just used those for 4-5 years.

Ive come back to desktops and the last 3 systems have been mostly EVGA hardware (mostly cause they dont make RAM and didnt make PSUs until recently :)).

I am however now going out on a limb and trying an ASUS board for a computer that will sit along side the one I am on now, which is still almost all EVGA (or OCZ :)) i see people say good things but almost all the remarks are 'WEll if ya cant go EVGA I guess.... ' etc, hehe :)

Anywho, back to OP topic... Sorry to see that happen, and yeah, it is likely the chip 'burst into flame' rather than 'caught on fire'.. Surprised that it didnt make some sort of noticeable noise... Maybe PSUs should get smoke detectors to automagically shut themselves down :)
    Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 09:21:12 (permalink)
    Sraet

MSI was always good for the Stepping Stone hardware they made... You could almost always support current and next generation hardware soyou could reuse alot of what you had and then piece in the new parts with out much down time.

2 bad boards in a row and what I would have to rate as not stellar customer service made me go elsewhere, combine that with required laptops for school and I just used those for 4-5 years.

Ive come back to desktops and the last 3 systems have been mostly EVGA hardware (mostly cause they dont make RAM and didnt make PSUs until recently :)).

I am however now going out on a limb and trying an ASUS board for a computer that will sit along side the one I am on now, which is still almost all EVGA (or OCZ :)) i see people say good things but almost all the remarks are 'WEll if ya cant go EVGA I guess.... ' etc, hehe :)

Anywho, back to OP topic... Sorry to see that happen, and yeah, it is likely the chip 'burst into flame' rather than 'caught on fire'.. Surprised that it didnt make some sort of noticeable noise... Maybe PSUs should get smoke detectors to automagically shut themselves down :)

Their customer service has been decent to me. It's not exactly stellar, but it works. They did however, give me an unreleased beta bios once, so I could run an X6 before it was officially supported! That was nice of them!

And no, I wasn't running the beta bios when this caught fire!

Oh, and it did make a noise. A terrible noise. When I turned it on, right before it caught fire, I heard this Crack Crack, and then a high pitched whistling like a teakettle when it actually burst into flame.

Nascarsucks

Your story just made my stomach turn, I just bought the same MB from newegg. I guess I'm glad I bought the warranty with it (I usually don't). I guess I'll have a phone close when I first boot it up as I may have to call the fire dept.

This is a really popular board because it's SLI + AM3. I've never heard of any sort of catastrophe like this on these boards, so I'm pretty sure it's just a fluke. Also, it was the mosfet area that caught fire, and MSI and EVGA use the same mosfets on all their high end boards, so I don't think it really has anything to do with this particular board. You can rest easy

General_Jameson

I just got my second MSI board my first I have had since December and is the little brother to the OP's I have the NF750-G55 and my new one is the 870-G45 set up for 24/7 folding been going for almost a week non-stop and don't plan on stopping. Personally I was impressed with MSI the boards seem to be of good quality I think this was just a fluke.

If EVGA had a AMD/AM3 board I would of gone with that but I dont think we will be seeing that. MSI warranty is nothing like EVGA.  

I almost got that board. It just wouldn't support 2 GPUs and my sound card at the same time, so I went with the NF980-G65. I've heard it's a good board though.

And EVGA used to make AMD boards, but for some reason they stopped when the AM3 socket came out... A lot of people are buying these SLI enabled MSI boards, so with EVGA being so Nvidia/SLI driven, I don't see why they don't make some sort of AM3 classified and compete with MSI's  SLI AM3 boards. For now MSI is the only one that has them, and they're selling quite well!
    post edited by Nahte27 - 2010/08/17 09:35:43
    Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/17 09:39:27 (permalink)
    Oh, and I heard from MSI yesterday to go ahead and send it in, so I shipped it out last night. The funny thing is, they had me ship a "Motherboard Repair Form" with it. Lol, good luck repairing that MSI

And I went ahead and requested an RMA with Corsair, due to a recommendation from a guy on their forms. I have yet to hear back from them, but they said it could be a couple of days...
    Rukian
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1273
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/18 00:25:44 (permalink)
    Friday 13th. And there you go military quality components :))
    mBrane
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/18 20:41:58 (permalink)
    post edited by mBrane - 2010/08/18 21:05:14

- mBrane

5thduke
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3343
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/20 17:01:52 (permalink)
    any chance your vreg over heated man you better monitor your temps with your new board sorry for what happind pita

never attempt to remove a fly from your friends head with a meat cleaver .  

Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/21 20:22:16 (permalink)
    5thduke

any chance your vreg over heated man you better monitor your temps with your new board sorry for what happind pita

I constantly monitored CPU temps, and occasionally checked other temps with HWmonitor. I never saw anything out of the ordinary. Other than flames...

Anywho, in case anyone is following this, I saw today that MSI just received my Mainboard. Hopefully I'll get the replacement soon.

Also, I just shipped out my PSU today. Corsair claims to have quick turnaround times (4-5 days, as opposed to MSI's 1-2 weeks) so hopefully it'll get back around the same time as the mainboard. I'd like to be ready for the Time Zone Challenge on September 1st! It's also a good opportunity to test my replacement parts and put them through their paces. I mean, slowly and safely, of course!
    Madrias
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4825
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/08/28 10:05:50 (permalink)
    Sounds to me like a capacitor blew.  Advantage of messing with electronics, I've done my fair share of destroying components (never in a computer, though) and found caps whistle somewhat, and integrated circuit chips (for those not in the full know, the little black things) explode quite violently when something goes catastrophically wrong.

Electrical fires can get quite hot, actually.  I've learned my lessons that circuits that don't look like they're warm at all can be finger-scorching.  (I've got an imprint on my left thumb of a diode that I touched...) and when they burst into flame, they burn hot.

garetjax
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 438
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/09/01 20:27:06 (permalink)
    Oh man, that sucks. It looks like you torched the motherboard tray of your Silverstone TJ10 case. You can try contacting Joel at Silverstone for a replacement.
    Nahte27
    FTW Member
    Re:HOLY CRAP my computer cought FIRE!!! 2010/09/01 22:29:31 (permalink)
    garetjax

Oh man, that sucks. It looks like you torched the motherboard tray of your Silverstone TJ10 case. You can try contacting Joel at Silverstone for a replacement.

I think I can just clean it to make sure there isn't any residue left. I painted my tray black, so I don't really want to replace it unless it's damaged in a really bad way. It's just a black mark, and it'll be covered up by the board once I get my replacement. MSI is sure taking their sweet time in sending out a new one...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile