EVGA

Gtx 970 ssc. Mosfet lit up like the 4th of July

Author
icy_hot
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/08/12 09:35:17 (permalink)
Mosfet on my gtx 970 caught fire yesterday, was quite a show. could see the arc through the fan and cooler as it shorted out. Let out a bunch of multi-colored smoke, then caught fire. Card was never abused, never-over clocked, was always kept clean and dust free. never operated in a hot environment. Always had more than adequate cooling. Most demanding game was World of Tanks on ultra. Quite disappointed,  500+ dollars,it really should have lasted longer, certainly should have lasted at least 5 years, given that care card was treated with. You know EVGA if you are going to claim you make high-end graphics cards, and charge people high=end prices, why how about you actually make a card that can last. Some of us work damn hard for our money and throwing in the trash is aggravating, dis-heartening, and leave a bad taste in your mouth. Dont know if it the design of the card or the Mosfet that was used, but diving into forums you quickly learn, the mosfet shorting out on the Gtx 970 seems to happen quite often, you might a even come to the conclusion it is a design flaw. I mean seriously when i was a young man, I had a $500 dollar car that lasted longer, and that car actually saw some abuse. Given card was well cared for and cost what it cost, IMO it should be in my computer working. not in a scrap bin. Maybe Im wrong, I know very little about electrical engineering and the design GPU's, and what I do know is self taught. I have spent years flying around the globe building and fixing machines and have been around long enough to have a sense of somethings build quality. Don't matter its in the trash, the real question is do I give my money to you(EVGA) again, given this was my first high-end card and it died quickly leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth, I'm unsure. Cant upload the pictures unfortunately, lol mosfet puffed up like a Crussaint in an oven. 

1 Reply Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Gtx 970 ssc. Mosfet lit up like the 4th of July 2019/08/12 13:04:46 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile