EVGA

AnsweredGreat product, buggy drivers (UPDATE: FIXED!!!)

Author
Talon2020
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 298
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2020/02/20 12:38:54 (permalink)
Purchased the EVGA Nu Audio Pro a few weeks ago and have had a pretty bad experience so far with the drivers and bugs. When the sound card is working it's great and sounds much better than the onboard audio quality. However, most of the time I find myself fighting with the drivers. The software looks pretty but is buggy AF. 

Issues I've had:

1. Sound settings randomly changing or resetting. The Sample rate will change to something random that I've never set before. The apply button does not seem to make this setting stick as it will again randomly change. This doesn't even require a reboot and I can open it later and see a different value. Sometimes it does stick. This also happens to my MIC and audio volume selections. Mostly fixed with, volumes no longer move randomly, but bit quality does still change. 

2. Randomly the sound card will stop responding to inputs at all. It's like the software gets bugged out, I am no longer able to switch between headphones and my speakers as the output device, and volume selections now fail as well. Sound  output will no longer work at all, or won't come out of correct device even though it's selected. No longer happening after updating USB driver.

3. When the sound card or software fails, the PC will get hangs, video streaming won't work (even though internet speed is being tested to be completely fine at 500mbps down). YouTube and Twitch open fast, load up the samples fast, and then when I select a video I get no audio and the video will be stuck in buffer mode. A reboot fixes this issue. This issue only started after installing this new sound card. No longer happening after updating UBS driver.

4. When above #3 happens, games are also affected and I get terrible microstutters. It's as if the sound card is causing some weird system hang or latency and causing overall system instability issues.     This issue was related to my Corsair AIO and HWINFO64 monitoring. Fixed and unrelated to EVGA soundcard.

5. A reboot/driver reinstall seems to fix the issues temporarily, but they all come back soon after. 

System Specs:
Intel i9 9900KS
ASUS z390 Maximus Hero XI -- Latest BIOS and drivers installed
EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
32gb DDR4 4000Mhz in 4x8gb 
1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME
Win10 Pro on latest 1909 with all updates installed

Edit: Update the card is working 99% perfect after updating to latest Asmedia USB 3.0 software tagged by EVGA tech below. 

https://cdn.evga.com/nuau...SBHost_V116591WHQL.zip
post edited by gaubry - 2020/03/21 09:15:37

i9 13900K | EVGA Z690 DARK | NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 8000 CL36 SK Hynix A-Die | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1000 P6 | LG C1 55 OLED 4K 120Hz G-Sync
silentknyght
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/20 13:10:16 (permalink)
So, I've experienced #2, but it's rare.  It's occurred for me 3-4 times, so approximately 1 time per month since I bought the card.  (Only) once did it occur while I was actively using my system, but even then I have no idea what caused the glitch. I haven't ever tried to do anything else when this happens, though--I just restart immediately--so I can't speak to #3.  A reboot does fit it immediately, though.
wikksmith
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/20 13:56:08 (permalink)
I've found a crude work around for the problem of the sound card becoming unresponsive with PC inactivity: running the Insomnia app () keeps the sound card responsive, but only if the Nu Audio settings window is open.  I also lost part of the card's logo when removing the plastic covering.  Disappointing.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/20 19:00:59 (permalink)
It would be pretty unprecedented for EVGA to release software which wasn't buggy.  I feel bad for them by saying it, I certainly could never even attempt to do the same (nor better), software engineering for a wide range of systems is difficult and complex, but it's just the cold hard truth.  Others are able to do better; that's for sure.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/21 14:52:37 (permalink)
I'm going to lump your issues mentioned in #3, 4, and 5 together since once drivers crash, a lot of unpredictable behavior occurs, especially with audio. 

gaubry
Purchased the EVGA Nu Audio Pro a few weeks ago and have had a pretty bad experience so far with the drivers and bugs. When the sound card is working it's great and sounds much better than the onboard audio quality. However, most of the time I find myself fighting with the drivers. The software looks pretty but is buggy AF. 

Issues I've had:

1. Sound settings randomly changing or resetting. The Sample rate will change to something random that I've never set before. The apply button does not seem to make this setting stick as it will again randomly change. This doens't even require a reboot and I can open it later and see a different value. Sometimes it does stick. This also happens to my MIC and audio volume selections. 

2. Randomly the sound card will stop responding to inputs at all. It's like the software gets bugged out, I am no longer able to switch between headphones and my speakers as the output device, and volume selections now fail as well. Sound  output will no longer work at all, or won't come out of correct device even though it's selected.

First, do you have ASUS Sonic Studio III installed?  This is also a Nahimic product and can cause conflict with the NU Audio Pro Drivers.  If it's installed, please uninstall it, reboot, and see if you continue to have issues.

Second, try installing the latest ASMedia drivers here:  https://cdn.evga.com/nuaudiocard/ASMUSBHost_V116591WHQL.zip

Third, if it seems like all the inputs have crashed, if you open up the Windows Sound Menu and switch the defaults from NU Audio to something else and back, does audio start playing again? 

Lastly, at least one Windows Update is known to introduce Audio issues - KB4532695.  You might try rolling that back to see if it helps.

As a side note, are you using Dolby Atmos for Headphones?

Talon2020
iCX Member
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/21 15:08:57 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM
I'm going to lump your issues mentioned in #3, 4, and 5 together since once drivers crash, a lot of unpredictable behavior occurs, especially with audio. 

gaubry

Issues I've had:

1. Sound settings randomly changing or resetting. The Sample rate will change to something random that I've never set before. The apply button does not seem to make this setting stick as it will again randomly change. This doens't even require a reboot and I can open it later and see a different value. Sometimes it does stick. This also happens to my MIC and audio volume selections. 

2. Randomly the sound card will stop responding to inputs at all. It's like the software gets bugged out, I am no longer able to switch between headphones and my speakers as the output device, and volume selections now fail as well. Sound  output will no longer work at all, or won't come out of correct device even though it's selected.

First, do you have ASUS Sonic Studio III installed?  This is also a Nahimic product and can cause conflict with the NU Audio Pro Drivers.  If it's installed, please uninstall it, reboot, and see if you continue to have issues.

Second, try installing the latest ASMedia drivers here:  https://cdn.evga.com/nuaudiocard/ASMUSBHost_V116591WHQL.zip

Third, if it seems like all the inputs have crashed, if you open up the Windows Sound Menu and switch the defaults from NU Audio to something else and back, does audio start playing again? 

Lastly, at least one Windows Update is known to introduce Audio issues - KB4532695.  You might try rolling that back to see if it helps.

As a side note, are you using Dolby Atmos for Headphones?

Hey Lee thanks for the response and help. I have uninstalled all motherboard onboard audio devices previously, no Nahimic, no Sonic, and no Atmos software is installed. I had not tried that ASMedia driver yet, thanks for the link. I just installed the latest driver and will let you know if this resolves my issues. I will also look into that Windows Update and remove it if I find it installed. I really do love the card outside of the software issues I've been experiencing, and I hope I can get these fixed. I'll follow up with this thread in a week or two and let yo know if the driver or Windows Update rollback helps out. 

Thanks again. 

i9 13900K | EVGA Z690 DARK | NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | 32gb DDR5 8000 CL36 SK Hynix A-Die | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB | EVGA 1000 P6 | LG C1 55 OLED 4K 120Hz G-Sync
Jb1234
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/22 07:42:11 (permalink)
Yes this sound card is too risky to ur hardware and can be dangerous to ur ears with drivers changing the volume on its own luckily I upgraded to a gigabyte aorus master and I’m much happier . I actually get less background noise with it too and I don’t need to plug my ears when turning my pc off :)

post edited by Jb1234 - 2020/02/24 10:29:15
Jb1234
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/24 10:27:07 (permalink)
Two months in and 1 driver update that changed nothing .

I can see why evga is reknowned for their technical support . It sounds like they need it :D
post edited by Jb1234 - 2020/02/24 10:35:21
EVGA_Lee
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/02/27 11:22:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2020/03/21 09:36:33
Seems the changing/resetting issue might be related to using the card in Hi-Res Mode.  I'll have a beta driver soon that should fix that.

Edit:  Here's a beta driver to test for the sample rate changing after sleep: https://cdn.evga.com/nuaudiopro/EVGA%20NU%20Audio%20Pro_1.0.1.2_WIN10beta.exe
post edited by EVGATech_LeeM - 2020/03/02 12:00:32
EVGA_Lee
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/02 12:01:08 (permalink)
Beta driver posted directly above ^
Talon2020
iCX Member
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/21 09:17:15 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2020/03/21 09:36:27
EVGATech_LeeM

Thanks for the beta driver! I have updated my post because after using the updated ASmedia driver you linked me 99% of my issues were resolved and the card is working great. I will now test the beta driver to resolve the still minor annoyance of the random sample rate changes. Still I am now very happy. Thanks for the help. 

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/21 09:23:30 (permalink)
gaubry
EVGATech_LeeM

Thanks for the beta driver! I have updated my post because after using the updated ASmedia driver you linked me 99% of my issues were resolved and the card is working great. I will now test the beta driver to resolve the still minor annoyance of the random sample rate changes. Still I am now very happy. Thanks for the help. 

not sure why, just released your First post from filter --- after you edited it

Glad it is Working now

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

EVGA_Lee
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/23 02:11:57 (permalink)
gaubry
EVGATech_LeeM

I'd suggest using the latest release driver, as the Sample Rate change fix was included in the latest driver.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/23 02:25:44 (permalink)
Thanks Lee for your assistance in this matter

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Great product, absolutely terrible drivers and software! 2020/03/23 03:34:14 (permalink)
I really like that EVGA is pretty fast on fixing issues when people notice them.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile