EVGA

Graphics Card Warranty Situation

Author
HoffnZ
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/06/07 22:22:34 (permalink)
First of all I just want to mention I'm going to detail my whole situation so sorry if I waffle on abit. I'll preface this by saying I'm from New Zealand so I know things work differently from US & EU support regions. So I had my EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 die on me a couple weeks ago. Its still within its 3 year warranty by a few months so I contacted the retailer I purchased it from and they told me 'yep okay send it in to us and we will test it and replace it if its faulty'. So I pack it and ship it off to the retailers, a few days later it arrives at their store and they test it. They reply back to me saying that they can confirm that the card is faulty, however because the 980Ti is an old model they have no stock available for replacement. Now this came as no surprise to me because obviously the 900 series is old now. So I was expecting to get an equivalent card as a replacement. They then told me because there is no stock all they can do is send it back to EVGA via their supplier to get the replacement, and that this normally takes 4-5 weeks.

So at this point I'm disappointed because as a gamer I've already been out for 2 weeks and am now looking at over a month. So I call the store up and ask the guy what the situation is and why they can't just give me an equivalent replacement. So basically he explains to me that while their store is one of many certified EVGA retailers in NZ they are not a distributor. There is only one official distributor in NZ, a company called PBTech. Therefore because of licencing issues they cannot just send me a replacement, instead they have send it to PBTech who then send it to EVGA internationally. Probably to either the US or Taiwan HQ.Only once EVGA receive it can a replacement be sent to me. The guy went on to say they've had a lot of issues with this and how inefficient it is, but because of the licencing and legal side of things there is really nothing they can do. 

So at this point I'm thinking oh well not much I can do, if this is the process I'll just have to go with it and wait.  The main reason I chose to get an EVGA card (and PSU) is because of their good reputation with RMAs but over the last couple of weeks I've been doing some research and am alittle concerned. Reading these forums and on other sites I've seen that people often get an upgrade with EVGA if their card is no longer in stock, and obviously that would be awesome but EVGA are within their rights to just replace it with the same card. My concern is that from what I've read these replacements are often 2nd hand refurbished cards. So after all that my question is just can that really be the case? Gotta be honest if I wait a month or more just to receive someone elses repaired card I'd find that pretty not cool. Tech prices in NZ are high and I payed a premium price of over a grand for a brand new product at the time. I'd really like for the replacement I get to last a long time.

Anyway sorry this was so long I just wanted to accurately describe it, I'd appreciate any help or advice very much. Cheers

If you need any additional info just let me know.

5 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Graphics Card Warranty Situation 2018/06/07 23:44:04 (permalink)
    Time to cut out the middleman & wait time by sending the card in yourself. Yes, you can receive a re-certified card back from evga.
    tsigel
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Graphics Card Warranty Situation 2018/06/08 01:15:15 (permalink)
    DO NOT TRUST THE MIDDLEMEN!!! They can scam you and u will lose precious time! send the card straight to evga!
    LFaWolf
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1794
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Graphics Card Warranty Situation 2018/06/08 01:24:43 (permalink)
    I highly doubt you will get a brand new 980ti at this point. I doubt they even have 980ti in stock. You most likely to get a refurbished 1070 in a brown box.

HoffnZ
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Graphics Card Warranty Situation 2018/06/08 01:42:29 (permalink)
    Yeah I mean... I would have liked to skip middlemen but on EVGAs own website it says "Please first contact your place of purchase regarding warranty replacement. If they are unable to replace or repair the product, please contact EVGA directly" So I emailed the retailers and the first thing they say is 'yep send it in'. Then only after its been sent do they tell me they can't help me :/
    _JeffP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 652
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Graphics Card Warranty Situation 2018/06/08 21:39:36 (permalink)
    Since the retailer is unable to replace it directly please make sure that the card is registered to your EVGA account then submit a ticket and we will set up a RMA for you. Please include any documentation from the retailer regarding the testing they did to confirm the card is defective as well. 

Everything is security. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile