Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2020/06/03 11:32:36 (permalink)
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/news/google-5-billion-lawsuit

Google has been hit with a $5 billion class-action lawsuit over alleged tracking of people using the company's Chrome browser in incognito mode, which is supposed to protect your privacy. The civil complaint, filed yesterday (June 2) in the San Jose branch of the U.S. District Court of Northern California, alleges that Google monitors user behavior through Google Analytics, widely used by websites, through websites ads run by Google and through smartphone apps, even if incognito mode is activated in Chrome.

The New York Times said the filing argues that Google has been willfully deceiving customers who use incognito mode, but that may be a stretch. The screen you see when you open an incognito tab clearly states that "Your activity might still be visible to websites you visit." However, it also states that Chrome "won't save ... cookies and site data." Google spokesman Jose Castaneda told Reuters that "as we clearly state each time you open a new incognito tab, websites might be able to collect information about your browsing activity."

I think this case will be tough to prove in court but I guess the firm representing the lawsuit thinks it has merit. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Google hit with $5 billion lawsuit for allegedly spying on Chrome users 2020/06/03 13:06:02 (permalink)
    Google could keep this in the Courts for decades ... I'll bet it get thrown out ..... those user agreements are written to protect them

One can only hope that if this is deemed a frivolous lawsuit ... Google gets their legal fees reimbursed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

kelkel1
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 601
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Google hit with $5 billion lawsuit for allegedly spying on Chrome users 2020/06/03 13:23:17 (permalink)
    So glad I gave up on everything Google related years ago.

Z390 DARK, 9900K, 2080 FTW3 ULTRA, GSKILL 4500, 960EVO M.2
    https://valid.x86.fr/52sqs5
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Google hit with $5 billion lawsuit for allegedly spying on Chrome users 2020/06/03 13:41:12 (permalink)
    Sites can easily track people via incognito... the sheer amount of information the browser can directly and indirectly leak to sites only increases as websites grow more complex and sophisticated. 

Have water, will cool. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile