Google Home + Phillips Hue Issues

Author
Tyver
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 176
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2018/12/30 12:19:21 (permalink)
Just seeing if anyone is sharing my experience and maybe have some advice.

So Ive been having issues with Phillips Hue lights being controlled by Google Home. I can control the lights with the Hue app but that is it. Voice command through Google Home does not work and it just says something along the lines of "Sorry, I couldnt reach Phillips Hue" or "Hmmm, I cant seem to connect to Phillips Hue". Everything was working fine until they released the new updated Home App a few months ago, mid October. Ive tried everything I could think of and been in semi constant contact with Google on the issue. They just keep telling me its a known issue and theyre working on it. Its been nearly 3 months and I get told the same thing. Is any one else expereincing this issue? The few people I have talked to say everything is ok with their lights. Is someone else other there experiencing it or am I just a lucky one off here? Google tech supporty just keeps taking my logs, assuring me they are aware of the issue, and tell me it will be fixed soon......but I doubt it at this point. Either something has messed up in my hardware or they just dont care. Ive gone as far as factory resetting everything multiple times and setting it up again. Both for all the Phllips Hue devices and the Goohle Home speakers. I have also reinstalled the Home App. The only thing I havent done is a factory reset on my phone....I doubt that would be of any good anyways but I figured it was worth mentioning. Even if someone thought it might, I cant reset the phone due to it being a company phone and it having company software (basically bloatware) installed on it. Its easy to get reinstalled...if IT wants to do it. 

Oh and a side note, all other devices are able to be controlled through Google Home as normal.

Anyways, any sugguestions are welcome but Im mainly seeing if anyone else is experiencing this issues as well.

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

2 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Google Home + Phillips Hue Issues 2018/12/30 13:20:05 (permalink)

Moved to General Software.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Tyver
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 176
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Google Home + Phillips Hue Issues 2018/12/31 14:09:35 (permalink)
    I did some research over the weekend and spent a couple hours with tech support from Phillips hue. I FINALLY got them working. Lucky me got a one off issue.....like usual. Here is the issue and the solution should anyone else be experiencing the same thing now or in the future. 

The issue arose from the release of the "new" Google Home app (new being relative as the app was updated in October-isj) that was an overhaul of the original.  This caused an error in the Phillips Hue activations for the Google Home devices and Google Home app, the activations that allow the Google Home devices to have access to control the lights. When the new Google Home app was released, these activations were to carry over. There was an error when these activations were carried over, for some reason. This allowed me to link the Phillips Hue lights to the Google Home app but not actually able to control them through any Google Home device or app, even after multiple factor resets and account relinks to home. This is beacuse even though my account was activated in teh app, the individual Google Home devices were not correctly activated to allow control. The same went for the actual control of the lights in the Google Home app, I could only see they were added but not control them. These activations are stored to you account Phillips Hue account. So even if you factory reset the Google Home devices, reinstalling the Google Home app, and/or relink your Phillips Hue account to the Google Home app, the activations will just get pulled from your account where they are stored instead of creating new ones. 
    No Idea why they would set it up that way and not just generate a new code each time the Phillips Hue account is linked. Im sure there is a reason why though.

Here is the solution to the problem.
    1. Go to your Google Home app and delink your Phillips Hue account from the Google Home App.
    1. Account>Settings>Assistant>Home Control>+ (Plus sign in bottom right corner)>Phillips Hue>Unlink
    2. Deactivate bad Phillips Hue activation codes for Google Home devices on Phillips Hue account
      1. This is done at the followiong link https://account.meethue.com/apps
      2. Remove all codes except for known working codes. My lights were working with the Phillips Hue app, so I did not remove that code, the rest were linked to the devices I had. The remaining devices are not easily identified as they all merely said Google and gave the device ID. Due to this, I deactivated all Google Home devices in a catch all move. It should be noted that 3 devices did have Null in the spot where activation codes should have been. I suspect those were the bad one
    3. Relink Phillips Hue account to Google Home app
    1. Account>Settings>Assistant>Home Control>+ (Plus sign in bottom right corner)>Phillips Hue>Unlink
    4. Force close Google Home app and reopen it

At this time, if the lights are set up in the Phillips Hue app, they will appear on the Google Home app and will be able to be controlled through it. Additionally, voice command of the Phillips Hue lights through Google Home devices returns. 

Hopefully this may help someone out there. I waited months to get a resolution and did multiple factory resets to get this simple solution. Not to mention the time spent with both Phillips Hue and Google technical support. This is a one off issue, I was told this never should have happened. At least they have a method to fix it thats simple. I just wish they whole activation code system was either more explained better. I didnt even know I could find them and device codes were not created but carried over. it didnt seem like the staff knew of it either that much because several techs never even mentioned doing this process. Just linking and relink, paired with factory resets.
    post edited by Tyver - 2018/12/31 15:02:36

Just a novice following the dream to be a master

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile