EVGA

General pc gpu questions

Author
K10SS
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/07/04 21:46:24 (permalink)
Hey everyone! I've had a gaming pc for a long time now but had a friend build my first one so Im still new at the hardware and knowledge of the machine itself. So bear with any obvious questions. Let's start with the build:

• Case: corsair 570x
*replaced all stock fans with corsair LL120s with a total of 6. Front 3 are intake, single back is exhaust and top 2 are not in use (need to buy fan pin splitter) but was thinking of making them intake also. Woth the psu drawing power from the bottom of the case
• Motherboard: aorus h370 gaming 3 wifi
• Ram: 16gb(2x8GB) neo forza ddr4 3200
• Evga rtx 2080 black
• Memory:
1x Samsung ssd 860 eco 500gb
1x Inland Professional 240GB SSD
1x 1TB hdd wdc WD10EADS-00M2B0
• CPU: intel i5-8600k at 3.6ghz
• CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with 120mm PWM Fan
• Psu: seasonic 620 watt SS-620GM ACTIVE PFC F3
• Monitor: dell s2716dgr 2k with gsync
I just recently bought the 2080 black as in upgrade from my gtx 970 and am wondering about heat and if it is running properly. First off I know I am short 30 watts of recommended for the gpu so that's my next purchase. And I also know that my gpu is in the second slot. That is because the top one stopped working when I pulled it out during the swap. But I have noticed some things. There has been some screen tearing while exiting out of games and on the desktop, the temp can hit up to 78,79, while playing games on ultra. There has also been a clicking almost every session and I'm pretty sure its coming from the gpu fans. Is there any way to help with the heat of the gpu? Any advice helps

Attached Image(s)

9 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/04 23:30:59 (permalink)
    Normally you would want as many fans pulling in as pushing air out so with 6 fans I would have the front intake and the back and top output. If you take the side panel off the case and run it you should be able to tell if heat is an issue. Also make sure that the cables in the case are tucked away as nice and neat as possible. It's worth watching some youtube videos on it since honestly it's a skill that doesn't take long to learn but after you learn it you will use it on every build you do in the future.

I am a little bit worried as to why a slot isn't working and wondering if resetting the bios might help that. It's also good to make sure all drivers and firmware are the latest as sometimes a bios update can fix issues with the slot not working but it could be the power issue.

Final question that is very important what games are you playing?  The fact you have issues with Windows tearing seems odd though.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

K10SS
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/04 23:51:40 (permalink)
    what about the whole "positive pressure" deal? i was looking at getting a liquid cool cpu fan, maybe even attempt full liquid cool in the future if its not too hard to set up. i did the cables decently neat so that shouldnt be an issue. for the slot the old card was a pain to take out cause the release tab was stuck so i hope that wasnt it. i was playing the new assassins creed and fallout 76 and both would have some screen. and like i said even sitting at the desktop it would happen. heres some more pictures of it 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/05 07:16:00 (permalink)
    K10SS
    what about the whole "positive pressure" deal? i was looking at getting a liquid cool cpu fan, maybe even attempt full liquid cool in the future if its not too hard to set up. i did the cables decently neat so that shouldnt be an issue. for the slot the old card was a pain to take out cause the release tab was stuck so i hope that wasnt it. i was playing the new assassins creed and fallout 76 and both would have some screen. and like i said even sitting at the desktop it would happen. heres some more pictures of it 

positive pressure - More fans blow In than Out is Usually Better at cooling & if using intake screens can keep the inside of your PC cleaner.  Some of the extra CFM will blow out through Any opening in your case

From your OP ---> RE: dead PCIe slot ---> You may have damaged the MB
    You MUST remove the power cord from the wall & wait for all capacitors to discharge before you install or remove Anything from the MB

--->   After unplugging power cord then wait for All LEDs to go off --> Now hold start button 30 seconds to fully discharge PC

Your MB has power as long as it is plugged into a power source --> Even when "Windows is Off" ---> All Mfg have this warning in the MB manual

To control static discharge as a possible way to damage your electronics - where a ground strap Or at a Minamum make contact with the metal on your PC first before touching electronics

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/05 07:36:37 (permalink)
    K10SS
    https://s.amsu.ng/CJ9FSwKCPVJN

What is this ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

K10SS
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/05 12:02:03 (permalink)
    i like the sound of that! i cant stand dust being inside the case. yeah thats what i was worried about.. im hoping thats all that happened. i got the main pcie 16 to work momentarily but then its just a black screen. i would always flip the switch on the psu to off and stay grounded the best i could before doing anything but never fully unplugged it or waited too long before pulling things out...  i guess thats a lesson learned the hard way. that link is some pictures of my setup. it wouldnt let me upload any for some reason so i had to use that from my phone. im still not too sure why the gpu will start to click at higher temps and if that should be taken care of right away
    K10SS
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/05 13:54:50 (permalink)
    I figured out a better way for pictures. here is some better pictures of the setup

Your Link to Photo Book
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pjn2vsokh87e57a/AABxGcHGDWangy3iBc0B8Clja?dl=0

edit by Cool GTX add Links
    post edited by Cool GTX - 2019/07/05 14:38:53
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/05 14:35:51 (permalink)

K10SS
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/06 06:48:54 (permalink)
    Thank you! that will help navigate the forum better
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: General pc gpu questions 2019/07/06 07:53:02 (permalink)
    No problem, Happy to Help

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile