EVGA

Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Smart_Guy
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/03/06 00:48:39 (permalink)
Hello all.

Freezing happens to the video output while the audio is still playing and the video card goes to idle as I can see that in monitoring apps and hear the fan speed going down.

I tried all settings I can think off; underclocking, voltage increase/decrease, power limit increase/decrease, debug mode on Nvidia CP, power/performance behavior in the CP, managing temperature within safe numbers, reverting to a BIOS that uses less clock speed, etc.

This problem is so annoying that sometimes it happens just as soon as I reach intensive GPU points minutes after starting the game and sometimes it just never shows up for hours.

The thing is, I have another 4GB GTX 680 with less factory overclocking and the problem never happens (I suppose I cannot mention the brand here?). Does this mean the EVGA card is faulty?

I got this one second hand to SLI it with the other brand card and it works nicely (some anomalies happen if this helps) but I did test each card separately.

Specs:
i5 3570K at stock settings
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz
Azrock Z77 Extreme 6
Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro Gold PSU
4 HDD's and 1 SSD for the OS
4 120mm fans

The EVGA seems to use more voltage than the other card but not by much (1175mv vs 1125mv respectively). Could the PSU be faulty to lock up with this difference for EVGA?

Please help. Seems to me the card belongs to the basket now :(

31 Replies Related Threads

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 06:55:28 (permalink)
    Sounds temp related. Maybe download MSI Afterburner and set it up with a aggressive fan profile for gaming sessions and a regular profile for net surfing. If you have EVGAs Precision installed, uninstall it and Nvidias Geforce Experience also if that's installed too. Yes, you can mention any brand you like here. :)

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 07:22:54 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply!

Actually, I am using MSI Afterburner. The other card is MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 680 4GB, by the way. Under stress test temp in the EVGA goes to 76C at 30% fan speed and I did a custom fan speed curve that lowers temp to 67C at 55% fan speed. I know that max safe temp for these cards is 95C which it never even comes close to. Temp at idle is 33C at 20% fan speed (and feels like going even further. I just turned off the stress test).

The MSI card gets (used to, I'll explain) to ~80C max and it never causes crashes. It actually doesn't go this high with the custom fan speed curve. It got there when I had it alone before getting the EVGA card. I actually installed Afterburner in an attempt to solve this problem and that's when I set the custom fan curve so that 80C for the MSI is no more.

No matter what aggressive settings I use, the problem still happens. It happened a lot even in the previous BIOS that unlocked the fan speed to 100%. Voltage then was 1.212v.

I just borrowed another PSU from my standby computer (Gigabyte Green something 550W and 40amps) to test if the the Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro Gold is the culprit. Evidences say it is not, but I'm so disparate that I'm doing this. I'll start gaming now to see.
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 09:18:43 (permalink)
    Since your issue doesn't appear to be temp related, and if it's not a power issue, maybe it's driver related...

I would run DDU in safe mode to clean out all your driver files > https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Then install the latest driver from Nvidia and see if that fixes your issue > http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 10:35:28 (permalink)
    Does the same issue occur while testing the card in another pc? If yes, the card is faulty. If no, it could be a problem with your motherboard. Testing the card in another pci-e slot would be a good idea.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 11:19:07 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

I did all kinds of fresh drivers installation including using DDU in Safe Mode. The problem existed in official drivers 388.13 until 388.71. I stopped updating drivers after since they did not provide extra game support I want and since GTX 680 is like seven years old now I thought further drivers wont make a difference unless they provide support for new games I play (or if I get those games in the first place).

I don't have another fully functional and software ready PC (games are annoying to transfer to another PC) so I just borrowed its PSU and installed it on the main PC. I tested it for some time and nothing happened yet but not extensive enough to tell. I'll test for couple more days and see.

Is there a chance it's PSU related?
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 15:50:38 (permalink)
    Most likely not the PSU, if it was the issue would be much more obvious. Depending on what games your playing, if they ate MMO anything or arena PvP/fps etc... it could just be a slow or throttled connection. This can especially happen if you have 2 or 3 other people on your line streaming movies,gaming,browsing etc..... Only other thing it may be if not drivers or temps is if your using auto settings in your bios for the CPU and ram and not manually inputting stable settings.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 23:04:57 (permalink)
    The games I play that gave this problem are Dark Souls 3, Nioh and Gears of War 4. They are the only games I played since getting this card, really. It happens also in clam situations and almost no other players around. Nioh seemed to have the least problem occurrence and only after extended playing time.

I have a fair share of experience in detecting hardware defects but in whole parts only. Motherboard is the most difficult for me to detect and Sajin mentioned this possibility. I did use the card in two different PCI-E slots (the third cannot be used due to spacing) and the same problem happened.

All (at least basic ones) settings in BIOS were tested in fixed and automatic settings and within specs. The RAM voltage for example is set to the number on the sticker (I think it was 1.65v) and the it's an true 1600MHz (as in without XMP). It's new to me that such setting could crash this specific video cards this way but not the other one. I did try different BIOS settings including disabling all features I can find even turbo-boost and speed-step.

I made this thread having in mind thinking out of the box too along side obvious causes. Could it be, like, a damaged VRAM segment or something in the chip that can be taken care of somehow? Is there a professional way to detects such defects?

Dunno, but I have a strange feeling the least expected cause mentioned so far is the culprit; the PSU. It's wishful thinking, but you know, despair

And BTW, cool post count, wmmills!
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/07 00:54:10
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 23:18:37 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
    The thing is, I have another 4GB GTX 680 with less factory overclocking and the problem never happens (I suppose I cannot mention the brand here?). Does this mean the EVGA card is faulty?

I must have missed this when I read your post the first time. This pretty much tells me the evga card is defective.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/06 23:22:23 (permalink)
    Some of the older cards might have a longer warranty. If you properly registered the card when first purchased check the expiration date of the warranty by going to MEMBER at the top of this webpage and choose MY PRODUCTS

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 00:49:32 (permalink)
    A defective card is a good possibility then!

I bought it second hand a while back and didn't get back to the buyer thinking it was an SLI issue that required adjustments (the two cards have different clock speeds and voltages). That was stupid of me. I believe this decides no warranty for me.

Can a high +12v current cause this? The PSU in the setup when I get this problem is rated 82amp for +12v and the one I just installed has it 40amps. The video card requires 38amps. The short test I had yesterday gave no crashes. But that doesn't say anything. I'll keep using it for some more time to see. But then again the other card worked just fine! Oh boy.

Oh, stress tests never caused crashes. I used several for extended times. Games use high VRAM amount (known to get to 3.8GB) while stress tests don't. Could it be the VRAM? I think I should look for a VRAM stress test. I did reduce the VRAM clock to lowest possible in Afterburner in my experiments, BTW.

This is bad!

Come to think of it, can it be fixed if sent to EVGA? If yes, I think I should start making calculations to how much shipment will cost abroad for this heavy card. If it costs so much sending it from here, I might consider it. It's a long way (therefore expensive to ship) from Saudi Arabia to any video card producing  country, I believe.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 01:31:02 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
    I believe this decides no warranty for me.

Can a high +12v current cause this?

Could it be the VRAM?

Come to think of it, can it be fixed if sent to EVGA?

Your card is definitely out of warranty at this point in time. 

First question: Overcurrent to the card could cause all sorts of issues. The card should shutdown though as it has ocp protection. Having a high amp rating on the 12v isn't the issue.
    Second question: Yes, especially since you've been running with it underclocked.
    Third question: No, evga would only replace the card with another card.

post edited by Sajin - 2018/03/07 01:37:37
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 05:32:36 (permalink)
    Okay, thanks.

Just to be clear; I meant if defective VRAM could cause the subject symptom. I only underclocked it because of the symptom. I'll find a way to hog all available VRAM to test this.

Thanks again. I'll report back after some good amount of testing.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 05:46:47 (permalink)
    If your video card is indeed defect EVGA will probably not be able to repair it should it be out of warranty. You can ask EVGA tech support if you wish to have any additional info.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

highiron
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 14:22:00 (permalink)
    Just an idea I thought of during reading this. @Smart_Guy you said you were using drivers 388.13 through 388.71.

I have a EVGA GTX 690 which is basically two 680 GPU's on the same circuit board. I have a post further down detailing some issues I've had with newer drivers from nVidia which are the same drivers posted on the EVGA site. You mentioned the other working card is a MSI brand and the faulting one is from EVGA which is the same brand as mine.

Before you brick your 680, try giving driver 385.69 a go. Make sure that Windows doesn't discreetly install the newer one again after a restart or a few hours of computer operation.
    Any driver after 385.69 has been causing me and others significant problems for the EVGA 690 that don't show up on stress tests. Issues only happen when playing games and then only certain ones. I strongly recommend you give that driver a try with your newly acquired EVGA card to be sure it is not the issue.

Cheers.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 19:14:31 (permalink)
    Thank you for the reply, Highiron.

Did you have a similar problem of video freezing but audio still playing?

I'll give that driver a try, at any rate. If that's the real cause, It would be unfortunate because newer games won't be fully (or at all) supported. But hey, beggar can't be choosers, right? (at least it's gonna work.)

I have an update tho. It's 100% certainly and definitely not a PSU problem. The crash/freeze happened even with the borrowed PSU. At least this is one thing I'm sure of. The main PSU is 1000W and it would be bad if it was faulty.
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/07 19:17:48
    highiron
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 20:31:19 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy

I had worse. I was getting a total computer freeze with the sound going wonky, not looping but playing in slow motion is the best I can describe. After about 20 seconds it would BSOD.
    You can check the GTX 690 WATCHDOG violation thread below yours for more details. I wouldn't worry about about games being supported. In most cases it's just minor tweeks and Shadow Play and things like that. I have never encountered a game where an older driver doesn't work unless the driver is really old. Some newer drivers do more harm than good and can actually cause things to perform worse, such is my case at the moment. It would be accurate to say that any drivers released today are not updated with the 600 series cards in mind so getting the latest drivers may actually cause more problems than it actually fixes if there was anything to fix at all. The 385.69 driver is only about 6 months old so it's not like your going back 5 years or something like that.

Cheers.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/07 23:43:37 (permalink)
    highiron
    Smart_Guy

I had worse. I was getting a total computer freeze with the sound going wonky, not looping but playing in slow motion is the best I can describe. After about 20 seconds it would BSOD.
    You can check the GTX 690 WATCHDOG violation thread below yours for more details. I wouldn't worry about about games being supported. In most cases it's just minor tweeks and Shadow Play and things like that. I have never encountered a game where an older driver doesn't work unless the driver is really old. Some newer drivers do more harm than good and can actually cause things to perform worse, such is my case at the moment. It would be accurate to say that any drivers released today are not updated with the 600 series cards in mind so getting the latest drivers may actually cause more problems than it actually fixes if there was anything to fix at all. The 385.69 driver is only about 6 months old so it's not like your going back 5 years or something like that.

Cheers.

I'm using a multi monitor setup so frozen games' tasks can be easily ended having the Task Manager on a secondary screen. I suppose some crashes probably don't allow anything else to come on top even the Windows logging menu so it could be seen as a full system crash. But that's not important now.

I got this card to SLI it with an existing one. I hope 385.69 at least has an efficient Dark Souls 3 SLI profile. Or can those be ripped from newer drivers and installed on older ones? I'll look that up. I'm waiting for Nioh's and AC: Origin's SLi profiles so yeah.

If it is a driver issue, then this is outrageous. Even the GTX 480 on my other setup works great on latest drivers (at least it still supports DX12).

I didn't know about that dump file. I'll see if I'm getting the same violation.

Edit:
    Ha, looks like this card is considered too old. Registering the product says serial number not found.
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/07 23:52:37
    highiron
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/08 00:29:06 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
     I got this card to SLI it with an existing one. I hope 385.69 at least has an efficient Dark Souls 3 SLI profile.

I believe the game profiles are provided by GeForce Experience or other utilities such as nVidia Inspector and are independent of the drivers. I use nVidia Inspector and it has had SLI profiles for games long before nVidia ever created them themselves if at all. In order to utilize SLI configuration benefits the developer of the game had to program the code to optimize it for it anyway. The drivers may allow them to work better or in some instances worse. Newer drivers do not necessarily = better performance.

Cheers.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/08 01:33:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip. I get it is just a profile with some script that has nothing to do with (or require) something in the core design of drivers then. That's cool.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/08 19:22:31 (permalink)
    No use. Same problem happens with the drivers 385.69.

I remember having similar problem with GTX 480 on another computer that went away with a format. But the older GTX 680 never had the problem so I didn't consider that. I'll make a system image and reset Windows and see or I'll test the card on another computer (setting it up is gonna be troublesome). Not sure if even those are gonna work tho but desperate time, you know. Looks like the card died.
    highiron
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/09 02:06:02 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
    No use. Same problem happens with the drivers 385.69.

Sorry to hear that. It was a simple test so at least you can rule out the drivers.

If the card fails in a different build or a clean Windows install, indeed the card is likely faulty. Best of luck.

Cheers.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/09 02:31:55 (permalink)
    Thanks.

I think even if it's faulty, I'll keep it until the next upgrade. Sometimes it survives for many hours. Right now when it crashes too much I disable SLI and run the working card since it's the main one.

I'm assembling another computer from left overs. I'll see if I can test the card on it.
    batboy88
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/09 04:36:04 (permalink)
    I don't know...it's coolermaster....done some lower end units...but about everyone has...got a couple low end units a corsair and a Apevia and everything seems okay..or something wrong with the card.

7700k/5.2ghz-1.34v/ FTW K/ custom Loop/ Crucial/Micron Ballistix- 3200mhz/ Vega 56 Reference/ Cooler Master GXII Pro 750w

2600x/MSI X470 4.3ghz
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/09 06:31:38 (permalink)
    I confirmed that it is not the PSU after an extensive test with another one. My last resort is next: testing a fresh Windows installation.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/10 04:17:19 (permalink)
    Update:

I tested the card on another computer for +10 hours and no crash (vs 6 max on the main computer). This means something is up with my main computer. If so and the card is fine, the question would be why would the other GTX 680 (the MSI) not get the same problem? Shouldn't both be basically the same? Would the MSI's BIOS flashed on the EVGA card make it treated as one?

There are some details I think I should have provided too; I'm on a multi monitor setup and ever since adding the second card maximized windows on the main screen refuse to receive any input after quitting a full screen game until minimized from the task bar. The multi monitor setup is a main 60" Smart TV and a secondary 27" Samsung monitor. The other test computer was a single monitor setup.

Next test is with turning off multi monitor function since that also requires grafix processing maybe. Others will follow.
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/10 10:20:51
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/10 11:52:47 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
    Update:

I tested the card on another computer for +10 hours and no crash (vs 6 max on the main computer). This means something is up with my main computer. If so and the card is fine, the question would be why would the other GTX 680 (the MSI) not get the same problem? Shouldn't both be basically the same? Would the MSI's BIOS flashed on the EVGA card make it treated as one?

There are some details I think I should have provided too; I'm on a multi monitor setup and ever since adding the second card maximized windows on the main screen refuse to receive any input after quitting a full screen game until minimized from the task bar. The multi monitor setup is a main 60" Smart TV and a secondary 27" Samsung monitor. The other test computer was a single monitor setup.

Next test is with turning off multi monitor function since that also requires grafix processing maybe. Others will follow.

Flashing an EVGA card with another company's video card BIOs is bad juju. Cards can differ slightly via memory type or other reasons.

If you use only one monitor what happens then? So try each monitor one at a time.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/10 13:09:38 (permalink)
    Smart_Guy
    Update:

I tested the card on another computer for +10 hours and no crash (vs 6 max on the main computer). This means something is up with my main computer.

Sounds like it's time to build a new rig.
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/10 19:30:02 (permalink)
    Allow me to give more feedback before considering that.

I returned the card to the main computer and this time it withstood the gaming test for +11 hours (a night sleep). Could the other computer have triggered something? Nah, this is not a sci-fi movie. Or maybe frequently installing the card caused some parts to internally shift???

Let me do more tests pumping the resolution to 4K via DSR in a more GPU intensive game. So far it was Dark Souls 3 and now it's gonna be Gears of War 4. DS3 has serious potential causing this crash but now that it passed I think going to the next step in intensity is the way to go. Maybe this time it survived those +11 hours by chance.
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/10 22:17:42
    Smart_Guy
    Re: Games keep freezing with my GTX 680 Classified. 2018/03/18 00:54:12 (permalink)
    Update:
    Unbelievable! See how much time has passed since I said the problem stopped? Now it suddenly came back and probably worse! I didn't test it on GoW4 tho, I just kept playing DS3, and it was not just 1-2 hours a day. Comparing the two test computers, the main uses a video smoothing software called SVP that utilizes OpenCL. Out of despair, I disabled it and crashes stopped. Could be luck and the card decided to not crash so far. Let's see how it goes.
    post edited by Smart_Guy - 2018/03/18 06:46:09
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile