GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102253
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2019/04/04 10:53:00 (permalink)
GameStop, one of the leading physical retailers for both new and used games, that usually has trade-in programs for games consoles as well, has reported a staggering $673 million loss in its 2018 performance.

All facets of GameStops' business have worsened: new hardware sales, new software sales, and pre-owned (which declined some 13.2% YoY) all lost money for the company, with no bright spot to be seen anywhere in the previously bright sheen of this particular part of the retail games and entertainment market. GameStop spoke of a "new cost savings and profit improvement initiative in place, we will focus our efforts on driving profitability", which justifies the company's positive outlook for 2019.
Personally I believe the company will eventually close its doors

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

11 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/04 12:28:11 (permalink)
    I think people are starting to realize that the Funko pops that GameStop has been relying on are not really “collectible” and are the Beanie Babies of this generation. As for physically media I have found that I like just saving money and not driving to the mall to buy a game.

On a side note I kind of feel the CEO should be offered a salary based on the trade value they offer customers. He can get $2,700,000 in store credit of $12.50 cash per year...

I also was thinking this could be bad news for the console market. My guess is they don’t make much off the consoles and rely on the games to make money. If the game sales go digital then retailers are going to start to cut floor space for consoles as they stop bringing in the same profits.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/04/04 12:50:31

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/04 15:21:44 (permalink)
    GameStop is the Blockbuster Video of computer gaming. They're dead already and just don't know it yet. The sales paradigm has shifted elsewhere.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/04 20:10:42 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    GameStop is the Blockbuster Video of computer gaming. They're dead already and just don't know it yet. The sales paradigm has shifted elsewhere.

But what does that mean for Walmart, Target and other retailers? I haven’t thought of them as computer gaming but more of consoles and Sony, Microsoft and to an extent Nintendo have done a lot to hurt retailers who have devoted major floor space to console gaming.

Of course it’s not like they can give that floor space to CD’s or movies that are also seeming an increase in digital sales.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2019/04/04 20:12:51

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

rossterman2016
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/05 08:31:00 (permalink)
    Diversified businesses without all their eggs in one basket (like walmart) will just scale back console games inventory to only the most popular games just like they did with PC games over the years. I remember 10 years ago their pc games isle was 30ft long. Today, it’s 5th wide with a couple of new popular titles and a bunch of almost freeware programs selling for $5.
    post edited by rossterman2016 - 2019/04/06 07:18:26
    Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/05 08:51:09 (permalink)
    It might cause a minor hiccup in the console side of things, but I don't see anything more than that.

People are finally figuring out that Game Stop deals are not all that good and that some practices are downright shady.   Plus Amazon, WalMart, Target, ect are all hurting GS in the online market as well.  Then there is the fact that you can get most new console games on your console.  Including hardware.  (If you're willing to pay msrp)

Heatware

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/05 09:54:36 (permalink)
    Dukman
    It might cause a minor hiccup in the console side of things, but I don't see anything more than that.

People are finally figuring out that Game Stop deals are not all that good and that some practices are downright shady.   Plus Amazon, WalMart, Target, ect are all hurting GS in the online market as well.  Then there is the fact that you can get most new console games on your console.  Including hardware.  (If you're willing to pay msrp)

The way I look at digital sales vs. going into a GameStop is that I would be paying a gallon of gas and spending an hour of my time. That is going to be at least worth 10% to 15% off the MSRP of a new release or a new controller to me. It also totally makes the value of trading in a used game pointless when you consider the cost to you to go in and sell it back to them.

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/06 23:18:11 (permalink)
    Whats a Gamestop?
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/08 04:30:09 (permalink)
    Well it's about time Sears....I mean Gamestop got its act together!  Welcome to 2019.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/11 02:01:45 (permalink)
    I picture the same people that own the CompUSA, TigerDirect and Circuit City IPs buying them too. 
    cneuhauser
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1334
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/11 11:21:48 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    I picture the same people that own the CompUSA, TigerDirect and Circuit City IPs buying them too. 

Wow... those are names I haven't heard in a LONG time! Brings back memories :-) 

GameStop had plenty of opportunity to change their image, business plan, and beyond. They road that dead horse until the very end. As time goes on media changes, records, cassettes, CDs, etc. Everything is digital these days... I see the software market, going completely digital in the next 10yrs or so. Especially with fiber now being a viable option in many larger cities. No need to go out and buy a hard copy of anything anymore. 

Does put a downer on "Midnight Releases" though... no more hanging out at the store with other fans and talking about games; did that for two games in my lifetime... 1) Burning Crusade expansion, 2) Fallout

Too bad we don't have software and hard ware that make people better drivers...no patch for human stupidity I guess.

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
    ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
    i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
    GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
    2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
    Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
    Windows 10 Ultimate  
    EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
    Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
    Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
    SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
    B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: GameStop Records Worst Losses in Its History, Hinting at a Digital Future 2019/04/11 21:19:49 (permalink)
    Wait, they are still in business? I would never buy a hard copy of ANYTHING anymore. Not music, movies or games... Why would I? I have no reason at all to buy a game from Gamestop. Hopefully, they go out of business, I always hated that company. 

EDIT: If I ever did need a physical anything, Amazon will ship it to the locker down the road at no cost and most of the time next day... Sometimes, the same day! 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile