EVGA

Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2021/05/12 04:06:20 (permalink)
Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

Galactic Civilizations is a staple of the 4X genre, and Stardock is ready to take the franchise to the next level with larger maps, more in-depth systems and brand new mechanics. 

The 4X Genre is based on four concepts,  eXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate. With Galactic Civilizations 4, Stardock plans to offer map sizes that appear to rival Stellaris in scale, offering gamers a bigger playing field to explore, colonise, conquer, and control. 

One of the largest changes to the series is its move to a "clusters" map system, connecting clusters with "Subspace Streams" to create "Maps within Maps". This change allows Galactic Civilizations 4 to offer a much larger scale than its predecessors while allowing the game to remain manageable. 

With Galactic Civilizations 4, the game's AI elements will see a significant overhaul, adding AI characters to player factions to help manage the game's newfound scale. These AI characters will have their own agendas, and players will have to manage their characters to keep their empires afloat. Instead of controlling thousands of planets individually, Galactic Civilizations 4 will allow players to control core worlds within each star cluster, allowing AI characters to control their collection of colony worlds.  

Galactic Civilizations 4 is designed to simplify the management of large-scale empires, with the internal politics and other mechanics adding a new form of complexity into the Galactic Civilizations formula. If players do not manage their empires well, they could easily set a civil war into motion. Control will be a new currency in Galactic Civilizations 4, and that currency must be spent wisely. 

More Scale, More Depth and More Options

Stardock plans to release Galactic Civilizations 4 with new civilizations, a larger technology tree and enhancements to many of the series' popular features. Players will have more ship design options, a revamped combat system, new diplomacy options and new planetary improvements. 

Unlike Galactic Civilizations 3, its sequel will not feature separate sandbox and campaign modes, as Stardock will instead be adding a new "Missions" feature to the game's sandbox campaigns. These story elements are designed to add extra flavour to every campaign, adding new narratives to drive every game in new directions. 

Below are some of Galactic Civilization's core features;

- Turn-based
- Tile based (hexes) based movement
- Ship design
- Strong-AI for opponents
- Deep gameplay customization
- Free-form movement (as opposed to starlanes)
- Player controlled cultural evolution (are you good, evil or a shade of gray?)
- Planetary invasion requires actually invading a planet
- Mixture of deep lore (a handful of carefully crafted civilizations and histories) mixed with game-to-game generation of new lore and species
- Big technology trees

With Galactic Civilizations 4 bring such large changes to the series, Stardock has decided to release the game in Alpha this summer to allow the series' fanbase to help influence the game's development. At this time, Galactic Civilizations 4 has no firm release date. Right now, Stardock has not committed to a PC storefront for Galactic Civilizations' launch. 

I personally believe this game won't launch until next year. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

7 Replies Related Threads

sorbert
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 221
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/05/12 04:35:07 (permalink)
    Cant wait loved 2,  3 had some growing pains on me but this sounds good

Galactic Civilization 4 Website
    post edited by sorbert - 2021/05/12 04:41:03

Ryzen 5800x3d, 32gb 3200 ddr4, kraken x62, gigabyte x370 k7, aorus master 3080, Evga 850 p2, Samsung 970 evo plus 2tb, Crucial MX300 1 TB, 4x wd blue m2 ssd on a converter m2 to sata
    Oldie But Good: Cooler Master 942 HAF X, Xeon X5690, Swiftech H220X, EVGA x58 FTW3 ,24gb samsung ecc 1333 , EVGA GTX 780 ftw acx, Corsair ax850, Samsung 840 pro 256, 120gb Corsair Force, 1tb wd Black 64mb, Win 10 

Ariyu Grey
    • Total Posts : 100
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/05/20 10:18:08 (permalink)
    Sounds great, I think there are far too few alternatives in this segment anyway
    OhmicFutility
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/05/27 11:21:35 (permalink)
    Having played all galactic civilization games to date, all of these seem like fantastic features and I look forward to seeing their implementation. 
    My issue with these games (and 4k games in general) is that I can never seem to convince any of my friends to keep playing for the entirety of the game.  The time commitment is just too excessive. Don’t get me wrong, these can be extremely fun when playing alone… but as I have gotten older the social cost of solo play has gotten prohibitive given my gaming time is overall limited.
    jgklingjgkling
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/06/01 07:47:42 (permalink)
    Aw man nice. Hope they get it right.
    Lichachron
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/06/01 09:46:57 (permalink)
    Looks interesting! I hope the visuals to be better than the previous one.

Psst? Buying EVGA? Use this code at checkout for up to 10% off your purchase: YH8K2O9I9WQQ8ZM

JaylewAF11
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/06/01 09:54:27 (permalink)
    Definitely interested. I tried 3 for a bit and enjoyed it, but the combat seemed a bit unsatisfying. I wished you had more control over your ships. Kind of like Total War game where it was cross between real time and turn based. But that's probably so different it wouldn't real by a Gal Civ game anymore.
    Star_gazer
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Galactic Civilizations 4 aims to bring a grand scale to the space strategy series 2021/06/09 20:50:36 (permalink)
    I love normal Civ, I might have to give one of these games a try
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile