EVGA

Hot!GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
brendanb02
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22) 2018/12/27 07:21:49 (permalink)
ok, i already have 2 irons and a bit of experience but i have tried soldering pcbs before and run into the issue of just heating up the whole pcb becase there is a sheet of copper running through the whole thing.
Should i heat the ceramic capacitors on the other side of the card as well, can those be removed?
LastDawn97
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22) 2020/12/08 10:16:11 (permalink)
Five and a half year old GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 here - exactly the same MOSFET which burnt out on th3joker's and CurboSS's card failed on mine too. Damage looks almost identical too. Extended warranty ended in February. There was a period when it was not in use so it reached about a 5 year lifespan (no overclocking or mining).

GPU crashed under gaming load (lights out completely, not even a bluescreen). The card smalled burned, but it was hot (at that moment) and dusty so I cleaned the card. I wasn't sure about the origin of the smell, checked and testet the other components seperately before I plugged it in again. It was running fine again for about 2 weeks (?) before it crashed again. Motherboard shows error code when the card is plugged in now, it doesn't even make it through the POST.
I recently took off the cooler for the first time, checked for damaged parts which brought me here. I'll probably try to remove the broken MOSFET - not sure I'm going to replace it. Let's hope I'll be able to extend its lifespan by at least a few months so the 3060 Ti won't be that overpriced any more. I'll post updates when I know more.
YugiSatan
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22) 2021/07/06 11:32:18 (permalink)
LastDawn97
Five and a half year old GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 here - exactly the same MOSFET which burnt out on th3joker's and CurboSS's card failed on mine too. Damage looks almost identical too. Extended warranty ended in February. There was a period when it was not in use so it reached about a 5 year lifespan (no overclocking or mining).

GPU crashed under gaming load (lights out completely, not even a bluescreen). The card smalled burned, but it was hot (at that moment) and dusty so I cleaned the card. I wasn't sure about the origin of the smell, checked and testet the other components seperately before I plugged it in again. It was running fine again for about 2 weeks (?) before it crashed again. Motherboard shows error code when the card is plugged in now, it doesn't even make it through the POST.
I recently took off the cooler for the first time, checked for damaged parts which brought me here. I'll probably try to remove the broken MOSFET - not sure I'm going to replace it. Let's hope I'll be able to extend its lifespan by at least a few months so the 3060 Ti won't be that overpriced any more. I'll post updates when I know more.

Any update on what you ended up doing? The Q22 on my 760 SC has a bubble in it, which is what I believe caused it to just suddenly stop booting two years ago and only now do i have the patience to actually fix it. The rest of the board seems to look pretty normal, so don't know if i should only remove it and see if it boots without it, or to replace it.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 18735
  • Ribbons : 215
Re: GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22) 2021/07/06 12:35:08 (permalink)
YugiSatan
The rest of the board seems to look pretty normal, so don't know if i should only remove it and see if it boots without it, or to replace it.

Replace it, for sure.
LastDawn97
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: GTX 970 FTW Mosfet burnt out (Q22) 2021/08/29 09:40:43 (permalink)
YugiSatan
Any update on what you ended up doing?

I carefully mechanically removed the MOSFET (crushing the remains of the part and cutting of the legs) but the card is dead. I think the card got fried when it failed the second time - 12 volts to the gpu die. :(
Now I'm in the EVGA product queue, this time I'm gonna buy a 10 year warranty. Not that much more expensive than 5 year. That way I should be safe for the next 6-7 years.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile