EVGA

GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance.

Author
oblivionjosh
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/05/26 07:37:54 (permalink)
Hi there, I have been having this issue for a few months now and it is getting extremely annoying... I am noticing reduced performance games, I first noticed the issue in Gears 5, and then I noticed it happening in Red Dead Redemption 2. This happens in a couple of games, but some other games seem to be working perfectly with no issue. 

After restarting the game or my system (sometimes a couple of complete system restarts are required) and the performance goes back to normal... Originally I though it was a driver issue, but I have tried multiple driver versions, all the way back to January. I am currently using 466.47 and Windows 10 21H1. Each time I make sure to wipe my previous drivers with "Display Driver Uninstaller". 

I ran GPU-Z to check if the GPU was being utilised properly, each time before and after restarting. My GPU is being fully utilised 99% load and the GPU Clocks and Memory Clocks are the exact same. No differences yet the performance is 15-20fps higher after restarting the game a couple of times. Never seen anything like this. Very strange... I did however notice that the power consumption is higher after restarting the game for both the board and the GPU, which could explain the increased performance... I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue, but it still occurs and sometimes multiple game reboots/system reboots are required to fix it.

https://imgur.com/a/JPqSO7U - Photo of GPU-Z and FPS counter before and after restarting Red Dead. GPU load and clocks remain the same, but the GPU power draw increases along with the fps from 75 to 88.

(Extra info/Some of the things I have tried)
This is a new system I built in February, the only part carried over was the GPU.
I had this issue before the Windows update KB5001330 broke gaming performance.
  • Max performance power plan in Windows and Link State Power Management is disabled. 
  • Set game to prefer maximum performance in Nvidia Control panel. 
  • Fast Start-up is disabled in Windows and in BIOS. 
  • Tried multiple driver versions all the way back to January. 
  • Wiped drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller. 
  • Moving games to another SSD. 
  • Resetting BIOS to default factory settings and updating BIOS to newest stable version. 
  • Forcing all PCIe sots to run in Gen 3. 
  • Using Debug mode in Nvidia control panel to set GPU clocks to factory default. 
  • Reseating the GPU and power connectors, because why not. 
  • GPU and CPU load is at 0-1% on desktop, no other unnecessary applications are running. 
  • Disconnecting my second display. 
  • Tried GPU in different PCIe slot. 
  • Tried using different 8 pin power cables to GPU. 
  • I am using two separate power cables for the GPU. 
  • Switching between master/slave bios on GPU.
  • All system temps are good. 
  • Disabling G-Sync and lowering refresh rate to 60Hz. 
  • Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off. 
  • Enabling MSI mode for the GPU.

(System Specs)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (21H1)
  • AMD 5950X
  • Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX
  • Asus STRIX X-570 E
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3733MHz CL16
  • EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3
  • Corsair AX 1000W
  • Sound Blaster AE-5
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB - OS Drive
  • Crucial MX500 2TB
  • Samsung Odyssey G7 27" 240Hz - Primary display
  • ASUS VX239H - 2nd display

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
post edited by oblivionjosh - 2021/05/27 16:12:29

13 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/05/26 22:13:26 (permalink)
    You tried the card in another pci-e slot? You using two separate pci-e cables to power the card? Have you tried moving one of the affected games to another hdd/ssd to see if that makes a difference at all? Have you tried reapplying the thermal paste on your gpu?
    wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/05/27 07:21:57 (permalink)
    "I had this issue before the Windows update KB5001330 broke gaming performance."  Thats interesting, it may be a Win10 update. Do you have windows update shutdown and its branch/support services also? Being its only certain games it may be something conflicting with a common module with them all. Thats great that you did DDU to uninstall your nvidia drivers but you only went half way, you need to install your drivers with this: https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/   Did you uninstall Cortana and the rest of the Winbloat? Sounds like your hardware is fine and this is purely a software conflict somewhere.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    oblivionjosh
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/05/27 09:41:25 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You tried the card in another pci-e slot? You using two separate pci-e cables to power the card? Have you tried moving one of the affected games to another hdd/ssd to see if that makes a difference at all? Have you tried reapplying the thermal paste on your gpu?

Yeah I have two separate cables powering the GPU, I have tried it in both slots on the motherboard and I have moved the games to my other SSD.
    I recently replaced the thermal paste on my GPU with MX-4 and replaced the thermal pads a few weeks ago (I done this after encountering the issue).
    All my system temps seem fine.

Such a strange issue... Seems like it is software related, because just restarting the application without a reboot can sometimes fix the issue.
    I wonder what is actually happening because each time the GPU load/clocks/temps are the same but the frame rate is higher along with the power draw...
    post edited by oblivionjosh - 2021/05/27 09:42:30
    oblivionjosh
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/05/27 09:51:07 (permalink)
    wmmills
    "I had this issue before the Windows update KB5001330 broke gaming performance."  Thats interesting, it may be a Win10 update. Do you have windows update shutdown and its branch/support services also? Being its only certain games it may be something conflicting with a common module with them all. Thats great that you did DDU to uninstall your nvidia drivers but you only went half way, you need to install your drivers with this: https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/   Did you uninstall Cortana and the rest of the Winbloat? Sounds like your hardware is fine and this is purely a software conflict somewhere.

Now to think of it, I first noticed this issue when playing the "Hivebusters" expansion for Gears 5 which I played in February, so I've actually had this issue for almost 3 months...
    I have never heard on this "nvcleanstall", but I'll give it a go after using DDU again and report back.

If nothing else fixes it. I might just have to wipe windows, it definitely seems like a software issue as it doesn't happen in every game and a simple game restart can sometimes fix it.
    post edited by oblivionjosh - 2021/05/27 09:54:42
    oblivionjosh
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/05/27 13:51:57 (permalink)
    I have included a more detailed view of GPU-Z
    https://imgur.com/a/NeznZTG

As you can see, when the issue occurs. The power consumption drops by 20-50w, the Video Engine load and Memory Controller load also drop, but clocks and GPU load remain the same.
    post edited by oblivionjosh - 2021/05/27 13:53:01
    jschu995
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/01 16:38:03 (permalink)
    Make sure it’s not your psu
    mrpnguin8
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/01 20:38:32 (permalink)
    Hm. That is odd
    tjzevga
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/05 09:21:44 (permalink)
    It may be PSU issue, mb pci-e slot issue, CPU issue. Change PSU to try first.
    restive81
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/05 10:39:55 (permalink)
    Try the card in different computer and check if the problem occurs. Then you can get more info if the problem is with your cars or something else in your system.
    atouriani
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/10 10:33:59 (permalink)
    I have a 1080Ti Hydro Copper and after reading your post, I believe I might have the same problem. So in order to trouble shoot, I ran a Furmark test. With the test I was able to monitor the power consumption %, it would reach 120%TDP and hover between 110-120. 
    So I would suggest running a stress test to see what kind of PC % you get?
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/10 12:27:54 (permalink)
    oblivionjosh
    Hi there, I have been having this issue for a few months now and it is getting extremely annoying... I am noticing reduced performance games, I first noticed the issue in Gears 5, and then I noticed it happening in Red Dead Redemption 2. This happens in a couple of games, but some other games seem to be working perfectly with no issue. 

After restarting the game or my system (sometimes a couple of complete system restarts are required) and the performance goes back to normal... Originally I though it was a driver issue, but I have tried multiple driver versions, all the way back to January. I am currently using 466.47 and Windows 10 21H1. Each time I make sure to wipe my previous drivers with "Display Driver Uninstaller". 

I ran GPU-Z to check if the GPU was being utilised properly, each time before and after restarting. My GPU is being fully utilised 99% load and the GPU Clocks and Memory Clocks are the exact same. No differences yet the performance is 15-20fps higher after restarting the game a couple of times. Never seen anything like this. Very strange... I did however notice that the power consumption is higher after restarting the game for both the board and the GPU, which could explain the increased performance... I have tried everything I can think of to resolve this issue, but it still occurs and sometimes multiple game reboots/system reboots are required to fix it.

https://imgur.com/a/JPqSO7U - Photo of GPU-Z and FPS counter before and after restarting Red Dead. GPU load and clocks remain the same, but the GPU power draw increases along with the fps from 75 to 88.

(Extra info/Some of the things I have tried)
    This is a new system I built in February, the only part carried over was the GPU.
    I had this issue before the Windows update KB5001330 broke gaming performance.
    • Max performance power plan in Windows and Link State Power Management is disabled. 
    • Resetting BIOS to default factory settings and updating BIOS to newest stable version. 
    • Using Debug mode in Nvidia control panel to set GPU clocks to factory default. 
    • GPU and CPU load is at 0-1% on desktop, no other unnecessary applications are running. 
    • Tried GPU in different PCIe slot. 
    • Tried using different 8 pin power cables to GPU. 
    • All system temps are good. 
    • Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off. 

(System Specs)
    • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (21H1)
    • AMD 5950X
    • Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX
    • Asus STRIX X-570 E
    • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3733MHz CL16
    • EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3
    • Corsair AX 1000W
    • Sound Blaster AE-5
    • Samsung 980 Pro 1TB - OS Drive
    • Crucial MX500 2TB
    • Samsung Odyssey G7 27" 240Hz - Primary display
    • ASUS VX239H - 2nd display

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

I am not sure if this is related, but I've noticed that UWP games do not appear to respect the Nvidia settings for power preference. For example, with FS2020, setting Adaptive or Prefer Max Performance appears to have zero effects on clock behavior.  Games that are not UWP, do show clock behavior changes with this setting.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

oblivionjosh
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/24 12:26:31 (permalink)
    I recently did a complete wipe and fresh install of my OS, still getting this issue. I purchased Days Gone today and I am having the same problem in that game too.
    the difference in GPU's "Board Power Draw" can be almost 100w after rebooting (From 200w to almost 300w)... I have a feeling it might be some power saving setting in the BIOS that I have missed.

I'm losing my mind trying to fix this...

An update to the things I have tried.
    • Did a complete wipe and fresh install of my OS.
    • Updated BIOS to 4002.
    • Updated GPU Drivers to 471.11.
    • Tried GPU in different PCIe slot.
    • Purchased a Corsair individually sleeved cable kit and replaced all of the power cables.
    • All system temps are great.
    • Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling on/off.
    post edited by oblivionjosh - 2021/06/24 12:34:33
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49164
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1080 Ti Power Consumption Drop - Causing reduced performance. 2021/06/24 22:05:33 (permalink)
    Time to test the card in a different computer. If the issue follows the card the card will need to be rma'd if still under warranty.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile