GTX 1080 TI SC2 iCX Watercooling

Author
Febaxmann
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/12/30 17:08:04 (permalink)
Hi guys.

So, I'm thinking of watercooling my 1080 Ti SC2 iCX card (this is just a thought, I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon), but I live on Brazil and access to waterblocks are... very difficult. Making matters worse, the blocks for this specific model is hard to find, I only finded one from EK (wich I will have to importing from Germany, can't do, to much expensive) and the other one that I find that is compatible is one that Evga did, but is virtually impossible to find.

The current temps are not that much bad, GPU temps tends to flutuacting between 68 ºC ~ 74ºC , Mem temps (81 ºC max) and VRM (80 ºC max). The fan speed to keep this temps, ramp up to 3000 RPM and settle at 2700 RPM; I think the heatsink are very dusty, I will throw some air on it to clean up and see if it improve.

Nonetheless, I still thinking in water cooling (in the future) and I narrow down two simple methods that's affordable and easy to apply here on Brazil:

1 - Use the Kraken G12 and a 140mm IO. This will be a good enough solution? My big concern is if the 140mm IO will cool the GPU bellow the stock air cooler and if this solution will keep the VRM and MEM temps under control.

2 - I saw some youtubers using custom solutions, like using a CPU block (GamerNexus and JayztwoCents did it). The CPU blocks are not that hard to got here, but how to cool down the MEM and VRM? JayztwoCents used a custom motherboard VRM block, I can't find such thing here. I was thiking on trying to adapt some cheap blocks for the VRM (I will post a picture bellow), but I can't be sure that those cheap blocks maded of alluminum will not leak; wich is kind scary.

3 - Is the PCB of this card is the same of the Nvidia reference card? Blocks for the Nvidia Reference cards will be compatible with this model? We don't have that many blocks here, but if the pcb is the same of the reference model, maybe I can find some resonable good cheap blocks.

Anyway, this is just a thought; I'm not planning on doing this anytime soon. If it's too much complicated or expensive I don't see the point on doing, I just wanted to hear some opinions on besides the videos I saw on youtube (and I saw a fair share of them, but is nice to get some more opinions). No need to tracked this thread guys, I just want to hear some opinions if it's worthly and if it's relative easy to do.

Thanks o/.

Dimensions of the Short one : 40 x 40 x 12mm
Dimensions of the big one :  40*80*12mm

3 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 1080 TI SC2 iCX Watercooling 2019/12/30 17:35:56 (permalink)
    Moving to the correct section of the Forums - Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking

Home » All Forums » [Computer Hardware/Software] » Overclocking, Cooling and Benchmarking

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GTX 1080 TI SC2 iCX Watercooling 2019/12/30 17:39:53 (permalink)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Febaxmann
    • Total Posts : 4
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTX 1080 TI SC2 iCX Watercooling 2019/12/31 04:04:16 (permalink)
    Sorry for posting on the wrong section.

Omg, you are right, I forgot that (mixing metals). And I did not knew about the guides from Ek, I gonna take a look on them.

Thanks.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile