GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions

Author
thedude4bies
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/05/16 13:57:35 (permalink)
Hey there,

I'm super stoked on my first ever pc build featuring the card in title.  I've got everything set up and have been tinkering with PXOC to learn how it works and how to find a stable overclock.  I've upped the gpu clock offset by 100mhz and the same for memory and ran some benchmarks and things were stable (should be because that is pretty mild, right?).  

So then I fired up Crysis (running 3440x1440 with high settings on an ultra wide) and started hearing a loud squealing coming from the card.  I reset things to default in PXOC and made adjustments to limit frame rates to 100 and now the card still makes noise but not nearly as loud or high pitched.  

First question:  I realize pc components make noise but what is an acceptable/normal for these cards?  Right now it's loud enough that fans do not drown it out but it's not an issue if I crank up the volume or throw on headphones.  

Second question:  After I returned the card to stock levels and reset the machine, I checked in the xoc app that settings were applied and it was showing 1607mhz gpu clock and 4004 memory clock so I closed out of the application again.  Then I ran heaven benchmark (at what I assumed were stock levels) and it was showing the gpu clock at 1911mhz (higher than I OC'd to which is odd)... so I think "what the heck is going on here?".  I open up HWmonitor and it is showing gpu clock at 1835mhz.  I re-open xoc and it is now showing 1835mhz.  It returned to 1607mhz in xoc as soon as I closed unigine heaven.  So what is going on here?

Thanks for any comments or advice!

8 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 14:02:27 (permalink)
    https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59535

Second question: Sounds like normal gpu boost 3.0 operation. and...

Here are the top causes of why a GPU would run at full clocks at idle...

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: Enable mutil display power saver using nvidia inspector.
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: Scan computer using malwarebytes.
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: Perform a clean boot of windows.
    #4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
    #5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
    #6 K-Boost is enabled inside Precision X. Fix: Disable K-Boost.
    #7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)
    dlbsyst
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 311
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 14:25:27 (permalink)
    Sajin, Why do you recommend geforce experience be uninstalled?
    thedude4bies
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 14:25:40 (permalink)
    Sajin

#1 You're running multiple monitors. Fix: 
    #2 Your machine has a virus. Fix: 
    #3 One or more programs running in the background are using your GPU. Fix: 
    #4 Power management mode inside the nvidia control panel is set to prefer maximum performance. Fix: Set power management mode to adaptive then reboot your computer.
    #5 Running a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 144Hz. Fix: Change refresh rate to 120Hz.
    #7 Shadowplay is enabled inside geforce experience. Fix: Disable shadowplay inside geforce experience OR completely uninstall geforce experience from your machine (highly recommended)

Thanks.  I understand the first link you posted but what I do not understand is what others with this card experience or at what point it is unacceptable and it should be RMA'd.  Do you have this card?  

Boost 3.0... thanks, just read up on it. Pretty neat. It idles fine at 1607mhz so I'm not worried about any of 7 points you outlined but I will keep that in my back pocket in case it ever does pop up.  So thank you for that information! I hope you didn't jinx me :)  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 14:30:50 (permalink)
    dlbsyst

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2153182

thedude4bies
    Sajin

Thanks.  I understand the first link you posted but what I do not understand is what others with this card experience or at what point it is unacceptable and it should be RMA'd.  Do you have this card?  

Boost 3.0... thanks, just read up on it. Pretty neat. It idles fine at 1607mhz so I'm not worried about any of 7 points you outlined but I will keep that in my back pocket in case it ever does pop up.  So thank you for that information! I hope you didn't jinx me :)  

No, I don't have the card. The card should be idling at 139 mhz instead of 1607.
    thedude4bies
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 14:36:55 (permalink)
    Sajin
    dlbsyst

thedude4bies
    Sajin

No, I don't have the card. The card should be idling at 139 mhz instead of 1607.

Ah, yes.  Good point.  It does in fact idle around there in HWmonitor but XOC shows 1607 a gpu clock after I close heaven.  

Even though you do not have the card you seem to know a lot so I'll ask if you have an idea of how to describe normal or acceptable levels of whine vs not.  I'm within return period so I should decide soon.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/05/16 16:04:26 (permalink)
    Either you can deal with the whine or you can't.

Fixes for coil whine...

#1 Put glue on the noisy coils. Only works if coils are exposed. Will void warranty if done.
    #2 Run ati tool overnight to burn the card in. Click show 3d view to start ati render test.
    #3 Increase/decrease voltage on the card.
    #4 Use frame rate limiter software to limit fps in game to reduce whine.
    #5 Try a different psu.
    #6 Try a different motherboard.
    #7 RMA the card.
    thedude4bies
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/06/11 08:14:56 (permalink)
    As an update, exchanged the card as it was within return period and the replacement card is much better.  
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent questions 2018/06/11 18:05:08 (permalink)

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile