GPUs aren’t essential

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 12:47:43 (permalink)
What's the rush? It's not like the 3080 is going anywhere anytime soon. If you are frantically clicking refresh on a website JUST to buy a product... Well, you probably have bigger problems than trying to buy a video card.
SpriteCup1
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 360
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 12:56:53 (permalink)
chrisdglong
What's the rush? It's not like the 3080 is going anywhere anytime soon. If you are frantically clicking refresh on a website JUST to buy a product... Well, you probably have bigger problems than trying to buy a video card.

Or I'm bored, my bills are paid for the month, and it's something extra to do while I game on my main monitor.

By the way, I'm not saying any of you are wrong about it being non-essential. It's not imperative that I upgrade, but it would be nice and I have the money in the bank waiting to give to the fine men and women at EVGA. lol

In the dark, I can feel You in my sleep.. In Your arms I feel You breathe in to me. Forever hold this heart that I will give to You, Forever I will live for You!
ThaWhistle
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 13:33:17 (permalink)
Systom
ThaWhistle
Systom
ThaWhistle
In lieu of playing games, I've taken to just basking in the saltiness of all the entitled manchildren who somehow expected they'd get a highly anticipated piece of hardware on day one in a market that is beyond desperate for supply which is constrained because of a global pandemic and demand that has been at record highs for 6 months straight because of that same pandemic. People new 30xx was coming and 20xxs were still selling as fast as they could make them. What, other than a total disregard of reality, or thinking they were True Gamer #1 God-King of the PC Master Race and Heir of All the Joociest of Circuits, would compel anyone to think they would without a shadow of a doubt be getting a card on release day is beyond me. I don't even think people were this mad when toilet paper was impossible to find...

Also kudos to every customer facing person in the industry for maintaining their cool and not just outright laughing at us all.

You may not have heard that this happened because of bots. I can't speak on behalf of EVERYONE, but I'm thinking that's the REAL reason why people are pissed because instead of having little chance, we had NO chance.

I personally have NO PROBLEM waiting at all, and I've been doing this for years at all launches and sometimes I get lucky, and sometimes I don't. Playing the supply and demand game at launch and "losing" man to man? NO PROBLEM, I'd support what you're saying 100% if people were crying because of just that. But that's not the case here at all. Though true, bots/automation processes have been around for a long time now, it was NEVER this BAD. I think that's what some people are failing to understand here and the PROOF is definitely in the pudding, look around.

Why are the anti's ignoring that blatant fact and just trying to accept that as being normal?

Yes, I've seen the conspiracies and screeching about bots, people have been claiming the scalper bot apocalypse was nigh since before we even had an announcement of an announcement for the 30xxs. There's very little evidence to show there was really a significant amount of bot activity, and until someone posts a picture of a pallet of 3080s, there's even less to suggest these were real orders and that they are even going to be fulfilled. The majority of the orders so far almost definitely went to legitimate people, but people who successfully ordered a card are without question going to be less vocal than those who thought they were somehow destined to be getting a card in launch day.

There's a lot of evidence all over twitter...where's your evidence of the majority of these going to legitimate people when you can blatantly see that most people commenting online got nada? Very few got anything at all, particularly the FE model. You think there would be massive outrage otherwise? It's because people are speaking up about this and demanding change that we may not see someone posting a photo online with a pallet of 3080s.

I got some and news for you if you think screenshots of numbers on Twitter are an infallible source of information, especially when posted in the course of plugging bot software. Until someone can actually quantify the number of cards bought by bots, vs those available for purchase, all we have to go on are rough estimates of availability to retailers and system builders. Even if bots account for just a fraction of scalpers, the guesstimates made elsewhere by tech industry people about production quantity relative to legitimate listings on eBay does not at all support some sort of bot dominated buying spree. A handful of screenshots(which prove a few hundred sold to bots at best), an unending mob of manchildren screeching about bots and some people trying to boost the profile of their buying scripts(which, again, can have their success easily be overstated, and photoshopping numbers on an email is absolute child's play) really does not constitute evidence of some supreme screwing over of customers. Most people were never going to get anything based on estimates that launch day inventory is less than 90% of the estimated volume that will be available between now and the end of the year. Most people didn't get screwed by bots but by their unrealistic expectations of getting a card on release day when all signs pointed to a very tight supply at day 1 on a very highly anticipated and hyped product.
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 14:21:38 (permalink)
USALion
chrisdglong

Or I'm bored, my bills are paid for the month, and it's something extra to do while I game on my main monitor.

By the way, I'm not saying any of you are wrong about it being non-essential. It's not imperative that I upgrade, but it would be nice and I have the money in the bank waiting to give to the fine men and women at EVGA. lol

I suppose if that's your priority... To each his own.
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 15:01:54 (permalink)

Not essential? That's incorrect. My doctor told me if I don't get a 3080 by December I'll come down with * Sotcs syndrome

* Sleeping on the couch syndrome.  Develops from constantly whining to wife about overheating and never being about to hit 140fps on my Super in new games
post edited by yaggaz - 2020/09/20 15:14:45

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
yaggaz
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1509
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 15:09:40 (permalink)
Systom
ThaWhistle
In lieu of playing games, I've taken to just basking in the saltiness of all the entitled manchildren who somehow expected they'd get a highly anticipated piece of hardware on day one in a market that is beyond desperate for supply which is constrained because of a global pandemic and demand that has been at record highs for 6 months straight because of that same pandemic. People new 30xx was coming and 20xxs were still selling as fast as they could make them. What, other than a total disregard of reality, or thinking they were True Gamer #1 God-King of the PC Master Race and Heir of All the Joociest of Circuits, would compel anyone to think they would without a shadow of a doubt be getting a card on release day is beyond me. I don't even think people were this mad when toilet paper was impossible to find...

Also kudos to every customer facing person in the industry for maintaining their cool and not just outright laughing at us all.

You may not have heard that this happened because of bots. I can't speak on behalf of EVERYONE, but I'm thinking that's the REAL reason why people are pissed because instead of having little chance, we had NO chance.

I personally have NO PROBLEM waiting at all, and I've been doing this for years at all launches and sometimes I get lucky, and sometimes I don't. Playing the supply and demand game at launch and "losing" man to man? NO PROBLEM, I'd support what you're saying 100% if people were crying because of just that. But that's not the case here at all. Though true, bots/automation processes have been around for a long time now, it was NEVER this BAD. I think that's what some people are failing to understand here and the PROOF is definitely in the pudding, look around.

Why are the anti's ignoring that blatant fact and just trying to accept that as being normal?

Agreed %100.  Thanks for overturning his strawman argument.

||  CPU: Intel 10700k   ||  GPU:  evga 3080 XC3 Ultra Hybrid ||  MB: Gigabyte z490 UD AC  || RAM: 2 x 16GB 3000mhz DDR4 SDRAM  || Samsung EVO 970 Plus 2TB   ||    Dell S2417DG Monitor    ||  Soundblaster AE-7  ||  Phanteks p400a Case  ||   be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler  ||  Corsair AX1600i PSU  ||  9 Fans total in system ||
comrade
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1316
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 19:57:32 (permalink)
From what I have been reading on several different sites, the impossibility of obtaining one of these new cards is not due entirely to the operation of 'bots' or anything like that.  It appears that the supply of the 3000 series cards has been intentionally severely restricted!  The few cards that were actually available are part of a strategy of Nvidia to develop a demand for the cards, but not at the appealing prices that were initially published.

The cards available seem to be limited in the amount of memory, and the chips themselves are really a rather 'low-binned' lot that were intended to be sold quickly, at a small profit, but really to create a demand for later cards that will have more memory and better chips..., but also a much higher price.  The posts in this this and other forums show that this is working.  People are willing to pay several times the price of the current cards in order to obtain something..., anything new.

The 2000 series cards were priced much higher and sales were not what Nvidia had hoped for.  A while ago, they advised their partners to sell off their supplies of the 2000 series cards, at whatever they could get for them, to eliminate options for those now willing to pay way too much for what the new cards are delivering.  The supply will now increase..., but at a rate that will keep the prices high, although the higher prices will be justified by the addition of additional memory...., that should have been there all along.

They have eliminated the use of multiple cards in a system by eliminating any kind of card interconnections, except on the very high end cards.  Why incur the expense of making more new cards when they can make even more profit by selling fewer cards at much higher prices?

It makes for a rather depressing situation when the first cards out were sold at quite reasonable prices, unlike the 2000 series cards.  Yes, better performance, but the reality doesn't appear to be meeting the expectations of the early 'leaked' benchmarks.

So, we will now have a couple of lean months to stew about no new cards, and then will be allowed the opportunity to buy what should have been released now...., but at a much higher than anticipated prices.

Sounds like a very well thought out marketing plan to me!  And we have all fallen for it.  Reading these forums sounds like the pleadings of a bunch of near addicts for just a bit of the latest drug..., but at the price probably twice that which was initially indicated!

Will I buy one?  Possibly, once the craziness dies down and there is supply.  My twin EVGA GTX 1080ti's are still going strong.  Especially with their installation onto a new AMD TRX40 motherboard with a 'Threadripper' 3960x processor.  I know that's not the 'hot' gamer setup, but what I do these days is not so much gaming as other projects.  Also, my old ASUS X99 MB seemed to be dying.  Lot's of problems, although the I7-5930k, six-core twelve-thread chip was still going strong.

So, I think a lot of what's happening now is more of a marketing ploy than an invasion of 'bots'.  The 2000 series cards were disappointing to Nvidia, who were used to users snapping up whatever they put out at whatever price.  The 2000 series was definitely not worth what they were charging for them, especially when looking at how good the 1000 series cards were!

Now, many may say I'm too cynical about the marketing strategy of Nvidia..., but it really all makes sense considering the seeming bargain that was going to be the 3000 series cards..., but I think will not turn out to be such, once things settle down and the 'real' 3000 series comes out at prices much closer, if not higher than the 2000 series!

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.
powermix24
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 20:11:36 (permalink)
I sold my 2080ti Ultra XC 2 months ago for more than i paid for it, now I'm running a 980ti to hold me over, so yea it's essential!

Intel 9900K 5GHZ|Windows 10 AE|Gigabyte Z390 Pro Wifi|Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX|16GB GSkill RGB DDR4 3200Mz|EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra|EVGA G3 1000 Watt|EVGA DG-87 Case|Alienware 34'' Curved Gaming Monitor: AW3418DW
Omoeba
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 20:12:40 (permalink)
This entire thread is a dumpster fire.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 2x16GB
Inland Performance 2TB SSD
EVGA Supernova 850 G+ PSU
Fractal Meshify C Case

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/20 20:21:54 (permalink)
HeavyHemiWow, kids now days.

Although I agree with you on your point, You definitely just lost whatever argument you thought you had with this alone.

Sit down and enjoy the ride.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

jmehalik
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/26 10:18:05 (permalink)
While I understand what steve was saying, its not the consumers fault for reacting. They hyped this up as the greatest upgrade in gaming and only have been producing for just over a month? Thats why people are upset and have the right
orkan
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/26 10:20:46 (permalink)
vgerik1234
Avolate
Paper launches are not good.

Everything we have learned over the past few days is that this was 100% a legit launch. Just the demand far surpassed any launch ever before. There was no way Nvidia could have prepared for this demand. Especially when they started manufacturing on a delayed schedule. This was basically a perfect storm of sucksssss.

If ANYONE at any of these companies was doing their job, they could have understood the demand easy. However, companies like to ignore and marginalize their customers, doing whatever they want while ignoring the facts. A blind monkey could have told any of these people in charge that demand would be insane. Covid has caused everyone to be home all the time... and guess what... they are GAMING all the time. 

Seriously, who is working at these companies that didn't realize this over 4-6 months ago? 
chosn1
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/26 10:33:15 (permalink)
gravedigger78
Nvidia said they only started manufacturing in August and the board partners had even less time than that. Demand could be in the 10s of millions. To satisfy 15% or more of the demand on day one they would need months of manufacturing time to build inventory first. The outrage observed has been a little overboard. 

100% agreed.
ShaconBacon
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/26 17:34:50 (permalink)
A week later and this is still relevant...lol RIP
tasso11000
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/26 19:22:14 (permalink)
This guy sounds like me, except I enjoy my sleep.
enewt
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11883
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/27 17:15:14 (permalink)
Perhaps, but I have a bunch of pc components that are sitting waiting to be built and I would prefer to build them during the return period.  Yup, I've been amassing parts over time before I had the GPU.  #idiot

Please use my Associate Code at your checkouts for up to 10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases: VDN2319M4O569J4

30 Series GPUs currently "in stock"
EVGA Queue Summary (North America)

williamr86
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/27 20:23:48 (permalink)
While they are not essential, it is also a slap in the face of consumers when a launch goes this horribly. I don't blame the manufactures as much as Nvidia for trying to push to market so quickly, to try and steal market shares from Microsoft and Sony. Lining the sotckholders pockets while presenting a disaster to the customer.

Enjoy Discounts on EVGA items with Discount code: 0HGRCPSXNTZ58R3

enewt
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11883
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: GPUs aren’t essential 2020/09/27 23:56:17 (permalink)
I absolutely agree that this was a mess.  I am disappointed.  I continue to hope that it will improve.

Please use my Associate Code at your checkouts for up to 10% discounts on all your EVGA purchases: VDN2319M4O569J4

30 Series GPUs currently "in stock"
EVGA Queue Summary (North America)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile