EVGA

AnsweredGPU Clock Speed - FTW3 Ultra- Very Irregular- SOLVED!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5496
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: GPU Clock Speed - FTW3 Ultra- Very Irregular 2018/11/09 11:00:23 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2018/11/09 11:24:51
Update:

I found the culprit! And I am a little embarrassed.
So I was only having this issue in one particular game. The others I run was no problem, only the one - IL-2 Great Battles.

Well, I use profiles in the Nvidia Control Panel for each of my games. I always have. And I leave the global settings at default. In my game profiles, all I would set in there now that I game in VR, was " Prefer Maximum Performance".
So today I just went into the global settings, where by default it was at Optimal, and changed it also to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Bingo! My card now gets full boost in this game! So apparently that setting in the Nvidia Control Panel was not taking for whatever reason. The others did, but for this one.
Issue solved now, so I am quite happy to know that was the cause. I will just leave the global at that setting now.

Thanks to everyone for all your assistance on this, sorry it was just this and I did not think of that sooner. I just assumed the profiles were working as they always have.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: GPU Clock Speed - FTW3 Ultra- Very Irregular 2018/11/09 11:22:55 (permalink)
d.burnette
Update:

So I was only having this issue in one particular game. The others I run was no problem, only the one - IL-2 Great Battles.

Well, I use profiles in the Nvidia Control Panel for each of my games. I always have. And I leave the global settings at default. In my game profiles, all I would set in there now that I game in VR, was " Prefer Maximum Performance".
So today I just went into the global settings, where by default it was at Optimal, and changed it also to Prefer Maximum Performance.

Bingo! My card now gets full boost in this game! So apparently that setting in the Nvidia Control Panel was not taking for whatever reason. The others did, but for this one.
Issue solved now, so I am quite happy to know that was the cause. I will just leave the global at that setting now.

Thanks to everyone for all your assistance on this, sorry it was just this and I did not think of that sooner. I just assumed the profiles were working as they always have.

Glad to hear that, but it's odd that prefer maximum performance fixed the issue because all it's suppose to do is keep the card from falling below the base clock speed. It shouldn't force the card into boost.
d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: GPU Clock Speed - FTW3 Ultra- Very Irregular 2018/11/09 11:30:19 (permalink)
Sajin
d.burnette
Update:

Glad to hear that, but it's odd that prefer maximum performance fixed the issue because all it's suppose to do is keep the card from falling below the base clock speed. It shouldn't force the card into boost.

Well I view it more as it is "allowing the card to boost as it should" lol.
In any event, I am one happy camper now as it is running great like it does in my other games.
The card still downclocks like it should at idle desktop ( 300 MHz), but once in game now it boosts to 1980 MHz rather than running at 1350 MHz.

Don 

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz all cores | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w Power Supply | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SATA SSD | EVGA DG 87 Case |

d.burnette
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: GPU Clock Speed - FTW3 Ultra- Very Irregular 2018/11/10 07:33:54 (permalink)
And to make things even a little more odd...

So when I boot up to desktop, my GPU is running at 1350 MHz. This is at idle desktop. Well since I had changed the Nvidia Global setting to "Prefer Maximum Performance" I did not find that odd.

But - when I then play a game, after exiting the game and going back to idle desktop, now my GPU downclocks and idles at 300 MHz like it did before. Which is ok as I would prefer it to lower to 300 MHz at desktop.
Some things just make me scratch my head LOL.

That is ok though, now that my card is performing great in this one game I am a very happy camper.

Don 

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile