EVGA

GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Author
Clovis559
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 563
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2021/02/02 20:50:43 (permalink)
Hey, probably not the ideal situation, but if you want to destroy your AIO attached, or waste $100 (What I'm doing), I have to sand down the pump fins, epoxy in, sand smooth again. All they're good for at the moment is blocking flow:

It's better than nothing. Hold you over until they release blocks hopefully? Sadly no RGB :(

<3

207 Replies Related Threads

Dyezak
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 107
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 21:12:50 (permalink)
    *popcorn*
    Dyezak
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 21:14:03 (permalink)
    Oh snap, I just noticed you have the same aquarium chiller that I just bought and am going to pick up this weekend.  MORE POPCORN!

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 21:28:53 (permalink)
    Are you integrating it in to an existing loop, or tailoring a custom loop around the fact that it's going to have a Hybrid card in it?

Will be interesting to see the results, I've always thought the fitting size difference between Hybrid cards & custom parts (unless you buy that small) would cause pressure/flow issues on the side of the loop after the GPU - but never seen anyone do it & post about it so no way to know for sure.

Also, look at all that copper, yowie wowee. 

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 21:39:59 (permalink)
    Dyezak
    Oh snap, I just noticed you have the same aquarium chiller that I just bought and am going to pick up this weekend.  MORE POPCORN!

I don't think that it is very effective.  As far as I can tell, with these loads, it is only able to cool the water down to maybe 2 degrees below ambient.  Hardly worth the time and money.  But feel free to prove me wrong; that would be interesting.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 22:06:16 (permalink)
    Dabadger84
    Are you integrating it in to an existing loop, or tailoring a custom loop around the fact that it's going to have a Hybrid card in it?

Will be interesting to see the results, I've always thought the fitting size difference between Hybrid cards & custom parts (unless you buy that small) would cause pressure/flow issues on the side of the loop after the GPU - but never seen anyone do it & post about it so no way to know for sure.

Also, look at all that copper, yowie wowee. 

I don't have well laid out plan, so a lot of this is a learning experience. I was pushing this off for so long, waiting for a Kingpin water block that I went crazy, obviously. I'm building a loop for this. I eventually would like this to play nice with room temp/humid/dew point, and eventually farther down the road move this into a mini fridge to drop down ambient temp/humidity. Tearing apart the Hybrid Kit was going to determine how far I can take this now, and before hooking anything up I just want to see if I can get a loop in the living room working with CPU/GPU/Chiller. I don't think that this water chiller will be able to dissipate anywhere near that heat, so initially I will be hooking it up to a Rtic 20 Hard cooler (5-6Gal?) that I need to order and use as a reservoir. I want to drill and screw that up so I can figure out how I will permanently mount the tubes through it.

A friend has donated a Yeti Tundra 105 (24 Gal?) that I will eventually incorporate into this once I figure out the Rtic. Then it will have to heat a considerable amount of water before the water chiller has to turn on. And if that isn't enough, I'll eventually have to upgrade the water chiller. This one is my gateway drug, 1/10hp.

The water chiller can be set to go down to 3c, so it's not really relative to ambient temperature. Just the time it takes it to get down to 3c. It stops operation if drops to 0c.

post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/02/03 00:13:04
    Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/02 22:19:17 (permalink)
    Definitely a learning experience, quite louder then I expected, I would love for this to stay off as long as possible. Who knows how accurate the watch app is, but I was hoping my socks would make it more accurate: 

It took 1 hour on the dot to cool that bucket from 18.3c to 10c.
    52 minutes later, just open air to the bucket, the water chiller has turned back on with 1C change. (Which is why I want to move this to a Yeti to retain the temperature.

Using a dewpoint calc, the rooms current dewpoint is 7.9c, 23.9c ambient, so 10c coolant should be nice start to pump through a PC.
    My current PC case is made out of wood, and all fans at max is only 42db. Very pleasant for speakers.
    post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/02/02 23:28:08
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 02:16:48 (permalink)
    I can only imagine what the "no noise" crowd would have reactions wise to my setup and it's 20 fans.  Granted, most of them are pretty quiet since they only run at 50% most of the time... but who knows.  Today's the day my Kingpin gets heatsinks stuck on it's backplate, then it's going vertical & getting a fan stuck on said heatsinks, should be an interesting experiment, never done vertical mounting before, this case at least has a decent amount of room between the vertical mount brackets and where the glass will be if I have it on (about 2", and it'll have air being blown to both sides of it with the giant 200mm fan I got strapped nearby to move air over both sides of the GPU currently).

Very much looking forward to your chiller loop results, it's crazy, but in a neat way.

Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Dyezak
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 05:53:43 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Dyezak

I don't think that it is very effective.  As far as I can tell, with these loads, it is only able to cool the water down to maybe 2 degrees below ambient.  Hardly worth the time and money.  But feel free to prove me wrong; that would be interesting.

My setup going to be slightly different from what OP shows here.  I have a 1/3hp chiller, or about 1300w heat dissipating capacity (OP's is 1/10hp, or about 400w).  And I'll be running the water out of the card, then through 3x 360 radiators to bring it back down close to ambient, *then* going through the chiller.  If I need to add a larger reservoir I can do that to increase the thermal capacity, but that's not in my loop plan right now.  The goal is to run the loop below ambient, but above the dew point.  

My card should be pumping about ~500w of heat out (FTW3 3090, waiting for a King still).  At full tilt, my 5950x is pumping about 220w out.  Mathematically, I should have 1.5-2x the thermal chilling capacity over my thermal load (this doesn't include the dissipation capacity that 3x 360 radiators bring to the table).

If you want to see a 1/10hp chiller (400w chiller) in a loop cooling a ~250w load you can watch:  https://youtu.be/HMtvEbD2MQo

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 07:22:12 (permalink)
    Doesn't somebody make a generic block that fits in the place of an AIO pump......?
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 08:07:03 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    Doesn't somebody make a generic block that fits in the place of an AIO pump......?

I don't believe so because the 3000 series has a different bolt pattern around the chip I think.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 08:08:04 (permalink)
    Dyezak
    And I'll be running the water out of the card, then through 3x 360 radiators to bring it back down close to ambient, *then* going through the chiller.

That will be interesting, but I am not sure that it will work that way.  I think the pump speed would have to be insanely low for it to work the way you are envisioning.  I suppose that it might work if you have two large reservoirs and an unconventional flow path with two pumps.

Like this? Maybe?

Otherwise, I don't think the chiller will cool the water fast enough, and you will end up at ambient (or very close to it).

Keep us posted.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/02/03 08:10:50

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 08:08:11 (permalink)
    sparetimepc
    kevinc313

I don't believe so because the 3000 series has a different bolt pattern around the chip I think.

Like this but side ports.

https://www.corsair.com/u...-Block/p/CX-9010012-WW

Asetek circular bracket pattern.  Use the stock bracket, but replace the pump with a block.
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 08:28:52 (permalink)
    kevinc313
    sparetimepc
    kevinc313

Like this but side ports.

https://www.corsair.com/u...-Block/p/CX-9010012-WW

Asetek circular bracket pattern.  Use the stock bracket, but replace the pump with a block.

I thought you were talking about the 4 bolt pattern around the die where the spring bracket is.

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 08:49:27 (permalink)
    Dabadger84
    I can only imagine what the "no noise" crowd would have reactions wise to my setup and it's 20 fans.  Granted, most of them are pretty quiet since they only run at 50% most of the time... but who knows.  Today's the day my Kingpin gets heatsinks stuck on it's backplate, then it's going vertical & getting a fan stuck on said heatsinks, should be an interesting experiment, never done vertical mounting before, this case at least has a decent amount of room between the vertical mount brackets and where the glass will be if I have it on (about 2", and it'll have air being blown to both sides of it with the giant 200mm fan I got strapped nearby to move air over both sides of the GPU currently).

Very much looking forward to your chiller loop results, it's crazy, but in a neat way.

I like the way you think, and I still need to drive you crazy with that Bios question later but my brain was at full capacity yesterday. I'm interested to see how those heatsinks help so I will keep an eye out! I ... am sipping my coffee, wondering ... if I destroy another AIO, and I drill the threads out of this plate, drop a screw through, to tighten, can I sandwich two blocks to actively cool both sides memory/gpu?  Would very ugly and even more interesting.

ty_ger07
    Dyezak
    And I'll be running the water out of the card, then through 3x 360 radiators to bring it back down close to ambient, *then* going through the chiller.

That will be interesting, but I am not sure that it will work that way.  I think the pump speed would have to be insanely low for it to work the way you are envisioning.  I suppose that it might work if you have two large reservoirs and an unconventional flow path with two pumps.

Like this? Maybe?

Otherwise, I don't think the chiller will cool the water fast enough, and you will end up at ambient (or very close to it).

Keep us posted.

Mine will not have a radiator. That would make my cooler temps warmer and fight the chiller, though by the sounds of it my Chiller would not be able to handle long durations of use between CPU and GPU, and I will need to be upgrading at some time. I should look into a 1/3, 1/2. The room my PC is in is weird, half the room is on one breaker, half the rooms is on another. So it may be doable.

This is what I'm aiming for: 

post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/02/03 09:11:46
    Dyezak
    Superclocked Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 10:25:31 (permalink)

That's my design for my Chiller.  We aren't talking monster sub ambient temp requirements.  If I were in Phoenix where humidity levels were consistently below 20% then I'd have the capability of going REALLY cold, and the chiller might not keep up.  But I'm in Texas, and the humidity levels are my limiting factor in the loop design.  So I can't really push the loop temp too far below ambient before I would get condensation here.  A 1300w chiller should allow me to hit my goals without too much fuss.  Though I doubt a 400w chiller would be enough.  

Attached Image(s)

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 11:02:25 (permalink)
    Dyezak

That's my design for my Chiller.  We aren't talking monster sub ambient temp requirements.  If I were in Phoenix where humidity levels were consistently below 20% then I'd have the capability of going REALLY cold, and the chiller might not keep up.  But I'm in Texas, and the humidity levels are my limiting factor in the loop design.  So I can't really push the loop temp too far below ambient before I would get condensation here.  A 1300w chiller should allow me to hit my goals without too much fuss.  Though I doubt a 400w chiller would be enough.  

Don't expect to see me with this working anytime soon,  but if you get this chiller setup first with ambient, you can put the computer in a minifridge and pump the water in from the outside. The mini fridge will help drop your ambient temps and humidity. Then you can hang nets inside with Silica beads inside to drop the humidity down even further. I imagine one fan would be enough to circulate the air so it makes contact with the beads, or I don't know if you would even need that. You would still want to condensation prep your PC in the many ways...

O.o baby steps

I have a cheap sensor, inaccurate but gives an idea, inside one of the fridges now. 4c 27% humidity, which is far better then my room at 21c 37% humidity. That's also factoring that I use this fridge and open the door regularly. If I didn't, and it had beads inside, It would even be better.

The fridge on the right was given to me, for this project also. Currently it's off and acts as a table. 
    post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/02/03 11:04:54
    christobol
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 250
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 11:35:12 (permalink)
    Dyezak

Putting your chillers in series isn't going to net you the best return.  The highest potential for cooling is to take the hottest coolant and run it through a radiator, the highest delta will net you the greatest heat dissipation.  Trying to link them in series makes it so the 2nd and 3rd etc don't cool much at all as the delta between the coolant temp and the ambient air isn't that great.  Linus did a good show about it after Corsair called him out on the original video.  I even did testing with my two 480s. 

For starters split your flow so both the GPU and CPU each receive their own chilled fluid.  Due to restrictions you might end up with one getting the majority if you do a simple Y split from the chilled reservoir. After some testing on my loop I did:

pump/reservoir --> GPU --> 480 radiator --> pump/reservoir --> CPU --> 480 radiator

If I were you I'd throw your chiller before the GPU.  That way you maximize the radiators, and you hopefully deliver the coldest coolant to the second component.

Stacking GPU to CPU is really handicapping your CPU's chilling.

Please consider using my Associate and Rewards codes to save 3-10% off your next EVGA purchase
    christobol
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 250
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 11:38:43 (permalink)
    Clovis559

Don't expect to see me with this working anytime soon,  but if you get this chiller setup first with ambient, you can put the computer in a minifridge and pump the water in from the outside. The mini fridge will help drop your ambient temps and humidity. Then you can hang nets inside with Silica beads inside to drop the humidity down even further. I imagine one fan would be enough to circulate the air so it makes contact with the beads, or I don't know if you would even need that. You would still want to condensation prep your PC in the many ways...

You would need to chill your VRM and NV.ME with water too if you went that route.  A frig is insulated, which works both directions.  The heat from the VRM and NV.ME could very well overwhelm the chiller on the frig since it's not a medium duty chiller.  It's designed to function in a limited capacity and really utilize the insulation to help keep things cold.  

Please consider using my Associate and Rewards codes to save 3-10% off your next EVGA purchase
    Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 12:49:12 (permalink)
    christobol

Stacking GPU to CPU is really handicapping your CPU's chilling.

This was rolling through my brain last night! kept me up till 2am... and the tubes and splitters, or another pump, and I was mentally overwhelmed staring at the ceiling at 2am...

christobol
    Clovis559

You would need to chill your VRM and NV.ME with water too if you went that route.  A frig is insulated, which works both directions.  The heat from the VRM and NV.ME could very well overwhelm the chiller on the frig since it's not a medium duty chiller.  It's designed to function in a limited capacity and really utilize the insulation to help keep things cold.  

M2 would be easy, they make plenty of blocks for. The new Corsair 600 Pro has an option to come with a water block attached too, crazy, eventhough I probably wouldn't go with that drive. VRM ... is on my mind, GPU and Motherboard. Especially for a mini fridge. I have an X299 Dark and from what I've seen nothing is commercially available, they have for the Asus Rampage and others. But then how am I going to jerry rig something for the GPU, or maybe a block is out by then that will cover that, or maybe not... Or possibly, the mini fridge can handle a little heat, we'll find out.

I'm going to focus on this part done first. By the time I make it that far, I might be on a different board/etc/block. I see the mini fridge as way down the road as I'm seeing I'm going to have to upgrade my chiller before that. I'm taking it in steps.

Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 16:31:49 (permalink)
    So far the heatsink dealio looks promising as others have stated it is, quoting from another thread I posted the info in:

So I looked at the only other stock run of PR I have a screenshot of with GPU temps fully listed.

Pre-heatsinks & vertical mounting installation, Peak Temps during Port Royal were (Don't have GPU main temp for some reason):
    GPU 2 hit 52C, Mem1 50C - Mem2 54C - Mem3 48C, PWR1 48C, PWR2 41C, PWR3 46C, PWR 4 32C, PWR5 34C
    Post heatsinks on the back (which are not over VRM areas at all):
    GPU 2 hit 50.9C, Mem1 44.0C - Mem2 50.2C - Mem3 47.0C, PWR1 47.5C, PWR2 40.2C, PWR3 45.8C, PWR 4 31.9C, PWR5 32.5C 

If that sort of effect on memory temps holds, that's pretty impressive for some simple rinky-dink aluminum heatsinks being thermal-taped to the back of the GPU.  The only other factor could've been ambient temperature, but I'm fairly certain the previous stock run was done at 70F ambient, the one I ran today after the installs was run at ~71F.
    Makes me think Mem1 is on the back of the card, because that's where I tried to get the heatsinks as close to as possible, over the back of the GPU core, and over around-about where the vRAM chips are on the top of the card.

That sort of a temperature drop from just some silly heatsinks thermal-taped on the backplate of the card is pretty darn nice.

Specs:

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/03 21:20:56 (permalink)
    Dabadger84
    So far the heatsink dealio looks promising as others have stated it is, quoting from another thread I posted the info in:

So I looked at the only other stock run of PR I have a screenshot of with GPU temps fully listed.

Pre-heatsinks & vertical mounting installation, Peak Temps during Port Royal were (Don't have GPU main temp for some reason):
    GPU 2 hit 52C, Mem1 50C - Mem2 54C - Mem3 48C, PWR1 48C, PWR2 41C, PWR3 46C, PWR 4 32C, PWR5 34C
    Post heatsinks on the back (which are not over VRM areas at all):
    GPU 2 hit 50.9C, Mem1 44.0C - Mem2 50.2C - Mem3 47.0C, PWR1 47.5C, PWR2 40.2C, PWR3 45.8C, PWR 4 31.9C, PWR5 32.5C 

If that sort of effect on memory temps holds, that's pretty impressive for some simple rinky-dink aluminum heatsinks being thermal-taped to the back of the GPU.  The only other factor could've been ambient temperature, but I'm fairly certain the previous stock run was done at 70F ambient, the one I ran today after the installs was run at ~71F.
    Makes me think Mem1 is on the back of the card, because that's where I tried to get the heatsinks as close to as possible, over the back of the GPU core, and over around-about where the vRAM chips are on the top of the card.

That sort of a temperature drop from just some silly heatsinks thermal-taped on the backplate of the card is pretty darn nice.

That's pretty nice drops for adding Fins to the back!

The AIO tubing is really thick, but the ID is really small. It's only 3/16th. I was hoping for at least 1/4th, these aren't going to have very good flow. I was hoping to find something at Lowes, but no Bueno...

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 15:00:56 (permalink)
    This the company for EVGA's thermal pads?
     https://www.ziitek.com/

They got some decent rated stuff from 1.5 W/mK to 11 W/mK, wonder where this falls in there: 

stryker7314
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 15:45:33 (permalink)
    Clovis559
    This the company for EVGA's thermal pads?
     https://www.ziitek.com/

They got some decent rated stuff from 1.5 W/mK to 11 W/mK, wonder where this falls in there: 

What's the thickness of all the thermal pads if you don't mind?
    Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 15:57:00 (permalink)
    2mm ? o.O I know not very scientific... I tried

This picture is off of the EVGA Hybrid Kit for 3080/3090. It all looks identical to what's on the Kingpin.
    _Gir_
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 331
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 16:06:14 (permalink)
    I really dislike this sandwich hybrid cooler design.  Makes it a chore to compress the pad enough to make ideal thermal contact with the memory while trying to prevent that pressure from pushing back against the plate and preventing firm contact with the die.

BTW, great post overall, 1000 pts.
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 21:03:10 (permalink)
    My next phase is going to be more fins, going to do a set of 5 on each of the VRM areas of the backplate, then add some more to the core/vRAM areas as well.  In game it was even more notable reductions in temps from what I can see, despite me testing higher clocks/voltage, Memory readouts were cooler by 8.9C, 3.4C & 1.4C respectively at load (and to further prove how much those little heatsinks are doing, that's no memory OC, with an ambient of 70F before, vs a memory OC of +250MHz, with an ambient of 72F, for the after).  VRMs are a bit all over the place since they're not directly benefiting from the heatsinks much, but are benefiting from less heatsoak from the other components running cooler, VRM/PWR temps were down 0.5C, 0.1C, 3.8C, (same) and 0.2C respectively.  Die temps were about the same, with GPU 2 being down 0.5C - again, that's with lower ambient before, and with higher clocks "after" install, so overall, I'd say well worth the investment so far.
    Hopefully doing the VRM areas of the backplate will help even further... the new ones I have coming are 20 x 20 x 10mm, so they're a bit taller in addition to bigger in size overall.  Definitely going to replace at least some of the current ones with those as well.  Ideally I'd heatsink like half the backplate, but we'll see.  Having a fan blowing over it combined with those is working out well though.

I wonder if a memory plate from a Hybrid cooler would work on the opposite side of the PCB, probably not due to alignment issues involved.  I do wish they sold the copper heatsinks from the face/die side of the card separately, I'd love to just pick some of those up for the backplate side, only put thermal tape where it's needed to help conduct the heat from components better... then the only place that would need additional heatsink-age would be the RAM chips & die area.

Specs:

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 22:59:36 (permalink)
    _Gir_
    I really dislike this sandwich hybrid cooler design.  Makes it a chore to compress the pad enough to make ideal thermal contact with the memory while trying to prevent that pressure from pushing back against the plate and preventing firm contact with the die.

BTW, great post overall, 1000 pts.

Ty! :) Trying to get this started asap. Waiting on a few more parts coming this weekend. And finding screws so tiny is hard!

Dabadger84
    My next phase is going to be more fins, going to do a set of 5 on each of the VRM areas of the backplate, then add some more to the core/vRAM areas as well.  In game it was even more notable reductions in temps from what I can see, despite me testing higher clocks/voltage, Memory readouts were cooler by 8.9C, 3.4C & 1.4C respectively at load (and to further prove how much those little heatsinks are doing, that's no memory OC, with an ambient of 70F before, vs a memory OC of +250MHz, with an ambient of 72F, for the after).  VRMs are a bit all over the place since they're not directly benefiting from the heatsinks much, but are benefiting from less heatsoak from the other components running cooler, VRM/PWR temps were down 0.5C, 0.1C, 3.8C, (same) and 0.2C respectively.  Die temps were about the same, with GPU 2 being down 0.5C - again, that's with lower ambient before, and with higher clocks "after" install, so overall, I'd say well worth the investment so far.
    Hopefully doing the VRM areas of the backplate will help even further... the new ones I have coming are 20 x 20 x 10mm, so they're a bit taller in addition to bigger in size overall.  Definitely going to replace at least some of the current ones with those as well.  Ideally I'd heatsink like half the backplate, but we'll see.  Having a fan blowing over it combined with those is working out well though.

I wonder if a memory plate from a Hybrid cooler would work on the opposite side of the PCB, probably not due to alignment issues involved.  I do wish they sold the copper heatsinks from the face/die side of the card separately, I'd love to just pick some of those up for the backplate side, only put thermal tape where it's needed to help conduct the heat from components better... then the only place that would need additional heatsink-age would be the RAM chips & die area.

Do you have pics/links to the heat sinks?

The memory plate other side: The solo memory presents a problem, unless you flip the memory plate upside down. Then they all line up. Now instead of 1mm closer to the board, it's 1mm farther. All problems. Also always a problem, how will the AIO block fit into all this as it's always going to be about 0.5mm closer to the board. But this was never going to fit gravy in the first place.

Also the mount. I'm hoping to drill out the threads on one side so I can drop a screw through and simply screw into the other side. What size screw is still a mystery to me. Smaller then a Standard #4 and Smaller then a M3. I have some M1.4 M1.7 M2 M2.5's on the way and some Standard #2. Hopefully one of those threads will fit:

The second Hybrid I'm tearing apart comes tomorrow, with more pieces on the way. Worse case, I put the AIO the Kingpin came with, back on.
    Thermal pads, poor photoshop pics, headaches, the whole shebang. Gonna be a funstrating weekend. 
    post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/02/04 23:04:21
    Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 23:10:44 (permalink)
    It's too bad that this has 10 holes instead of 8, because the holes would line up across:

Because then you could swap the plate with this: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-9010011-ww-water-blocks/p/N82E16835181227
    Also the fins flow shortway on the EVGA Hybrid, and longway on the Corsair, so probably wouldn't work anyways.

Tomshardware also has these pictures of the PCB Front and Back: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evga-geforce-rtx-3090-kingpin-demonstrated

Attached Image(s)

Clovis559
    SSC Member
    Re: GHETTO - Hook your Kingpin up to your loop (For now) 2021/02/04 23:11:58 (permalink)
    And Back: 

Now you can see how that one memory clearly messes it up.

Attached Image(s)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile