Future System

Author
Pastulio
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 157
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/01 12:16:38 (permalink)
Hello. I presently am using EVGA's 790i SLI Ultra mobo with Intel's QX9770 Quad-Core CPU & 16GB 2133 RAM which I built sometime back in 2008. Now that it's a decade later, I feel it's time to UpGrade.
I've done very little research on the matter, but wouldn't mind just getting perhaps another one of Intel's latest iterations for the cause.
Unless anyone can suggest otherwise, I was considering attempting at acquiring an i9-10980XE and overclocking that for the new 10-year build.
I am very much considering having a devoted custom-loop liquid-cool setup for the next build and looking at EVGA's X299 Dark to perhaps accomplish the task. However, would I be better off investing in ASUS's Rampage (VI) Extreme?
There are a few subtle differences between the two which give cause to either being a sound investment. But, which one should I go ahead and replace my 790i for?
I've never ran multiple GPU's before, but feel it's the most crucial aspect of the soon to be build--due to Liquid-Cooled operations: Once built, I imagine I won't be able to upgrade. At least not the same way with a single-GPU [air-cooled] (with relative ease)
The Dark allows for 4×SLI configuration whereas the Rampage only 3×. However, the Rampage does sport more than double the RAM quantity.
p.s. I've been "out-of-the-loop" for a while now... how new are these boards / chipsets? Is it even worth it to invest just yet, or should I wait till [essentially] the Rampage VII debuts?
I'm mainly wanting to utilize functionality of (performance increase vs. my current Quad-Core) the M.2 bays as I currently am running AHCI-PCIe interface SSD's and know that this would be a significant improvement in noticeable performance.

X299 Dark vs Rampage VI Extreme
post edited by Pastulio - 2020/05/01 13:42:55

7 Replies Related Threads

Nereus
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11716
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Future System 2020/05/01 14:05:13 (permalink)

The current boards / chipsets are pretty mature now, so you can get some fairly good deals. I often suggest waiting for the next gen if you're thinking of buying a new system and current tech has been out for a while, but I am apprehensive about the future couple of years because of the impact of COVID-19 - it may push prices up based on availability of product or components to make new products, and increased demand as the world trends to a more mobile-based work style. If budget is not an issue, by all means, the i9-10980XE is one hell of a chip, and a custom water loop would be ideal to keep that baby humming along nicely as they have a high TDP so they're going to run hot. I hate to say it, but you may want to look at AMD if you specifically want high number of cores, mainly because they are priced far more attractively at that level. I used to always run EVGA boards, but my last few builds have been with ASUS Maximus boards and I have no complaints.. of course if something were to go wrong, I don't expect to have much joy with their after-sale service, unlike EVGA who are absolutely legendary in that regard.

As far as GPU goes, I used to *always* SLI, but in recent years the top line GPUs have become so powerful that it don't think SLI is all that necessary anymore outside of wanting to show off impressive benchmark scores. Plenty of games/software just aren't optimized for SLI anymore, so ..meh. If you're intending to use your machine for compute activities rather than gaming, that might be a reason for multiple GPUs, but otherwise I don't think I'd bother, just go top of the line 2080Ti single card and put a water block on it.

I recommend the Samsung NVMe drives - the m.2 500GB 970 Pro in particular has been awesome for me as the primary drive, and for secondary drives I use 'older' 2.5" SSDs, seems to work well.

RAM - look for somewhere around 4000MHz, Corsair Dominators have always proved reliable for me, although with a relatively high price point. GSkill have lately been very good at doing more for less $ in recent years, so have a look at them - just watch the timings though as some of the high MHz sticks also have ugly high timings which basically offsets all the gains from having the high MHz speed rating.

I haven't run a custom loop for some years, but from my dated experience, EK was pretty much king back then and still is now.

You will notice a HUGE difference from your current system lol.. massive.

Also a good monitor matters - imo 27" 1440p 120-144MHz seems to be the sweet spot, IPS is better for accurate colors, but quality is often an issue these days - a lot of them have bad back light bleed, so it's a bit of a lottery trying to get a good one. The new LG screens might be ok, but ignore the 1ms response time claim, that's just a marketing gimmick that is unusable in gaming. The standard 5ms (like other IPS monitors) is fine though, according to most reports.

Please keep us updated, and take photos for the ModsRigs pages!

post edited by Nereus - 2020/05/01 16:56:06

ASSOCIATE CODE : CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR (5-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE : E64DMBSMI6 (EVGA product registration)
      HEATWARE   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   BUILD   |   MINI-ITX BUILD

XrayMan
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 65458
    • Ribbons : 109
    Re: Future System 2020/05/01 21:13:53 (permalink)

Moved to Hardware.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    DEJ915
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 158
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Future System 2020/05/02 13:37:33 (permalink)
    Current generation GPUs don't support 3 or 4 way SLI so the only thing 4 way boards are really used for is GPU compute applications.

What is your use case going to be with this new computer?  For most applications the new Z490 chipset CPUs or Ryzen 3000 series would be a better investment than X299.
    metroidprimerib
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: Future System 2020/05/04 20:50:43 (permalink)
    DEJ915
    What is your use case going to be with this new computer?  For most applications the new Z490 chipset CPUs or Ryzen 3000 series would be a better investment than X299.
    I agree. Ryzen 3000 is a pretty good option right now. Depends on how much you want or are willing to spend.

Pastulio
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Future System 2020/05/21 22:26:39 (permalink)
    I am planning on expanding my 3D-Design and CAD softwares, but mostly holding out for (hopefully) a release of the SDK Source 2 Engine to utilize, mostly.
    Other than that, (workstation orientated purposes) I was hoping to refine the build with Liquid-Cooling and just see about leaving it running 24/7 for Remote-Server orientated purposes.
    At the moment I have a small collective of roughly 30 peoples who like to access my homemade (pre-modern) NetFlix (you can imagine the latency/hiccups)
    Though, incorporating Games (for Streaming) is fickle--Audio/Video/Documents are all easily manageable.

*EDIT*
    Also; as an Enthusiast, I just want to try my hands overclocking a new rig. :)
    post edited by Pastulio - 2020/05/21 22:30:34
    kevinc313
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1208
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Future System 2020/05/22 10:50:41 (permalink)
    PastulioIntel's QX9770 Quad-Core CPU

That's awesome.
    kevinc313
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1208
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re: Future System 2020/05/22 10:53:33 (permalink)
    How about a W-3175X and a couple Titan RTX?

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile