Frustrating problem with year old pc - running 2080ti XC Ultra

Author
SeapigSwarm
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/06/30 03:04:40 (permalink)
Hey everyone,
So I’m facing a frustrating problem with a year old pc I built - specs are as follows: 

9900k @ 5ghz stable cooled with H100i
EVGA 2080ti XC Ultra @ stock
32gb Corsair 3600mhz dam
HX1000i
ROG maximus XI Gene

When I first built the machine a year ago, probably a month after completion, I decided to bench mark it. 

On Time Spy I was getting around 13000 points (13,469 was the final score I logged). This was split with 13992 on GPU and 11111 on the CPU. 

Around a month ago I noticed my system starting to behave strangely. It would stutter in games with frames dropping way down from 100+ to 30 and back again. 
Temperatures were all fine for CPU and GPU, and frankly it wasn’t so bad that I felt I had to root out the cause straight away. The issues are less noticeable in the main things I use the pc for. 

At some point in the last week I realised this was now a serious problem. My frame rates are way down, with big troughs in places. I felt performance had become substantially worse so I ran the benchmarks again. 

My scores are much lower - 9114 for the system. That breaks down into 9121 for the Graphics and 9076 for the cpu.
Looking at other benchmarks scores this is way under what I should be getting and a loss of over 4000! points for the system. 

So I’ve been trying to figure out what the hell is going wrong and I’m stumped. The system hardware hasn’t changed since I built it - the overclock on the cpu is the same and the only driver upgrades I’ve made have been the keep the GPU running the latest version. 

I feel like the issue is probably related to the GPU as that has seen the most pronounced drop in score... but I'm honestly not sure. 

So far I’ve double checked that the system is running on max power mode in windows and Nvidia control panel, I’ve removed all graphics drivers and reinstalled using DDU. I then stress tested the CPU overclock again and it still ran stable well within thermal parameters and no errors. Just to be on the safe side I still cleared the overclock fully (which had a small impact on the CPU score- reducing it). 
Ive also scanned for viruses and striped windows back to the absolute basics. 
Finally I’ve physically dismantled the pc, re-seated everything and re-pasted the CPU (although temps were good - I’m desperate haha). No change. 

I’m stumped - does anyone have any advice? How can I have lost so much performance and if one component is causing the problem, how can I go about identifying it. 

Thanks for the help

2 Replies Related Threads

EVGATech_BrandonO
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 224
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Frustrating problem with year old pc - running 2080ti XC Ultra 2020/06/30 06:42:07 (permalink)
    Do apologize for the issues. Its very well possible the GPU is starting to fail. 
    Send us the score link to support@evga.com so we can take a look. 

Have a moment? Please rate our service
    sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Frustrating problem with year old pc - running 2080ti XC Ultra 2020/06/30 06:43:02 (permalink)
    I would take the cooler assembly off of the gpu and check your thermal paste there as well, it seems there was quite a few people that were doing this and it was helping quite a bit because of poor thermal paste application from the factory. . To re-apply the thermal paste does not void your warranty so if you feel comfortable doing it i would try that.  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile