Formula Boinc

Page: << < ..515253 > Showing page 51 of 53
Author
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11099
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 15:33:34 (permalink)
Post edited

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 15:34:53 (permalink)
polarbeardj

Glad I found my way onto the team here, looking forward to boosting my hardware in the years to come to help add more crunching power
(AKA Eat Bigger pieces of the PIE )

Speaking of PIE - I was thinking I need to come up with some scripts to keep track of our team members' points on challenges where the challenge sites themselves don't.  If I can find the code I wrote back when we had a combined crunching-folding challenge, it shouldn't be too hard.  Then I can send the recipe (aka numbers) to bcav who can make the pie.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 15:54:04 (permalink)
Somewhere on Google Spreadsheet or what ever they call it I have seen some auto updated Pies from one of out Team Members but cannot recall who it was.
I wonder if drougnor or troy8d Would know.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 16:33:57 (permalink)
I could do that, but it's not quite as fun going to a Google spreadsheet somewhere as it is seeing the pies in the challenge thread.
21 sprints next year... that's an awful lot... not sure how well that plays out with our own crunching choices and POTMs.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 17:38:17 (permalink)
If we have to Vote on it my Vote is for POTM.
I think we have a lot of Fun within our own Team as well as Team to Team.
But that would be for 2018, lets see who picks up the Ball for 2018 and go from their.

wizanhi
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 332
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 17:53:14 (permalink)
Still got a month left to go for the marathon races =O. I just discovered what FB was not 2 weeks ago >.>.  But since i've been on the team for all my projects, not much harm done since I contributed to the final marathons =D.  Wonder how all the stats will turn out after all the validations are done, or will those that aren't validated by the time the sprint is over not count?

Affiliate Code: ZKOM7I856A

planetclown
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1692
  • Ribbons : 15
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/26 18:08:57 (permalink)
wizanhi
Wonder how all the stats will turn out after all the validations are done, or will those that aren't validated by the time the sprint is over not count?

The latter, meaning only those that have been validated by the end of the sprint are counted.

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 03:46:52 (permalink)
Everyone in here is complaining about the bunkering, you better edit your posts. (Page back in this thread, it's all there) Since everyone in here has bunkered for a Sprint, myself included. Since one person (most likely several more unknowns) not on this team has the ability to bunker, some very nice equipment to do it with and the knowledge to use it to its advantage. Everyone cries foul and gets their undies in a bunch, you know as well as I do if you had the same equipment and abilities you WOULD do the same. It is what it is and unless FB does like PG you will not change it.

With that said, I am done. Good luck on your future endeavors. 

ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 05:10:04 (permalink)
I'm with Howdy2u2. This bellyaching about bunkers is really getting to be annoying. I do wish that they'd find a better system for projects that don't award points until validation and low volume projects that run out of tasks. At this point I think that Seti Germany needs to do more to alleviate these issues. The latest sprint just highlights the issues they are creating for crunchers and projects alike. Some of these problems are solvable by advance contact with project management and they could do what PG does with some behind the scenes Work.

I don't participate in many if the sprints as I don't care for certain types of projects, but it is definitely disheartening to see such issues on the sprints I do participate in.

Peace out.

planetclown
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1692
  • Ribbons : 15
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 05:34:24 (permalink)
Bunkering is what it is.  Since it is available to all teams, I don't see what the issue is.  Besides, there is currently no way to prevent it outside of project-run contests like PrimeGrid.

Also kinda disappointed to see conflict in this thread.  Crunching/BOINC was supposed to be the no-pressure, easy-going side of the EVGA Distributed Computing house.  Now the folding side is looking that way. 

Aren't all BOINC teams really on the same side anyway trying to cure diseases, learn about the universe, etc?

Attached Image(s)

EVGA Associates code: OLY2307BPM0MXZU Click for a discount on your next purchase from EVGA.com

yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4642
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 05:56:14 (permalink)
I think the sprints have brought a lot of interest back into Formula Boinc and should be tweaked for next year.  I'm guessing the top 10 teams in each league like them. Change up or mix up the rules for different sprints or vary the length.

Does anyone here think we are a better team than a 4th place team in league 2. I don't. Unless we completely come together as a unified team with a unified strategy we won't win the race next year either. It sounds simplistic but we know it's tough to get everyone on the same page.

FB goals vs personal goals.
Real life issues and changes for team mates.
The effect of mining on our team.
Ability to communicate/strategize privately.
Recruitment

Some of the issues that need to be worked on.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 11:11:58 (permalink)
ipkha
I take some of the bunker drops aren't processing fast enough and points weren't awarded. A fine penalty for waiting too long to submit (assuming they missed deadline due to server delays).
On another topic, I didn't see my stats in the pie?

This Pie?

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 11:13:30 (permalink)
howdy2u2
Everyone in here is complaining about the bunkering, you better edit your posts. (Page back in this thread, it's all there) Since everyone in here has bunkered for a Sprint, myself included. Since one person (most likely several more unknowns) not on this team has the ability to bunker, some very nice equipment to do it with and the knowledge to use it to its advantage. Everyone cries foul and gets their undies in a bunch, you know as well as I do if you had the same equipment and abilities you WOULD do the same. It is what it is and unless FB does like PG you will not change it.

With that said, I am done. Good luck on your future endeavors. 

You take all the fun out of it.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 11:18:56 (permalink)
planetclown
Bunkering is what it is.  Since it is available to all teams, I don't see what the issue is.  Besides, there is currently no way to prevent it outside of project-run contests like PrimeGrid.

Also kinda disappointed to see conflict in this thread.  Crunching/BOINC was supposed to be the no-pressure, easy-going side of the EVGA Distributed Computing house.  Now the folding side is looking that way. 

Aren't all BOINC teams really on the same side anyway trying to cure diseases, learn about the universe, etc?

Yes and No, if this is the case then their should be no teams and no team events or challenges.
It is not an Event or Challenge of the Projects but a of the Teams and Team members, at least this is what I thought.
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/11/27 12:10:02

wizanhi
iCX Member
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 13:16:44 (permalink)
I always thought of these things as a competition between the teams....so I like that there is a little competitive spirit in the game.  

Opolis
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2778
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 13:45:05 (permalink)
I've been avoiding the recent "drama" but felt it's time to chime in.

I suggest we all just COOL DOWN and remember why we came to crunching in the first place...a stress free environment.
This is not what I've watched lately and we have just LOST A TEAM MEMBER, regardless of right/wrong.
Driving people away from our team is unacceptable for me.

Some thoughts:
Bunkering is just part of the game, so we should learn to live with it.  Emphasis on "game".
FB stats are not the end of the world, it is just supposed to make things more interesting.
A competitive spirit is great, let's keep it civil.

I learned to embrace bunkering and do what I can.
I participate in FB because it adds some excitement to crunching, even when I'm not that into a specific project.

Let's remember why this team was created and keep it positive, even if someone else chooses not to.  Be the bigger man (or woman).

<team_config>
       <team name=crunchingatevga>
       <positive helpful attitude=1>
      <negative nelly comments=0>
</teamconfig>

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 14:29:49 (permalink)
I agree, it is part of the game and I bunker and even though I am not crazy about it, it is part of the game.
Few people here do not like it, at all. Ok they have the right to say so. They made a comment, I though was funny.
I figure you play stupid games, sometimes you win stupid prizes. The "Darwin effect" 
Don't come here and post juvenile inflammatory pictures and expect not to be flamed back.
Don't tell me how holding thousands and thousands of tasks for 7 to 10 days, is not slowing progress of the science.
Then  moan and cry about if tasks are lost how it slows the science.....BS
Some one comes here and attacks a teammate then comes after me and our team, I will give it back. Sorry that is how I am.
I do not like the fact the mods took down his post, so most of you missed it. I have the screen shot. PM I'll will let you see it.
I thought it was funny and I laughed at it. People all over the world thought it was funny. many other read out forum.
So I came back it him with my own reply. Again people all over the web got a laugh, even him.
I was asked to delete the offending portion of my post by a mod, I did.
Now it looks like I came back at him for no reason. I did not. Nothing personal, I still like him.
Though something tells me now I will not be getting a Christmas card from him this year.

If a member of the team will  not stand up for a teammate when a person, from another team posts that juvenile crap here, as funny as it is,
towards a teammate. Then are you really a teammate?
I've taken a lot of lumps in my life sticking up for friends, even when they were "lit shooting off" in the bar, got the scars to prove it.
That's drunk in the pub for you guys across the pond.
Not how I was brought up, stick up for your family, friends and teammates.

I look at bunkering like this.
You go to a ballgame a hour early to get to your seat, grab a beer and a hotdog.
All the players are on the field playing the game already. Look at your watch and ticket stub, its 2 game starts at 3.
Ask the guy next to you whats going on?
Oh, they're bunkering runs for when the game starts.
Go to a nascar race and they start racing early bunkering laps for when the race starts.
That's how I see it. But it is part of the game so I go with it.

Sorry to all those whose feelings are hurt.
Any one who want to leave, I will say thank you for all your help in the past, take care.
Now I am done with this silly issue.

lblanchardiii
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 14:35:55 (permalink)
I hope you don't expect anyone to read that giant wall of text. lol.
bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 15:14:11 (permalink)
lblanchardiii

At least I use periods, commas and paragraphs.
Guess you have never seen a wall of text. Oh well.

Are you here to help and be a part of the community, or just here to stir the pot?

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 15:56:50 (permalink)
When AB first put together the Crunching team, it was in response (partially) to all the drama PG was causing the BIGADV project people. The desire was to put together a team of folks who could contribute to humanity in a laid back manner without all the politics and drama that was occuring in the Folding team. (Please note this was 3-4 years ago.) 

I fully support and desire from the team AB's approach. Keep it mellow, fun and challening for the team. It's not about points, badges or status symbols (as it was with the Folding side of things) it's about just enjoying each others contributions, team spirit and desire to contribute to a common cause.

I have seen the uptick in the drama and it's partially why I don't get as actively involved as I once was. This 'attitude' needs to change and it needs to change now. We old folks who first joined this Crunching team had a lot of fun. Let's continue that tradition and leave the egos out of it. Else wise the altnerative is Folding Drama V2. I would deeply regret that.

You team captains are responsible for not only setting up the challenges, joining them and motivating others it is also encumbent on you to keep the calm and Crunch on. I suggest you continue the legacy AB started, I continued and you inherited.

'Nuff said.

Opolis
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2778
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 15:59:31 (permalink)
I honestly don't know all that went on since I didn't read it and most of it was deleted anyway, but let's get back to the positive, low stress atmosphere.
Move on and continue crunching!

In other news, this is the first year I made an effort toward FB and it was fun.

lblanchardiii
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 16:23:51 (permalink)
bill1024
lblanchardiii

Are you here to help and be a part of the community, or just here to stir the pot?

I was just trying to be funny. Wasn't trying to stir anything with you.
wizanhi
iCX Member
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 16:30:35 (permalink)
Opolis
I honestly don't know all that went on since I didn't read it and most of it was deleted anyway, but let's get back to the positive, low stress atmosphere.
Move on and continue crunching!

In other news, this is the first year I made an effort toward FB and it was fun.

hehe...this was my first effort towards FB in general...only read about it 2 weeks ago O_O.  I caught some of those drama posts and just ignored it.  

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 16:43:18 (permalink)
lblanchardiii
bill1024
lblanchardiii

I was just trying to be funny. Wasn't trying to stir anything with you.

Sorry skillz, not sure where you were going with that. I am just a little edgy right now. A bit wary of outsiders, if ya have not noticed
I apologize to Tony too, I should not of said what I said, it was not polite at all, I was wrong.
I am on a lot of websites and I always try to be polite, helpful and respectful when I am in someone else home. Even when we disagree.
Most of all I apologize to my team for not ignoring the things that should be ignored and adding to the drama we all came here to get away from.

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 16:48:13 (permalink)
As far as I can tell, all the recent dramas in this thread were caused by people overreacting to or misinterpreting a post - so all of it could have been avoided with some PMs or some questions rather than immediately flying off the handle.  
For example, in joking that it would be amusing if xiit5i (whatever) got no points during the challenge due to his excessive bunkering, an unfortunate use of the plural "deadlines" instead of "deadline" by me caused Tony to think I wanted all his work to get lost, when in fact I was talking about the deadline for the sprint.  It spiraled out of control from there.  A simple question would have avoided it all.
Previously I think a teammate was offended by a statement following his own that was not a direct response, but he took it that way.
I see this all as an effect of the current political climate here in the USA, which is affecting people's behaviors in many ways.
Regardless, if everyone would take a breath and maybe a few hours before responding to a post in anger, the tone here would improve.

Now, regarding bunkering, I NEVER said anything negative about bunkering in general.  It is what it is and that's the way it will stay for projects that don't have the resources to create challenges without it.  I just find that the way xii5xzy does it is extraordinarily stupid in multiple ways - mainly being that bunkering is usually kept as a surprise, but with him doing it in the same way every time, and preannouncing the dumps, that sort of defeats the purpose.  It's kind of like telling someone they are getting a surprise party before they open the door and everyone yells "surprise!".
I prefer a good old-fashioned horse race myself, where you can watch the other teams and motivate people to add hardware when the races are close.  I didn't even bother to watch that team's points because I knew they weren't accurate (though I realize now that simply doubling their points before the dumps happen would give a fairly accurate estimate).

I also suggest that we simply ignore folks from other teams posting negativity in here to cause disruptions - akin to Russian Facebook farms.

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 17:11:47 (permalink)
One thing to consider, everyone should think about this.
When you are on the internet, forums, chat or what ever. Sarcasm, kidding and  joking around do not always come across the way you meant it too.
You can't see facial expressions, grins and laughter.

Can't we all just get along? edit /s

Spongebob28
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 317
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 17:32:34 (permalink)
What is bunkering?

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 17:36:57 (permalink)
Spongebob28
What is bunkering?

Wise guy, eh?  Do you like asparagus?  Here's a couple tips for you <pokes both eyes with fingertips>. 

You were joking, right?
post edited by Punchy - 2017/11/27 17:39:52

bill1024
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/27 17:43:11 (permalink)
Punchy
Spongebob28
What is bunkering?

Wise guy, eh?  Do you like asparagus?  Here's a couple tips for you <pokes both eyes with fingertips>. 

You were joking, right?

ROFLMAO

QuintLeo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 946
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Formula Boinc 2017/11/28 13:11:52 (permalink)
I doubt spongebob was joking, as I also have no ides what "bunkering" is.

I'm *guessing* from context it is about somehow doing work ahead of time and not submitting the results 'till a contest starts?

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
 I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Page: << < ..515253 > Showing page 51 of 53
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile