Hot!For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
joder
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/03/16 15:31:45 (permalink)
Yes, I know that Amazon.com isn't listed on the page for the promotion while Amazon.ca is.

No, I didn't find out about this until after I just received my card today from Amazon.com

I've contacted Amazon.com to see if they had information.  They aren't even aware of this promotion.  I contacted NVIDIA who said the codes are provided by the retailer.  I contacted EVGA who only provides for cards directly purchased from EVGA.  Who ultimately is responsible for distributing these codes?  NVIDIA?  Why do EVGA cards sold through BestBuy, B&H, MicroCenter, Fry's, etc. have this promotion, however, Amazon doesn't?

I haven't opened the card and may just return to Amazon if they can't figure this out as I would certainly like one of those games.  Not really blaming anyone as I just didn't see the promotion details until it was too late. 

Hopefully someone at EVGA on these forums has more insight on this and provide some assistance.  

35 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 18004
    • Ribbons : 88
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 15:32:47 (permalink)
    This is a NVIDIA Promotion for Honor, Not EVGA

Be Cautious when Helping Members on this Forum, You May Offend Others. New Horizons   My HFM

joder
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 15:46:09 (permalink)
    Thanks, That's what I thought but everyone points the finger a different direction :).  
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 12461
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 15:59:31 (permalink)
    Yes, unfortunately Nvidia controls the promotions, and they are even utilizing more control now via entering the codes through GFE.  Also unfortunately, Amazon.ca does support this promotion, but Amazon.com does not seem to participate in Nvidia promotions anymore.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    joder
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 16:09:51 (permalink)
    Thank you both for clarification.  I'd imagine this will come up again down the road with someone else or for another promotion.  I am going to hammer on NVIDIA for clarification and/or resolution.  

bcavnaugh
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 16:11:59 (permalink)
    joder
    Thank you both for clarification.  I'd imagine this will come up again down the road with someone else or for another promotion.  I am going to hammer on NVIDIA for clarification and/or resolution.  

YEP! You are correct about that.

Be Cautious when Helping Members on this Forum, You May Offend Others. New Horizons   My HFM

Slammy
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 166
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 16:51:52 (permalink)
    pretty dumb how they handle it honestly. Nvidia should just allow anyone that buys a 10 series card to punch in their serial and info on GFE or website and get the free games. Not make people jump through hoops etc
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 12461
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 17:28:33 (permalink)
    Slammy
    pretty dumb how they handle it honestly. Nvidia should just allow anyone that buys a 10 series card to punch in their serial and info on GFE or website and get the free games. Not make people jump through hoops etc

Think about it this way.  If you handle it the way you describe, then Nvidia and the game company benefits...to an extent.  The game company, of course, receives compensation from Nvidia for every Free key given to a customer.  Nvidia actually loses some money, because they have to compensate the game company.  Now, if every card gets the promotion, Nvidia can't control the pricing from wherever someone's buying a card.  As a result, Nvidia may sell more cards, but they may lose some due to pricing and potentially deal with increased fraud.

By using a retailer method, however, multiple partners benefit, and Nvidia keeps more control over the pricing of cards purchased for the promotion.  It also works as a reward for various retail partners that consistently sell GeForce graphics cards, which can further be controlled by the number of keys provided to each participating retailer.  By requiring a purchase through certain retailers, Nvidia can also reduce instances of fraud by having more accurate sales figures.  Smaller retailers, such as mom and pop stores, purchase through a distributor, so Nvidia won't have the same clarity or accuracy for sales figures.

It may seem like customers are jumping through hoops, but there is a method to the madness.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Scarlet-Tech
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 14077
    • Ribbons : 35
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/16 19:20:41 (permalink)
    joder
    Yes, I know that Amazon.com isn't listed on the page for the promotion while Amazon.ca is.

No, I didn't find out about this until after I just received my card today from Amazon.com

I've contacted Amazon.com to see if they had information.  They aren't even aware of this promotion.  I contacted NVIDIA who said the codes are provided by the retailer.  I contacted EVGA who only provides for cards directly purchased from EVGA.  Who ultimately is responsible for distributing these codes?  NVIDIA?  Why do EVGA cards sold through BestBuy, B&H, MicroCenter, Fry's, etc. have this promotion, however, Amazon doesn't?

I haven't opened the card and may just return to Amazon if they can't figure this out as I would certainly like one of those games.  Not really blaming anyone as I just didn't see the promotion details until it was too late. 

Hopefully someone at EVGA on these forums has more insight on this and provide some assistance.  

First, you answered the question before you asked. "Codes are provided by the retailer". Nvidia gives specific retailers a set amount of codes, and the retailer distributes them.

I figure amazon was removed from the list, since amazon has become ebay, and they can not provide any codes when third party sales are involved.. as such, nvidia probably found it smart to cut amazon out to reduce the issues.

Affiliate Code: BUJM19TE24
    SLICKRIC21
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 03:07:40 (permalink)
    Just adding here I have also fallen foul of this Free game "scam".

Purchased an eVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid from eBuyer.com here in the UK. It IS a participating retailer here in the UK, listed on both nVidia's UK page for the promotion, and plastered all over the ebuyer.com site (interestingly with no TC's anywhere though..a clue)

Never received a code, contacted eBuyer and was told it will be emailed within 4 days. 6 days later, no code. Contacted them only to be told they have no control over as and when nVidia send them the codes so they cant give me one.
    Contacted nVidia... yes you guessed it, they cant give me a code, they don't have access to them...they are generated "automatically" by "some server somewhere" and "sent somewhere".

Between eBuyer.com and NVidia, neither of them can give me a code.

Joke, feel a bit conned really.
    solomonshv
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 03:47:25 (permalink)
    you have 30 days to return the amazon purchase. get the card from B&H or newegg and return the card you got from amazon. B&H and newegg are both participating in this promo.

in fact, B&H is even giving away this game with the EVGA 1070/1080 hybrid cooler, which is on sale for $100 right now. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1273203-REG/evga_400_hy_5188_b1_hybrid_water_cooler_all.html

I believe this cooler can be modded (at the expense of the warranty) to fit the 1080 ti/ titan xp. 

Scarlet-Tech
    I figure amazon was removed from the list, since amazon has become ebay, and they can not provide any codes when third party sales are involved.. as such, nvidia probably found it smart to cut amazon out to reduce the issues.

Nvidia cut out amazon because amazon is run by morons. you can buy a GPU, get the codes e-mailed to you, and cancel the order before it ships. or just return or refuse the card when it comes to you. the game codes come out completely free. Microsoft had to void a ton of gears of war 4 codes because of this, and there were people on fleabay selling 50 codes at a time. the codes continue to be generated as long as the cards are "selling" during the promotion period. but when people pull this crap, Nvidia/Microsoft or whoever is issuing the codes start to lose money.

newegg figured out how to stop this ages ago. they split the bundled into two invoice numbers (same order # though). game goes into it's own invoice and assigned a $60 price to it, while the card's price is lowered by $60. so if you cancel/return/exchange the card, you already paid $60 for that code and stuck with it. and there is no way to cancel that because it's digital order. B&H does it differently, they will simply deduct the $60 from any returns or refunds. I don't know why no one at amazon has picked this up. 

it seems Nvidia also forces you to validate that you have a qualifying product because of all these scams. I bought two evga 1080 Tis from newegg, but it's making giving my codes away to friends a chore. they have to come over, log into their accounts, and attach the codes to their accounts. It's a shame that a few a**holes ruined it for everyone. 
    post edited by solomonshv - 2017/03/17 04:08:52

The_Ninjak
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 07:28:24 (permalink)
    solomonshv

newegg figured out how to stop this ages ago. they split the bundled into two invoice numbers (same order # though). game goes into it's own invoice and assigned a $60 price to it, while the card's price is lowered by $60. so if you cancel/return/exchange the card, you already paid $60 for that code and stuck with it. and there is no way to cancel that because it's digital order. B&H does it differently, they will simply deduct the $60 from any returns or refunds. I don't know why no one at amazon has picked this up. 

Actually, it is two separate sales order numbers now.  They split them up in the order confirmation letter then each one gets its own invoice.  Because of how they've done this, I combined my order confirmation and both invoices into one document to upload as my proof of purchase from Newegg.  This way EVGA will know that any step up should be based on the full $699 card price, not the $640 discounted price Newegg makes it appear as by splitting it this way.  I'm sure it'll be fine, as Scarlet-Tech himself has told me, but figured it's good to cover one's bases since the card's individual invoice doesn't mention the game promo, but lists a $59 discount as "DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #184017" while the order confirmation page actually says "NVIDIA GIFT".

It's a shame that Amazon.com is no longer part of the authorized vendors for game promos, but given what's happened in the past solmonshv is absolutely right that some people not acting right have ruined it for others.

Dexterryu
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 07:37:46 (permalink)
    It was definitely listed on the page when I ordered from Amazon. Once I get my card tomorrow I'll get online with Amazon and blah up a storm.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/03/17 11:03:38
    solomonshv
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 08:17:38 (permalink)
    cdburrus

Actually, it is two separate sales order numbers now.  They split them up in the order confirmation letter then each one gets its own invoice.  Because of how they've done this, I combined my order confirmation and both invoices into one document to upload as my proof of purchase from Newegg.  This way EVGA will know that any step up should be based on the full $699 card price, not the $640 discounted price Newegg makes it appear as by splitting it this way.  I'm sure it'll be fine, as Scarlet-Tech himself has told me, but figured it's good to cover one's bases since the card's individual invoice doesn't mention the game promo, but lists a $59 discount as "DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #184017" while the order confirmation page actually says "NVIDIA GIFT".

It's a shame that Amazon.com is no longer part of the authorized vendors for game promos, but given what's happened in the past solmonshv is absolutely right that some people not acting right have ruined it for others.

I'm looking at my order now. it's the same sales order number, but different invoice numbers. but that doesn't matter. I know that EVGA won't give us any trouble over it if we decide to step up. they know what we paid. I was just saying that is how newegg deals with this scammers and that amazon should do the same to stop this cluster....

The_Ninjak
    • Total Posts : 79
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 08:40:02 (permalink)
    solomonshv
    cdburrus

I'm looking at my order now. it's the same sales order number, but different invoice numbers. but that doesn't matter. I know that EVGA won't give us any trouble over it if we decide to step up. they know what we paid. I was just saying that is how newegg deals with this scammers and that amazon should do the same to stop this cluster....

Interesting.  It is definitely two sets of separate order numbers AND invoice numbers for mine, which I just reconfirmed checking my online order history.  But you're right, I'm not expecting any issues.  Amazon does need to take similar steps if they want to fix the mess they made.  I have Amazon Prime and would have bought it from them in a heartbeat if that were the case.  I'd have been able to enjoy my free shipping as well as use cashback bonuses toward the purchase as opposed to paying Newegg $15 in shipping fees.
    joder
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 11:55:39 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech

How does NewEgg do this then when they allow 3rd party sales too?
    Scarlet-Tech
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 12:28:54 (permalink)
    joder
    How does NewEgg do this then when they allow 3rd party sales too?

No idea. Maybe because NewEgg doesnt list promotions on 3rd party sales? I rarely buy from newegg after a horrible buying experience. I rarely buy electronics from amazon since they have turned into EBay.

You could ask newegg, amazon, or maybe nvidia. Newegg gets to participate and amazon use to be able to.

joder
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/17 12:48:08 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    No idea. Maybe because NewEgg doesnt list promotions on 3rd party sales? I rarely buy from newegg after a horrible buying experience. I rarely buy electronics from amazon since they have turned into EBay.

You could ask newegg, amazon, or maybe nvidia. Newegg gets to participate and amazon use to be able to.

Yeah I've avoided NewEgg for quite a while and will continue to do so.  I am going to hammer NVIDIA on this issue.  I don't expect any resolution of course.  I'm just glad I was able to secure an EVGA card.
    Dragunov308
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/19 17:58:59 (permalink)
    So? Am I SOL? I thought Amazon.com was listed, but it's Amazon.ca which is Canada. I bought a 1070 just for Ghost Recon. I then bought a EVGA power supply too after I opened the 1070 and it wouldn't work with my power supply. This sucks!!!! I don't think I can return my 1070 now.
    bcavnaugh
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/19 18:54:01 (permalink)
    Dragunov308
    So? Am I SOL? I thought Amazon.com was listed, but it's Amazon.ca which is Canada. I bought a 1070 just for Ghost Recon. I then bought a EVGA power supply too after I opened the 1070 and it wouldn't work with my power supply. This sucks!!!! I don't think I can return my 1070 now.

You spent $400 for a $60 Game?

Dragunov308
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/20 04:48:46 (permalink)
    Well, actually it was more like $600 with a new case, power supply & gtx 1070. I needed an upgrade from my 550ti, but I would not have upgraded if it wasn't for this incentive. Has anyone had any luck working with Amazon.com to get the game?
    acedl
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/20 12:22:03 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've ran into the issue before with not being able to get a game bundle with amazon (when I ordered 1060 for my brother). 

Just got my 1080 FTW Hybrid off newegg, and prolly wont even use the code. Played the beta for both FH and GRW - not a huge fan! 
    juardis
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/20 15:22:31 (permalink)
    Anybody get a link and redemption code for their 1080 Ti download? We're supposed to be able to download one of those 2 games with a purchase of 1080 Ti. I haven't seen an email or anything yet.
    joder
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/20 15:36:08 (permalink)
    Not if you purchased from Amazon.com.  They denied my claim twice and offered to let me send it back for free.  I think I will do that and just get it from BestBuy.
    bcavnaugh
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/20 16:07:14 (permalink)
    I just got another code from MSI for buying an MSI Motherboard from Newegg.

renowa
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/21 00:28:42 (permalink)
    I think the asinine way the promotion is managed will create a great deal of negative reaction that ultimately will affect sales. When one of the largest retailers in the world doesn't participate because of the potential for returns of the product after the free games has been downloaded, there is a large body of honest customers who feel cheated. And it's not Amazons fault but the whole code thing and the way it's managed, if you going to promote a product with free extras, just put them in the box, or don't expect me to be a repeat customer.
    bcavnaugh
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/21 10:04:48 (permalink)
    renowa
    I think the asinine way the promotion is managed will create a great deal of negative reaction that ultimately will affect sales. When one of the largest retailers in the world doesn't participate because of the potential for returns of the product after the free games has been downloaded, there is a large body of honest customers who feel cheated. And it's not Amazons fault but the whole code thing and the way it's managed, if you going to promote a product with free extras, just put them in the box, or don't expect me to be a repeat customer.

Welcome to the Forum renowa
    This would be best said on NVIDIA's Website as it is their Promotion.
    This would be best said on Amazon's Website as well.
    "potential for returns of the product after the free games has been downloaded"
    Last year it was 6 out of 10 who returned their card only to keep or sale the Game Key.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2017/03/21 10:08:36

Scarlet-Tech
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/21 10:09:49 (permalink)
    renowa

Like BCav Stated, it would be best to take your suggestions to NVidia or Amazon.  Since EVGA has nothing to do with the Amazon or NVidia rules, except to enforce them for their own sales, you should definitely let the other two know how out feel.  The amazon issue affects all manufacturers, not just EVGA.

warrior10
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 985
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/21 10:18:07 (permalink)
    NordicJedi
    Yes, unfortunately Nvidia controls the promotions, and they are even utilizing more control now via entering the codes through GFE.  Also unfortunately, Amazon.ca does support this promotion, but Amazon.com does not seem to participate in Nvidia promotions anymore.

That's a very bad thing to when no one wants anything to do with a very good marketing and sales promotion that obviously helps boosts sells. it's a very bad thing when even Amazon doesn't to take part in such a good promotion, as it would only help Amazon and other Retailers as well sales-wise i think. I would think of course Nvidia could and should force Amazon to do this Promo. I do understand the check and balances in making sure only the right people 
    get the promo-codes though.

oh well........... :/

Edit: since it was Nvidia that did this promo though, and it does cut out the middle man/ woman so to speak, then People should knock on Nvidia's door for their codes.
    post edited by warrior10 - 2017/03/21 11:02:54

My new Mothhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818
    HAF-X Coolermaster: 4 Fans
    New Rig: Ivy Bridge CPU-H100 Liquid arctic Cooled.
    16gigs Corsair Vengeance
    1 970 FTW+++++ get No. 2 later.
    Blu-ray drive SCSI
    CDRW-RW drive SCSI 
    Black WD Black caviar 1TB and 1 500gig
    WD Blue 1 TB  1 Sand disk SSD 240 for OS
    Corsair PSU 1020
    SWTOR Mouse and Headset
    P8Z77 ASUS MB-v-Deluxe
    Razer Ornata Keyboard
    1080p Monitor @144htz
    warrior10
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 985
    Re: For Honor / Ghost Recon Promotion - GTX 1080Ti - Amazon.com 2017/03/21 10:21:28 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    renowa

Like BCav Stated, it would be best to take your suggestions to NVidia or Amazon.  Since EVGA has nothing to do with the Amazon or NVidia rules, except to enforce them for their own sales, you should definitely let the other two know how out feel.  The amazon issue affects all manufacturers, not just EVGA.

Exactly, if they do promise you and anyone else a certain promotion, then they better darn well own up to those facts because as S-T said, other vendors could get wrongfully attacked by a promo they didn't do. Knocking on Nvidia's door is the thing to do.
    post edited by warrior10 - 2017/03/21 11:04:16

My new Mothhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131818
    HAF-X Coolermaster: 4 Fans
    New Rig: Ivy Bridge CPU-H100 Liquid arctic Cooled.
    16gigs Corsair Vengeance
    1 970 FTW+++++ get No. 2 later.
    Blu-ray drive SCSI
    CDRW-RW drive SCSI 
    Black WD Black caviar 1TB and 1 500gig
    WD Blue 1 TB  1 Sand disk SSD 240 for OS
    Corsair PSU 1020
    SWTOR Mouse and Headset
    P8Z77 ASUS MB-v-Deluxe
    Razer Ornata Keyboard
    1080p Monitor @144htz
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2