Overclocking Evga X58 SLI LE, I7 950 @ 4.2ghz

Author
tlpjr1972
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/11/03 21:43:56 (permalink)
   Posting because I noticed there we're a few forum members like myself looking for some type of overclocked bios settings for the I7 950 using the SLI LE board. Well this is what I have so far and would like to thank JacobF for the overclocking guide http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=20028 the main difference I found is that I have to use the multipler to get the system stable beyound 3.8ghz. I will say that the I7 950 is alot tougher to get past the 4.2ghz and expect to install a water cooled system to achieve anything higher than 3.8ghz.
  Would like to thank the community members HarryD , jmcu1 , MrRiddler , kyozero ,moose517 For selling certain items I needed to complete my first water cooled system. Some of them still have parts for sale and all transactions went great.

Index
Blu=Changed settings in Bios
Red=Hardware
Green=Bios menu Page
Gold= Bios Sub menus

First my specs:
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II
Mobo:Evga X58 SLI LE Thanks to HarryD
Cpu: I7 950 D0 S-SPEC: SLBEN, Temp= 26c idle 52c loaded, Running 4.2ghz, 200 fsb, 21x multipler (can't seem to get stable using the full 23x), 1.475 core voltage not sure if I can go any higher or if I'm to high now.
COOLING: XSPC water cooling sytem w/ swiftech waterblock for 470 gtx Thanks to jmcu1
TIM: IC Diamond= CPU, OCZ freeze 2 for 470 GTX
Video: Evga 470 gtx w/ water block running 650,1300,3402 temp= 35c idle 52c loaded Thanks to  MrRiddler
HDD: WD Velociraptor 300 gb Thanks to kyozero
RAM: CROSSAIR XMS 3 6GB @1600MHZ 9,9,9,24,2T, @ 1.66 volts Thanks to moose517

Bios: 76

Bios Settings:
POWER MANAGMENT
-HPET [64BIT]
PNP/PCI
-INTI DISPLAY FIRST [PICI EX]
FREQ./VOLTAGE CONTROL
CPU CLOCK RATIO [21X] [CPU HOST FREQ [[MCH STRAP [AUTO]
CPU UNCORE FREQ. [3205MHZ (16X)]
CPU CLOCK SKEW [0PS]
SPREAD SPECTRUM [DISABLED]
PCI FREQ [100]
OC RECCOVERY [ENABLED]
TURBO PERFORMANCE [ENABLED]
-MEMORY FEATURES:
      MEMORY SPD  [XMP PROFILE 1]
      MEMORY CONTROL SETTINGS [ENABLED]
      MEMORY FREQ.  [2:8]
      CHANNEL INTERLEAVE [6 WAY]
      RANK INTERLEAVE  [4 WAY]
      MEMORY GAP    [AUTO]
      TCL  [9]
      TRCD [9]
      TRD [9]
      TRAS [24]
      TRFC  [74]
      COMMAND RATE [2T]
      LEAVE ALL OTHERS IN AUTO UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING
VOLTAGE CONTROL:
   -EVGA VDROP CONTROL [WITH VDROP]
     -CPU VCORE [1.475]
      -CPU VTT VOLTAGE [+300mv]
         -CPU PLL Vcore [AUTO]
          -QPI PLL Vcore [1.4]
           -DIMM VOLTAGE [1.66]
             -DIM DQ Vref [+0mv]
               -IOA Vcore [1.4]
                 -IOH/ICH I/O VOLTAGE [1.65]
                    -ICH Vcore [1.25]

CPU FEATURES:
INTEL SPEEDSTEP [DISABLED]
TURBO [DISABLED]
CXE FUNCTION [DISABLED]
EXCUTE BIT[DISABLED]
VIRTUALZATION [DISABLED]
INTEL HT [ENABLE]
ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORES [ALL]
QPI CONTROL SETTINGS [ENABLED]
QPI LINKFAST MODE [ENABLED]
QPI FREQ. SELECTION [4.800 GT/S]

These setting are what works for me right now. I can not get stable using full multiplier and keeping the ram around 1600. I might try increasing the ram dim voltage a little more to try and overclock the ram to get the system stable @ 23x multiplier which would put me @ 4.5ghz roughly.
    I have read that the ram voltage can be only .5 volts max higher than the Cpu Vcore voltage. If I understand this correctly than I should be able to easily set the Ram Dimm voltage to 1.7v to help keep the ram stable Since Im @ 1.475 on the Cpu Vcore. Let me know if im reaching the limit on Cpu Vcore or the Ram. Has anyone ran a system higher than 1.475 for a fixed amount of time?  I am still playing with voltages and multipliers.
   These settings are prime 95, Intel Burner , Vantage, and OCCT stable. If anyone has any suggestions please add some comments. Hopefully this might help someone else that might be fighting to get there I7 950 higher than 3.8ghz. I would like to thank the community for their time and help.

post edited by tlpjr1972 - 2010/11/03 21:49:40

HTPC

CPU= I7 950 @ o.c 3.8 ghz,  
OS= 7 ultimate 64 bit
Cooling= Water Cooled CPU & Vid XSPC  
Case=Cooler Master CM690 II
MEM=12 gb Crossair DDr3 1600 mhz
HDD= WD 300GB 10K rpm, Hitachi 1tb
Graphics= Evga 470 GTX Watercooled
MOBO= Evga X58 SLI LE 
PSU= Crossair 850watt

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=65512

3 Replies Related Threads

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re:Overclocking Evga X58 SLI LE, I7 950 @ 4.2ghz 2010/11/03 22:30:26 (permalink)
    First, not many like Jacobs guide, it was designed for C0 920. Shansmi's is much better and it teaches you the proper way to overclock. They require a lot of voltage. You should only need 1.40v or less depending on what you are doing with the rig. I require 1.4375v for 4.2GHz on a 930 to fold stable. 4.2GHz is easy for most CPU's, to start just put the Multiplier at 21 and the Bclock at 201 for clock drift otherwise it will show up as 4.19GHz if you put 200.

I have read that the ram voltage can be only .5 volts max higher than the Cpu Vcore voltage. If I understand this correctly than I should be able to easily set the Ram Dimm voltage to 1.7v to help keep the ram stable Since Im @ 1.475 on the Cpu Vcore.

This here is slightly wrong. It's .5 of the CPU VTT, NOT CPU Vcore.

You can also probably bring your CPU VTT Voltage down to +200, you are past Intel Specs for voltage on that one. It can be ran there, and many do. I would try to bring it down some. Can probably also run your RAM at a command rate of 1T as well. Most of the time when you use 2T is really low timing around CAS 6 and if the manufacture specifies so. Also use 2T if you have 12GB of RAM.
    NEVER use the XMP Profile when overclocking, that is only if you are going to run your CPU at stock and you aren't sure on how to set the Divider and timings. Can probably try to bring a lot of those other voltages down as well.

I know this seems like a lot, but I'm pretty confident others would agree with me.
    If I was in your shoes, I would read these two guides, and go slow. Overclocking doesn't happen in a day.
    How to Overclock the I7 (Ported)
    3 Step Overclocking Guide - Bloomfield and Gulftown

Edit-
    These settings are prime 95, Intel Burn Test ...... Stable.

How many passes of ITB and how many hours of Prime? Recommended to run 20-25 passes of ITB and 9-12+ hours of Prime95.
    post edited by loveha - 2010/11/03 22:39:52

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    z3r0t0l0rence
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9599
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re:Overclocking Evga X58 SLI LE, I7 950 @ 4.2ghz 2010/11/03 23:55:17 (permalink)
    Also getting to 4.2 will show if you have enough cooling.  As in my case I could of easily gone 4.2 if it wasn't for my HS not up to the task. 

i7 930 OC 4.21 
    EVGA E758 
    GSkill 12GB
    Evga GTX 780 SC
    2x Kingston 240 Raid 0
    2x Seagate 4TB

casshernuk
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Overclocking Evga X58 SLI LE, I7 950 @ 4.2ghz 2018/03/12 07:16:17 (permalink)
    tlpjr1972
       Posting because I noticed there we're a few forum members like myself looking for some type of overclocked bios settings for the I7 950 using the SLI LE board. Well this is what I have so far and would like to thank JacobF for the overclocking guide the main difference I found is that I have to use the multipler to get the system stable beyound 3.8ghz. I will say that the I7 950 is alot tougher to get past the 4.2ghz and expect to install a water cooled system to achieve anything higher than 3.8ghz.
    Would like to thank the community members HarryD , jmcu1 , MrRiddler , kyozero ,moose517 For selling certain items I needed to complete my first water cooled system. Some of them still have parts for sale and all transactions went great.

Index
    Blu=Changed settings in Bios
    Red=Hardware
    Green=Bios menu Page
    Gold= Bios Sub menus

First my specs:
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II
    Mobo:Evga X58 SLI LE Thanks to HarryD
    Cpu: I7 950 D0 S-SPEC: SLBEN, Temp= 26c idle 52c loaded, Running 4.2ghz, 200 fsb, 21x multipler (can't seem to get stable using the full 23x), 1.475 core voltage not sure if I can go any higher or if I'm to high now.
    COOLING: XSPC water cooling sytem w/ swiftech waterblock for 470 gtx Thanks to jmcu1
    TIM: IC Diamond= CPU, OCZ freeze 2 for 470 GTX
    Video: Evga 470 gtx w/ water block running 650,1300,3402 temp= 35c idle 52c loaded Thanks to  MrRiddler
    HDD: WD Velociraptor 300 gb Thanks to kyozero
    RAM: CROSSAIR XMS 3 6GB @1600MHZ 9,9,9,24,2T, @ 1.66 volts Thanks to moose517

Bios: 76

Bios Settings:
    POWER MANAGMENT
    -HPET [64BIT]
    PNP/PCI
    -INTI DISPLAY FIRST [PICI EX]
    FREQ./VOLTAGE CONTROL
    CPU CLOCK RATIO [21X] [CPU HOST FREQ [[MCH STRAP [AUTO]
    CPU UNCORE FREQ. [3205MHZ (16X)]
    CPU CLOCK SKEW [0PS]
    SPREAD SPECTRUM [DISABLED]
    PCI FREQ [100]
    OC RECCOVERY [ENABLED]
    TURBO PERFORMANCE [ENABLED]
    -MEMORY FEATURES:
         MEMORY SPD  [XMP PROFILE 1]
         MEMORY CONTROL SETTINGS [ENABLED]
         MEMORY FREQ.  [2:8]
         CHANNEL INTERLEAVE [6 WAY]
         RANK INTERLEAVE  [4 WAY]
         MEMORY GAP    [AUTO]
         TCL  [9]
         TRCD [9]
         TRD [9]
         TRAS [24]
         TRFC  [74]
         COMMAND RATE [2T]
         LEAVE ALL OTHERS IN AUTO UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING
    VOLTAGE CONTROL:
      -EVGA VDROP CONTROL [WITH VDROP]
        -CPU VCORE [1.475]
         -CPU VTT VOLTAGE [+300mv]
            -CPU PLL Vcore [AUTO]
             -QPI PLL Vcore [1.4]
              -DIMM VOLTAGE [1.66]
                -DIM DQ Vref [+0mv]
                  -IOA Vcore [1.4]
                    -IOH/ICH I/O VOLTAGE [1.65]
                       -ICH Vcore [1.25]

CPU FEATURES:
    INTEL SPEEDSTEP [DISABLED]
    TURBO [DISABLED]
    CXE FUNCTION [DISABLED]
    EXCUTE BIT[DISABLED]
    VIRTUALZATION [DISABLED]
    INTEL HT [ENABLE]
    ACTIVE PROCESSOR CORES [ALL]
    QPI CONTROL SETTINGS [ENABLED]
    QPI LINKFAST MODE [ENABLED]
    QPI FREQ. SELECTION [4.800 GT/S]

These setting are what works for me right now. I can not get stable using full multiplier and keeping the ram around 1600. I might try increasing the ram dim voltage a little more to try and overclock the ram to get the system stable @ 23x multiplier which would put me @ 4.5ghz roughly.
       I have read that the ram voltage can be only .5 volts max higher than the Cpu Vcore voltage. If I understand this correctly than I should be able to easily set the Ram Dimm voltage to 1.7v to help keep the ram stable Since Im @ 1.475 on the Cpu Vcore. Let me know if im reaching the limit on Cpu Vcore or the Ram. Has anyone ran a system higher than 1.475 for a fixed amount of time?  I am still playing with voltages and multipliers.
      These settings are prime 95, Intel Burner , Vantage, and OCCT stable. If anyone has any suggestions please add some comments. Hopefully this might help someone else that might be fighting to get there I7 950 higher than 3.8ghz. I would like to thank the community for their time and help.

Hi MAny thanks for this VERY simple walkthru, i still have and game on my now very old x58 sli3 i7 950
    Having following your steps im now running my 3ghz at 4.2ghz and it feels like a new pc getting around an extra 30fps in some games (arma based , pubg,csgo)

on this line tho CPU CLOCK RATIO[<font] [21X] [CPU HOST FREQ [[MCH STRAP [AUTO] 
    the cpu host freq i guessed at 200 incase anyone else reads and was wondering, worked great for me,

Again many thanks
    Enjoy gaming !
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile