EVGA

AnsweredHot!Removing GPU from the Motherboard.

Author
x3rulion
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2023/05/19 23:34:34 (permalink)
I searched Google for the following inquiry, but I was unable to find any information, so I thought I would try asking here.

I have a EVGA Z790 DP, and I am having difficulty safely removing the GPU after inserting it into the mobo. Specifically, once I completely insert the GPU into the mobo, I hear a "click", implying the mobo has successfully latched onto the GPU. However, when attempting to remove the GPU, I am having trouble unlocking the "lock," which essentially ejects the GPU. I am concerned using brute force will damage the GPU slot or break the GPU slot lock. 

I would appreciate any advice on how to safely and successfully remove the GPU after inserting it into the mobo.

Thank you.
troybal
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/20 00:09:40 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2023/05/28 13:07:09
In your motherboard box, you should have an Accessories box. In that box is a long 6 inch very thin "stick". It is used to slide on top of your GPU over to the lock and you push that stick against the lock to unlock it. I believe it is called a GPU Removal tool. If yo do not have one, you could use a "chop stick" or something thinner. Google GPU Removal Tool to see vids on it. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/20 03:33:28 (permalink)
The unlock does not eject the GPU. The tab just unlocks the small piece that holds the GPU.

There is a very small piece that will move the GPU very slightly outward, but it you will still have to remove the GPU yourself.
Delirious
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 17474
  • Ribbons : 61
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/20 05:48:45 (permalink)
troybal
In your motherboard box, you should have an Accessories box. In that box is a long 6 inch very thin "stick". It is used to slide on top of your GPU over to the lock and you push that stick against the lock to unlock it. I believe it is called a GPU Removal tool. If yo do not have one, you could use a "chop stick" or something thinner. Google GPU Removal Tool to see vids on it. 

did not know that.  I'll look inside my box.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
x3rulion
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/20 10:53:49 (permalink)
troybal

I was unaware of this. I will definitely look into it.

the_Scarlet_one
The unlock does not eject the GPU. The tab just unlocks the small piece that holds the GPU.

There is a very small piece that will move the GPU very slightly outward, but it you will still have to remove the GPU yourself.

Sorry for the misuse of words. Yes, you are correct that releasing the tab does not eject the GPU but rather unlocks it, which is still necessary to safely remove the GPU. I was just unsure on how to access this tab after inserting the GPU since the GPU essentially covers this area, but I have yet to try the suggestion by troybal.  
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/21 02:52:30 (permalink)
It can be hard to get to the latch but knowing where it is located and how it works from YouTube videos should help.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

x3rulion
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/25 15:38:05 (permalink)
troybal

I just checked the "Accessories Box" that accompanies the motherboard, and it unfortunately did not have a long and thin stick. I will try chopsticks and report back.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30975
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/26 07:15:57 (permalink)
A standard sized, "paint stir stick" works well for this, I have also used a 12 inch plastic ruler in the past.

Do not use anything metal, if it slips it might damage the MB

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

x3rulion
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/26 13:05:29 (permalink)
Happy to report essentially anything long and thin enough to access the clip, such as chopsticks, is adequate. Thank you everyone for your help.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/27 02:50:37 (permalink)
Glad to hear it helped. I hadn't heard of using chopsticks before but it seems like a good option since wood is less likely to damage a MB if it slips. Still I have always managed to get it with my fingers but nice to have other options with coolers getting wider.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

x3rulion
Re: Removing GPU from the Motherboard. 2023/05/27 17:12:03 (permalink)
Hoggle
Glad to hear it helped. I hadn't heard of using chopsticks before but it seems like a good option since wood is less likely to damage a MB if it slips. Still I have always managed to get it with my fingers but nice to have other options with coolers getting wider.

Ah, yes, I tried using my fingers, but I could not access the clip. I am also very gentle, or at least try to be, when it comes to handling the motherboard or any other components of the desktop given my fear of causing damage. 
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile