philsward
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/03/21 01:14:33 (permalink)
Motherboard: EVGA X299 FTW K
Processor: i9-10900X
Memory: 64GB
BIOS: 1.28 (Don't care about 1.29... It's a ME firmware update so not gonna help)

I picked up the ICYDOCK ToughArmor MB834M2K-B with the hope of being able to hot swap NVME drives but I cannot for the life of me get the computer to recognize any NVME drives on this device.

I've tried 5 different cables, 4 of them were the same brand, 2 are 10Gtek cables. Both ends are SFF-8643 which should be able to handle the U.2 ports no problem (yes, the MB834M2K-B uses SFF-8643)

I don't have a U.2 drive (or cable for that matter) to test, so that won't be any help...

I quadruple checked that the U.2 ports are enabled.
I tried enabling CPU attached storage for those ports and it still won't recognize anything plugged into them.
I reset the bios to defaults.
I boot to windows, installed the VMD driver and still nothing.
Name it, I've probably already tried it.

If there's a workaround, usually I can find it but not this time. I'm at a complete loss. The manual talks like the U.2 ports don't share with literally anything on the motherboard (which surprised me). Supposedly even the X299 Dark shares lanes with the U.2? I have the GPU installed in PE2 and a 10Gbe network card in PE1. I had a wireless in PE6 and removed it but it didn't help.

Any suggestions or insight?
post edited by philsward - 2023/03/21 01:17:38
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/21 04:46:13 (permalink)
I assume when you look in Disk Management in Windows the drives are not there either, is that correct? You might want to query ICYDOCK tech support and see if they have any workarounds for you. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hillguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1320
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/21 09:58:28 (permalink)

Their FAQ says you might have to use the device manager ? ( See pic below )

They also have a View List button that opens up the incompatible drives at the bottom of the product page

https://global.icydock.com/product_232.html

Best of Luck

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30991
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/21 13:17:29 (permalink)
which BIOS are you using?

I am not sure if this will help, however best info I could find

FAQ # 59720
      https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59720
How can I configure a VROC Raid array with my EVGA X299 motherboard?
Last Update: 2018/10/25

Interesting older post
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2748703

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

EVGATech_MattM
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2245
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/21 16:26:08 (permalink)
I am sorry to hear this and I have e-mailed you about this for support on it.
philsward
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/21 23:02:59 (permalink)
First of all, thanks all for the replies.

I assume when you look in Disk Management in Windows the drives are not there either, is that correct? You might want to query ICYDOCK tech support and see if they have any workarounds for you. 

I have looked and they do not show up. I wanted to contact ICYDOCK as a last resort.

Their FAQ says you might have to use the device manager ? ( See pic below )
They also have a View List button that opens up the incompatible drives at the bottom of the product page

I hadn't seen the FAQ before you mented it. I did use the device manager and attempted the refresh. Disk manager doesn't see anything either (Why would it if Device Manager doesn't see it?) That said, the BIOS does not see the disks no matter what I do, whether they are attached to the DMI through PCH or attached to the CPU through VROC. From what I've gathered, the U.2 drives can be swapped between both lane interfaces. I also hadn't seen the incompatible drive notice. One of the drives is a Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

> which BIOS are you using?
As stated in the OP, 1.28. v1.29 is listed as an Intel ME firmware update so unless they made changes and didn't document them, updating won't help. I'll get around to 1.29 when I get around to it.

I am not sure if this will help, however best info I could find FAQ # 59720
Great find. The X299 FTW K is slightly different but yes, I tried setting them up to use the CPU lanes for traffic but I can't get VMD to see the drives. In the case of the X299 FTW K, you enable "CPU Attached Storage" along with setting the U.2 drives to "PCIe SSD Card". But yeah, they don't show up when attached to the CPU. I even shut the computer completely off and it didn't help register the drives. I'm using a total of 20 lanes out of I believe 44 available so that wouldn't be the reason they don't register.

---

I'm probably going to grab a PCIe addon card with U.2, specifically one recommended and known to work from ICYDOCK just to see if it's a board or cable issue.
Biosat
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/22 23:23:17 (permalink)
There are sometimes little problems with the bios of the FTWK. And even you are able to switch between 2. It is one bios in the end.
I would try to flash the bios new, with the newest version.

For example, there is sometimes the problem with the VRM cooler, which runs suddenly at very high RPM and it seems that there is nothing you can do.

But if you flash the bios new, the problem is fixed until you try to overlock to a frequency which dosn´t works, for example.

Maybe it happens when you only start your system new, this can happen, too.
But i see no problem to flash the bioschips, and in this case it is sufficient to flash one of the two chips.

What i want to say.
The bioschips are the weakness of x299 and i would recommed to flash them new, if there is a problem for which you can´t find any cause.

A bios can be damaged, like a bioschip can be damaged. But i believe something causes that the biochips become a little bit more often become a bit corrupt at x299?

In not too rare cases. There is a problem with it. Look at so many used and refurbished X 299 Dark, one bioschip is deactivated. There must be a reason for that? Or don't you think so?

But where is the problem, there is a very safe and easy to use flash funktion in the bios and you can flash the bios within 2 minutes without any risks, because you have more than one even a removable!

In my opinion, X299, especially the X299 FTWK and the X299 Dark, which I both  have, is still a great platform.

Auch wenn ich jetzt ein EVGA z690 Dark K|NGP|N anstrebe

A platform for which you have to be interested and passionate, in order to elicit its true power.
But there is so much power in it when you have everything optimized.

That's why I also prefer the Core i9 79xx CPUs, because you can behead them so easily, e.g. with the fantastic tool from "der8auer".

If you then treat it with liquid metal and choose a stronger cooler (I use a 560/30 and a 280/30 with an EK Velocity and 2 alphacool ice sheets.)

Then you can do a lot with it. The  ram subtimings are important.

But what am I telling you, you probably know that better than I do.

I would flash both chips with the latest bios 1.29. Why not, that's a matter of minutes and without risk since you have 2.

You have set us RAID and not AHCI?

A few month ago i said that something like the FTWK isn´t good for overlocking with a coremultiplicator over 50. This was absolte nonsens

https://valid.x86.fr/9yhq27

https://valid.x86.fr/exvtgl

This isn´t worth mentioning, but because i wrote something wrong. The input voltage does overvolte and you have to be carefully with it (1,830Volt). The Corevoltage should not be set to adaptive, if you want to set the coremultiplikator over 51.

Maybe it is allways like that on every platform, but i am a bit thumb but i only mean well.

In Google Übersetzer öffnen• 
Feedback geben

post edited by Biosat - 2023/03/23 00:52:15

jeder kriegt was er bestellt.
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/25 15:13:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/03/31 07:43:05
philsward
Motherboard: EVGA X299 FTW K
Processor: i9-10900X
Memory: 64GB
BIOS: 1.28 (Don't care about 1.29... It's a ME firmware update so not gonna help)

I picked up the ICYDOCK ToughArmor MB834M2K-B with the hope of being able to hot swap NVME drives but I cannot for the life of me get the computer to recognize any NVME drives on this device.

I've tried 5 different cables, 4 of them were the same brand, 2 are 10Gtek cables. Both ends are SFF-8643 which should be able to handle the U.2 ports no problem (yes, the MB834M2K-B uses SFF-8643)

I don't have a U.2 drive (or cable for that matter) to test, so that won't be any help...

I quadruple checked that the U.2 ports are enabled.
I tried enabling CPU attached storage for those ports and it still won't recognize anything plugged into them.
I reset the bios to defaults.
I boot to windows, installed the VMD driver and still nothing.
Name it, I've probably already tried it.

If there's a workaround, usually I can find it but not this time. I'm at a complete loss. The manual talks like the U.2 ports don't share with literally anything on the motherboard (which surprised me). Supposedly even the X299 Dark shares lanes with the U.2? I have the GPU installed in PE2 and a 10Gbe network card in PE1. I had a wireless in PE6 and removed it but it didn't help.

Any suggestions or insight?

I have X299 Dark that uses IcyDock NVMe (model MB601M2K-1B) connected to U.2 for hot swap boot without any issues.
I'm using Amphenol cables.
My BIOS settings are:
M.2 WiFi : Disabled
U.2 PU2 : Enabled
M.2 PM2 : M.2 PM2 CPU
M.2 PM1 / U.2 PU1 : Enable M.2 PM1
My BIOS is 1.29 but it worked with previous versions too.

Hope this helps!
philsward
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/30 19:09:35 (permalink)
Thanks all. I grabbed the SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4T in hopes to circumvent the U.2 ports on the board and the card I got (2nd hand) won't even recognize on the X299 or X99 Classified I have so I have a card I can't even use to test the stupid IcyDock. So annoying.

I thought all SFF cables when used with computer stuff were all made the same but apparently some manufacturers will pin them out different just because. I'm wondering if I fried the IcyDock which in-turn is frying whatever is hooked to it. I'm kicking myself for not testing the card before hooking up the cables to the IcyDock.

*rant* I'm about ready to swear off all things computers for a while... 15+ years and virtually zero problems. I've had nothing but problems with stupid little things over the last 6 mo and it's all stuff that is new-to-me. 2nd hand audio card: Dead. Brand new KVM: Problems. Brand new Highpoint SSD7105: Problems. Brandnew PlanetTech converter: Dead. Brand new ASRock Mobo: Dead (after a year). I feel like I'm better off not buying ANYTHING so I don't have to spend the time either trying to make it work or doing a stupid RMA to replace it. Some of these things take a dumb amount of time trying to troubleshoot like the Highpoint and this U.2 problem. *end rant*

Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't messed with the BIOS. I'll get around to it when I get a wild hair, but I have zero confidence it will help which is the reason for the lack of motivation to mess with it.
ZoranC
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1099
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/03/31 00:17:55 (permalink)
philsward
Thanks all. I grabbed the SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4T in hopes to circumvent the U.2 ports on the board and the card I got (2nd hand) won't even recognize on the X299 or X99 Classified I have so I have a card I can't even use to test the stupid IcyDock. So annoying.

I thought all SFF cables when used with computer stuff were all made the same but apparently some manufacturers will pin them out different just because. I'm wondering if I fried the IcyDock which in-turn is frying whatever is hooked to it. I'm kicking myself for not testing the card before hooking up the cables to the IcyDock.

*rant* I'm about ready to swear off all things computers for a while... 15+ years and virtually zero problems. I've had nothing but problems with stupid little things over the last 6 mo and it's all stuff that is new-to-me. 2nd hand audio card: Dead. Brand new KVM: Problems. Brand new Highpoint SSD7105: Problems. Brandnew PlanetTech converter: Dead. Brand new ASRock Mobo: Dead (after a year). I feel like I'm better off not buying ANYTHING so I don't have to spend the time either trying to make it work or doing a stupid RMA to replace it. Some of these things take a dumb amount of time trying to troubleshoot like the Highpoint and this U.2 problem. *end rant*

Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't messed with the BIOS. I'll get around to it when I get a wild hair, but I have zero confidence it will help which is the reason for the lack of motivation to mess with it.

If I were you I would KISS and try solution that has been proven to work (IcyDock I am using with cables I am using) rather than trying to use 2-bay model with card that is not guaranteed as compatible. Or call IcyDock and ask them which card and cable they recommend for your model.
philsward
Re: EVGA X299 FTW K U.2 Ports Not Working 2023/04/06 15:15:58 (permalink)
Slight update

v1.29 bios did nothing to help. As suspected. Neither U.2 slot will recognize anything attached to them.

I picked up the SuperMicro AOC-SLG3-2E4T which wouldn't even recognize in the BIOS, so it was a worthless attempt.

I then decided I had better stay true to the IcyDock recommended HBA's and went with the AOC-SLG3-2E4 (arrived today). Plugged it in and it works flawlessly.

Only downside is that my only left over 16x PEG being used up for an 8x card since these boards weren't designed all that well to distribute CPU lanes... I had the HighpointTech SSD7105 on that slot but it has issues I'm still trying to track down and determine if it's the card or the FTW. Different story for a different day.

post edited by philsward - 2023/04/12 02:01:49
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile