EVGA

Helpful Reply1000 P2 Won't turn on

Author
demonseedxp
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/02/02 10:27:27 (permalink)
I recently bought a 1000 P2 Supernova PSU second hand, only later to discover it was missing a lot of it's modular cables.

So inorder to use it I had to then go buy a new cable kit for it so I went with the Cable Mods kit that was built for the P2.

So after getting in the cables I finally got everything hooked up, only to have my worst fears realized, in that upon turning it on, pressing the power button on the computer nothing happened.

The odd part that still has me baffled is that the motherboard standby light does illuminate, and oddly enough so does it's RGB along with the cases RGB that is connected through a USB header. Which really seemed odd.

When I press the PC power switch I can hear the motherboard relay click as though it's turned on, and it takes a long press to then make it click again, again, as though it was actually running. But not a single fan on the entire rig, including the PSU fan spin up.

I did receive with the PSU the 24pin test connector that jumps the power wire, and even then I'm not seeing the PSU fan turn on. But I'm also aware some devices don't necessarily always turn the fan on immediately, but instead wait until some heat builds up and it's actually needed. What I don't know is, is this one of those devices and could this potentially be normal behavior or no?

The fact that it's turning on the low voltage rails tells me that at least part of the power supply is still operational, but I don't know how to check the 12 volt rails without being able to turn it on.

I don't really know that anyone here can help but I figured in the off chance that somebody's seen behavior such as this before where it clearly has some type of power output that maybe there's a chance someone can help so I figured I'd post what's happening here and see where that takes me.
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 10:44:43 (permalink)
Welcome to the EVGA Forums

IT Could Be ---- 1 bad wire/ connection & the PSU safety is stopping more damage

Test PSU with the 24pin test connector & ONLY the 24pin cable connected to PSU

EVGA - Product Specs - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 1000W List hardware in your PC & OS New build - Or previously working PC?

Your new on the EVGA forums, so that we can give you the correct level of suggestions ... please tell us about your experience level

make sure the ECO switch is in one of the two positions (back of PSU near plug)

https://www.evga.com/products/pdf/220-P2-1000-XR.pdf    (shows fan curve for PSU) less than 40C = zero fan - If ECO is ON

Try testing with the stock cables you did get - IF - the seller is sure they are the original cables?

Not sure what cables you did/did not get - as you did not mention specifics

https://www.evga.com/articles/archive/00743/default.asp#Academy

ECO Mode  @ ~4:37 in Video

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:13:54 (permalink)
Sure, the rig it's self is comprised of a
Asus Prime Z-390-A motherboard
Intel I7-9700K
Cooler Master AIO on the CPU
Corsair Memory - dual 16gb sticks ( not sure off the top of my head the clock speed)
M.2 1TB Samsung 980 NVME SSD
GPU is a MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8GB OC
Gigabyte Aorus PCIe 1x Wifi 6 / Bluetooth 5.0 expansion card
EVGA 1000P2 SuperNOVA Platinum 80+ Power Supply.
OS intended is WINDOWS 11 (But hasn't been installed yet)

Every piece of this rig is new to me, but not new. It's all been bought 2nd hand slowly over time, as I could afford it, and once I finally had everything I needed, all assembled and tested. But so far that hasn't paned out to well for me as we already know.

I'm fairly knowledgeable and have a decent amount of experience building computers. Built my first PC for Windows XP if that tells you anything.

So yeah been around a while, seen a few things. But up to now I've never encountered symptoms like what I'm seeing from this computer. But I'm at a disadvantage because I've never seen any of these components working, so to be honest I'm only assuming the PSU is my first point of failure.

Update to answer a question:

No I do not have a large majority of the stock cables. So I'm also at a disadvantage there, as I can't confirm or deny the cables I have are functional

Can't seem to post link to the buy page but the cables are the CableMod E-Series Classic ModFlex Sleeved Cable Kit for EVGA G5 / G3 / G2 / P2 / T2 (White)
post edited by demonseedxp - 2023/02/02 11:33:10
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:31:18 (permalink)
check this, cover post count till you Can post links & the work around Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:37:51 (permalink)
Cool GTX
heck this, cover post count till you Can post links & the work around
Ok so it seems I don't have rank to post links, but are you suggesting I can't be helped because of that?

I'm very confused
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:39:19 (permalink)
If PSU tests good with the 24-pin Only connected to PSU:  then your going to need to do some bare bones testing

Disconnect Everything except - CPU, cpu cooler, 1 stick RAM, GPU & start button .... does it try to Boot? (only power to 24-pin, CPU 8-pin, GPU (all sockets) & CPU cooler)

Did you/ can you Clear CMOS?

try replacing the coil cell ....  known to cause issues if dead/ weak

Yes, tries to boot - add  KB n Mouse - I've seen bad mouse or KB cause power on issues, test with second known good part

No does NOT try to boot 
- Pull GPU - Try different PCIe cables & PSU PCIe ports --> if still no boot - keep testing after you reinstall GPU

-  Pull MB from case, place on non-conductive surface (dry cardboard box) & test

if Boots, there is a short in the way MB was in case
        if No Joy - check more RAM - 1 at a time & then pull CPU & inspect those contacts - one might be bent under CPU or the cooler was not level or over tightened?

If all looks good under CPU - something could be dead, including MB, CPU - Or - PSU or the new wire set has an issue?

Once it boots, add one device at a time - till the bad cable or device is discovered

demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:51:18 (permalink)
If I'm using the onboard fan as a reference of knowing if the PSU turned on or not, while only connected to the 24pin cable and the test connector on the end, then no, it does not test good.

I have not tested with meter yet
post edited by demonseedxp - 2023/02/02 11:52:20
demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 11:59:01 (permalink)
Sorry just realized what you were referencing to about the ECO switch, and after checking, the PSU fan remains off with the switch in either position
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 12:00:39 (permalink)
demonseedxp
Sorry just realized what you were referencing to about the ECO switch, and after checking, the PSU fan remains off with the switch in either position

NOT good

there is a limited secondhand warranty for PSU - base on when item originally shipped  EVGA Warranty

last two digits of the serial number tell you which category of --> Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)

Register the PSU to your account & then check warranty status  Product Registration

demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 12:15:42 (permalink)
Understood, thanks for trying
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/02 13:17:09 (permalink)
Your welcome,

give an update, when you know more

demonseedxp
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/03 03:27:55 (permalink)
Cool GTX
there is a limited secondhand warranty for PSU - base on when item originally shipped 

last two digits of the serial number tell you which category of --> Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)

Register the PSU to your account & then check warranty status 

So I'm now attempting to register this thing but I'm getting hung up, but by what I do not know.

I've checked the information I put in 5 times, and I'm positive I didn't have any typos yet every time it's returning with
"The serial number isn't part of the part number" then something about being outside the US.

I truly have no clue what it's talking about. Do you?
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/02/03 08:24:01 (permalink)
demonseedxp

So I'm now attempting to register this thing but I'm getting hung up, but by what I do not know.

I've checked the information I put in 5 times, and I'm positive I didn't have any typos yet every time it's returning with
"The serial number isn't part of the part number" then something about being outside the US.

I truly have no clue what it's talking about. Do you?

Maybe it is saying that serial number does not "register in the database" as belonging to that part number?

That would be odd, first thing you would enter is the serial number of the product.  I remember the next screen should list the part number automatically - based on the serial number you previously entered ?

If your sure you did not make a typo in the serial number please contact customer support

(excerpt EVGA warranty page for North America)

Transferable Limited Warranty (Second-Hand Purchasers)

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.* A second-hand purchaser is defined as someone who purchases an EVGA product from an unauthorized reseller. The limited warranty on any Product which was originally shipped from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller as a demo or prize is not transferable to second-hand purchasers and is not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty.
Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date.
The length of the Transferable Limited Warranty is determined by Product according to the suffix associated with each Product's identification number as set forth below and will be measured beginning from the Product's original date of shipment from an EVGA online store, EVGA's official eBay store, or EVGA's official Amazon Marketplace store:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -K0, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -K6, -K7, -K8, -K9, -KR, -KB, -KA, -KF, -GR, -SR, -V0, -V1, -V2, -V3, -V4, -V5, -V6, -V7, -V8, -V9, -VR, -Y0, -Y1, -Y2, -Y3, -Y4, -Y5, -Y6, -Y7, -Y8, -Y9, -X0, -X1, -X2, -X3, -X4, -X5, -X6, -X7, -X8, -X9, -XR
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -L0, -L1, -L2, -L3, -L4, -L5, -L6, -L7, -L8, -L9 -LR
Products described by the following suffixes are not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -RB
*For more warranty information about original and second-hand purchases, please see our FAQ here.

Arkec
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/03/30 10:50:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rjohnson11 2023/03/30 11:10:20
Just to chip in
I have that same PSU since new and it is a solid performer runing a 4090 with no problems

Just got my new CableMod cables and have exactly the same issue.
The PSU clicks and nothing happens.
So I think it is possible that the cable kit is at fault.
I did some checking and it seems that one of the wires on the 24pin in the CableMod kit is wired wrong since it uses a pin that on the original cable is not in use. On the PSU that unused pin I believe is a ground (testing with a multimeter and continuity)

On the CableMod kit I got, there is a 12V wire going to that pin so it is a direct short to ground!
So the click must be a short circuit protection inside the PSU

I am in contact with CableMod about this issue but still waiting to hear back, it might be a problem with diagrams they use or the PSU might be a different revision.
Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10102
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: 1000 P2 Won't turn on 2023/03/30 15:30:10 (permalink)
I am also wondering was this a replacement PSU for one that was no longer working and if so, what was the symptoms of the old one going out?

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile