EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out)

Author
Stolm
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/10/22 14:09:48 (permalink)
Hi, recently purchased a XR1 Lite to replace my cheapo $15 capture card. I am using the capture card to record console footage. Out of the box default settings are very dark with crushed blacks, though according to EVGA's own OBS setup video the defaults are supposed to be what I use. 

I can change the Color Range to Full and the image is no longer dark but it is very washed out. The built-in Contrast/Brightness controls in the "configure video" section of "sources" in obs seems to allow for no fine control. Adjusting Contrast/Brightness just 1 tick seems to throw the whole capture out of whack. 

I have had to use the OBS filter "Color Correction" to do any kind of calibrating, but still the image doesnt look completely right. The blacks are still too dark and missing detail. And I notice alot of exaggerated Color Banding in recordings and the preview window, that aren't present in the raw image.

I updated to the most recent firmware and still no change.

Please Help

Here is a comparison of the Limited Color Range (which is the default) and Full Color Range. (I cant seem to edit a link in for some reason, not sure if thats a forum bug)

post edited by Stolm - 2022/10/22 20:53:47
EVGATech_DavidR
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 318
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/10/26 15:32:47 (permalink)
Typically, the capture device should be seeing and outputting exactly what the HDMI port on the console is outputting. Which consoles have you attempted to capture? New users may not be able to provide image links, but if you can provide a url to an image hosted elsewhere, such as imgur, this may work.
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/10/26 15:59:41 (permalink)
Nah links don't seem to work. I can see them when I preview my post but then when I submit its blank. I will try putting a space in the link and see if i can get around the restriction. (okay that worked. I added a space after the forward slash)

https:// imgur.com/a/f2Jk3A8

My OBS Preview and recordings are definitely not what I see when I switch my input back to the PS4 even though its all running through the Capture Card. 

I have been talking to Customer Support and they seem to think the card is defective and encouraged me to RMA it. I just purchased less than 2 weeks ago, so I think it would make more sense to return through Amazon.

Forgot to mention I am trying to capture on PlayStation 4. I did attempt to capture PS3 but I was also running into HDCP issues even after firmware updates, and the HDCP key software.
post edited by Stolm - 2022/10/26 16:55:43
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/10/26 17:10:07 (permalink)
I'm not sure if this helps with troubleshooting, but I noticed that when I switch from Limited to Full Color Range on the PS4 there is a massive visual difference between the 2 in terms of how dark the image gets. But when viewing through the OBS preview window the change is almost imperceptible. There is a slight kinda greyish hue on dark areas, and I noticed some banding that looks a bit more pronounced on the XMB Menu.

Included screenshots of XMB when switch between Full and Limited Color Ranges on the PS4. (OBS settings the same)

https:// imgur.com/a/EG8cGxN

Note this is what the recording and Preview Window looks like....this is not what I see when I am just using the PS4.
post edited by Stolm - 2022/10/26 17:29:54
EVGATech_DavidR
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 318
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/10/27 09:40:46 (permalink)
Thank you for that. Try setting the color space in the Capture Device properties to Rec.709 and make sure the color range is set to full. If possible, please provide screenshots of the capture device properties window in OBS. You can also make adjustments to the image using a color correction filter in OBS, instead of using the settings in the properties window if the color seems washed out or if the opposite is true and the color is too saturated.
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/11/19 16:16:12 (permalink)
Hey, Im back. Tech Support had me send screenshots of all my OBS settings and had me look at the capture through the windows camera app and encouraged me to return the card as they believed it was faulty. So I sent it back and purchased another...and I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUES! So we can rule out the individual card as faulty.

I am able to calibrate with OBS filters by adjusting the Brightness when Color Range is set to FULL, but the picture still doesnt look completely correct. There is a lifeless look to the color and a almost grey metallic look. If I use Partial Color Range the picture is extremely dark and loses tons of detail, and no amount of filter calibration can fix it, so Full Range is the only viable setting unless there is some fix I dont know of.

Here are the screenshots of the settings you wanted and I included a good example of the color issue i described above (space in the link because I cant post links proper links for some reason)

https:// imgur.com/a/bD0lybA

The Filter calibration is just -3 on Brightness to fix the super washed out look, but you can see that there is a clear lack of color missing. The original has a rich bluish tone whereas the capture seems to be missing it and looks really dull.

Anyways hope somebody can help me figure this out.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2022/11/20 08:11:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Stolm 2022/11/20 13:09:32
You can’t post links because you have 4 posts. Once you hit a certain number of posts, you will be able to post links. This is an anti-spammer feature because spammers like to join and post lots of links, and removing the links removes 99% of spam. Keep breaking up your links as you have been, and you will be able to post full links and images relatively soon.
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2023/01/09 14:01:48 (permalink)
Finally got around to hooking this up to my PlayStation 3...and the Color Range issue is even more terrible than with the PS4. Im currently in the process of fiddling with the PlayStation display settings to see if I can alleviate it, and seems that the PS3 Color Range settings affect the XR1 Lite differently than the PS4. Playing with everything set to Full Range on the console looks fine while playing, but the recording that gets spit out by the capture card is extremely dark (even more so than the PS4). 

I have had to set the PS3 to Limited to correct this issue.

Devs really need to look into this issue and I'm shocked I haven't seen anyone else mention it except a couple random people who DM'd me about their same issue on Reddit. What I see when I'm playing looks nothing like what's captured in regards to Brightness.
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2023/01/10 00:39:48 (permalink)
I loaded up the darkest game I owned on PS3 and this is what I am working with

https:// imgur.com/a/8prE30M

And this is after I have calibrated to the best of my ablility in OBS.. so this is the best its going to get unless there is some fix I do not know of.
Stolm
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2023/01/10 01:10:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2024/01/10 10:23:03
So hopefully this is the final update to this, but I was scrolling through google results for XR1 Lite issues and came upon a reddit post by user PhantomFear talking about how newer firmware had caused is XR1 Pro to become super dark and ugly looking. So I downloaded the oldest firmware I could find on the EVGA site. (The January 2022 Drivers). 

And this is what my capture is looking like now

https:// imgur.com/a/bZAr6pM

I swear I had rolled back firmware already but I guess not. And I guess since my XR1 Lite purchase is so recent that the firmware was newer than Jan/22?

Hopefully devs can address this as I'm sure the firmware updates are useful, but unusable for me in their current state.

Edit: Here is a comparison between the promotional screenshot, XR1 Lite capture on the newest firmware, and what it looks like now on the oldest firmware.

https:// imgur.com/a/EQ8lRNb
post edited by Stolm - 2023/01/10 01:38:08
Jacky161
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: EVGA XR1 Lite | Color Issues (Crushed Blacks or Washed Out) 2023/01/29 17:52:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2024/01/10 10:24:30
I've recently purchased an XR1 Lite and I've encountered this exact issue with colour range issues. On the oldest firmware from the EVGA site (MCU Version v09.0a), there are no crushed blacks and it looks much better. I've tried both v09.0D and v09.0E and both exhibit the crushed black rgb range issue.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile