EVGA

EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away

Author
thrills89
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/12/26 01:31:06 (permalink)
Hello. I have the EVGA CLCx 360 cooler running on full speed for my i9-13900K CPU. 
Motherboard is ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Extreme
Windows 10 Home
I swapped out EVGA's fans with Phanteks for a bit better performance. 

I'm not sure if this is normal but every time I reboot my computer. I see this white warning text on the LCD screen of CLCX but after 6 seconds, that message goes away

"Warning. Connect the USB cable to USB internal connector on the motherboard"
Screenshot Below:
imgur.com/WFhQYiW

I have it connected to the USB header on my motherboard so not sure why that shows. It does show my CPU temp/ cooler temp just like how I set it up on the software. If this is not normal could you please tell me what could be wrong?.
Screenshot showing my temps:
imgur.com/tI46brv

Also, Sometimes when I also reboot my computer the LCD screen just shows EVGA animation logo without the CPU temps showing. Then when I open the software it tells me no device found.. It goes away if I restart my PC again
Screenshot:
imgur.com/FkCVbnS

Here's a short 36 second clip.. You will see it just stay on EVGA animation logo.. Then when I restart pc, it show the CPU temps and no issues with the software
imgur.com/gqVLBnL

post edited by thrills89 - 2022/12/26 08:54:32

13 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 07:44:15 (permalink)
    It is probably waiting for the USB header to initialize after the bios boots. Try going into the bios on the initial boot, and set all usb headers to initialize during boot instead of partial initialization. I had a lot of issues with my asus motherboards not initializing all devices during boot, and having to wait for full initialization as windows booted for device to work.
    thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 08:51:32 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    It is probably waiting for the USB header to initialize after the bios boots. Try going into the bios on the initial boot, and set all usb headers to initialize during boot instead of partial initialization. I had a lot of issues with my asus motherboards not initializing all devices during boot, and having to wait for full initialization as windows booted for device to work.

Thank you! Do you know what section of the bios that setting is in? I saw an option under "boot" settings in bios called "Fast Boot". It read something about initializing all drives,etc. So I just disabled fast boot and the issue with CPU temps not showing up every time is gone for now but I still see the "warning. "Warning. Connect the USB cable to USB internal connector on the motherboard" message for like 3 seconds then goes away.. 
    thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 10:26:24 (permalink)
    I also did a Aida64 stress test on CPU to make sure everything is fine. Set both the fans & pump speed to 90 percent. I ran it for about 20 minutes.. temps on CPU were ranging between 80 to 92 Celcius. 
    Screenshot below of CPU temps on EVGA's software screen
    imgur.com/Rw9TxaC

Aida64's results: Showing 9 percent CPU throttling with a message of "overheating detected"
    Screenshot below
    imgur.com/w7x52SH

CPU temp reaching 90c on EVGA's LCD screen
    Screenshot: imgur.com/VzPRLpd

Coolant temp looks fine at 29c On EVGA's LCD Screen
    Screenshot: imgur.com/QgUN1Gw

My room temperature is around 70 to 72 degrees as well

Basically would like to know if this all looks normal and EVGAs cooler is working correctly.. seeing that CPU temps were reaching 90 but never got a BSOD

Also forgot to mention I had replaced the stock thermal paste of EVGA's with Thermal Grizzly instead
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 11:14:02 (permalink)
    I honestly do not remember where the option was, but I will try to look at screenshots of the BIOS later and see if I can find the exact setting for you.
    thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 12:00:12 (permalink)
    Ok thank you! In case you need more information

No overclocking on BIOS. Everything is pretty much set to "Auto" except I'm using XMP I profile for RAM

Screenshot of bios information (running the latest Asus rog Maximus z790 extreme bios)
    imgur.com/jtjiXXz

Screenshots of voltage information on Bios
    imgur.com/yHGt84l
    imgur.com/BRfwru1

Screenshots of CPU Frequency & XMP I profile I switched to for RAM via BIOS. They have a XMP II option but decided to just use XMP I
    imgur.com/Uh2yNEA
    imgur.com/MNbIc4t

Screenshot of i9-13900K CPU reaching 4.89 ghz when running Aida stress test with AIDA statistics
    imgur.com/xE6WsZZ

Screenshot Of CPU in an idle state at 4.42ghz with AIDA statistics
    imgur.com/3Zag7dq
    thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 14:36:55 (permalink)
    Another quick update about the high temps when running Aida. I read that ASUS boards tend to make the i9-3900K CPUS run hot and it was best to just not use ASUS Multi.. but instead set to "enforce all limits" on bios. After I did that. I ran another stress test and this time I didnt see the "overheating detected" message and no throttling but still shows high temps ranging from 75 to 93 degrees Celcius. So im guessing thats pretty normal or is something still off?
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/26 23:28:49 (permalink)
    It could be that the header would need to be set to legacy or it could just be that it’s taking some time for the USB to come online.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/27 00:10:53 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    It could be that the header would need to be set to legacy or it could just be that it’s taking some time for the USB to come online.

Thank you. Is that just basically switching to Legacy mode on Bios? Your second advice could be true. Maybe 2.0 headers on the new asus boards arent fast enough on boot?
    thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2022/12/27 15:26:19 (permalink)
    Hoggle

Just a quick update. I found an option under USB via BIOS.. Called USB Legacy support. It was already enabled. I disabled to see but still shows that "warning" message for like 3 seconds every time I start up my PC. I switched it back to "enabled". I also tried switching to "Windows UEFI" mode on bios but that didnt help either. I switched it back to "other os". Everything still works, so Im guessing it could be just my asus z790 motherboard doesnt detect the USB 2.0 headers fast enough when it quickly shows that warning message and then goes away
    gravedigger78
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 964
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2023/01/05 18:48:10 (permalink)
    Does your CLC software say it is a clcx240 when you actually have a 360?
    mhill78
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2023/01/14 15:13:48 (permalink)
    thrills89
    Hoggle

Just a quick update. I found an option under USB via BIOS.. Called USB Legacy support. It was already enabled. I disabled to see but still shows that "warning" message for like 3 seconds every time I start up my PC. I switched it back to "enabled". I also tried switching to "Windows UEFI" mode on bios but that didnt help either. I switched it back to "other os". Everything still works, so Im guessing it could be just my asus z790 motherboard doesnt detect the USB 2.0 headers fast enough when it quickly shows that warning message and then goes away

I had a similar issue today when I installed the CLCX 280.  All seemed good and golden with my connections / cables.  I have a EVGA Z690 Classified and swapped the front side USB 2.0 around to the other port and moved the USB cable for the pump into the first port, same thing - Warning about the USB Cables.  I got it to work AFTER I cleared the CMOS and let the CMOS load defaults.  It booted up into BIOS.  I saved, exited w/ defaults.  Booted back into Windows and updated my BIOS to latest.  Let it flash and power cycle as needed, then all fine and well.  

I do have another issue on this board with the USB 3.0 header pins and my USB Header cable from my case that caused Windows to STOP code and crash.  But I think that is an issue I will work with another day.  I disconnected that USB 3.0 header cable from the port on the board by the RAM modules and the system is booting, stable and keeps my CPU < 50C at load.
    post edited by mhill78 - 2023/01/14 15:17:12

thrills89
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2023/01/15 08:45:15 (permalink)
    gravedigger78

No. Mines says CLCx 360. I kept getting this message about updating firmware but every time I clicked on update/install.. It just never installed the latest version for some reason. So I just uninstalled the software and downloaded the latest version from evga's site. I no longer get that update message. 

https://imgur.com/Lf78Eq4

Firmware says 0.0.77.0

mhill78

I had a similar issue today when I installed the CLCX 280.  All seemed good and golden with my connections / cables.  I have a EVGA Z690 Classified and swapped the front side USB 2.0 around to the other port and moved the USB cable for the pump into the first port, same thing - Warning about the USB Cables.  I got it to work AFTER I cleared the CMOS and let the CMOS load defaults.  It booted up into BIOS.  I saved, exited w/ defaults.  Booted back into Windows and updated my BIOS to latest.  Let it flash and power cycle as needed, then all fine and well.  

I do have another issue on this board with the USB 3.0 header pins and my USB Header cable from my case that caused Windows to STOP code and crash.  But I think that is an issue I will work with another day.  I disconnected that USB 3.0 header cable from the port on the board by the RAM modules and the system is booting, stable and keeps my CPU < 50C at load.

my EVGA Temps on the LCD never show up until im fully logged in to windows.. During boot it just shows the EVGA animation. I still get the warning at first boot for 2-3seconds. I might have to mess cmos bios if you no longer get the "Warning" message on boot up
    mhill78
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: EVGA CLCx 360 "Warning" message every time computer boots up but then goes away 2023/01/15 10:57:29 (permalink)
    thrills89
    gravedigger78

No. Mines says CLCx 360. I kept getting this message about updating firmware but every time I clicked on update/install.. It just never installed the latest version for some reason. So I just uninstalled the software and downloaded the latest version from evga's site. I no longer get that update message. 

https://imgur.com/Lf78Eq4

Firmware says 0.0.77.0

mhill78

my EVGA Temps on the LCD never show up until im fully logged in to windows.. During boot it just shows the EVGA animation. I still get the warning at first boot for 2-3seconds. I might have to mess cmos bios if you no longer get the "Warning" message on boot up

Well, I wish I had good news.  My CLCX has bent pins on the connector for the cap, thus it would lose connection between the cap and pump.  This cooler is very difficult to judge if the cap connects properly to the pump, thus assuring a solid connection.  I have too much in the way to get a good visual - RAM, i/o cooler, PWM coolers.  And my case isn't easy to work in sometimes (EVGA DG-87).  I went out and emergency bought an air cooler, so I have a functioning computer.  

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile