EVGA

ICX PWR4 99C?

Author
lazereth
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/12/04 12:27:04 (permalink)
This card while running games like the long dark, or Quake II RTX will Run This chip (PWR4) up to 99C where bios kills fan curve and ramps the fans to 100%. I've been told that the chip is on the back side of card and doesn't see active cooling. I'm not afraid of high temps. The card isn't throttling. Not Crashing. Whats getting on my nerves is the fans might as well be locked at 100% when gaming. which is annoying. Anyone have some input to drop a few C. Every other chip sits happy between 70-85C
Z690 Hero
3080ti
Cosmos II case with all the fans. including (2) 200MM (pulling the side panels does nothing)
1000W thor platinum II PSU
high latency DDR5
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/12/04 12:42:24

10 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 12:54:30 (permalink)
    That might be a VRM sensor. The VRMs are rated at something like 120C. The thermal putty might not be properly applied. Someone here might chime in, but you can always call or email EVGA and ask - https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/ 
    post edited by arestavo - 2022/12/04 12:57:35
    lazereth
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 13:05:53 (permalink)
    arestavo
    That might be a VRM sensor. The VRMs are rated at something like 120C. The thermal putty might not be properly applied. Someone here might chime in, but you can always call or email EVGA and ask -  

I reapplied thermal pads putty and grease. It's the bios taking over the fan curve really. the card sits there and screams for a single chip. if someone could point out the chip location, I would love to try and add putty to it and use the backplate as a heat sync.
    xuqi99
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 13:51:16 (permalink)
    https://forums.evga.com/E...-Sensors-m3553533.aspx

Install & run precision app to view sensor locations for your card.
    post edited by xuqi99 - 2022/12/04 13:52:50
    lazereth
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 14:25:28 (permalink)
    xuqi99

Install & run precision app to view sensor locations for your card.

I exclusively use precision. The location is on the back of the card. There's a lot going on back there. I do not know which chip it is. ICX gives a vague location. What's interesting is no one else seems to have this issue with PWR4 chip overheating or there would be more people asking about it when their fans are screaming at 100% while the gpu die is sitting at 70C.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 17:01:44 (permalink)
    It may be a bad sensor, or just out of tune from the rest. At full idle, with nothing running, are all sensors generally the same temperature?

I had one ICX sensor that was around 20c higher under load, at all times, and come to find out it was just off all the time because it wasn’t equalized at the same baseline temperature or something, so it was reading high even at idle.

Looking at PCB images, I don’t see many components on the back of the PCB that would get hot. The 3090 cards had memory on the back that got hot, but the 3080ti does not.

Looking at Precision X1, PWR4 is the memory controller, not on the back of the card. If the location in Precision is correct, there isn’t even components on the back of the card in the area where PWR4 is located.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/12/04 17:03:25
    lazereth
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 17:59:53 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    It may be a bad sensor, or just out of tune from the rest. At full idle, with nothing running, are all sensors generally the same temperature?

I had one ICX sensor that was around 20c higher under load, at all times, and come to find out it was just off all the time because it wasn’t equalized at the same baseline temperature or something, so it was reading high even at idle.

Looking at PCB images, I don’t see many components on the back of the PCB that would get hot. The 3090 cards had memory on the back that got hot, but the 3080ti does not.

Looking at Precision X1, PWR4 is the memory controller, not on the back of the card. If the location in Precision is correct, there isn’t even components on the back of the card in the area where PWR4 is located.

At idle all chips are within 3C of each other. Right now lowest is 29C at the die. Highest is 33c at PWR4. I contacted an evga rep who stated that chip was on the back. When I reapplied everything, there was nothing out of the ordinary. I've done some testing and it seems cyberpunk or FFVII Remaster or even hitman III will only bring the chip up to around 80C. Other games the chip will go as high as 99C where the fans seem to stabilize the temp. I honestly dont mind if I see those numbers. I can't control the fans after the chip hits 95C and the bios takes over the fan curve. I would love to get my hands on a custom bios flash with a -10C offset on that chip.
    arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/04 18:30:02 (permalink)
    lazereth
    At idle all chips are within 3C of each other. Right now lowest is 29C at the die. Highest is 33c at PWR4. I contacted an evga rep who stated that chip was on the back. When I reapplied everything, there was nothing out of the ordinary. I've done some testing and it seems cyberpunk or FFVII Remaster or even hitman III will only bring the chip up to around 80C. Other games the chip will go as high as 99C where the fans seem to stabilize the temp. I honestly dont mind if I see those numbers. I can't control the fans after the chip hits 95C and the bios takes over the fan curve. I would love to get my hands on a custom bios flash with a -10C offset on that chip.

Well, if EVGA says that it's on the back of the card... If you have a spare fan (80/120/140mm) plug it into your motherboard and set it on the back of the card blowing down. That's what I did to keep my 3090's backside VRAM cool, and perhaps it'll help your PWR4 sensor keep cooler / keep the fans at more reasonable noise levels.
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/05 10:30:56 (permalink)
    lazereth

We unfortunately do not provide any custom BIOS for this GPU but if you are concerned about the card we can simply offer warranty for it. 
    xuqi99
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/05 14:17:31 (permalink)
    At the general area where the the sensor is supposed to be, do you current have any thermal pad material between it and the heatsink?

If not, I suggest placing some there, then checking the temperature afterwards.

I don't use this particular card, but it wouldn't hurt to place thermal pad on the backside in the same area, between the PCB and the backplate. Anything that would dissipate heat from the area should help.

Your original description is somewhat vague as to what exactly you replaced/renewed on the GPU. Was it just the thermal paste between the GPU and the heatsink, or additional thermal pads on memory, VRM, etc. area?

If you replaced the pads, are they of good quality and most importantly the correct height? I know of cards where even a .5mm (smaller than it should be) difference in the pads provide less than ideal contact. Using something larger (even by .5mm) can produce similarly problematic results, as it can then affect other points of contact.

https://www.amazon.com.au...0922HQX8Q/  
    lazereth
    Re: ICX PWR4 99C? 2022/12/05 15:36:21 (permalink)
    xuqi99
    At the general area where the the sensor is supposed to be, do you current have any thermal pad material between it and the heatsink?

If not, I suggest placing some there, then checking the temperature afterwards.

I don't use this particular card, but it wouldn't hurt to place thermal pad on the backside in the same area, between the PCB and the backplate. Anything that would dissipate heat from the area should help.

Your original description is somewhat vague as to what exactly you replaced/renewed on the GPU. Was it just the thermal paste between the GPU and the heatsink, or additional thermal pads on memory, VRM, etc. area?

If you replaced the pads, are they of good quality and most importantly the correct height? I know of cards where even a .5mm (smaller than it should be) difference in the pads provide less than ideal contact. Using something larger (even by .5mm) can produce similarly problematic results, as it can then affect other points of contact.

https://www.amazon.com.au...0922HQX8Q/  

I purchased new pads and putty directly from EVGA. I ordered evga frostbite 2 from amazon as evga's storefront was out.
    I ended up using leftover putty and applying it at the memory solder joints and also a few chips on the backside of the pcb. (the chips within the area that ICX says it should be) by using the backplate as an improvised heatsink i was able to bring the PWR4 chip down 4C.
    The card was overheating at that chip out of the box. The card has the same problem after reapplying thermals. The chip over heats with some games, not all. The best I can do is reduce power target 10% while playing titles that overheat that chip. This card is an RMA card. I don't want to RMA this one too.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile