EVGA

AnsweredEVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver

Author
Unlox
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/10/28 05:16:30 (permalink)
Today I updated my EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra to the latest 526.47 NVIDIA driver, and I keep EVGA's Precision open in the background to keep fan curves running so it was running during the driver update. So after I updated, I noticed sub 30 FPS after the driver update, which was jarring. This was in all games, so I rolled back the driver, and the issue still occurred on the old driver. 

After asking around on Reddit I found out this is an issue that occurs if EVGA Precision is running during an NVIDIA driver update. 

When you install a driver update while precision is still open the power target can be decreased to minimum because its wrongfully checks against an invalid / null value in the period where the driver is unloaded and transitions to the new driver.

This occurred to me today but also it has happened to other users with previous installs:
Game Ready Driver 511.17 Unofficial FAQ/Discussion - Only works with 3080 12GB : nvidia (reddit.com)

Sure enough, after checking the power target it was set to the lowest, raised it back to 100, and it worked great. 

Can EVGA either kick this information to NVIDIA to fix this, or is this something EVGA needs to update the Precision X1 software to prevent?

Any help would be appreciated, and I would love to see this addressed.
post edited by Unlox - 2022/10/28 05:17:32
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/10/28 05:39:11 (permalink)
Close precision when you update drivers.
Unlox
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/10/28 05:47:40 (permalink)
the_Scarlet_one
Close precision when you update drivers.

Surely you can understand why this isn't helpful to someone completely unaware? 

I thought the card was bricked or damaged after rolling back to the previous driver, and it still exhibited the same issue.

Had that single random Reddit post not existed, I would still be dealing with this issue, as it is not mentioned anywhere else. I came to the forums here to bring this up with the team at EVGA to help everyone out and know this issue exists.

This is not an issue that owners are warned about while installing EVGA's Precision X1 at all. As a software developer myself, this can literally be an automated thing that when it detects an NVIDIA update running, it can disable Precision X1 until being rebooted. 
post edited by Unlox - 2022/10/28 05:54:21
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10329
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/10/28 06:47:59 (permalink)
It's mentioned several times in a few subforums here.  Most software installs tell you it's recommended to close all running programs before installing.  I don't recall seeing that when installing Nvidia drivers though.  It should.  I just automatically do it.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/10/28 18:46:49 (permalink)
Unlox

Surely you can understand why this isn't helpful to someone completely unaware? 

I thought the card was bricked or damaged after rolling back to the previous driver, and it still exhibited the same issue.

Had that single random Reddit post not existed, I would still be dealing with this issue, as it is not mentioned anywhere else. I came to the forums here to bring this up with the team at EVGA to help everyone out and know this issue exists.

This is not an issue that owners are warned about while installing EVGA's Precision X1 at all. As a software developer myself, this can literally be an automated thing that when it detects an NVIDIA update running, it can disable Precision X1 until being rebooted. 

Closing software for the driver you are updating applies to all software, not just precision. Precision likely leverages some of the driver controls, and when you leave software open while doing the driver update, you are removing something the software is using and reinstalling without the software knowing what is happening. This is a standard across the industry,

Afterburner is GPU control software just like Precision: https://www.reddit.com/r/...pp&utm_name=iossmf

Check out that thread. That’s from 2015. That was a 2 second google search about GPU drivers and overclocking software.

Hope this helps in the future.
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/10/28 18:50:03
EVGA_Lee
  • Total Posts : 4247
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/11/15 14:05:39 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby BizSAR 2022/11/17 09:21:03
Just to sort of close out this discussion:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5408
Crimtide
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/12/01 12:55:45 (permalink)
What's crazy is that I had this happen to me updating to 526.98, and it also stopped PX1 from auto starting with OS after a reboot.  I was so confused on why my FPS went from 144 to 5-70.  I submitted a tech support ticket, and was offered an RMA to send me a replacement 3080 without doing any additional troubleshooting beyond removing drivers with DDU and reinstalling then.  Never touched PX1.  I didn't see this forum post or the nvidia post anywhere until now.  I did however find that PX1 power limit was set to 26 when I finally got it up and going and that was the issue.  Installing nvidia drivers.  In the past 20+ years I've never closed GPU software to update GPU drivers, and I've never had this problem.  I even submitted a question to EVGA in my account after figuring this out on my own to remove my RMA request, and in their reply, it appears as if they were unaware of this issue as well.  I was told they would forward my info to the dev/engi team and try to recreate the issue to tell if it's a problem with PX1 or a problem with the Nvidia driver update.
post edited by Crimtide - 2022/12/01 12:57:20
arugula177
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA Precision Issue - Reseting Power Limit Target When Upgrading to New NVIDIA Driver 2022/12/03 18:51:55 (permalink)
I would like to add that this happened to me for the very first time updating to the current driver 527.37. I always use DDU prior to updating and before I restart PC in safe mode to run DDU I always disable internet adapter as well as disable the startup task for X1. So this way its not running at all when I boot in normal mode again to avoid any such conflicts as mentioned above. Once display driver successfully installs I re-enable the task for X1 and reboot PC.

I have been using X1 (precision XOC) for awhile. First time using was with a GTX 690 and have always had it running with all my cards since. Never did I encounter the issue where both power target and temp sliders were moved all the way down. Didnt even notice until I played A plague Tale Requiem for the first time and was getting 17FPS. Checked X1 (currently on ver 1.3.1, re-bar disabled) and sure enough both sliders were all the way down. Very strange as the profile loaded correctly when I did it manually. I restarted PC just to check and it was fine again with a proper locked 60Hz frame rate in game. So this was def an odd event.

Wondering if this is a new bug with the 525 series driver and X1?
post edited by arugula177 - 2022/12/03 19:02:33

ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz, 32GB G.SKILL DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, WD Black NVMe 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Acer K272HUL, Win 10 64-bit Pro
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile