EVGA

Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards?

Author
CobraCommand
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/11/20 14:19:38 (permalink)
Hi all,

So im waiting for the EVGA Z790 classified mb.
Looking at the previous Z690 classified it had NO ram QVL which is a BIG bummer and kind of un acceptable if you ask me. We all know how finicky some MB's are with certain RAM.

(this is not about the Z790 classified mb but EVGA mb's in general like the Z590, Z690 or other chipsets and yeah incl the Z790 when it comes...)

So im asking you guys what the best course of action is to get the best, stable, reliable ram for say the upcoming EVGA Z790 classified mb, if there is yet again no QVL?
So i heard you can visit the ram manufacturers QVL listings to see if it works on certain mb's. But honestly the MB manufacturer should do that since they know the MB better than the ram manufacturer...

Anyway i also heard that G-Skill brand go well with EVGA boards is this true?
I was always a Corsair guy when it comes down to RAM. This time around i just want a good stable 100% compatible ram with either the upcoming Dark or Classified MB.

And please no "just get any DDR5 ram you like" reason why = "We all know how finicky some MB's are with certain RAM". So if people know from experience which brand of ram go well with EVGA mb please share it here. After awhile people will know which brand has the highest success rate with EVGA boards. Thanks in advance.
post edited by CobraCommand - 2022/11/20 14:23:04

9 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/21 08:02:55 (permalink)
    There are no “brands that go really well with EVGA boards” so to speak. You are trying to generalize something that isn’t really quantifiable. You mention Z590, Z690 and Z790 well for starters they don’t all support the same memory standard as one supports DDR4 and the others support DDR5 when you narrow it down to just EVGA boards and secondly it really doesn’t matter the ”brand” of memory as much as it matters what ICs the memory uses. For instance it was widely known that with DDR4 the best memory was generally RAM that used Samsung B-die ICs and now with DDR5 it’s generally regarded that RAM using SK-Hynix M-die are the best with regards to timings and clock speeds. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/21 15:14:15 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    There are no “brands that go really well with EVGA boards” so to speak. You are trying to generalize something that isn’t really quantifiable. You mention Z590, Z690 and Z790 well for starters they don’t all support the same memory standard as one supports DDR4 and the others support DDR5 when you narrow it down to just EVGA boards and secondly it really doesn’t matter the ”brand” of memory as much as it matters what ICs the memory uses. For instance it was widely known that with DDR4 the best memory was generally RAM that used Samsung B-die ICs and now with DDR5 it’s generally regarded that RAM using SK-Hynix M-die are the best with regards to timings and clock speeds. 

Thx for the reply,

I did not generalize anything. I asked specifically best brands that has been known to go well with EVGA boards regardless of memory type ie ddr4 or 5 don't know why you would mention this of course i know the difference between chipsets and their ram type. I did mention former chipsets like the Z590 and up to have an idea which brands go well with EVGA mb's. But you said there are no "best brands for a certain mb" which is ok. Even the best ram that works 100% can be incompatible with a certain MB, even if the mb is 100% working fine it just needs a ram it likes so to speak....Its not about raw speed or low latency im asking stability reliability that go well with a EVGA board from possible a certain brand

The issue is no QVL is listed for example the Z690 Classified. Most people know how finicky mb's can be with ram i for one do not want to hassle with ram that the mb does not like while another set of ram has no issue but to get there takes trial and error which honestly i have no time for. I always exclusively check QVL for RAM i dont deviate from that in all of my previous rigs.

To go through loops (LIKE THIS) is unacceptable EVGA should know this if you go to Asus or Gigabyte or MSI for example they ALL have a ram QVL listing for all their MB's. This takes away the trial and error knowing that if a ram is listed on their QVL you can be assured it should work unless the ram is faulty. The reason i said G-Skill goes well with EVGA is that they have a relationship with each other ie overclocking competition this ive read some years ago, hence i asked.
    CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/21 16:17:25 (permalink)
    CobraCommand
    CraptacularOne

Thx for the reply,

I did not generalize anything. I asked specifically best brands that has been known to go well with EVGA boards regardless of memory type ie ddr4 or 5 don't know why you would mention this of course i know the difference between chipsets and their ram type. I did mention former chipsets like the Z590 and up to have an idea which brands go well with EVGA mb's. But you said there are no "best brands for a certain mb" which is ok. Even the best ram that works 100% can be incompatible with a certain MB, even if the mb is 100% working fine it just needs a ram it likes so to speak....Its not about raw speed or low latency im asking stability reliability that go well with a EVGA board from possible a certain brand

The issue is no QVL is listed for example the Z690 Classified. Most people know how finicky mb's can be with ram i for one do not want to hassle with ram that the mb does not like while another set of ram has no issue but to get there takes trial and error which honestly i have no time for. I always exclusively check QVL for RAM i dont deviate from that in all of my previous rigs.

To go through loops (LIKE THIS) is unacceptable EVGA should know this if you go to Asus or Gigabyte or MSI for example they ALL have a ram QVL listing for all their MB's. This takes away the trial and error knowing that if a ram is listed on their QVL you can be assured it should work unless the ram is faulty. The reason i said G-Skill goes well with EVGA is that they have a relationship with each other ie overclocking competition this ive read some years ago, hence i asked.

Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about. There are no "brands" that are more compatible with EVGA motherboards. You can have 2 Corsair kits of memory for instance both rated for the same speed but one may use SK Hynix ICs and the other may use Micron or Samsung, one may work and clock better while one won't despite them all being "Corsair" brand. The brand is irrelevant, the ICs the memory uses is what actually matters. 

The memory controller hasn't been on the motherboard for quite a long time now, so it's really not even the motherboard itself as much as it's the IMC on your CPU that will determine your memory capability. Sure things like trace topology or PCB layers will help improve signal integrity but by and large its your CPU itself that actually controls your memory. The motherboard may have some generic timings to try for some preprogrammed modules however if it doesn't have your specific brand memory in it's look up table it will run a brief memory training subroutine that will boot the memory or default to the JEDEC standard timings and speeds that's programmed into every memory kit ever made. From there you can load whatever XMP profile your memory has loaded onto it. 

Intel CPUs haven't been finicky with RAM for quite some time. It's essentially plug and play with the vast majority of memory these days. It's AMD where you may run into some things like their new EXPO profiles for their AM5 boards that some memory may not have programmed in. For instance in my ASUS X670E board I cannot just load the overclocked 6400Mhz profile for my RAM because my board will not read it. I have to manually dial in the timings and speeds if I want anything more than the standard JEDEC 4800Mhz default profile. 

I'll repeat it again because you're probably not going to read any of that or even understand it. There are no brands that are more or less compatible with EVGA boards, it doesn't work that way. You're looking for answers that simply don't exist. 

If all you want is the base JEDEC standard then you can in fact choose whatever brand of memory you want and be fine with stability and reliability. There isn't a memory module produced that doesn't have the JEDEC standard profiles programmed into them. 
    post edited by CraptacularOne - 2022/11/21 16:20:28

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11075
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/21 16:48:43 (permalink)
    It seems like memory today is not like years ago when systems were finicky.
    I have had very good luck on my boards of all makes, with G-skill, Corsair and Patriot Viper Steel series ram.
    G-skill cust service is great. A real live person answered the phone 2nd ring, told them my issue and what I did to troubleshoot.
    Gve me a RMA right away and even sent me a step up kit of memory DDR4 3200 to DDR4 3600.
    I have a bunch of systems running now in my house 15systems or so give or take and that's the memory I use.
    The MBs are Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and SuperMicro.
    None of them seem to be picky with any of the memory sticks I use, though some systems OC the mem better than others.
    I would say that's the controller on the CPU rather than the MB its self.

So In a nutshell buy good quality ram of your favorite mfg. and what's on sale to get the best value. I believe you will be fine.
    Good luck

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/22 15:14:50 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    CobraCommand
    CraptacularOne

Thx for the reply,

Clearly you don't know what I'm talking about. There are no "brands" that are more compatible with EVGA motherboards. You can have 2 Corsair kits of memory for instance both rated for the same speed but one may use SK Hynix ICs and the other may use Micron or Samsung, one may work and clock better while one won't despite them all being "Corsair" brand. The brand is irrelevant, the ICs the memory uses is what actually matters. 

The memory controller hasn't been on the motherboard for quite a long time now, so it's really not even the motherboard itself as much as it's the IMC on your CPU that will determine your memory capability. Sure things like trace topology or PCB layers will help improve signal integrity but by and large its your CPU itself that actually controls your memory. The motherboard may have some generic timings to try for some preprogrammed modules however if it doesn't have your specific brand memory in it's look up table it will run a brief memory training subroutine that will boot the memory or default to the JEDEC standard timings and speeds that's programmed into every memory kit ever made. From there you can load whatever XMP profile your memory has loaded onto it. 

Intel CPUs haven't been finicky with RAM for quite some time. It's essentially plug and play with the vast majority of memory these days. It's AMD where you may run into some things like their new EXPO profiles for their AM5 boards that some memory may not have programmed in. For instance in my ASUS X670E board I cannot just load the overclocked 6400Mhz profile for my RAM because my board will not read it. I have to manually dial in the timings and speeds if I want anything more than the standard JEDEC 4800Mhz default profile. 

I'll repeat it again because you're probably not going to read any of that or even understand it. There are no brands that are more or less compatible with EVGA boards, it doesn't work that way. You're looking for answers that simply don't exist. 

If all you want is the base JEDEC standard then you can in fact choose whatever brand of memory you want and be fine with stability and reliability. There isn't a memory module produced that doesn't have the JEDEC standard profiles programmed into them. 

Thank you for your time.

post edited by CobraCommand - 2022/11/22 15:30:32
    CobraCommand
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/22 15:22:39 (permalink)
    bill1024
    It seems like memory today is not like years ago when systems were finicky.
    I have had very good luck on my boards of all makes, with G-skill, Corsair and Patriot Viper Steel series ram.
    G-skill cust service is great. A real live person answered the phone 2nd ring, told them my issue and what I did to troubleshoot.
    Gve me a RMA right away and even sent me a step up kit of memory DDR4 3200 to DDR4 3600.
    I have a bunch of systems running now in my house 15systems or so give or take and that's the memory I use.
    The MBs are Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI and SuperMicro.
    None of them seem to be picky with any of the memory sticks I use, though some systems OC the mem better than others.
    I would say that's the controller on the CPU rather than the MB its self.

So In a nutshell buy good quality ram of your favorite mfg. and what's on sale to get the best value. I believe you will be fine.
    Good luck

Thanks for the reply,

I see so the impact of QVL listings nowadays is not that important anymore. Im coming from a rig 7 years old so things have changed when it comes down to RAM or the controllers they use. Same as the other poster said maybe im from an age long past gone lol where QVL was important. 15 systems at least you can verify that you had no issues with ram did you used the QVL ram listing or not?

So G-Skill has good customer service thats great news good customer service is always a huge pro.
    I love EVGA boards so i will get a high end DDR5 at high speed 6000 to 7000hz with low CAS should be enough for my needs.

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11075
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/22 20:49:01 (permalink)
    No I never even looked at the QVL listings. I just buy name brand memory that I can find on sale.
    I do look at the CPU list to make sure the CPU is compatible cause on some boards I use unlocked Xeons like the E5-1660V3 basically the same as an I7-5960x on my EVGA x99 Classified boards. I try to buy used since I run so many systems. 
    And yeah G-skill cust. service is top notch. At least when I had to use them a couple years ago.
    I have quite a bit of G-skill memory in use and only had to return one bad stick, sent in the set, they sent back a little bit better set than what I sent in.
    Enjoy your new build.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

ZoranC
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1099
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/26 10:36:30 (permalink)
    CobraCommandAnyway i also heard that G-Skill brand go well with EVGA boards is this true? I was always a Corsair guy when it comes down to RAM.

FWIW my experience trying to use Corsair memory on X299 Dark has been very bad. At the same time G.Skill memory that was listed by them as compatible worked flawlessly. So I'm guessing if you go with G.Skill's memory that is on their compatible list you will be very likely fine.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Best brands of RAM that go really wel with EVGA motherboards? 2022/11/27 01:09:29 (permalink)
    I go for major name brands Corsair, G.Skill,, Patriot and the like.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile