EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA Z790 Classified questions...

Author
CobraCommand
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/11/07 17:44:42 (permalink)
Hi all,

Waiting on this MB to be released and hopefully not insanely (over) priced.

Anyway after 2 previous EVGA motherboards that served me very well with no hickups stable and reliable (with some minor bugs but easy to solve).

So i read the more PCB layers the better right? However i will not OC the cpu (i9-13900K) because i don't need it yet, so a board with multiple layers benefit overclockers.
Since im not overclocking and prioritize stability, reliability yet the EVGA Z790 Classified comes with a 12 layer PCB.
What are the other benefits for having 12 layers MB PCB other than for good clean overclocks?

I did not own the previous MB the EVGA Z690 (heck start from Z390) series what can users say about those boards when it comes down to stability and reliability?

I just don't want hassle BS will play games, use the QVL listed DDR5, high end PSU probably the upcoming Seasonic Vertex atx3.0 or new line of EVGA psu's IF they come... So stability and reliability are important for me, OC will come later when i really need it (thats years from now). Typical i use my MB for about 5 or longer years.

Your feedback is welcome thank you.
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/11/09 08:26:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CobraCommand 2022/11/19 13:03:50
I have a z690 Classified. The only thing it really lacks on the z690 Dark as far as I use it (not XOC use) are the rotated socket and 2 memory slots instead of 4. I only use 2 slots anyway so I would have benefited potentially from only having two slots that can utilize a better circuit trace layout and thus host higher speed memory.

But I think your question is really why would you buy an EVGA z790 classified over some other brand's cheaper motherboard so let me shift over to that

If you're going to run stock settings (or even a very mild OC), you will probably be just as happy with a cheaper board, but there are some things that would draw me personally to the EVGA boards:

1. Warranty/support. I tend to base decisions on things like this to reviews and what I know about customer support. Most of the time when you buy a high end product, it just works and you hope to never need support, but there's always (and I do mean always) some percentage of parts that will have a problem, defect, or a maybe a compatibility issue or something and how that company handles those situations is important. I've bought many EVGA products over the years and while I've had a few problems and a few things I've not been super pleased with, they have overall been exemplary in customer support. I know when I buy something from them that if it fails or has workmanship issues, they'll take care of it. That's a huge deal for me. They also have, through the extended warranties especially, a longer warranty program than anybody else I've seen.

2. Performance. We've already covered that if you're running stock settings, the extra bells and whistles may not be apparent to you, but there's a benefit I'll point out. The VRMs are generally so well designed that they normally would need zero cooling whatsoever. They still put really good cooling on everything though...what that means to me is that I'm running the motherboard with the absolute minimum stress possible. I'm not running a VRM close to it's max temperature or current and then wondering why it died after 2 years. These were made for overclocking, which means they don't even break a sweat for normal use. So that sort of thing tends to lead to long-term stability. I'll add in here that the thicker the board, the stiffer it generally is. This can help with rigidity when mounting water blocks or even the massive GPUs these days as thinner boards will flex more and cause problems. It's a rare thing for it to be a problem with other boards, so this is a very minor thing, but it can be helpful. Added to this on the newer boards is the metal backplate. Pros and cons here as it is a little harder to maneuver and fit into some cases depending on the motherboard tray, but it can add even more rigidity to things. it also looks reeeeaaally nice, but the first time you pick up a motherboard this thick that also has a backplate, you will be surprised at how heavy it is lol.

3. Looks. I put it in a glass paneled case that I sit right next to while gaming and I really like the looks of it so that was part of the decision. I really like the darker more industrial or rugged look that EVGA boards have and I really like that they use more metal than plastic, unlike most brands out there.

So one thing I'll say against the Classified boards now...size! These are not ATX sized and you may run into some issues fitting them into some cases. Pay extra attention to things like right-angle connectors on the board and where those will point in your case. Some cases have grommets for the 24-pin cable way too close to where the board's right-angle connector is and you can end up with some odd cable runs to accommodate. The R/A connectors that point down at the bottom of the board are problems in cases like the Corsair 5000 series as their power supply shroud sits right below the board in some places. So just keep an eye out for that and plan accordingly.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
CobraCommand
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 108
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/11/19 13:21:00 (permalink)
B0baganoosh
I have a z690 Classified. The only thing it really lacks on the z690 Dark as far as I use it (not XOC use) are the rotated socket and 2 memory slots instead of 4. I only use 2 slots anyway so I would have benefited potentially from only having two slots that can utilize a better circuit trace layout and thus host higher speed memory.

But I think your question is really why would you buy an EVGA z790 classified over some other brand's cheaper motherboard so let me shift over to that

If you're going to run stock settings (or even a very mild OC), you will probably be just as happy with a cheaper board, but there are some things that would draw me personally to the EVGA boards:

1. Warranty/support. I tend to base decisions on things like this to reviews and what I know about customer support. Most of the time when you buy a high end product, it just works and you hope to never need support, but there's always (and I do mean always) some percentage of parts that will have a problem, defect, or a maybe a compatibility issue or something and how that company handles those situations is important. I've bought many EVGA products over the years and while I've had a few problems and a few things I've not been super pleased with, they have overall been exemplary in customer support. I know when I buy something from them that if it fails or has workmanship issues, they'll take care of it. That's a huge deal for me. They also have, through the extended warranties especially, a longer warranty program than anybody else I've seen.

2. Performance. We've already covered that if you're running stock settings, the extra bells and whistles may not be apparent to you, but there's a benefit I'll point out. The VRMs are generally so well designed that they normally would need zero cooling whatsoever. They still put really good cooling on everything though...what that means to me is that I'm running the motherboard with the absolute minimum stress possible. I'm not running a VRM close to it's max temperature or current and then wondering why it died after 2 years. These were made for overclocking, which means they don't even break a sweat for normal use. So that sort of thing tends to lead to long-term stability. I'll add in here that the thicker the board, the stiffer it generally is. This can help with rigidity when mounting water blocks or even the massive GPUs these days as thinner boards will flex more and cause problems. It's a rare thing for it to be a problem with other boards, so this is a very minor thing, but it can be helpful. Added to this on the newer boards is the metal backplate. Pros and cons here as it is a little harder to maneuver and fit into some cases depending on the motherboard tray, but it can add even more rigidity to things. it also looks reeeeaaally nice, but the first time you pick up a motherboard this thick that also has a backplate, you will be surprised at how heavy it is lol.

3. Looks. I put it in a glass paneled case that I sit right next to while gaming and I really like the looks of it so that was part of the decision. I really like the darker more industrial or rugged look that EVGA boards have and I really like that they use more metal than plastic, unlike most brands out there.

So one thing I'll say against the Classified boards now...size! These are not ATX sized and you may run into some issues fitting them into some cases. Pay extra attention to things like right-angle connectors on the board and where those will point in your case. Some cases have grommets for the 24-pin cable way too close to where the board's right-angle connector is and you can end up with some odd cable runs to accommodate. The R/A connectors that point down at the bottom of the board are problems in cases like the Corsair 5000 series as their power supply shroud sits right below the board in some places. So just keep an eye out for that and plan accordingly.

Thank you for the reply,

Sorry i couldnt reply sooner had the flu.

I agree with you its just a shame they stopped making graphics cards it would have then be a full EVGA system as all my previous rigs where.
So the EVGA Z790 Classified has 12 layers and this def help with rigidity in case you install a heavy cpu cooler in flimsy boards this can actually cause bending the MB which is NOT good for stability at all. As you said these new EVGA Z790 are made for heavy overclocking so...this means good chokes, caps etc which leads to more stability. I also think the benefit of a 12 layer is clean current due to the layers is also more stability.

There was a time where EVGA boards weren't that great. But luckily when i made my first EVGA mb purchase these have been sorted out before i bought it it was kind of like a new era. All in all my previous 2 full EVGA rigs did not gave me issues well maybe my first one AFTER 7 years of heavy usage it could have been the MB or PSU or GPU or RAM it started to reboot on its own ive done everything i could do a fresh install of windows checked all cables booted with one stick of ram. But the problem stayed. It could be an issue with dust i neglected my rig and it started to gather dust maybe that was the issue. Either way i was bound to get my self a new rig anyway after 7 years. Another EVGA and again 7 years without issues THIS time i take GOOD care of my rigs clean it often with DATAFAC air blower. I said to my self my rigs need to last at least 5 to 7 years then im happy, it can last even 10 years as a secondary pc.

Im fine with the size it should fit my case no problem. Just been HOLDING every purchase until Z790 classified comes.
Probably will go with I7-13700K - EVGA Z790 Classified - Seasonic Vertex ATX 3.0 PSU (1200 watt) - 32 GB DDR5 - RTX 4080 or 4090 or RX7900XTX - two 980 pro m2 ssds cpu and gpu will be watercooled (custom) going to use 2 big Aquacomputer AMS 840 full copper rads.

If i have to really have to Asus board will be my second choice if the Classified is very hard to get in EU i hope not....
8Shellac8
  • Total Posts : 50
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/11/22 02:54:39 (permalink)
Well, if support is a concern. I will relay my current experience I have had with my support ticket.

In short, I have wasted a week basically being called a moron. I literally had to circle the issue in my screenshots on my third attempt to have them even acknowledge the problem.

Their answer then flip-flopped from not a compatibility issue to being one.

From supposedly mixing tickets up, to blindly linking me a forum post that I was actually in discussing issues we were having. I have never felt so ignored in the few times I have ever needed support.

I may have found the root of my issue. A full wipe and reinstall from the bios up hasn't removed this driver issue in the device manager. But I have no faith in receiving support to fix this from EVGA.

I have lost confidence in my 790 purchase. 😔
post edited by 8Shellac8 - 2022/11/22 03:46:06

Z690 Classified/13700k
32GB Neo Forza Trinity 6400
3080ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro Copper
SK hynix P41 1TB/P31 .5TB NVMe M.2
1000W EVGA P5
Custom Loop
zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/12/12 06:53:22 (permalink)
Classy link is live:
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=121-RL-E798-KR
maybe some stock will be available this week?

frankd3
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 512
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/12/12 09:46:07 (permalink)
Both the Z790 links were active last Friday.
The Dark add to cart button was active for a short time in the evening (I'm on eastern standard time) on Friday.
In another thread someone posted that Jacob said that the Classified and more Darks would be available maybe late this month or January.

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3590190

post edited by frankd3 - 2022/12/12 09:52:00

EVGA Z590 FTW, i9-11900K, EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB, GSkill F4-3600C14D-32GTRSA, EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra, EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2, Corsair 5000D Airflow, BenQ EX2780Q 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

zippytek
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1185
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: EVGA Z790 Classified questions... 2022/12/12 11:55:01 (permalink)
oh ok, i didn't see the classy before. thanks!
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile