Author
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 48
2022/11/07 15:43:54 (permalink)
EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss

A bittersweet moment here what could have been but at the same time had to do what they had to do.

1 of 20, I'd like one for collection purposes.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ

19 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/07 16:00:58 (permalink)
    I just started their video.
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/07 16:55:51 (permalink)
    Wow... the only AIB to put the connector on the end of the card instead of the side. Functional LEDs to see at a glance which vBIOS was active. Thermal putty instead of the way way too thick thermal pads ASUS had used. This design would've been sought after just for case compatibility alone. But the VRM design is not only fully specc'd but at first-glance appears to be an upgrade over both the FE and most AIBs. Steve is right, this was a loss for consumers.

Have water, will cool. 
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/07 18:41:01 (permalink)
    kougar
    Wow... the only AIB to put the connector on the end of the card instead of the side. Functional LEDs to see at a glance which vBIOS was active. Thermal putty instead of the way way too thick thermal pads ASUS had used. This design would've been sought after just for case compatibility alone. But the VRM design is not only fully specc'd but at first-glance appears to be an upgrade over both the FE and most AIBs. Steve is right, this was a loss for consumers.

Yea, I agree it is a no brainer to put the connector on the end.  Pains me to see what could have been along with how much effort, RnD, etc. went into the 4090 before the plug was pulled in September.

I am still bullish that we will eventually see EVGA and Nvidia kiss and make up.  Probably not until next year when Nvidia will be under immense investor pressure.  Nvidia needs EVGA in a major way.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/07 23:34:44 (permalink)
    This would have been the RTX 4090 I would have preferred to have purchased

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/08 00:31:46 (permalink)
    If I got one of these unicorn I definitely wouldn’t be doing a tear down but glad to be able to see it. If I had it I probably would be keeping it forever as display hardware.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/08 02:14:32 (permalink)
    Doesn't look much different than the 3090 ti. 
    ironage
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/08 03:48:31 (permalink)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ1Kf9PaTr4

JayZTwoCents got one too and runs some benchmarks on it, it is just awesome, instant want to have.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/08 04:14:18 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Doesn't look much different than the 3090 ti. 

Is there a reason it would need to look different than a previous board?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/08 12:00:19 (permalink)
    No, but it seems vendors are getting more lazy these days, and not changing the look up much anymore.
    ironage
    • Total Posts : 87
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/09 02:02:23 (permalink)
    Sajin
    No, but it seems vendors are getting more lazy these days, and not changing the look up much anymore.

why should they, question of R&D costs and if something works and looks good why not use it again.

RTX 4090 Founders Edition also looks the same and is no non-seller.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 07:53:39 (permalink)
    yaymz
    kougar

Yea, I agree it is a no brainer to put the connector on the end.  Pains me to see what could have been along with how much effort, RnD, etc. went into the 4090 before the plug was pulled in September.

I am still bullish that we will eventually see EVGA and Nvidia kiss and make up.  Probably not until next year when Nvidia will be under immense investor pressure.  Nvidia needs EVGA in a major way.

EVGA being Nvidia's #1 AIB in the US, one can only hope a new standard of terms is created or with the competition so they can make a decent buck on the higher cards and none of the funny stuff and restrictions. 

Would also love to see some nitch items like the EVBot make a comeback so people who love to OC/LN2 can enjoy on the fly settings.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 11:03:03 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer

EVGA being Nvidia's #1 AIB in the US, one can only hope a new standard of terms is created or with the competition so they can make a decent buck on the higher cards and none of the funny stuff and restrictions. 

Yea I agree here, Nvidia needs to come back to the table.

Also another question:

Why would EVGA give 4090 prototypes to GamerNexus and Jayz2Cents?  IMO to keep the convo going...  which if EVGA truly wanted to exit the GPU marketspace would be a mute point and serve no purpose.  EVGA clearly wants to release these.  And we want them. 

Don't forget,  The low margins that EVGA spoke about a couple months back, includes this RnD cost and and the lion's share of work here largely done.  At this point it is simply working a new deal out and pressing the "on" button at the GPU factory.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 11:04:53 (permalink)
    GTXJackBauer
    yaymz
    kougar

Would also love to see some nitch items like the EVBot make a comeback so people who love to OC/LN2 can enjoy on the fly settings.

Nah i want a remote control EVBot (Bluetooth)🤔 that can turn my PC ON and OC from far away.
    That way you avoid getting burn in case your case catch some fi yah 🔥 🤣🤣.
    Hint hint EVGA i gave you another idea. (A very genuine anti hippie idea😼)

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 11:20:48 (permalink)
    yaymz
    GTXJackBauer

Also another question:

Why would EVGA give 4090 prototypes to GamerNexus and Jayz2Cents?  IMO to keep the convo going...  which if EVGA truly wanted to exit the GPU marketspace would be a mute point and serve no purpose.  EVGA clearly wants to release these.  And we want them. 

Don't forget,  The low margins that EVGA spoke about a couple months back, includes this RnD cost and and the lion's share of work here largely done.  At this point it is simply working a new deal out and pressing the "on" button at the GPU factory.

Why would they send out the prototypes to tech news sites? My personal opinion is to reinforce that they have good tech news contacts on the marketing side regardless of their current issues with Nvidia. I don't see this as being done because of Nvidia, but despite them. This was a favor to the tech news sources that have good repour with EVGA. We just benefit from the gesture by getting to see the prototypes in news articles and videos. I don't believe it has to do with any negotiation tactic with Nvidia. Nvidia has been notorious with mutual NDAs. I was even stuck under one a decade ago with them that they used as a method to stifle some things under the guise of cooperation. I am both surprised and happy with what EVGA did in this. It shows me EVGA is not taking crap from Nvidia.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2022/11/14 11:27:15
    bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 15:45:45 (permalink)
    Denial, not just a river in Egypt. It's a natural part of grieving, as is anger, denial, acceptance and moving on.
    Let us not forget, and the memory of EVGA GPUs be a blessing. As time goes by we will accept it, then let it go.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

yaymz
    SSC Member
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 18:31:36 (permalink)
    bill1024
    Denial, not just a river in Egypt. It's a natural part of grieving, as is anger, denial, acceptance and moving on.
    Let us not forget, and the memory of EVGA GPUs be a blessing. As time goes by we will accept it, then let it go.

Funny.. But imagine being a business that just announced that they are only going to be making keyboards, mice and PSUs, but instead of sending those over to reviewers, you send them an item that you will never make. 

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11083
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/14 19:14:49 (permalink)
    I don’t think much of it except it was a gift that maybe worth a lot of money someday.
    Maybe it was a thank you for reviewing our projects over the years and doing the announcement explaining why they are not going to make more GPUs.
    Or a way to keep talking about EVGA as we are now and many others all over the net. Free advertising in a way. Maybe they wanted Nvidia to see what they would of done if….
    Who knows but I’m going with it was a parting thank you gift with the benefit of getting in the news.
    Either way EVGA is done making GPUs as per the owner of EVGA.
    I don’t like it but I accept it
    My Next GPU will be made by someone else .

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

Miguell
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1112
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/15 01:29:30 (permalink)
    EVGA will be trully missed on the GPU world.. what a loss..

Nvidia is really the new Apple...

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830
    Display: 32" AOC Q3279VWFD8 @2560x1440@75Hz
    Cpu: Intel Core i7-8700
    Cpu Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML120L - RGB
    Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming
    Vga: Asus Dual RTX 4060 Ti 16GB Advanced Edition
    Ram: 32GB DDR4  G.SKILL - RIPJAWS V @3200Mhz
    Sound: Hama uRage soundZbar 2.1 Unleashed  - (Optical)
    Storage: 500GB SSD M.2 A2000  NVMe  Kingston (OS) + 8TB (4+4) HDD X300 Toshiba (Data)
    Psu: SeaSonic M12 700W
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Gamer Nexus: EVGA RTX 4090 FTW3 Tear-Down & Disassembly: A Major Loss 2022/11/22 05:11:52 (permalink)
    yaymz
    GTXJackBauer

Also another question:

I think that was EVGA adding salt to wound if you will.  NV can't sell enough 4000 series and stuck with a massive order from TSMC that they can't dial back if their life depended on it.

atfrico

Nah i want a remote control EVBot (Bluetooth)🤔 that can turn my PC ON and OC from far away.
    That way you avoid getting burn in case your case catch some fi yah 🔥 🤣🤣.
    Hint hint EVGA i gave you another idea. (A very genuine anti hippie idea😼)

Not a bad idea hipster. 

Miguell
    EVGA will be trully missed on the GPU world.. what a loss..

Nvidia is really the new Apple...

Once I saw Nvidia get into the retail game, I knew the AIB days were numbered.

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile