EVGA

EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart

Author
jmo05
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/30 19:03:53 (permalink)
Not sure why, but every time I restart my PC, EVGA Precision X1 locks my GPU's fans to 0%, and there's no way of fixing it other than to restart my PC several times and hope that the GPU's fans get recognized by the software and start spinning again. I've tried already uninstalling the software, trying different versions of the software and the same result happens. I attached an image of what when EVGA Prescion X1 this problem happens. Any help would be appreciated

edit by CoolGTX - fixed photo

post edited by Cool GTX - 2022/10/01 17:31:25

15 Replies Related Threads

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10337
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/09/30 20:19:01 (permalink)
    Knowing which GPU you're using would be helpful.  If you're using a card that has the 0db feature, you need to do a couple things.  You need to setup a custom fan curve and save it to a profile.  You also have to make sure to have the box ticked to run at windows startup.

If you have a dual vBIOS card, then you could use the other vBIOS by moving the switch on the card to the other position.  The other vBIOS's usually have a min fan speed so even without the software running, the fans will run at that min setting.

jmo05
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/09/30 20:50:43 (permalink)
    bdary
    Knowing which GPU you're using would be helpful.  If you're using a card that has the 0db feature, you need to do a couple things.  You need to setup a custom fan curve and save it to a profile.  You also have to make sure to have the box ticked to run at windows startup.

If you have a dual vBIOS card, then you could use the other vBIOS by moving the switch on the card to the other position.  The other vBIOS's usually have a min fan speed so even without the software running, the fans will run at that min setting.

Sorry it's a EVGA RTX 3060 XC GAMING, I think you are confused about the issue. It's not the normal 0db fan mode as far as I'm aware of, the card's fans will not spin until the card reaches about ~90c, and then the cards fans will spin up. The Issue I think is due to the fans not being detected by the X1 software as I showed in the screenshot I included. When the fans are detected and everything is working as normal, the cards fans kick in at around ~55c or so, and the software actually detects both the fans and allows me to adjust the fan control. 
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/09/30 21:18:10 (permalink)
    I see a small box placeholder for an image, but no image.  Have to tried uninstalling the PX1 software and running the GPU without it to see how your fans work?  Or if they spin at all?

bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/09/30 21:23:39 (permalink)
    If you haven't seen this thread yet, check it out.  Especially the way you should do a proper uninstall to remove any settings that remain after a normal uninstall.

https://forums.evga.com/How-Do-I-Troubleshoot-Precision-X1-Issues-m2941097.aspx

schulmaster
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 541
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/09/30 22:28:09 (permalink)
    I am confounded by the fact that in-house software targeting (former) in-house hardware can remain so fundamentally inferior to Afterburner, monikered by a competitor.

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
    Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
    CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
    RAM:
    64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
    GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
    Display:
    27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
    Storage:
    2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
    2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
    4TB WD Enterprise 
    1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
    SPU: Creative AE7 
    PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/01 07:22:54 (permalink)
    If you uninstall Precision X1, and reboot, the fans should work properly utilizing the card's default firmware. Can you confirm? Perhaps it would be better to not use software fan control.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/01 17:35:06 (permalink)
    Is Fast Boot off in BIOS ?

what other software is auto loading on your PC at Boot ?

PSA Make Sure - PX1 is OFF (not loaded) --> when installing Nvidia drivers

check that you selected - the check box -- apply previous settings on load -- found under the "gear icon"

PSA: do not use - "apply previous settings on load" - while your testing for stable OC settings, you don't want to auto load the settings that just crashed your PC - Right

R&R the GPU - or check carefully that it is fully installed & locked into the PCIe slot

are you using a Riser cable OR plugged into the MB directly ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jimbo2112
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 207
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/02 08:07:36 (permalink)
    schulmaster
    I am confounded by the fact that in-house software targeting (former) in-house hardware can remain so fundamentally inferior to Afterburner, monikered by a competitor.

It is incredibly bad software.  My PC can go weeks without a reboot and X1 will just ... vanish ... after a time.  It's been this way forever.

MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master
    PROC - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (NZXT Kraken Z73)
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
    MEM - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB 3600 (16-19-19-39)
    PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6
    CASE - Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black
    BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/03 11:46:33 (permalink)
    (moving to proper section)

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Scott_W
    • Total Posts : 54
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/05 15:22:13 (permalink)
    Jimbo2112
    My PC can go weeks without a reboot and X1 will just ... vanish ... after a time.  It's been this way forever.

I had PX1 "disappear" a few times -- and eventually tracked down at least (1) cause.  The Scheduled Task that PX1 creates when you tick "Start with windows" includes two Power options on the "Conditions" tab: (a) Start the task only if the computer is on AC power, and (b) Stop if the computer switches to battery power.  That second option means that Windows will continue to monitor the running task after starting it and kill it if the computer switches to battery power.

My computer is connected to a UPS, and the UPS is monitored by Windows via USB.  Every time we had a minor power flicker that caused the UPS to intervene -- even for 1 second -- Windows would sense it was on "battery power", and immediately terminate PX1.

The solution to that was simply edit the Scheduled Task ("EVGAPrecisionX"), click the Conditions tab, and un-check the "Stop if the computer switches to battery power" option.

Jimbo2112
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/05 18:26:46 (permalink)
    Scott_W
    Jimbo2112
    My PC can go weeks without a reboot and X1 will just ... vanish ... after a time.  It's been this way forever.

I had PX1 "disappear" a few times -- and eventually tracked down at least (1) cause.  The Scheduled Task that PX1 creates when you tick "Start with windows" includes two Power options on the "Conditions" tab: (a) Start the task only if the computer is on AC power, and (b) Stop if the computer switches to battery power.  That second option means that Windows will continue to monitor the running task after starting it and kill it if the computer switches to battery power.

My computer is connected to a UPS, and the UPS is monitored by Windows via USB.  Every time we had a minor power flicker that caused the UPS to intervene -- even for 1 second -- Windows would sense it was on "battery power", and immediately terminate PX1.

The solution to that was simply edit the Scheduled Task ("EVGAPrecisionX"), click the Conditions tab, and un-check the "Stop if the computer switches to battery power" option.

Interesting.  I'll definitely check this out.  Oh, and look, PX1 is gone (PC up-time is just over 4 days)...  I'm checking the Scheduled Task now.

Scott_W
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/05 18:58:28 (permalink)
    Jimbo2112
    Interesting.  I'll definitely check this out.  Oh, and look, PX1 is gone (PC up-time is just over 4 days)...  I'm checking the Scheduled Task now.

I normally have X1 on a second monitor.  Just happened to be sitting there, twice, when we had a brief power problem (UPS beeped) and X1 *poof* closed at the same moment.  That's what caused me to look at the scheduled task.  Subsequent testing (pulling UPS plug from wall) proved X1 was, indeed, closing whenever the UPS kicked in.  Changed the scheduled task options, and no more disappearing X1.

That's not to say there couldn't be other reasons X1 spontaneously exits.  And any time you re-select that option in the GUI, it will re-create the scheduled task with the "kill on battery" option.  But at least for me, deleting that option stopped the random disappearance of X1.
    Jimbo2112
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/09 15:53:46 (permalink)
    Scott_W
    Jimbo2112

I normally have X1 on a second monitor.  Just happened to be sitting there, twice, when we had a brief power problem (UPS beeped) and X1 *poof* closed at the same moment.  That's what caused me to look at the scheduled task.  Subsequent testing (pulling UPS plug from wall) proved X1 was, indeed, closing whenever the UPS kicked in.  Changed the scheduled task options, and no more disappearing X1.

That's not to say there couldn't be other reasons X1 spontaneously exits.  And any time you re-select that option in the GUI, it will re-create the scheduled task with the "kill on battery" option.  But at least for me, deleting that option stopped the random disappearance of X1.

I noticed it had stopped again after using your suggestion.  Poking around, I found a setting that says "Stop the task if it runs longer than:  (dropdown) 3 days" and was checked.  I think that might be my culprit.

Scott_W
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/09 16:04:18 (permalink)
    Jimbo2112
    I noticed it had stopped again after using your suggestion.  Poking around, I found a setting that says "Stop the task if it runs longer than:  (dropdown) 3 days" and was checked.  I think that might be my culprit.

Strange...  I just deleted the task and had PX1 re-create it again.  As expected, the "Start only on AC power" and "Stop if computer switches to battery" were both selected.  But the "Stop after 3 days" was NOT selected.

Perhaps an older version of PX1 set that "3 days" option when the task was originally created?  The current version (1.3.6) doesn't seem to set it when creating the task.  Just to be thorough, you might try manually deleting the task from Task Scheduler entirely -- then toggle the "Start with OS" option in PX1 to create a new task and check the Conditions/Settings tabs on that one.

I do kinow that any time the "Start with OS" box is toggled, those "AC only" and "Stop on battery" boxes get ticked again -- so, I have to remember to manually edit the task and clear them any time the option in PX1 is touched.
    post edited by Scott_W - 2022/10/09 16:10:03
    Jimbo2112
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Prescion X1 locking my GPU's fans to 0% on Restart 2022/10/09 19:22:14 (permalink)
    Scott_W
    Jimbo2112

Strange...  I just deleted the task and had PX1 re-create it again.  As expected, the "Start only on AC power" and "Stop if computer switches to battery" were both selected.  But the "Stop after 3 days" was NOT selected.

Perhaps an older version of PX1 set that "3 days" option when the task was originally created?  The current version (1.3.6) doesn't seem to set it when creating the task.  Just to be thorough, you might try manually deleting the task from Task Scheduler entirely -- then toggle the "Start with OS" option in PX1 to create a new task and check the Conditions/Settings tabs on that one.

I do kinow that any time the "Start with OS" box is toggled, those "AC only" and "Stop on battery" boxes get ticked again -- so, I have to remember to manually edit the task and clear them any time the option in PX1 is touched.

So I deleted the schedule task and had it recreated.  The kill after 3 days was not checked but the battery thing was.  So thank you for pointing me in the correct direction!

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile