EVGA

I must be using Precision X1 wrong.... can someone set me right?

Author
LughGlas85
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/10/04 09:08:13 (permalink)
Hi all!  I am running a Geforce RTX 2070 Super, upon which I put a custom EKWB waterblock.  The rest of my system is a bit more dated, such as a ASUS Maximus XI Formula motherboard w/ an overclocked i9-9900K, 64Gb of 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM, and the PSU is a Corsair HX1200.  Now for a long time I have been using Precision X1, but it was only recently that I went online to compare my own GPU's overclock settings to that of other people, and I was pretty unhappy with my findings.  People are reporting that the settings in their Precision X1 settings are generally between "+800" to "~+1100" on the Mem OC, and generally over "+100" on the Clock OC.  However, my own settings, after having Precision X1 do its Scan-thing, is a measily +200 Mem OC, and a +72 GPU OC.

I must be doing something wrong when using Precision X1, or is it perhaps something with my GPU, or perhaps my BIOS power settings?  Any input would be appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I must be using Precision X1 wrong.... can someone set me right? 2022/10/04 09:40:07 (permalink)
    LughGlas85
    Hi all!  I am running a Geforce RTX 2070 Super, upon which I put a custom EKWB waterblock.  The rest of my system is a bit more dated, such as a ASUS Maximus XI Formula motherboard w/ an overclocked i9-9900K, 64Gb of 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM, and the PSU is a Corsair HX1200.  Now for a long time I have been using Precision X1, but it was only recently that I went online to compare my own GPU's overclock settings to that of other people, and I was pretty unhappy with my findings.  People are reporting that the settings in their Precision X1 settings are generally between "+800" to "~+1100" on the Mem OC, and generally over "+100" on the Clock OC.  However, my own settings, after having Precision X1 do its Scan-thing, is a measily +200 Mem OC, and a +72 GPU OC.

I must be doing something wrong when using Precision X1, or is it perhaps something with my GPU, or perhaps my BIOS power settings?  Any input would be appreciated.

Welcome to the EVGA Forums & congrats on your first thread

IT is ALWAYS the MHz & Performance you see as an End result & NEVER the +xxx you put into the OC software

Q#1) Are you getting better than advertised MHz ?  If yes, then your hardware is running fine

First & foremost, take what you read others can do with a grain of salt

Second - even if you bought identical hardware, installed identical software, used identical settings .... it ALWAYS boils down to the silicon lottery effect ... there are too many variables in mfg & all dies, ram, pcb, assembly are Not identical

So, what might you have missed ?

Voltage settings, Power settings, Software settings Windows & Nvidia Control Panel, Room temp, fans used & settings, MB setup, clean boot with NO background software .... for starters

If your MB is setup with an "auto OC tool" from Mfg it Might be OC the PCIe bus .... even if it does not mention it - known issue - & impacts the GPU sometime in a good way & sometimes in a bad way

Also NOTE - Nvidia Boost has the last word on OC, will override your cards ability base on Temp, Amps, load ---> Temp is key - brute force just does not work as Nv Boost will down-clock as it sees fit

Test, test & test some more .... make small changes, record results .... get Max MHz from GPU Die, then worry about the RAM's OC ... test,test & test some more for stability

Quality & stable power to the Rig is very important.  OC to the Max requires a rock solid PC that is repeatable.

Enjoy your OC adventure

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

LughGlas85
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: I must be using Precision X1 wrong.... can someone set me right? 2022/10/04 10:17:06 (permalink)
    Great, thanks!  I'm going to go back start over.  I also appreciate your quick reply.  
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30969
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: I must be using Precision X1 wrong.... can someone set me right? 2022/10/04 10:29:02 (permalink)
    LughGlas85
    Great, thanks!  I'm going to go back start over.  I also appreciate your quick reply.  

Happy to help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    Re: I must be using Precision X1 wrong.... can someone set me right? 2022/10/05 10:05:27 (permalink)
    Indeed, you'll see some pretty wild variations in OC ability from card to card, but each card should at least get what is advertised.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile