Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102260
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2022/09/29 23:31:42 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/299418/google-calls-it-quits-on-game-streaming-shutting-down-stadia

Game streaming services, such as GeForce Now, Stadia and Amazon's Luna, haven't been the roaring success the companies behind them had hoped for. One of the pitfalls, that NVIDIA quickly found out, was that the game publishers weren't overly keen on gamers being able to play games they already owned on multiple systems, even if it wasn't on more than one system at once. Multiple services have already come and gone over the years and now it's time for Google to bid farewell to its Stadia service. In its blog post, Google didn't state the exact reasoning behind shutting down the service, beyond it not gaining the kind of traction the company had hoped for.

The good news here is that Google will be refunding all of its Stadia customers, regardless if it's someone that has bought hardware through the Google Store, or bought games or even add-on content for games through the Stadia Store. Google will be refunding all of its customers by the 18th of January 2023 and those using Stadia will continue to have access to all of their content until that date. Google expects its Stadia technology to be used for other services, or potentially be made available to third parties. As to the team behind Stadia, many will apparently carry on working for other departments at Google.

Sad news but there are lots of online gaming choices to still choose from. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

6 Replies Related Threads

Killmur
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5311
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/09/30 00:20:28 (permalink)
    When will these companies start learning that cloud gaming is not ever to go fully take off until every country has a proper stable infrastructure in place for true high speed data? All they ever do is throw money down the drain investing in this stuff. Only reason Google is refunding is to stave off potential law suits. I honestly saw the writing on the wall the day Google shut down their game development division.

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/09/30 01:31:29 (permalink)
    I think the biggest challenge would be data caps right now that a lot of internet service providers have and then people having a Wi-Fi 6 connection to make streaming a reality. On top of that the streaming would have to be to a device that would be unique in what it is doing to make streaming a game amazing. Like for example if Facebooks parant company Meta was to stream games to the Quest 2 that looked like Half Life Alyx level of graphics it would be amazing.

Or maybe a device like the Steam Deck streaming games instead of local stores games would also makes sense in a way. Googles biggest problem was that they didn’t make it unique enough to justify what it was doing over other options available.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/09/30 04:33:34 (permalink)
    I didn't expect it to last....

I would prefer no services like steam and just the game like it used to be....installer on a usb stick. Much cleaner.
    Can play when the internet is down (like many people in Florida are now experiencing...) providing power is up.

this 'only online' crap needs to die.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/09/30 13:04:09 (permalink)
    Certainly doesn't bode well for GeForce Now and the concept that you don't need a GPU to game.  Maybe we will see this come to light in 5-10 years, but there are still issue they need to overcome.  I doubt publishers want to get locked into bad contracts with the likes of Amazon, Google, Nvidia, etc

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/09/30 16:41:38 (permalink)
    guess Google could not profit enough from what ever they could mine from gamers

without the bandwidth and low latency of fiber, it was never going to be an equal playing field for most

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Google Calls it Quits on Game Streaming, Shutting Down Stadia 2022/10/01 16:48:43 (permalink)
    they should have teamed up with any ISP that offered fiber. cake it into the bill.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile