EVGA

My horrendous experience with EVGA...

Author
Randomizer23
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/18 06:46:15 (permalink)
So, to preface, I have always thought of EVGA as a prestigious and highly regarded brand, until I bought once of their PSUs. This was a couple years ago, and it was a 850w unit which turned to be defective. It would randomly shut down my PC at times, so I returned it within the 30 day period and have been happy with no issues from a CorsairRMi 750w unit. Love it. Fast forward a couple years and here we are, me finally getting my hands on a 3070. And as such, only the EVGA model was available. Given my previous experience with the brand I was skeptical, but it was all I could get my hands on. After spending $1000 CAD on a XC3 Ultra 3070, I was ecstatic. Coming from a GTX 1080 the upgrade was great. Until, I began to run into a plethora of issues with the card. At first, I noticed a screeching scratchy sound whenever the fans would begin to spin up, you can see it in this clip: https://www.reddit.com/r/EVGA/comments/tukfat/why_is_my_brand_new_evga_3070_xc3_ultra_making/
It really annoyed me, because the fans would kick in at around 55c and bounce between on and off while watching youtube. So I set a fan curve to where they never shut off and went about my life. Then, I noticed, the card got quite hot for a 3070. Under stock settings the hottest it got was on Cyberpunk 2077. The card reached 82c at one point and the fan RPM was around 2500RPM. It was stupid loud even at 2000RPM. My old 1080 strix was quieter under load ffs. It was completely unbearable and after seeing reviews and reports of the card being in the 60s, I knew something was wrong. So I contacted EVGA and they offered a warranty replacement. I ended up having to spend $130 in shipping and insurance to get the card shipped, I was quite unhappy that they did not pay for the shipping, it is quite literally their mistake to allow a GPU like this off the factory, why does the consumer need to pay? I have dome RMAs through Corsair, for faulty fans and keyboards and they all paid for the shipping cost... So fast forward a bit and I receive the "new" card. They said it was "EVGA Ceritified". Oh boy... Upon opening the card I see spots of dust, proving the card was used. I put it into the system and fire it up only to hear the exact same sound coming from the fans when they start. So, im down $130 and the issue was not resolved. Oh and on top of that. THE CARD IS ARTIFACTING UNDER STOCK SETTINGS. I cannot play a video game, the card simply artifacts. I ran OCCT VRAM test and within the first 30 seconds it came back with 450000 errors related to the VRAM. I have since told EVGA and am waiting for a response but I highly doubt they will do anything to rectify this. I am extremely frustrated right now and expected better from a company that made GPUs for 22 years prior. It is safe to say that I am NEVER buying an EVGA thing again.

8 Replies Related Threads

ShawnB420
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 08:01:14 (permalink)
    For all my RMA’s over the last 20 years I can count on a handful that paid for shipping and that was only after notching about it. As for insurance that’s on you, it’s rarely if ever needed hence why it’s a ripoff. I bet out of that $130 $100 was the insurance

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 11:00:19 (permalink)
    ShawnB420
    For all my RMA’s over the last 20 years I can count on a handful that paid for shipping and that was only after notching about it. As for insurance that’s on you, it’s rarely if ever needed hence why it’s a ripoff. I bet out of that $130 $100 was the insurance

Last time I shipped UPS it was like $0.50 for $100 in insurance with the first $100 being covered but that is in the United States. In my mind it's totally worth $5.00 to make sure a product that I spent $1100 makes it to its destination. The biggest thing I have seen that have an impact on shipping price are if it crosses a border and then length and weight of the package.  Bottom line though if you ask most places how much extra insurance is on a package they can tell you in like a few seconds and you can make the decision. 

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Randomizer23
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 12:04:48 (permalink)
    ShawnB420

60 shipping 60 insurance. I hope they give me a pre paid label to ship this GPU back, in which case im not buying insurance for I cant be bothered. I just want a working GPU man...
    Randomizer23
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 12:13:20 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    ShawnB420

Last time I shipped UPS it was like $0.50 for $100 in insurance with the first $100 being covered but that is in the United States. In my mind it's totally worth $5.00 to make sure a product that I spent $1100 makes it to its destination. The biggest thing I have seen that have an impact on shipping price are if it crosses a border and then length and weight of the package.  Bottom line though if you ask most places how much extra insurance is on a package they can tell you in like a few seconds and you can make the decision. 

It was 60 for shipping 60 for insurance on the first card I sent. Now Im hoping they will give me a pre paid shipping label because they did send me a FAULTY REPLACEMENT. We'll see.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 14:27:31 (permalink)
    moving to Warranty

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Randomizer23
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 16:10:44 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    moving to Warranty

Thanks
    EVGATech_DanielM
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 1132
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/18 23:12:51 (permalink)
    Give us a call tomorrow and we can see what can work out for you
    Randomizer23
    Re: My horrendous experience with EVGA... 2022/09/19 16:27:58 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DanielM
    Give us a call tomorrow and we can see what can work out for you

Sure, thanks. I already have a ticket open, but have been waiting for a response since friday.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile