EVGA

z690 classified led question

Author
veridiux
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/09/04 09:08:30 (permalink)
I was just wondering if there is a way to disable the leds when the pc is off, but keep them when it's on.

7 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/04 09:21:22 (permalink)
    veridiux
    I was just wondering if there is a way to disable the leds when the pc is off, but keep them when it's on.

BIOS have a "dark mode" option when PC is "soft off" after Windows shutdown ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 598
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/04 10:02:13 (permalink)
    veridiux

^^ question is asked by many. imo having them on is awesome. (and this is my first EVGA MOBO.)

why? because -- built my current PC going on seven months ago with NPs watsoever -- with them on i know my PC is getting power.

so wat is the advantage of knowing my PC is getting power? well, because, it's getting power. i like knowing that.

but then always shutting down my PC (any Gaming PC) when not in use, is the way to go. Desktop PCs and Laptops that are for basic programs and browsing the net, are fine allowing to sleep. but imo not Gaming PCs.

When u have a 3k plus invested in a Gaming PC, Shut it down when not in use seems logical. my personal experience is that many things are better off. and one example is the PSU. my current PSU (Corsair AX860) has lasted going on seven years NP.

My previous PSUs, an Corsair AX850 and its replacement (my 1st) AX860 replaced under warranty because the AX850 failed; only lasted four and two years, and i always allowed them to Sleep, because i hadn't transitioned to SSDs and Booting the PCs they were on was so slow.

Just before replacing the first AX860 and finally using all SSDs; an EVGA phone tech said in his opinion, never use sleep mode on a Gaming PC, and he never did. before he could fully explain why, i said i never would again. and i'm glad i stopped using Sleep mode ever since then. imo all expensive hardware benefits.

On a Desktop Computer next to my kitchen, that i use for the browsing the net and playing Solitaire  -- a Dell T5500 2xXEON E5520, as expensive a PC when it was built, i picked up on Newegg (two of them) ten years ago for only $579 for both, i have always used Sleep mode NP. Never used it for Gaming. Originally it was going to be an HTPC.

Again, (another example) i like having the LEDs on. Another good reason is, what if u ever have to safely shut down, and switch the PSU switch to the off (open) position, and unplug the power cord from the back of the PC, in order to do one of many things; like checking the Video card or replacing it or accessing M.2s? Well, the LEDs would be off then, right? and it would be safe as safe to proceed.

i like them on all the time.
    post edited by Bee_Dee_3_Dee - 2022/09/04 10:09:25

> PSU: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200
    > Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.03 12/3/2021)
    > CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
    > AIO: EVGA CLC 240mm
    > Physical Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600
    > Physical Memory Model#: F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5S
    > Monitor: Alienware AW2721D
    > Video Card: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    > Case: Cooler Master HAF X (942)
    > DAS: Sabrent DS-SC5B

jdec112016w
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 163
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/04 13:19:50 (permalink)
    Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    veridiux

^^ question is asked by many. imo having them on is awesome. (and this is my first EVGA MOBO.)

why? because -- built my current PC going on seven months ago with NPs watsoever -- with them on i know my PC is getting power.

so wat is the advantage of knowing my PC is getting power? well, because, it's getting power. i like knowing that.

but then always shutting down my PC (any Gaming PC) when not in use, is the way to go. Desktop PCs and Laptops that are for basic programs and browsing the net, are fine allowing to sleep. but imo not Gaming PCs.

When u have a 3k plus invested in a Gaming PC, Shut it down when not in use seems logical. my personal experience is that many things are better off. and one example is the PSU. my current PSU (Corsair AX860) has lasted going on seven years NP.

My previous PSUs, an Corsair AX850 and its replacement (my 1st) AX860 replaced under warranty because the AX850 failed; only lasted four and two years, and i always allowed them to Sleep, because i hadn't transitioned to SSDs and Booting the PCs they were on was so slow.

Just before replacing the first AX860 and finally using all SSDs; an EVGA phone tech said in his opinion, never use sleep mode on a Gaming PC, and he never did. before he could fully explain why, i said i never would again. and i'm glad i stopped using Sleep mode ever since then. imo all expensive hardware benefits.

On a Desktop Computer next to my kitchen, that i use for the browsing the net and playing Solitaire  -- a Dell T5500 2xXEON E5520, as expensive a PC when it was built, i picked up on Newegg (two of them) ten years ago for only $579 for both, i have always used Sleep mode NP. Never used it for Gaming. Originally it was going to be an HTPC.

Again, (another example) i like having the LEDs on. Another good reason is, what if u ever have to safely shut down, and switch the PSU switch to the off (open) position, and unplug the power cord from the back of the PC, in order to do one of many things; like checking the Video card or replacing it or accessing M.2s? Well, the LEDs would be off then, right? and it would be safe as safe to proceed.

i like them on all the time.

Another reason for shutting it all down when not in use, back in 2000, I had a prebuilt Sony PC, turned off at power switch, walked by my computer room few hours later, it turned on all by itself, settings were set not to turn on for MS updates etc., it was being hacked. Now I have a 20 AMP multi outlet surge protector all my PC hardware that it is plugged in to, after I do a normal shutdown through Windows, I wait until everything is off, then turn off the switch at surge protector that powers everything. Also doing that because  sometimes in the past, older MB, 3 years ago, I would turn on the PC at start button on panel, it not detect my monitor set on Display port, they starting up at the same time solved my issues. Has not been an issue with my EVGA Classified. Have read recent reviews from other sites people still concerned in sleep mode their PC be hacked by someone Bitcoin mining, so they power them down also, apparently that is still a relevant issue.

EVGA  Z690 DARK KINGPIN (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Temporarily. For now. Z690 Classified (BIOS VER. 1.15)
    Windows 11 Pro
    Intel i9-12900k
    EVGA GeFORCE RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 24G-P5-4985-KR
    SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 SSD, 2TB
    CORSAIR VENGEANCE C70 case
    EVGA 1300 SuperNOVA P+
    EVGA Z20 RGB KEYBOARD
    EVGA X20 Wireless Mouse
    Dell-27" LED QHD G-SYNC  Model:S2716DG.
    G.SKILL (2 x 16GB)  F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RS

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31004
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/04 13:41:16 (permalink)
    EVGA Eleet X1 software has a LED tab

So if there is not an option in BIOS, maybe the setting is in the software ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jdec112016w
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/04 14:22:41 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Eleet X1 software has a LED tab

From a review>>>On the video card is a three-position selector for three different BIOS options.  The default mode is “Performance” but you can switch to a “Normal” mode which runs at a lower fan noise, or switch to an “OC” mode that turns the idle fan stop ability off.  The selector switch is all about the fan profile.  

Windows 11 Pro
    Intel i9-12900k
    EVGA 1300 SuperNOVA P+
    EVGA Z20 RGB KEYBOARD
    EVGA X20 Wireless Mouse

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2366
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/06 05:59:40 (permalink)
    jdec112016w
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Eleet X1 software has a LED tab

From a review>>>On the video card is a three-position selector for three different BIOS options.  The default mode is “Performance” but you can switch to a “Normal” mode which runs at a lower fan noise, or switch to an “OC” mode that turns the idle fan stop ability off.  The selector switch is all about the fan profile.  

What does the graphics card's BIOS switch have to do with the motherboard's LEDs?

As for OP, I have not found any way to have the motherboard LEDs turn on when the system is powered, but turn off when you power down. The X1 software lets you adjust all the LEDs, but it hasn't previously had a setting that lets you turn them on at start-up and off at power-down. I'd really like to see that added to the BIOS (but X1 as a minimum). Right now, you'd have to open X1 when you boot up to turn them on, then open it again before shutting down to shut them off manually if you wanted that to be what happens.

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    jdec112016w
    Superclocked Member
    Re: z690 classified led question 2022/09/07 14:59:24 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    jdec112016w
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Eleet X1 software has a LED tab

What does the graphics card's BIOS switch have to do with the motherboard's LEDs?

As for OP, I have not found any way to have the motherboard LEDs turn on when the system is powered, but turn off when you power down. The X1 software lets you adjust all the LEDs, but it hasn't previously had a setting that lets you turn them on at start-up and off at power-down. I'd really like to see that added to the BIOS (but X1 as a minimum). Right now, you'd have to open X1 when you boot up to turn them on, then open it again before shutting down to shut them off manually if you wanted that to be what happens.

Sorry all, my post ended up in wrong subject post. Been gone a few days building new PC with EVGA parts. I had 2 Forum tabs open at the same time.

Windows 11 Pro
    Intel i9-12900k
    EVGA 1300 SuperNOVA P+
    EVGA Z20 RGB KEYBOARD
    EVGA X20 Wireless Mouse

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile