EVGA

Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest?

Author
delicieuxz
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/07/22 17:49:04 (permalink)
I have a Z15 keyboard. I'm thinking of getting the soft palm rest that's sold separately for the Z12 and Z20 keyboards. I'm wondering how well it will work. I find the Z15 rest to be very low profile and would prefer a rest that sits a bit higher. But also one that's softer.

Is the Z12 / Z20 rest higher in profile than the Z15 rest?

https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=400-KB-PM00-R1

6 Replies Related Threads

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10102
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/07/22 23:48:52 (permalink)
    Looking at them they look to be the same height and shape. I am honestly thinking them are exactly the same looking at them. I personally have the Z20 keyboard and would say the palm wrest is pretty light on padding. It's enough to provide some cushion but not that much. If I push down I can feel the plastic of the palm rest but in using the keyboard it gives a slight bit of support. If you want firm support that really raises the palm I would consider something else. Being that these are full sized mechanical keyboards with raised keycaps it's easy to find a lot of great options if you need it (like if you have to sleep with a wrist brace after typing all day kind of need). Personally though I am happy with the included one.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

delicieuxz
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/07/27 19:27:46 (permalink)
    I've gotten the Z12/Z20 palm rest, and it seems to me that it works well with the Z15 keyboard. It's a tiny bit longer than the Z15 keyboard, and the magnetics don't line up perfectly with it, so it has a less forceful magnetic attachment to it (but it still has enough of one). But it is higher profile than the Z15 palm rest, which I like (I'd even like if it were a slight bit higher in profile), and it feels way more comfortable. I might even prefer that its magnetic attachment isn't as strong and that I can slide it away more easily, as I often move my keyboard around the place, and sometimes don't use the palm rest.

Overall, I think it's much better than the Z15 palm rest. Though, I think EVGA should make a version that matches the size of the Z15 and lines up with the Z15's magnets. I don't understand why the Z15 comes with a flat, hard piece of plastic, when the Z12 and Z20 get a soft, comfortable, higher-profile rest.
    post edited by delicieuxz - 2022/07/27 23:56:42
    davepwhite
    • Total Posts : 20
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/08/12 10:10:11 (permalink)
    I too have the Z12 wrist rest. I like how it magnetically "snicks" onto the keyboard and how it feels/works overall. But I would prefer it be thicker/higher.
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/08/12 23:25:02 (permalink)

I use my Belkin soft wrist rest.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    davepwhite
    • Total Posts : 20
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/08/13 10:34:39 (permalink)
    XrayMan

I actually have 2 of these wrist rests. I tried putting the base-to-base in order to get a higher surface. Didn't work well at all.

Using a magnet, I can tell that there are magnets embedded in the wrist rest itself and those must "snick" to some metal embedded in the keyboard's base. I like how that works. It MIGHT be possible to replicate that with another, higher, wrist rest using some tape/glue-on magnetic strips. I have a bunch of very small but very strong magnets salvaged from old Sonicare toothbrush heads. I may try with those. Cheers!
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Which palm rest is higher profile: The Z15 rest or the optional Z12 / Z20 rest? 2022/08/14 17:37:15 (permalink)
    davepwhite
    XrayMan

I actually have 2 of these wrist rests. I tried putting the base-to-base in order to get a higher surface. Didn't work well at all.

Using a magnet, I can tell that there are magnets embedded in the wrist rest itself and those must "snick" to some metal embedded in the keyboard's base. I like how that works. It MIGHT be possible to replicate that with another, higher, wrist rest using some tape/glue-on magnetic strips. I have a bunch of very small but very strong magnets salvaged from old Sonicare toothbrush heads. I may try with those. Cheers!

Ok sounds good.      

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile