EVGA

Z590 FTW Motherboard failure and customer support experience

Author
mobb-1
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2022/06/27 09:58:43 (permalink)
I purchased My EVGA Z590 FTW motherboard about a year ago.  I noticed my temperatures at Idle were getting up to about 50C and while loading Microsoft Flight simulator the Fans would ramp up.  it never did that before.  Thinking that the EVGA 360 Rad AIO might have an issue, I replaced it with a EK 360mm AIO.  When I powered on the fans were all spinning at full speed and there was no post code whatsoever.  All the power leds were lit up like power was going where it should.  I thought this might be a good time to call customer support so I did.

Upon explaining what had happened, the representative had me do a few trouble shooting steps after which he stated my power supply was faulty, I had shorted out my motherboard and that it would not be covered under warranty.  Just wanting to get my PC up and running again I asked if I could purchase a replacement motherboard, I was then told I could check Microcenter (btw there are no microcenters where I live) end of call.

I was now in a position where I needed a new motherboard and there were no EVGA z590 FTW wins to be found anywhere, luckily Best buy had a motherboard in store (maximus 13 hero) So I planned to pick it up the next day.  In the mean time, I wanted to make sure my power supply was still functional, I didnt have a short somewhere and what components if any were affected.  All other components check out after 2 days of testing.  At this point I installed the asus board and everything worked perfectly, except for the armoury crate garbage bloatware that tried to auto install through the bios and that was simply unchecking a box.  Since the EVGA board was faulty and RMA wasnt an option I recycled it.

At this point I felt a little gas lit by customer support.  How could he know within 5 minutes on the phone that I had a faulty power supply and that I had shorted my motherboard yet here I was with all the original parts except the motherboard working perfectly?  Not only that but denied an RMA opportunity out right.  Would it make more sense to send the board in for examination before making such an absolute diagnosis?  

This didnt feel right so I called customer service again, I explained what happened to the representative on the phone at which point he forwarded me to someone else.  After explaining again what happened I was offered an RMA exchange...  Well, the problem was I no longer had the faulty motherboard.  Why would I keep a motherboard that is broken and has already been denied an RMA?  Needles to say I was pretty frustrated. The new asus motherboard cost me about 350.00 dollars on sale, Being well aware of asus reputation for customer support, I paired that with an extended warranty through best buy just so I dont have to deal with asus customer support ever.  This will probably be my solution for motherboard purchases moving forward for ease of purchase and returns if there is in fact a hardware failure.

This same customer support person who dealt with my motherboard RMA denial was also problematic with a problem with my 3090 graphics card.  It was heating up past 108c which I was told was withing spec,  I had to refer to the specs on the ram that showed it was on the verge of throttling.  He still refused to RMA the graphics card until I asked to speak to his supervisor, so I was starting to see a pattern here.  here is a link to the forum post regarding:

3090 hybrid issues so far after 2nd card - EVGA Forums

I have been choosing to go with EVGA products over the past many years for some key reasons.  I liked how they stood behind their products, quality of the product, customer support and most recently the way they handled the covid pandemic with the queue.  But, in light of the 2 experiences I had with the same customer support person I will not be buying any motherboards from EVGA and I will consider other components very carefully.  Reference graphics cards I'll probably stick with for now.  I hope this feed back helps.

Btw I would post before and after pics of the build but the forums wont let me upload pictures for some reason.

post edited by mobb-1 - 2022/06/27 10:16:07

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile