EVGA

Intel Wants $625 Million in Interest From the EU After Overturned Antitrust Fine

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102241
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2022/06/21 23:57:13 (permalink)
https://www.techpowerup.com/296043/intel-wants-usd-625-million-in-interest-from-the-eu-after-overturned-antitrust-fine

Back in January, Intel overturned an antitrust ruling by the EU and didn't have to pay the $1.2 billion fine, but it seems like the company isn't satisfied with getting out of having to pay a huge fine, but is now asking the EU to compensate the company for interest lost. As such, Intel has filed for "payment of compensation and consequential interest for the damage sustained because of the European Commissions refusal to pay Intel default interest" with the EU General Court. The sum of money Intel is asking for is based on the European Central Bank's refinancing rate and as the original fine was levied back in 2009, Intel claims they're owed more than half of the value of the fine.

Intel is also expecting further interest on the money, if the payment is late from the EU. It should be noted that the European Commission has already paid Intel €38 million in interest on the fine that was paid back in 2009, but Intel is clearly not happy and is asking for a much greater sum. However, the battle between the European Commission and Intel isn't over, as the Commission is working on appealing the ruling, so depending on the outcome of that appeal, Intel might have to pay back the fine to the EU. For those that don't remember the original reason for the antitrust fine, Intel was accused of giving rebates to certain partners and system integrators to make sure they didn't use AMD products in their systems, among other things.

Personally I think the EU will win their next appeal. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

3 Replies Related Threads

revenantx02
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 1457
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Intel Wants $625 Million in Interest From the EU After Overturned Antitrust Fine 2022/06/22 22:51:36 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
     For those that don't remember the original reason for the antitrust fine, Intel was accused of giving rebates to certain partners and system integrators to make sure they didn't use AMD products in their systems, among other things.

Personally I think the EU will win their next appeal. 

Makes me think back to working retail.
    Intel does annual competitions where they give a ton of prizes.
    They send out secret shoppers to the stores and if the employees don't push Intel over the competition by using quotes, phrases and benchmark comparisons, the store loses points and doesn't win.

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Intel Wants $625 Million in Interest From the EU After Overturned Antitrust Fine 2022/06/26 17:00:16 (permalink)
    EU vs a company. Amazing how powerful some companies can be.

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30974
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Intel Wants $625 Million in Interest From the EU After Overturned Antitrust Fine 2022/06/26 20:25:38 (permalink)
    you cant makeup a better story

I'm sure nothing will happen until all appeals are exhausted, then its up to the law on interest owed if Intel prevails

Probably a shot across the EU's bow to possible influence future actions against Intel

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile