EVGA

3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues.

Author
DopeAnteater
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/06/13 15:04:20 (permalink)
In early 2019, I purchased a 1080ti secondhand, and it worked until March 2020, when it began artifacting and unable to render games properly. I put the card under extensive testing to ensure that no other parts within the system could be causing the issue, this included a new motherboard, PSU, and memory each separately installed and troubleshooted, so I then RMAed the card after the problem persisted. After receiving my new card about a week later, the issue re-occurred. I RMAed that card, and the replacement I received 14 days after that also did not function.
At this point I had given up, so I purchased a new EVGA 2080ti at Best Buy in May of 2020. It worked for 2 years excellently. About 2 weeks ago, it would not boot properly, and I again put it under extensive testing and confirmed that the card was the issue. I RMAed that card, and the one I received yesterday now has artifacting issues, less than 24 hours after installing it.
I contacted customer support over the phone to see what could be done about the issues, and they simply stated that all they could do was RMA the card once more. However, I am obviously wary of doing this because I need a functioning graphics card in order to work, and I need a card that will actually work as soon as possible; so far RMA has not been the solution whatsoever.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to replace the card with a working one, or what could possibly cause my cards to regularly fail?

8 Replies Related Threads

CraptacularOne
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14533
    • Ribbons : 222
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/13 16:21:57 (permalink)
    If cards are all regularly failing in your system I'd start investigating more closely the rest of your system. What you are experiencing is not typical. Could be any number of things from your power supply not delivering stable and "clean" power to the video card to the wiring in your house or UPS used....etc. This isn't normal and continually RMAing cards only to have them fail while not changing any other variables will just result in the same outcome...another RMA. 

Intel i9 14900K ...............................Ryzen 9 7950X3D
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio................ASRock Phantom RX 7900 XTX
    Samsung Odyssey G9.......................PiMax 5K Super/Meta Quest 3
    ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming........ASUS TUF Gaming X670E Plus WiFi
    64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 6800Mhz.......64GB Kingston Fury RGB 6000Mhz
    MSI MPG A1000G 1000w..................EVGA G3 SuperNova 1000w
    BiggyNewton
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 145
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/13 17:26:31 (permalink)
    CraptacularOne
    If cards are all regularly failing in your system I'd start investigating more closely the rest of your system. What you are experiencing is not typical. Could be any number of things from your power supply not delivering stable and "clean" power to the video card to the wiring in your house or UPS used....etc. This isn't normal and continually RMAing cards only to have them fail while not changing any other variables will just result in the same outcome...another RMA. 

100% agreed.  Owned lots of cards over my life and rarely had to RMA.

Associate code: EKA5I8R4C7M401L
    Thanks to anyone using my code!
    DopeAnteater
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/14 22:11:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I have tried changing other variables, as in putting the cards in different systems entirely, and troubleshooting each individual part by swapping them with brand new components. There is a possibility that the power is an issue, but the first issue I experienced was in a different house, and swapping PSUs had no effect. Would power issues occur suddenly, after multiple years of the card functioning excellently?
    And would it cause 3 very different issues?
    post edited by DopeAnteater - 2022/06/14 22:20:01
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/15 09:29:50 (permalink)
    Dang, that is a lot of RMA pain. 

However those are two different GPU lines .... One Used 1080Ti & then your New 2080Ti issue after 2 years of use

Where all of those GPUs - in the same PC with the same monitor & video cable ?

Your monitor OR the video cable to monitor could possibly have some sort of issue - bad connection somewhere ?

Testing in a different PC, monitor & cable - before using in the suspect PC might a good future test

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

DopeAnteater
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/15 11:05:08 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Dang, that is a lot of RMA pain. 

However those are two different GPU lines .... One Used 1080Ti & then your New 2080Ti issue after 2 years of use

Where all of those GPUs - in the same PC with the same monitor & video cable ?

Your monitor OR the video cable to monitor could possibly have some sort of issue - bad connection somewhere ?

Testing in a different PC, monitor & cable - before using in the suspect PC might a good future test

I have 2 monitors: both have been the same the whole time. One Acer 2K 144fps, and 1 LG 4K 60fps. The Acer monitor has had the same cable throughout its lifespan, the other LG has had 2 different cables.
    I agree that using the graphics card in a different system before they start having issues is the best way to isolate the problem, but it’s not super feasible as I sadly do not have 2 systems.
    Of course, sent out RMA cards are tested by EVGA beforehand. The customer service representative I spoke to did however tell me that if a card is sent in to EVGA, and it has no visible issues after being tested, they simply send it back out without changing the card whatsoever, which was a little worrying.
    At the end of the day, it’s seeming like the best possibility is to wait for the new generation of Nvidia cards to come out, and update my system entirely…
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/15 12:13:47 (permalink)
    First, we need to acknowledge that removing, shipping to or from, and installing, are physical processes which increase the odds of physical damage, thermal stress, electrostatic damage, or any other possible damage (x-ray?, etcetera). Some could be caused by that.
    Second, we need to acknowledge that failures of components are on a probabilistic bathtub curve. This means that while your card is increasing in likelihood of failure due to age, the card you will eventually receive from EVGA is similarly increasing in probability of failure due to age. Some could be caused by that.
    Third, we need to acknowledge that testing will never find all faults. Just because EVGA doesn't find a problem with a card, doesn't mean that you won't find a problem with a card received from EVGA as a RMA replacement from someone else's stepup card or RMA or whatever history it had.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

DopeAnteater
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/28 20:38:42 (permalink)
    Figured I'd post an update: I RMAed one more time and the card is working well so far (3 days)! Given that the other cards failed almost instantly, it looks like this one is holding on well and I got unlucky with the cards received. This time, I asked for a card with 'extensive testing' after the customer service representative offered it to me, and it looks like that has made the difference, so to anyone reading the thread that option could be a solution or a big help!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 3 RMA cards dead on arrival, separate experiences and issues. 2022/06/29 09:06:33 (permalink)
    thanks for update

glad your happy

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile