Author
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2365
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 39
2022/05/23 13:10:46 (permalink)
I need some advice.

So, I'm still very happy with my Dark Water build, it is probably sticking around for a while. That said, I can't help but wonder what's next.

Then I had this project at work where we were doing LED burn-in regularly and had a horrible setup for heat-sinks that was cumbersome, expensive, and very loud. I don't want to bore you with what we were using, but I decided to make us an upgrade.

What you see here is (just in case questions come up...skip ahead if you just want to hear what I'm on about):
1. MO-RA3 420 pro with heatkiller reservoir
2. 18 Arctic P14 fans
3. a fan hub,
4. a Noctua manual PWM controller (this isn't a computer so we needed a manual method/knob to turn up/down the fan-speed),
5. a cheap SFX power supply we had kicking around
6. EKWB D5 and ZMT 10/16 tubing (the thickest walled stuff I could get)
7. Koolance elbow fittings and QD3 quick disconnects
8. a big cold plate that we had machined with mounting holes to fit a few types of LED boards. It is rated for 800W of heat. Most we throw at it is probably 700 (light ~150W heat-load on it in the picture)
9. couple temp sensors, one on koolance in-line fitting, one on the bottom of the cold-plate
10. hour counter
11. bunch of cardboard simply there to prevent passers-by from blinding themselves.

I was all worried about how loud 18 of these fans would be, but they're super quiet, even at full-speed. The power supplies running the LEDs are much louder lol. I've been super impressed with the performance of this radiator. That has led me to the questions I have for you lovely folks and your great collection of knowledge and experience with water cooling and custom builds.

A. Is there a better "big rad" out there than this one?
      It's pretty amazing and their set of brackets and available accessories is quite good. The only issues I have had are that the front guard was rubbing on the bottom-right fan. I put a little connector socket I found kicking around on a work-bench under the fan-guard between the bottom-middle and bottom-right fans (nobody notices unless I point it out) and it fixed it entirely. Also, there must be better solutions for the fan and pump wiring. I'm left with this bundle of stuff there that I don't know what to do with. I generally didn't want to daisy-chain 9 fans together on a single extension cable, let alone 18, hence the hub. I still daisy-chained each row of 3 fans, but it doesn't look as clean as I'd really like it to. Has anybody tried the larger fans? Are they quieter or easier to work with? Do you still get the static pressure and performance?

B1. (the big question) If I wanted to build a PC in a medium-small case, and just run tubes out to one of these behind it/next to it...what case would you recommend? Obviously, I'd want to make my next case fully water-cooled. I'd probably have to sell my Optimus reservoir or try to find a case it still fits in...and 

B2. What if I wanted to keep my EK 420mm rad? I could keep that inside the case, run the whole system near-silent, and put the MO-RA in the loop too. The more the merrier, right? I think I'd probably want to consider a second D5. So then I'd just have to get a D5 and a res-less pump-top...which is fine...but this is a problem that I probably don't have to explain: You can't fit a 420mm rad into a small case. So then how do I fit it all on my desk? The obvious thing would be to move the chachki on the little shelf above my desk and make it a rad-shelf...but then I'd have to run the tubes up to there, definitely put the reservoir and pump(s) up there so life is easier on them...but it becomes quite the cumbersome system to drain.

So, in terms of A, and the Bs...what do you all recommend? Is there a set of hardware better than the watercool.de stuff for the rad and accessories or a case series that is ideal for this sort of external-rad setup? Should I just sell the 420mm rad?

Thanks for any suggestions. I like research and this is probably a project for whoever is winning the CPU race in 2023/2024 and whatever water-cooled monster of a GPU comes out in that timeframe, so there's no rush.
post edited by B0baganoosh - 2022/05/23 13:19:55

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.

18 Replies Related Threads

zippytek
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1185
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/07/14 13:47:06 (permalink)
    I don't think i've ever been in this forum :D

aquacomputer makes a "gigant" series of big rads:

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3371

their shipping costs are very high to the US tho, but i love their pumps and flow meters!

to run my loop out from the o11d XL to the mora3 360 i'm using the watercool pcie passthrough bracket:

https://www.aquatuning.us/water-cooling/tubing/tubing-accessories/23990/watercool-pci-slot-pass-through-bracket

and some koolance QD3 quick disconnects along with a mora mounted heatkiller pump/res combo. pump is a d5 next. i used sata to molex adapter and some sata extenders to run power out from the case through the pcie slots to an OCTO for fan controller:

https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3832&language=en

i have a heatkiller 150 tube and laing D5 pump res combo in case, with 2x SR2 hwlabs rads, so currently 2 rads plus the mora with 2 pumps and 2 res to cool the 5950X (optimus foundation block). I have 6900XTX (LC scalped w heatkiller block) waiting to be plumbed in, but right now i have a 3050 air cooled XC3 in there as i've been too busy/lazy to finish it up. 

post edited by zippytek - 2022/07/14 13:54:01
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/07/14 14:22:09 (permalink)
    I really like how simple that I/O pass-through is. Thanks for that!

Some great choices on your stuff too. I use the same quick disconnects on stuff at work too; they're super handy.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
    kraade
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2363
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/07/14 15:54:26 (permalink)
    I am looking at an Alphacool 1080 and maybe using a Mini Lian li case with QDs and external 1080 rad with P12s and run them off a molex adapter because wide open they are not that loud , maybe building a box and use an extra psu to run the pump and Rad station 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/07/14 17:10:53 (permalink)
    IN Marketplace:  FS: Custom Made GPU Back Plates, Support Brackets, HD & SSD Covers, Case Panels, & Cases!

I have an order in for this Custom case with a few minor changes ... but there are others

you could design your own

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/26 13:07:51 (permalink)
    I thought I'd post a slight update on this. I'm going to pull the trigger in a couple months (Christmas time!) and get a MO-RA3 420 Pro with 4 of the 200mm Noctua fans.

I'm just going to put this beast on top of my PC for now. Some day I may go with a new case that lets me just go full water-cooled inside to keep the case small, but my current case will allow for this sort of mod, add complete future-proofing for a wet GPU to replace this hybrid. Also, it'll keep up with whatever hardware I throw at it, and all the hardware keeps getting hotter.

My current plan:
    MO-RA3 420 Pro radiator ("For Noctua NF-A20" version)

MO-RA3 420 radiator grill (black, high version)

MO-RA3 feet

MO-RA3 Adaptor (I'm going to modify this to mount my Optimus reservoir and the Watercool D5-top below, making it a dual-pump system)

Noctua NF-A20 chromax black fans (x4)

MO-RA3 X-Splitter for NF-A20 fans (splits power to the 4 fans)

4-pin fan cable 90cm extension cable (this one runs the 4 fans on the rad)

Watercool heatkiller D5-top (going to go dual-pump for the added redundancy with the increased flow resistance added to the loop)

WCP D5 PWM Pump (anybody see any issues with running two different brand pumps? Pretty sure they're all the same and they'll be getting the same PWM signal)

Watercool PCI Pass-through bracket (thanks for the tip on this one, Zippy!)

Screw Plug G1/4 (seems I need some of these for the pump top)

Koolance rotary elbow fitting 10mmx16mm (x6, these are super sweet and easy to work with. I figure all the rad/pump fittings will be these)

Koolance male quick disconnect 10mmx16mm (x2 between rad and PC)

Koolance female quick disconnect 10mmx16mm (x2 between rad and PC)

EKWB 10mmx16mm black fittings (x2 I did a count and came up two straight fittings short, so I'm just going to get more of these as they'll match what I already have inside the PC)

be quiet! Silent Wings 4 Pro 120mm fans (x2, this change will relocate my reservoir, so I can go full push-pull on the 3080ti rad. I can always use these later if I reconfigure things too)

EK-Tube ZMT 15.9/9.5mm (5/8"x3/8") (1 box, ~10ft) (more tube!)

4 pin molex extension cable (48in, to run the remote pumps. I have to double check to see if I also need SATA power out there)

4-pin PWM Fan extension cable - 90cm (to run speed control to the pumps)

Temperature sensor (I don't have a water-temp sensor in the system right now. Please provide recommendations if you know of a simpler thing than this. I don't want it to take up a bunch of room and I don't care to have alarms and whatnot)

EK quantum torque extender 14 (this goes between the temp-sensor and the PCIe pass-through. I'm just going to stick the sensor down there where it's not noticeable and wires can be managed)

I'm open to any suggestions/comments/feedback/etc. I appreciate it all!

kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/26 17:56:44 (permalink)
    I was going to mention the A20 HS fans as an option, but I see your link actually goes to those and not the vanilla A20's. The HS fans give you 50% higher RPMs yet double the static pressure, but they will probably need fan control as they should be clearly audible at 1200rpm.

I am planning a MO-RA 420 build myself, have half the parts already but haven't yet decided between stock A20 fans or A20 HS fans that would require fan controllers and extra wiring to deal with. But if you want a really quiet build then there's probably no sense in getting the HS fans, 700-900RPM seems to be the range any case fan becomes audible.

Have water, will cool. 
    atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 08:54:38 (permalink)
    I would recommend a Corsair HAF X. Top back of the case have tube holes rubber cover to have tubes coming in or out of the case

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 13:15:16 (permalink)
    kougar
    I was going to mention the A20 HS fans as an option, but I see your link actually goes to those and not the vanilla A20's. The HS fans give you 50% higher RPMs yet double the static pressure, but they will probably need fan control as they should be clearly audible at 1200rpm.

I am planning a MO-RA 420 build myself, have half the parts already but haven't yet decided between stock A20 fans or A20 HS fans that would require fan controllers and extra wiring to deal with. But if you want a really quiet build then there's probably no sense in getting the HS fans, 700-900RPM seems to be the range any case fan becomes audible.

Yeah, the high speed ones are they only ones they sell on Watercool's site. As an aside, I think it's awesome they do free shipping from Germany to US, so there's no incentive to order from one of the US distributors that puts mark-up on the parts. 

But yeah, There's a 4-pin extension cable I'm planning to run to a motherboard header so I can control the fan speed. The radiator I have at work is hooked up to a little Noctua PWM speed controller that has a knob on it so you can just manually set the speed. Those Arctic 140mm fans are so quiet though, you can run all 18 of them and barely notice the thing is on in the lab. Not sure if you'd feel the same way with it sitting next to you at a computer desk, but they're crazy quiet.

Only thing I've realized I'm missing is a PWM splitter to go between the two pumps so they're both running at the same speed.

redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 13:20:35 (permalink)
    sick build plan!  +1 on the A20-HS vs regular A20

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 13:25:44 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    Yeah, the high speed ones are they only ones they sell on Watercool's site. As an aside, I think it's awesome they do free shipping from Germany to US, so there's no incentive to order from one of the US distributors that puts mark-up on the parts. 

They also sell the normal version https://shop.watercool.de/Noctua-NF-A20-PWM-chromaxblackswap-800rpm-200x200x30mm_1 They used to sell all four variations, but I see they no longer stock the brown 800rpm one. 

And yeah, the free shipping above 400 amount is nice, though it makes it expensive if you wanted to order one HS fan just to get some hands on experience with its noise profile before committing to such a big investment. I also find it odd that the HS fans are cheaper than the regular A20's... really makes me wonder as to why.

Have water, will cool. 
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 13:54:19 (permalink)
    kougar
    B0baganoosh

They also sell the normal version https://shop.watercool.de/Noctua-NF-A20-PWM-chromaxblackswap-800rpm-200x200x30mm_1 They used to sell all four variations, but I see they no longer stock the brown 800rpm one. 

And yeah, the free shipping above 400 amount is nice, though it makes it expensive if you wanted to order one HS fan just to get some hands on experience with its noise profile before committing to such a big investment. I also find it odd that the HS fans are cheaper than the regular A20's... really makes me wonder as to why.

I think it's only 200Euros.

redteamgo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 798
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/27 15:39:02 (permalink)
    kougar

I also find it odd that the HS fans are cheaper than the regular A20's... really makes me wonder as to why.

edit: wait nm, you meant on WCUs website.  i noticed that too but not sure either.  below is why its cheaper to buy direct vs importer right now but probably obvious i guess.

its an FX imbalance and timing thing.  Austria and germany are in the EU so no VAT applied on WCU importing the noctuas (pretty sure), resulting in a lower overall markup in EUR.  EURUSD is at 1:1 parity and US buyers do not have to pay VAT when exporting.  so the US gets the benefit of direct import pricing from austria, dollar strength when buying overseas and excluding VAT tax on export PLUS the US buyers avoid paying sales tax on import to the US when buying direct rather than through a US distributor.  no matter what, its a great deal right now if you order with free shipping

historically, EUR VAT pricing is roughly the equivalent in USD all in cost because of the favorable EURUSD exchange rate.  however, the USD has strengthened significantly YTD for a variety of reasons

(dont tell WCU, they're going to pump up the prices )
    post edited by redteamgo - 2022/10/27 15:44:11

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
    GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
    MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
    PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
    Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
    NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
    Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
    Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/30 21:26:50 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh

Free shipping to North America from watercool.de requires $500 now, used to be 400 as I recall. Otherwise it's $25 just to ship a single A20.

Have water, will cool. 
    808sting
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 462
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/30 23:27:46 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh
    I thought I'd post a slight update on this. I'm going to pull the trigger in a couple months (Christmas time!) and get a MO-RA3 420 Pro with 4 of the 200mm Noctua fans.

I'm just going to put this beast on top of my PC for now. Some day I may go with a new case that lets me just go full water-cooled inside to keep the case small, but my current case will allow for this sort of mod, add complete future-proofing for a wet GPU to replace this hybrid. Also, it'll keep up with whatever hardware I throw at it, and all the hardware keeps getting hotter.

I had very similar thoughts.  Either be lazy and get a Koolance ERM or build a MO-RA3 360/420.  I ended up with the ERM-3K3UC v2.3.  It's expensive, smaller heat exchanger, but turn-key and quiet.  Easier to keep clean and a nice package.  My biggest challenge is finding a source that is in-stock and reasonable shipping for anything I order.  I would've sourced the MO-RA3 build from multiple places and it added up quickly.  In the end, I don't have any regrets.  I added a flow meter/temp sensor since the ERM has built-in logic, monitoring and controls.

I thought about the Koolance quick disconnects but ended with CPC fittings I had been using for years with my older build.  Using the larger disconnects since they had 3/8" barb options, but they are big fitting with lower flow resistance.
    https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/ns6d17006-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-body-3-8-id-barb
    https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/ns6d22006-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-insert-3-8-id-barb

CPC makes metal versions with different chemical resistance ratings, but I lean towards "practical" (LOL) since I swap parts with other systems often.  Similar pricing to Koolance fittings.

Your MO-RA3 build is going to be a better performing system and provide scalable options.  Not dependent on cases anymore. 

If I had a house like Linus(LTT), I would do a case relocation and move everything to a centralized "server/telecom" room.   Need to buy some lottery tickets...

i9 13900KS, Asus ROG Hero Z690 MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5-6400
    Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    External open-loop w/Velocity2 WB
    Corsair 900D Case
    Firecuda SSD 1TB & 2TB, EVO 970P 1TB, Black 8TB
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    808sting
    iCX Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/10/30 23:36:27 (permalink)
    kougar
    B0baganoosh

Free shipping to North America from watercool.de requires $500 now, used to be 400 as I recall. Otherwise it's $25 just to ship a single A20.

Not so lucky for Hawaii.  We're considered a separate "country" with special shipping rates if you don't use USPS in the USA.  Only a few large e-tailers offer free-shipping and that's with a lot of restrictions.  Shipping liquids or lithium batteries is very difficuilt and/or costly.

Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    Corsair 900D Case
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/11/01 08:37:09 (permalink)
    kougar
    B0baganoosh

It must have gotten confused with what I did or did not have in my cart the other day. I had specifically put in something that was ~35Euros and it said "add ~165Euros to get free shipping". It must have also been including some other items I had in and out of my cart. I checked today and verified what you've said.

B0baganoosh
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/11/01 08:39:03 (permalink)
    808sting
    B0baganoosh

I had very similar thoughts.  Either be lazy and get a Koolance ERM or build a MO-RA3 360/420.  I ended up with the ERM-3K3UC v2.3.  It's expensive, smaller heat exchanger, but turn-key and quiet.  Easier to keep clean and a nice package.  My biggest challenge is finding a source that is in-stock and reasonable shipping for anything I order.  I would've sourced the MO-RA3 build from multiple places and it added up quickly.  In the end, I don't have any regrets.  I added a flow meter/temp sensor since the ERM has built-in logic, monitoring and controls.

I thought about the Koolance quick disconnects but ended with CPC fittings I had been using for years with my older build.  Using the larger disconnects since they had 3/8" barb options, but they are big fitting with lower flow resistance.
    https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/ns6d17006-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-body-3-8-id-barb
    https://www.freshwatersystems.com/products/ns6d22006-valved-in-line-hose-barb-coupling-insert-3-8-id-barb

CPC makes metal versions with different chemical resistance ratings, but I lean towards "practical" (LOL) since I swap parts with other systems often.  Similar pricing to Koolance fittings.

Your MO-RA3 build is going to be a better performing system and provide scalable options.  Not dependent on cases anymore. 

If I had a house like Linus(LTT), I would do a case relocation and move everything to a centralized "server/telecom" room.   Need to buy some lottery tickets...

I have a couple of the Koolance ALH-2000 systems at work and they are anything but quiet when the fans turn on lol. They work pretty great, but I wouldn't want one at home next to my computer.

808sting
    iCX Member
    Re: Watercooling Case for External Rad Suggestions 2022/11/01 14:33:33 (permalink)
    B0baganoosh

I have a couple of the Koolance ALH-2000 systems at work and they are anything but quiet when the fans turn on lol. They work pretty great, but I wouldn't want one at home next to my computer.

I know what you mean.  Our datacenter requirements does not include "quiet".  I had a Asetek Vapochill -40* system.  Finally got rid of it when I didn't want to make a custom pot mount/insulator for newer sockets.  Also, the compressor dumps even more heat in my room.  I run the ERM at 20% fan and plan to replace them with Nidec Typhoon or Noctua PPC fans.  It uses 3-pin and a custom PWM circuit.  Shooting for 1200-1600 RPM.  The newer ALR units are the same heat exchanger at the ERM with modern controls(USB), but with higher current fans.  Much more airflow and louder hence the 4500w capacity.  Now, I'm in the same boat with case decisions.  I need to decide if I want to keep my Bluray burners internal or external.

If that wasn't a factor, it comes down to functiional and aesthetics.  I like the BeQuiet Dark Base, Corsair 5000/7000, Phanteks, Fractal Meshify.  My 900D lasted years, but showing its age.

Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC
    Corsair 900D Case
    Asus & LG BD-RE
    Corsair AX1600i PS
    LG 38GL950B-G
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile