EVGA

PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum

Author
spartakrex
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/05/21 05:39:53 (permalink)
I was thrilled to get a 1600W T2 from the last sale to replace a 1600W P+, which had previously replaced a 1300W P+. Much to my surprise, the T2 is larger (longer) and with all the cabling makes it very difficult to fit in my PSU compartment (running two GPUs so imagine stuffing 6 VGA cables on top of the rest). And does not line up with the cover of the cables compartment or the side vent of the case, so the fan is partially blocked, which inevitably traps heat and leads to more noise. The platinum ones fit perfectly. Definitely an unpleasant surprise. Why wouldn’t the dimensions/design be standard across the EVGA lineup?!

11 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 06:51:39 (permalink)
    T2 and P+ are different lineups.

A P2 and a T2 would be the same lineup.

1600 T2 dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 220mm (L)

1600 P2 dimensions: 85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 220mm (L)

1600 P+ dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 200mm (L)

1300 P+ dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 200mm (L)

You changed lineups while changing power supplies. P+ does not have the same shell as the p/t 2 lineup.

May I ask why you were replacing a P+ for a T2? The platinum plus is still a relatively new power supply and having ~2% more efficiency from the T2 isn’t extremely beneficial when you are spending a could hundred dollars to get that 2% efficiency exchange.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2022/05/21 06:55:45
    spartakrex
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 07:17:31 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    T2 and P+ are different lineups.

A P2 and a T2 would be the same lineup.

1600 T2 dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 220mm (L)

1600 P2 dimensions: 85mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 220mm (L)

1600 P+ dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 200mm (L)

1300 P+ dimensions: 86mm (H) x 150mm (W) x 200mm (L)

You changed lineups while changing power supplies. P+ does not have the same shell as the p/t 2 lineup.

May I ask why you were replacing a P+ for a T2? The platinum plus is still a relatively new power supply and having ~2% more efficiency from the T2 isn’t extremely beneficial when you are spending a could hundred dollars to get that 2% efficiency exchange.

Thank you for sharing the specifications! The reason I replaced it - fell for the marketing campaign of the sale when I received the email (even alerted the forum about the sale) :). I figured getting a better PSU (the T2) to power my dual RTX 3090 Ti GPU system for significantly less (as opposed to hundreds more) than what I had paid for for the P+, which I only recently purchased at Microcenter and can technically still return, was a reasonable upgrade. I have a full tower case (Phanteks Enthoo Pro II). it never occurred to me it may not be sufficient to properly house the T2. I should have done my homework with the dimensions but, honestly, it did not occur even for a second that I might have a dimensions problem.
    spartakrex
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 07:22:48 (permalink)
    And, BTW, in my defense, when chatting with EVGA on a different topic, I recall when asking about the difference between the P+ and the P2, being told one was retail the other OEM, so just labeling. I likely would have made a mental note that the lineup is different and so are the dimensions. Does EVGA have the practice of exchanging across models (e.g., can I return the T2 and get the P+ for what I paid for for the T2)?
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 08:09:38 (permalink)
    They typically don’t do exchanges like other companies do. They would refund you for a returned, now open box, product with a restocking fee, and then sell you another power supply. On top of the extra shipping, it may not be beneficial to return the T2.

If you still have your P+, I would suggest reinstalling it and hold onto the T2 as a spare or for benching or consider selling local for what you paid so you don’t have to ship it to anyone.
    spartakrex
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 08:21:03 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one
    They typically don’t do exchanges like other companies do. They would refund you for a returned, now open box, product with a restocking fee, and then sell you another power supply. On top of the extra shipping, it may not be beneficial to return the T2.

If you still have your P+, I would suggest reinstalling it and hold onto the T2 as a spare or for benching or consider selling local for what you paid so you don’t have to ship it to anyone.

I was thinking the same. Just sent a note to EVGA in case the are willing to be nice :). The T2 might fit in my other system, as the housing is longer once I take out old hard drive cages and the fan vent is longer and in the bottom, although it will be an overkill for what it is (a single GPU) recently powered perfectly fine with an 850W Seasonic PSU. But the T2 might come in handy for next generation GPUs (although who knows what happens with PSUs then)…
    post edited by spartakrex - 2022/05/21 13:01:06
    repo1979
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1116
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 09:55:33 (permalink)
    pm sent
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 11:07:21 (permalink)
    I also would be considering the local market since a fairly new 1600w at the sale price is pretty reasonable for those who missed the sale. Also as for not lining up perfectly it really depends on how imperfect it was since that fan is only going to turn in eco mode when it's near full load which might never happen. That isn't to say that heat doesn't need to escape but as long as the majority is still exposed you should be fine.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

spartakrex
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/21 12:59:47 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    I also would be considering the local market since a fairly new 1600w at the sale price is pretty reasonable for those who missed the sale. Also as for not lining up perfectly it really depends on how imperfect it was since that fan is only going to turn in eco mode when it's near full load which might never happen. That isn't to say that heat doesn't need to escape but as long as the majority is still exposed you should be fine.

That is a fair point. I should probably test it for a bit before giving up. It is only partially covered, I would say 10-15% at most. And, yes, agreed, the T2 at the sale price is more than reasonable.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10098
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/22 02:05:43 (permalink)
    spartakrex
    Hoggle

That is a fair point. I should probably test it for a bit before giving up. It is only partially covered, I would say 10-15% at most. And, yes, agreed, the T2 at the sale price is more than reasonable.

I would think you would be good if it's that much covered as long as you feel that you don't really need 1600W. Then again if you have the Platinum and it offers 100% uncovered it would be ideal. it might also be an option to see if the PSU can be turned over as I had a case that didn't line up for the bottom exhaust on the case and decided to have it vent into the case with 100% uncovered then have it covered.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

spartakrex
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/22 06:49:04 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    spartakrex
    Hoggle

I would think you would be good if it's that much covered as long as you feel that you don't really need 1600W. Then again if you have the Platinum and it offers 100% uncovered it would be ideal. it might also be an option to see if the PSU can be turned over as I had a case that didn't line up for the bottom exhaust on the case and decided to have it vent into the case with 100% uncovered then have it covered.

Again, thank you for your suggestion, the more I think about it the more I realize it should work. Even my initial guess that 10-15% would be covered seems conservative, it is provably less. In this particular PC case, there is really one way to mount the PSU, sideways, with the fan pointing out. If I were to flip it pointing in, there is a PSU shroud that would need to be removed somehow but won’t look/feel good.

On a side note - why in the world would EVGA put the ECO switch on the side of the connections instead of the outer side next to the big power switch as on the P+? Once I manage to stuff all the cables into the PSU housing, the ECO switch would be impossible to reach.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21170
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: PSU Size Titanium vs Platinum 2022/05/22 06:49:15 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    it might also be an option to see if the PSU can be turned over as I had a case that didn't line up for the bottom exhaust on the case and decided to have it vent into the case with 100% uncovered then have it covered.

It's an intake, not an exhaust. And it wouldn't vent into the case, it would suck out of the case. The exhaust is out the back either way.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile